• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, asked whether it would raise Switch prices, says it won't take such actions at this moment, but will continue monitoring situation...

Woopah

Its a non-answer, I don't think there is anything to read here. Nintendo will just release a more expense model instead.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It´s not really a fair comparison since the Xbox 360 is a home console and the Switch is a portable. A better comparison would be to compare it to a Nokia phone that plays Snake.

more like almost 20 year old hardware. Powerwise the Switch is comparable to an Xbox 360.

logic-think.gif

Bragr

Banned
This is blown WAY out of proportion. Nintendo said they are not considering it, they said they were open to it so people won't go crazy about them lying if they potentially would, in case some potential future where components spike. There is no indication they are gonna do this.

But the media is reporting this as "Nintendo is looking to raise prices". They are not.

Fbh

I seriously doubt they'll raise the price of a 2017 console that hasn't even had a price drop since launch. That would be too much, even for Nintendo.
But not giving a definitive answer is in their interest, why confirm they won't raise the price when they can leave a certain uncertainty. "It might get more expensive in the future" is always a better sales argument than "it might get cheaper in the future".

I totally expect Switch 2 games to be $70 though. With no price drops of course.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Everyone and everything will raise in price. Game, consoles, movies. Just prepare for it. Sony just got it out of the way. The other 2 were pretending to be angels and now they're afraid to just come out and say "our price will raise too"

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nintendo makes a boatload of money on hardware and the Switch came out in 2017 I would laugh my ass off if they raised the price.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo already got away with a price increase with the OLED model being $350 roughly 4 1/2 years after the $300 launch price
I suggested that at the time. That they were trying to increase the price without really doing it. I got my ass handed to me for saying that.

yazenov

Nintendo isn't going to raise the price as sales are less than they expected, and any increase would further negatively impact hardware sales. They will delay the price reduction as much as possible and lower the price when sales are sharply declining.

I won't be surprised if the Switch 2 will be released next year anyways (holiday 2023) with a modest upgrade in hardware. Typical Nintendo.

Three

Nintendo are less likely to raise the price to combat rising costs. Not because I think they believe the idea that toys can't go up in price but because just last year they had a stealth price increase already. The OLED version was $50/£40 more expensive for the 2017 console with little to no price drops for 5yrs. All they would need to do is control how many of each version they ship just as MS and Sony do with their bigger loss makers.

Tams

The Switch is almost 6 years old. The fact it hasn't had a price drop despite being two generations behind the current competition already feels like a price increase.
I find it silly to think that just because something is older that it should automatically be cheaper.

It still costs money to produce, and any company (or person) is allowed to make the profit they see fit. Obviously they have to take into account what people are prepared to pay.

The Switch is cheap though. And there's the Lite model, or second-hand ones for those who struggle with even that price.

I find it silly to think that just because something is older that it should automatically be cheaper.

It still costs money to produce, and any company (or person) is allowed to make the profit they see fit. Obviously they have to take into account what people are prepared to pay.

The Switch is cheap though. And there's the Lite model, or second-hand ones for those who struggle with even that price.
Tech prices drop fast. Switch was pretty expensive for what was dated hardware when it launched six years ago. It's super expensive today versus comparable tech.

Of course, Nintendo can charge whatever they want. But, they were selling hardware at a profit in 2017 - something Sony and Microsoft basically never do, especially at launch. In 2022, Nintendo is charging a ton with the OLED model at $350 with comparable specs to the Xbox 360.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They already raised the price when they decided to charge $50 more for the one with the OLED screen in it. But I'm not even mad because that OLED screen is beautiful.

Tams

Tech prices drop fast. Switch was pretty expensive for what was dated hardware when it launched six years ago. It's super expensive today versus comparable tech.

Of course, Nintendo can charge whatever they want. But, they were selling hardware at a profit in 2017 - something Sony and Microsoft basically never do, especially at launch. In 2022, Nintendo is charging a ton with the OLED model at $350 with comparable specs to the Xbox 360.
Do they? Only for things that get successors and for replacements.

Many parts cost the same (if not more with inflation and other issues). The body, the motors, the battery (mature technology), the motherboard, the screen (again mature technology), etc.

And even the SoC can only decrease in cost so much.

-Zelda-

Banned
It's a good thing I have three of them then. two regular ones, and one oled. Why are they doing this, though?

Robb

Gold Member
Ah yes, can’t let those profits per Switch fall below 90%..
The Jetsons Money GIF

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

It's their HUMAN RIGHT to have stuff cheap by time goes, they not doing so it's UNFAIR, hell even the government should be putting their hands on it, they cannot get away with that, everyone else do it, they should be no exception /s

OT: Don't pay too much attention to Nintendo worlds, they'll do whatever to maximize profits and whatever they think internally we will never know until they decide to take actions actively on the matter, obviously they've talked about price increase internally, that's the responsible thing to do on inflation when managing a company... Now if you ask me, they won't raise the price of base switch, they'll do as they did with the OLED: Provide a better version that justifies the price increase

Last edited:
Top Bottom