• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Sony share prices rise to record highs - Surpass Playstation 2 and Wii levels

Rolla

Banned
It reached a high of ¥67,850 ($647.97) per share -- the highest since December 2007, driven by the Wii's first successful year.

Meanwhile, Sony Corporation's stock 2.66% over the course of Thursday to ¥10,025 ($95.67) per share.

It's the first time the company's share price has risen beyond ¥10,000 since 2001, when the PlayStation 2 was growing rapidly.

Playstation and Nintendo flexin like

giphy.gif

Ataraxia

The day PS5 pre-orders went live Sony was at $76 a share - about the same price as an exclusive game - so I bought around 20 shares because I had some extra cash and no PS5 games excited me at the time. If I were to sell them today I would essentially have a free PS5, but I think the stock is still going up so I'm holding on and may even buy more.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The day PS5 pre-orders went live Sony was at $76 a share - about the same price as an exclusive game - so I bought around 20 shares because I had some extra cash and no PS5 games excited me at the time. If I were to sell them today I would essentially have a free PS5, but I think the stock is still going up so I'm holding on and may even buy more.
Yeah, last year I was saying that Sony should be at 150 billion market cap but now.... I think 200 billion would be the target price.

Considering their overall strategy, the Crunchyroll acquisition and their rapidly growing cash reserves / cash on hand (41.6 billion). It points to a company capable to making very dynamic moves, that can anticipate and react to competition very effectively and accurately. The cash and capital really opens up options to them....

I mean, if they hit 50 billion or more in cash by summer, they could potentially buy half the gaming industry out if they wanted. Japanese publishers seem to be protected anyway, so they would be free to snap up western publishers or devs.
I don't think they will do that.... but it opens the floor to anything.

With CDPR's recent difficulties and damage to their reputation (although I am quite enjoying the game) it makes it clear who should be the focus of any major moves in the industry.

They may be looking to something other than gaming to use the cash for though.... possibly film or music expansion.

FritzJ92

Yeah, last year I was saying that Sony should be at 150 billion market cap but now.... I think 200 billion would be the target price.

Considering their overall strategy, the Crunchyroll acquisition and their rapidly growing cash reserves / cash on hand (41.6 billion). It points to a company capable to making very dynamic moves, that can anticipate and react to competition very effectively and accurately. The cash and capital really opens up options to them....

I mean, if they hit 50 billion or more in cash by summer, they could potentially buy half the gaming industry out if they wanted. Japanese publishers seem to be protected anyway, so they would be free to snap up western publishers or devs.

With CDPR's recent difficulties and damage to their reputation (although I am quite enjoying the game) it makes it clear who should be the focus of any major moves in the industry.

They may be looking to something other than gaming to use the cash for though.... possibly film or music expansion.
All of that $41 billion isn’t liquid. It’s a lot less than that.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I bid no confidence after today's Direct. I'm Nintendone. Tired of their bs.
Luckily for all of us, sales matter more than internet whining

Fanboy logic is something else.

also lol at the random dig at CDPR

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Nintendo is a billion dollar plus company that gives us a plastic hula hoop motion gimmick and recycled cardboard toilet paper rolls made into their "vision for VR" gaming and charges
suckers upwards of $100 bucks for it.

Yet they can't be bothered to patch Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for a solid 60fps experience on the Switch. Seriously, I'm done with Nintendo as well.

Nintendo is a bunch of soy boy, hentai watching, cutey honey, hello kitty virgin office cucks.

Solarstrike

"Fanboy" logic eh? Go on the offensive when your view is questioned much? lmao! I'm just stating that I'm done waiting for Nintendo to come around. Done playing Nintendo's wait game. Done giving them the benefit of the doubt. Going to get a nice few hundred bucks for my Switch and 20 boxed games. Done with them sitting along the back burner when there's massive potential to be had from their many IP's. Nintendo is slap happy with a fist full of dollars they don't know what to do with. Their leadership is old world, trying to reach for relevance in a world that has already moved on. Their foresight has cataracts. Where's a new F-Zero? Where's a new Punch-Out!!, at least (would work great with the Joycons). They flooded the eShop with so much mediocrity, it's blinded people into thinking the Switch is something unique. It's not. I didn't enjoy playing Breath of the Wild with more jaggies and bland textures than a PS2 game. Nor Witcher 3. I was Mario 3D'd out years ago on the Wii. Speaking of which, I don't know how many Nintendo made/published games I've had to buy over and over to play on their current systems. Nintendo has gotten by easy.

Why haven't they been called out more for their business tactics? As an example, I bought Super Mario 3D World on the Wii/WiiU/3DS from the Nintendo eShop. Why do I have to buy it again for the Switch if my Nintendo account hasn't even changed? At least offer those whom bought the game, a discount for the Switch iteration. I know I'm not the only one who is thinking about this nor thinking they've been seemingly ripped off. Nintendo has been getting away with this sh!t for far too long with not a quip nor raised eyebrow from it's legions of Nintendrones. Nintendo can afford to make the best console, the best games, the best video game anything. But they REFUSE to.

How about 1 picture of Metroid Prime 4 to show the millions of people who were watching the Nintendo Direct feed on February 17, 2021? Just 1 picture! A perfect opportunity for Nintendo to put a foot down to SONY and Microsoft. To show they are still walking, still kicking, still moving forward even though cash is pouring out of their rear ends from all angles. But noOOOOOoooOOOOoo. How long is this repeating daze of festering mediocrity going to last and how long can people stand in it?

Top Bottom