• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja, the Fortnite streamer who's one of video gaming's biggest stars.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/31/tech/ninja-fortnite-stream/index.html

Ninja is, literally, killing it. The 94,958 Fornite kills he had racked up at last check have helped him earn what he says is close to $10 million this year. Blevins and his colorful hair (neon red at the time of this interview) have become a cultural phenomenon, and his skills and personality have helped make Fortnite the behemoth that it is — one that drove its company, Epic Games, to a reported profit of $3 billion this year.

Blevins burst onto the scene after a record-breaking live stream (628,000 concurrent viewers, a record which he's since broken) with rap icon Drake back in March. Since then he has become a must-see on social media and more importantly, a must-stream. Ninja's "bread and butter," he says, are YouTube and Twitch, a streaming video platform. He estimates 70% of his income comes from the two services.

Every time one of Ninja's 20-million plus YouTube subscribers watches a pop-up ad on his channel he earns a percentage of the ad sale, and most of Ninja's videos on YouTube have been viewed millions of times. On Twitch, more than 12.5 million users follow him, and almost 40,000 pay to watch, subscribing to three different tiers and forking over either $4.99, $9.99 or $25 per month to watch Ninja blast his way to big bucks. Because users don't have to subscribe, ad dollars help the platform and its streamers make money too. Still, Blevins thinks Twitch "could do a much better job incentivizing" people to choose the pricier subscriptions; he compared Twitch to a giant "violin case" for a street performer, with people just throwing in what they feel is right.

The rest of Blevins' income is from sponsors like Samsung, Uber Eats and Red Bull. And those sponsors, along with Ninja's September appearance on the cover of ESPN The Magazine, lead to a major question about him and his peers in the burgeoning esports community: Are they athletes? Blevins said he sees himself instead as a small business owner, equating gaming to a small coffee shop. "They're gonna find another coffee shop if you're not there ... you have to be there all the time," he said.

Ninja mans that "coffee shop" for 12 hours a day, he estimates, working out to nearly 4,000 hours of Fornite this year alone, the equivalent of more than 140 days. Each and every time he's away from the shop, Blevins and wife/manager Jess are calculating how many subscribers they're losing, and how much money they're not earning. While the couple does carve out time for one another each day, their last vacation was their honeymoon eight years ago. And even that trip, long before Fornite, was still cut short for professional gaming.

Fornite has 200 million registered players around the world, a 60% increase since June, and Blevins says he thinks it's nowhere near peaking. No matter how long its popularity lasts, Blevins is enjoying his moment in the sun. He appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" earlier this month, and has recently been moving into other revenue streams, like a clothing brand and music. He's released a rap album called "Ninjawerks" and "Fortnite Rap Battle," a compilation video in which he stars, has been viewed nearly 80 million times on YouTube.

Durask

Ninja mans that "coffee shop" for 12 hours a day, he estimates, working out to nearly 4,000 hours of Fornite this year alone, the equivalent of more than 140 days. Each and every time he's away from the shop, Blevins and wife/manager Jess are calculating how many subscribers they're losing, and how much money they're not earning. While the couple does carve out time for one another each day, their last vacation was their honeymoon eight years ago. And even that trip, long before Fornite, was still cut short for professional gaming.
Fornite has 200 million registered players around the world, a 60% increase since June, and Blevins says he thinks it's nowhere near peaking. No matter how long its popularity lasts, Blevins is enjoying his moment in the sun. He appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" earlier this month, and has recently been moving into other revenue streams, like a clothing brand and music. He's released a rap album called "Ninjawerks" and "Fortnite Rap Battle," a compilation video in which he stars, has been viewed nearly 80 million times on YouTube.
While parents are watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve, Ninja will be capping off the best year of his life. As Fortnite fans wait for the battle bus, he'll be streaming on his Twitch page in front of an invite-only audience in Times Square, going from 4 p.m. ET to 4 a.m. ET in what he promises will be an "epic, cool, incredible time" — or just another day at the office for one of the hottest gamers on the planet.

He certainly works hard for his money.
The plus is that by the time he is 30 he can probably stop and retire and just do whatever for the rest of his life. But right now it certainly does not sound like fun.

I’ve never understood understood the appeal of streams. I mean, other than the girl streamers. The appeal is obvious in that case. Both of them. But I just don’t understand, fundamentally, what the appeal is of watching someone play a game. It’s like watching someone eat a ham sandwich. Sure, they get a ham sandwich, but all I get is a hankering for a ham sandwich.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I’ve never understood understood the appeal of streams. I mean, other than the girl streamers. The appeal is obvious in that case. Both of them. But I just don’t understand, fundamentally, what the appeal is of watching someone play a game. It’s like watching someone eat a ham sandwich. Sure, they get a ham sandwich, but all I get is a hankering for a ham sandwich.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about trying to get into the streaming thing but to be honest it sounds like taking what should be fun and making it work.

It's like when Ivan Drago flips out in Rocky 4 when told to win for Mother Russia and says "I FIGHT FOR ME! FOR ME!!!!" well "I GAME FOR ME! FOR ME!!!"

I don't like the idea of having to game "for an audience" and worry about entertaining anyone other than myself, I'd rather work just actually be work because at least then you can spend your free time doing what you want how you want to, turning your hobby into your job just sounds like taking the fun out of it to me.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, you could ask a similar question when it's about real sports like soccer, basketball etc.
I guess you're now the old dude that didn't go with the times... Sort of like grown ups were to us when video games came up in general or we were passionate about Dragonball and shit.

I myself do not get the appeal of watching streams either but I guess that is what today's youth is passionate about and hence I won't be the old dude that yells at the clouds and tells them they are stupid for doing that. I mean, I hated these old geezers in my youth so...

Grinchy

Banned
He's making more than many big name Hollywood actors do in a year. I guess it's worth at least pointing out that he probably has to be "on" for more hours per day and grind/work more often than those actors, but it's crazy to think of the kind of money he's pulling in.

He's making more than many big name Hollywood actors do in a year. I guess it's worth at least pointing out that he probably has to be "on" for more hours per day and grind/work more often than those actors, but it's crazy to think of the kind of money he's pulling in.

But when it consumes your whole life and you never really have time to be "off", is it really worth?

Money isn't everything.

Grinchy

Banned
But when it consumes your whole life and you never really have time to be "off", is it really worth?

Money isn't everything.
I think it's worth doing for 5 years and being set for your lifetime and your childrens' lifetimes financially. Some people work 2 jobs and have no lives just to barely scrape by with their families. Especially men who are divorced and lost everything. I bet they'd be glad to work from home for 12 hours a day and be millionaires instead.

meirl

Banned
Still don’t the hype for streams or any lets plays.

Why would anyone like to watch other people playing a game? I enjoy playing the games myself, not watching other people playing games. lol.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Why would anyone like to watch other people playing a game? I enjoy playing the games myself, not watching other people playing games. lol.

It's the same as watching other people play football, basketball, etc. Also, every kid today is into fortnite, these streamers are their age's stars so they watch them every day.

Last edited:

Helios

Because they're entertainers. Why do people watch cooking shows when they could just cook at home?

Ridaxan

Because they're entertainers. Why do people watch cooking shows when they could just cook at home?
Likewise, why do people watch football if they can just go outside and kick a ball themselves? :p

It's entertainment. Different people choose different distractions.

Fuz

Banned

You and me both. Looking at streamers seems just a waste of my precious time. Probably we're just old grumps that don't understand what's hip with the kids.

Likewise, why do people watch football if they can just go outside and kick a ball themselves? :p
Because you need other people to play with and there's no matchmaking.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
My nephew loves this kid. He plays Fortnite all day long and watches streams of Ninja playing Fortnite all day long. And I just sit there shaking my head like the grumpy old man I´ve become, thinking the game is complete crap.

Lucumo

You and me both. Looking at streamers seems just a waste of my precious time. Probably we're just old grumps that don't understand what's hip with the kids.
I mean, watching people play competitively (back in the day on TV) has been a thing for a long time. Considering I've basically been watching for 15 years, I'm pretty sure I don't fall into the "kids territory". Then again, competitive games (or "esports" nowadays) is still quite different from random streamers. On the other hand, watching other people (mostly your friends) has also been a thing for even longer. Remember back in the day when you visited someone and you couldn't play together on their computer (or it was a singleplayer console game)? At least I do. Watching a streamer is basically just that, with a larger audience mostly.

Fuz

Banned
Remember back in the day when you visited someone and you couldn't play together on their computer (or it was a singleplayer console game)?
I still do that with my friend.

And it's a completely different thing than watching a stranger playing a game when you could play yourself.

Shin

Banned
Normally I'd say celebrate the success and not the person, but in this case the person is the success story itself.
Which is rather interesting because on his road to success he made a racist remark on stream and leaked someone's personal data.
I don't think it will end there, as for success it does help that Fornite blew up this big but have to give him credit for capitalizing on it also.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I will never understand the appeal of watching someone do something I would rather be doing myself.

Ten_Fold

I don’t enjoy watching people play games, but if it’s a fighting game tournament then of course I’m going to watch, it’s like watching a good basketball game on tv. Anyways I don’t get ninja’s appeal I guess I never play Fortnite or anything to understand lol.

Deanington

He certainly works hard for his money.
The plus is that by the time he is 30 he can probably stop and retire and just do whatever for the rest of his life. But right now it certainly does not sound like fun.

I am pretty sure he can retire now. The dude made 10 million this year. Thats retirement money for life. Putting some of that money into an ira for your future. Pay off a moderate size home, vehicles, college for kids, etc. Youre golden.

Well, you could ask a similar question when it's about real sports like soccer, basketball etc.
Never understood sports either. Playing sports is fun. Watching sports is... tedious?

I guess you're now the old dude that didn't go with the times...
I’m used to it. I’ve been a grumpy old fart since I was a kid. I just needed to wait for my body to grow into it.

Sort of like grown ups were to us when video games came up in general or we were passionate about Dragonball and shit.
I get Dragonball. Usually, whenI see a bunch of people (like me) enjoying something, I try to share that enjoyment in some way. Usually, I come out of it not sharing that enjoyment, but at least understanding it on some level. When my daughter spends all day watching Fortnite and Overwatch videos, I can not understand the appeal. Our house has literally thousands of video games, even the worst of them are more fun to play than Fortnite is to watch. I mean, she watches Fortnite YouTube videos on her iPhone while playing Fortnite on her PS4!

The only thing I can think is that it is part of this weird multitasking compulsion that later generations seem to have. I mean, when I watch a movie, I want to be absorbed by it. Most people want to live tweet it. Or check Facebook during it. When my wife gets a text while we’re watching something, you can see the anxiety on her face if she doesn’t check it - even happens in the middle of “cuddle time”. None of this shit is important, but people have a terrible addiction to being online and connected.

I think maybe watching streamers is just part of this addiction. I’m curious when people do their most streamer viewing and if maybe it coincides with times when they can’t do something else?

Grinchy

Banned
I am pretty sure he can retire now. The dude made 10 million this year. Thats retirement money for life. Putting some of that money into an ira for your future. Pay off a moderate size home, vehicles, college for kids, etc. Youre golden.
I definitely couldn't stop after just that one year. A single $10M year can obviously set you up for life, but even if the next year is a decline, another $7M to add to it would really solidify things. I doubt he'd be laying in his death bed wishing he didn't work that one extra year before never working again.

Jae Mara

I find him quite bland as a personality, not much gong on entertainment wise there. He has been streaming since 2011 with a fraction of his success now. With a lot of grind and a whole fuck load of serendipity he became incredibly huge on the back of fortnite.

Never forgot that he doxxed (name and address) a donater on steam during h1z1 days. Got lucky with 48hr suspension. Well if it wasn't one bland dyed haired millenial it would have been another.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
He might as well make some money while the getting's good. I've done streaming in the past and had a decent number of people watching at once thanks to larger channels raiding me, and talking / interacting constantly was surprisingly draining. Being "on" all the time definitely isn't for everybody. Hopefully popular streamers are being responsible and chucking a lot of what they make in the bank for lean times. Whenever the next recession hits, their revenue will likely dry up a fair bit, and they'll need to by able to ride out that storm. There's also the whole issue of how making money on the internet has always been very inconsistent. What makes bank now, won't necessarily do as well 5 years down the road.

Playing Fortnite for 12 hours a day sounds worse than my real job. BUT, I didn't quite hit the 10 million mark last year soooooo

Lucumo

I still do that with my friend.

And it's a completely different thing than watching a stranger playing a game when you could play yourself.
Nice one. Here, everyone moved towards different directions after school and almost everyone stopped playing due to DRM (Steam and such on PC) and the worst console generation killing all interest (Wii, PS3 - no one had a 360 obviously).

It depends. If you watch a smaller streamer for several years, it can become pretty comfortable...but of course, it doesn't beat being physically in the same location.

jadedm17

1. Why on earth do people subscribe to Ninja or donate? Ads, views, etc I get... but he's fine, find another streamer to support.

2. Last vacation 8 years? Calculating how much they lose away? What's the point of 10 mil a year if you can't enjoy it? He could tank now and still retire fine. Why live like that? I don't think about how many burgers I could be buying I'd I replaced sleep with work - That's nuts!

Javthusiast

Banned

Money isn't everything.

I would grind these hours. If I made 10 million a year, not even being 30 yet, then why not ''suffer'' through some fortnite and be set for life when you turn 30.

Top Bottom