• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata and Evil Within Game pass version Analysis - Digital foundry

MS already ruining PC gaming.... ouch

unable to mod .. MASTER RACE gonna be pizzed !!!
First shit/dumb post. Congrats.

Lol Blame MS but not SE for not testing and fixing Nier?. Lol. Its not MS responsibility to fix Nier. Its not there game. They just offering platform nothing else. QLOC is not owned by MS and they handled the port.Why people have to rely on mod to get 60fps?

Ultimately blame is on SE, they didn't fix old Steam version and didn't properly test GO version. They just taking free money from Steam and GP version and now ready to release Nier Replicant lol

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
First shit/dumb post. Congrats.

Lol Blame MS but not SE for not testing and fixing Nier?. Lol. Its not MS responsibility to fix Nier. Its not there game. They just offering platform nothing else. QLOC is not owned by MS and they handled the port.Why people have to rely on mod to get 60fps?

Ultimately blame is on SE, they didn't fix old Steam version and didn't properly test GO version. They just taking free money from Steam and GP version and now ready to release Nier Replicant lol

re-read my post moron.

If the port plays the same as the console version its a good port. But then despite playing games on PC I despise PC gaming.

Kuranghi

Borderless fullscreen is the superior solution, though.

The Office No GIF
no GIF
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Little Girls Reaction GIF
Danny Devito No GIF
No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I know you like to be a cheeky chappy you King of Slime you, but what possible reason could you have for saying this? If you say "faster alt-tabbing" you are banned from NeoGAF, I've prearranged it with the authorities.

Last edited:
Says who? I don't care about mods.
I mean, that's fine, but many of us will happily accept bug fixes and improvements (not just skyrim waifu tiddy mods, either) put forth by the community for free, and consider it to be a very important 'feature' of the platform.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I mean, that's fine, but many of us will happily accept bug fixes and improvements (not just skyrim waifu tiddy mods, either) put forth by the community for free, and consider it to be a very important 'feature' of the platform.
Indeed, while it would be nice to not have to need them in a perfect world options for community fixes are great, rather than waiting on anything official (bloodborne👀) .

Kuranghi

Because if you use Windows 10, then by default it runs fullscreen exclusive games in borderless mode without you even noticing the difference.

And if you want to confirm that, just right click on any game you have installed, click on Properties > Compatibility and see if "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" is unchecked.
If it's unchecked, then the game has been running in borderless fullscreen all along.

Maybe that would be a gotcha for someone that just reads about things online and then notices them after the fact but I noticed it because the framepacing and stuttering issues it causes are very obvious to me.

Games that had zero problems when I played them before the update suddenly had stuttering no matter what sync solution I used, so I went online and found people talking about it and learned you have to turn it off to get true exclusive fullscreen. Now I always turn that off by default before I start any game.

So why do you prefer it?

horkrux

A bit low effort this time. You can mod the GP version as well, not sure why they haven't bothered to look into this.

Kuranghi

On a serious note, do you know if the issue happens in all games or if it happens on some of them only?
I usually don't pay much attention to these things, so that may be the reason I don't notice it too frequently.

It definitely doesn't affect every game, but I'd say 9/10 its that when I can't fix micro-stuttering in-game, but now I just set fullscreen-optimisations to off before I even start it because it only ever causes problems when its on rather than off.

Usually I get the settings optimised at a certain resolution (ie its v-sync locked to my target refresh rate with no drops, as drops would cause a v-sync stutter) and then if I notice its skipping a bit on a pan I'll disable in-game v-sync and use nvidia control panel v-sync, then if stutters continue I'll set an fps limit in Rivatuner Statistics Server, (it comes with MSI Afterburner which I have to check GPU/CPU usage and temps, if you set it up it will also shows you frametimes outside of the game, but RTSS has a overlay you can set up anyway so I just use that to check that stuff now) alongside the nvidia v-sync.

If THAT fails then I try RTSS's new(ish) scanline-sync, but you need to not be too near 99% GPU usage or you will get tearing just like v-sync off. Sometimes there are still autosaving/asset loading stutters and you can't defeat them though it not likely to be in place where you are fighting baddies or the like.

Scanline sync is amazing because it adds no latency, like other v-sync does and if you get it set up right then you will also have no tearing, so its best of both worlds, ie no tearing + no added latency.

If you tell me something you playing right now, I'll give you settings to see if you notice the difference, it takes two mins to configure.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Thanks Kuranghi Kuranghi , didn't knew about that scanline sync feature.

At the moment I'm not playing anything, but I'll definitely play around with those settings you've mentioned next time to see if I get some improvements.

No probs mate, I was floored when I discovered it because I had so many recent titles that had these problems and it was really getting annoying. With it I even managed to recently play Abzu without any stuttering/tearing* , at 4K + Max Settings even when you swim through the giant fishballs and such. I spent literal hours trying to do that when I first played it. *Of course because its Unreal Engine 4 is had 2-3 points where it tore due to frametime spikes but it was only at loading points and not when near fish so I considered it a win overall.

These are the two guides I used:

Some of that isn't even necessary now because you can do it in the GUI.

If you are running a game at 60 and have a large GPU headroom (Say you're at 20-30%) you can set scanline-sync to 2x and get no tearing + no added lag + and generally similar input lag to 120hz. I mostly use it for running games at 30hz with max settings + really high resolution so I can get much lower input lag, similar to triple-buffered v-sync@60, but maybe even lower, its been a godsend for recent games like Hitman 3, that game feels AWFUL at 30hz with v-sync, but with s-sync I can max out every graphics setting including SSR and run at native 4K and it feels as good if not better than 60 did with in-game v-sync lag-wise.

Okay I'll stop now lol. PM me if you have questions about s-sync and I'll try and help.

Top Bottom