• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NG owners: Do you find yourself using Performance or Visuals/Fidelity mode more often so far?

Performance mode or Fidelity mode?

• Performance

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Fidelity

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Mix of both

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
Before launch I was sure I would be using fidelity modes most of the time, then the day of launch I was like “performance all the way.” Now a few days later I’m in the middle.

I use performance for Demon Soul’s but I use fidelity for Spidey Remastered and Miles.

I still haven’t booted Godfall but that seems like a performance mode title too.

How about you? On PS5 or Series X|S are you defaulting to one mode or using one more than the other. Using both equally? Let me know!

johntown

Banned
Performance but that is because I still have a 1080p plasma TV. Waiting for next year 4k OLED's. Even after that I will still prefer a smooth framrate over graphics but I am not opposed to using 4k with dynamic scaling.

Tranquil

Haven't played a game yet that gave me the option, but I'll be choosing performance mode each time. I don't want to go back to 30 fps again ever.

Night.Ninja

Banned
30 FPS

tenor.gif

S1h2.gif

The 60fps performance modes have been so good I haven't felt the need to go resolution mode. Yakuza: Like A Dragon for instance looks great in performance mode.

On there One X I always went resolution mode. Series X, Performance.

Kuranghi

I think it totally depends on the game, not next-gen console stuff but I'm playing DQXI on PC right now and with my specs to get locked 60 I need to go for around 1872p, ie very close to 2160p, but I chose to lock to 30 and go for 6K downsampling with enhanced model/shadow LoD/draw distances. UE4 games are becoming my new favourites to tweak due to how good the Temporal AA + sharpening + motion blur is now.

I chose 30 in this case because its turn-based so real-time reactions aren't a big consideration and I wanted it to look like a pre-rendered movie with no aliasing at all (Except tiny transparent chains in shop weighing scales, damn you alpha aliasing! But thats like -1 world problems). I'm so glad I did because it makes the experience like a fairy tale when I literally can't see an errant pixel even if I pause and look at a frame for 30 seconds (Which I don't do ofc, I just play it lol).

Thats kinda the same feeling I have about Spiderman, I know the 60 mode will feel way, way better I just think I'll probably end up on 30 mode anyway because I want it to look the same as DQ XI does, ultra-clean. Even though its a game where you'd think feel was the most important factor I've just finished replaying Spiderman PS4 and at no point did I think that it was unresponsive or laggy, it felt amazing, no pun intended.

This is how I felt about Shadow of the Colossus PS4, I settled on 30 mode because it looked so fucking sharp and beautiful on my super telly. I think the feeling will be the same with MM.

Kuranghi

I still remember PC Gaming when there were like 10 different GPU manufacturers and all different APIs/modes for games and it was a hilarious crapshoot of how each particular game would run on your PC (At 640x480, hopefully 800x600... or dare a man dream... 1024x768) performance-wise.

Like one game is 25 fps and another is 150 fps. Maybe thats why I can get used to 30 pretty quickly after playing loads of games at 60, or its just from going between console and PC gaming every day.

Here is my advice for choosing between fidelity and performance:

* Do NOT switch between them rapidly and see "which one looks smoother" or "which is sharpest" because there is an objective answer to both of those questions.
* Play with each mode for 15-20 mins or so before you decide, or at least enough time to forget about comparing them, just play the game and get into it and don't scrutinise the image.
* I would also always try fidelity modes first because when you change to performance mode it will feel better to play instantly. Its about whether the graphical trade-off is worth it, if you change after 15 mins and think "I literally can't tell the difference and I dont gaf about reflections" you have your answer. If you try performance mode first your timing will be all messed up when you switch to fidelity to try it out and it will just feel bad, trying the fidelity mode first and then changing to performance will only see you reacting faster than before instead of going the other way round where you will be slower due to being used to having more time to react with the shorter frame-times of 60/perf mode.

Only really played Fallen Order on my XSX in Visuals mode, tried performance and it is much more smooth but a bit more blurry. Will try it a bit longer and see which I prefer.

REDRZA MWS

Performance. Set my PS5 global settings to “Performance”, and also set my series x to 1440p, ALLM, VRR, 120hz.

Always value responsiveness over a few extra pixels. Only thing I wish for is for Sony to allow 1440p as a standard output. As it stands in order for the PS5 to reach 120hz it looks like 1080p is the only option. I’m gaming on a 77” 4k OLED, and 1080p isn’t cutting it.

Top Bottom