• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL '23/'24 |OT| Bradyless Edition

Who will win Super Bowl LVIII

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Buffalo Bills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Baltimore Ravens

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• New York Jets

• Detroit Lions

• Los Angeles Chargers

• Seattle Seahawks

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Minnesota Vikings

• New Orleans Saints

• Atlanta Falcons

• Cleveland Browns

• New York Giants

• Denver Broncos

• Green Bay Packers

• Tennessee Titans

• New England Patriots

• Carolina Panthers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickFire

Oh hell no, they need to get Cooper Rush. Lance hasn't proven anything yet, other than getting injured as soon as he took over the reigns for the Niners.
Definitely could be a disaster. The guy has barely thrown the ball in the last 5 years. But I think having him as backup while he learned the position plays might give the team hope for the next few weeks. No way the coach is going to convince them that Wilson (or White) is ready. Their entire identity this season was basically we finally have someone who can play now, so watch out.

Also, if it's a disaster that would be perfectly fine for the Pats. Who, I might add, look like a serious football team again with a competent quarterback. A loss is a loss, but certainly not Jone's fault that his receiver doesn't know how to drag his feet.

Lunarorbit

Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets.
Hell yeah.

When Brady got injured in the season opener in 2008 a jets fan yelled "YES!" at the top of their lungs at the bar I was at. Besides that asshole all 150 people were silent.

I never wish injuries on players but if it's gonna happen... Fuck the jetes

NickFire

Based on him having been considering retirement before going to the Jets, I figured at some point he would lose steam before season ended and really show his age. Never imagined his season would end in the first drive from some fluke injury.

What do you guys think - will he come back or call it a career? Based on his age and prior retirement consideration, my guess would be he calls it a career once the guaranteed money is paid out.

SpiceRacz

Based on him having been considering retirement before going to the Jets, I figured at some point he would lose steam before season ended and really show his age. Never imagined his season would end in the first drive from some fluke injury.

What do you guys think - will he come back or call it a career? Based on his age and prior retirement consideration, my guess would be he calls it a career once the guaranteed money is paid out.

My guess would be he comes back next year. I doubt he'll want to end his career like this.

Toons

This is tragic and I feel bad for him but at the same time this is universal scale irony. Like you couldn't write this if reality had a script

ManaByte

4GdWU1F.jpg

After week 1, I have to go with the 9ers. I think I've said that the last 3 years in the GAF NFL thread, but hey, fuck it.

I was pretty skeptical of Brock Purdy coming back without rust. The guy didn't throw until June and somehow looked very sharp with few mistakes. If their playmakers on both sides remain relatively healthy all year, I don't see any other team in the NFC outside of Philly of having a legit shot at the SB.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

I think it's over .
There's not enough dark caves to help bring him back.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets. Fuck the jets.
Back in high school in the early 80's I was a Jets fan (Al Toon! Mark Gastineau!) and my friends would laugh at me and call the Jets "The year 2000 team".

Here we are in 2023 and still nothing 😆

NickFire

I have zero idea why people keep pushing for him to get a job. He sucked long before he left the Niners and hasn't played a meaningful down in what, 6 or 7 years? If he was a great player, he would have been signed by now, regardless of his baggage.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Since I was the one who posted it please let me elaborate. I want the Jets to sign him exactly for those reasons you posted no one should sign him.

Sincerely, a Pats fan.

Smiggs

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Since I was the one who posted it please let me elaborate. I want the Jets to sign him exactly for those reasons you posted no one should sign him.

Sincerely, a Pats fan.
I'll never forget this play, and I remember one very similar to it when they played the a Colts years ago.

Yes, I know it was a designed run. But you can check out of that to a pass.

Bills fan here.

I'm starting to think that Josh Allen is a dumbass.

That game was in the bag. All he had to do was manage a clock-killing game and just dink and dunk down the field. Instead, we got sugar-rush Josh who tries to do everything on his own, take unnecessary risks with his own health, and throws deep balls into double coverage when guys were open underneath.

It's infuriating. We have 20+ years of Tom Brady footage to provide the blueprint for QBs and teams, and they fucking refuse to use it.

NickFire

I'll never forget this play, and I remember one very similar to it when they played the a Colts years ago.

Yes, I know it was a designed run. But you can check out of that to a pass.

Geeze - give the guy a break already. How could he be sure that the wide open receiver with literally no one covering him was actually a 49er? With so many haters out there you can never know. All the other team has to to is have one player change uniforms and line up on your team. Just because there's no evidence it ever happened doesn't mean it doesn't. Those sneaky cornerbacks change uniforms all the time but the MAN never lets the real reporters talk about it. It's almost as pervasive as when a baseball player pretends to send the ball back to the pitcher but holds it in hopes of tagging an unsuspecting runner. Might even be more common actually. They sell replica jersey's at every team store after all.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This looks... daunting! Would like to get into hand egg but just dont understand it. I mean you even stop playing just so you can show commercials? Or is that an urban myth?

Don't mean half time.

Bills fan here.

I'm starting to think that Josh Allen is a dumbass.

That game was in the bag. All he had to do was manage a clock-killing game and just dink and dunk down the field. Instead, we got sugar-rush Josh who tries to do everything on his own, take unnecessary risks with his own health, and throws deep balls into double coverage when guys were open underneath.

It's infuriating. We have 20+ years of Tom Brady footage to provide the blueprint for QBs and teams, and they fucking refuse to use it.
I think losing Brian Daboll hurt his progression a bit. Allen biggest issue is his turnovers. His last two seasons and counting the last game he had turned the ball over 37 times.

NFL Power Rankings.

"Chiefs lose, but we will keep them above other teams and only move them to #2."

This is a fucking joke. Browns whip the Bengals by 21 and they don't move ahead of them?

I think losing Brian Daboll hurt his progression a bit. Allen biggest issue is his turnovers. His last two seasons and counting the last game he had turned the ball over 37 times.
I agree here. I think in year 3, Daboll was able to reign in Josh's bad instincts and have him take the yards defenses are willing to give him. Do that enough, and the long plays will open up.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is a fucking joke. Browns whip the Bengals by 21 and they don't move ahead of them?

It's why Power Rankings don't mean shit in the scheme of things. It's also why college is so fucking stupid; it's just a popularity contest until you can get into the tiny (current) playoff system.

I think its just a function of being early in the season. High power ranked teams that lose move down but they don't go down so far right away. After week 4 or 5 it makes more sense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think its just a function of being early in the season. High power ranked teams that lose move down but they don't go down so far right away. After week 4 or 5 it makes more sense.
They usually don't get that much better mid season either. They have their projected favorites and they can have two more losses than other teams and still be ranked higher than better record teams or teams that beat them, even if the season was to end then and there, they'd be out.

It usually takes them having total ass whooping's, which I've seen happen often over the years, for them to snap out of their power rankings hype for select teams. And when they used to have comments enabled, which they no longer do as well, people would always call them out with, "we told you so, but you still had them ranked blah blah blah prior."

Just like Buffalo last year. League was trying so hard to sweetheart them, stays trying to make Allen the next Brady lovefest. And a lot of us said, we told you so at the end. There were too any close games they got by with the skin of their teeth.

In the end, Power Rankings are just a fun metric to argue about.

Last edited:

Smiggs

Oh, you're 100% correct. Teams are definitely weighted based on last year's performance, and their off-season moves. There's no sane person that would put Kansas City, who barely lost to a hot Lions team, behind a one win team like the Falcons or the Commanders. Both of those teams may end up good this year, but we know KC will be in the hunt at the very least, and should be given the benefit of the doubt unless they start moving on a downward trajectory.

Top Bottom