• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the hate at the github leak, everything there was 100% accurate, it just wasn't 100% complete. It's the github deniers that look like fools, not the other way around.

Obviously there were changes as development progressed (both increased clocks from the github data, etc.).

I think it's the ones who interpreted the github leak baldly the ones that look like fools. Some people tried to show it off as the final product. Hence all the claims of Mark Cerny lying about RT.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't get the hate at the github leak, everything there was 100% accurate, it just wasn't 100% complete. It's the github deniers that look like fools, not the other way around.

Obviously there were changes as development progressed (both increased clocks from the github data, etc.).
I dont think there were many github deniers. The problem was the folks who refused to entertain any other speculation or rumor because they had and i quote 'hard data'. Every bit of information was tossed to the side. Posters were mocked and derided for not believing that the PS5 was 8 or 9 tflops. There was a poster here who went by R600. He requested an account closure shortly before the PS5 spec reveal, but I am sure he is here by another name now. All he did was dismiss any talk of PS5 having double digit tflops. It just got really really old, and completely sucked the fun out of what made this 'speculation' thread great.

I personally perked up as soon as I saw those Oberon PS4 and Pro profiles. It had to be true, but we didn't know the CU count from that leak. So I entertained a 12 or even 14 tflops GPU. Nope, not allowed. It wasn't until December 2019 when the repository itself was leaked, and people saw that it was 36 CUs. But for a good 4 months or so, all we knew was the 2.0 ghz clockspeed.

And btw, that 2.0 ghz clockspeed shouldve been our first indicator that this thing was not RDNA1 like the leaks suggested. The 5700xt was way too power hungry even at 1.9 ghz. Everyone who believed in the oberon or even the gonzalo leak should've known that it couldn't have been RDNA1.0. But it was dismissed based on hard data. Just like the fact that ray tracing tests werent included in the github folders even though Cerny had confirmed it months before in a wired interview.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont think there were many github deniers. The problem was the folks who refused to entertain any other speculation or rumor because they had and i quote 'hard data'. Every bit of information was tossed to the side. Posters were mocked and derided for not believing that the PS5 was 8 or 9 tflops. There was a poster here who went by R600. He requested an account closure shortly before the PS5 spec reveal, but I am sure he is here by another name now. All he did was dismiss any talk of PS5 having double digit tflops. It just got really really old, and completely sucked the fun out of what made this 'speculation' thread great.

I personally perked up as soon as I saw those Oberon PS4 and Pro profiles. It had to be true, but we didn't know the CU count from that leak. So I entertained a 12 or even 14 tflops GPU. Nope, not allowed. It wasn't until December 2019 when the repository itself was leaked, and people saw that it was 36 CUs. But for a good 4 months or so, all we knew was the 2.0 ghz clockspeed.

And btw, that 2.0 ghz clockspeed shouldve been our first indicator that this thing was not RDNA1 like the leaks suggested. The 5700xt was way too power hungry even at 1.9 ghz. Everyone who believed in the oberon or even the gonzalo leak should've known that it couldn't have been RDNA1.0. But it was dismissed based on hard data. Just like the fact that ray tracing tests werent included in the github folders even though Cerny had confirmed it months before in a wired interview.
The first rumours of Oberon were quickly recapped in 2019 on Eurogamer which I believe was around spring 2019, but Eurogamer updates their articles with a new date so the link below is Dec 2019.

Whichever guys datamined data and claimed PS5 was 36CU, 2ghz and 9.2TF would had been right if the GPU was at 2 ghz. The Eurogamer article even got the 448gb/s ram speed right too.

But turns out Cerny presented the GPU was 2.23 ghz, so the system was 10.2TF.

To me the initial leak was spot on. Who in their right mind would say a new console would have the same 36 CU like PS4 Pro from 4 years ago unless they were confident in it. And they were right. 36 CU. 448 gb/s ram speed correct.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I think you have this backwards, my friend.

Many said wasnt the complete picture.....expect a certain group.

Take a wild guess which group that is.... from what you wrote in your post.

You still have the github leak come up every once in awhile. Not in name, but in spirit.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is what happens when you have the backing of a first party.

Curious if Bathesda polish will increase under MS.
Are you really comparing some of the largest and most complex open world multi-branching RPG games to a game designed to be finished in a single sitting? lol

Sinthor

Gold Member
Would that mean Series S has only 4GB available?
Well, I'm sure it has a reduced memory footprint compared to the Series X. I don't know...I kind of think that with all the quick resume of up to what is it- 3 or 4 games and things like that....the 6GB is probably the price paid for those features. Or it may well be a factor if that's what they strongly recommend that developers use (only up to 10GB) because going over that gets into the slower memory bandwidth that can affect system performance? I still haven't seen definitive information on how that memory works, but an awful lot of people have said that if you touch that slower memory it impacts the whole system. So may be just much better to stick to the 10GB.

reksveks

Well, I'm sure it has a reduced memory footprint compared to the Series X. I don't know...I kind of think that with all the quick resume of up to what is it- 3 or 4 games and things like that....the 6GB is probably the price paid for those features. Or it may well be a factor if that's what they strongly recommend that developers use (only up to 10GB) because going over that gets into the slower memory bandwidth that can affect system performance? I still haven't seen definitive information on how that memory works, but an awful lot of people have said that if you touch that slower memory it impacts the whole system. So may be just much better to stick to the 10GB.
Quick resume isn't using the Ram as fair as we know, it's just dumping the state to the SSD.

reksveks

8GB.

He is talking about the part of the RAM that can be used for games (full bandwidth).

Series X: 10GB
Series S: 8GB
Cause there are people like Joe Miller in the world, I would probably stick to "He is talking about the part of the RAM that is at the full bandwidth"

We already got information saying that games are able to use 13.5GB of memory from the DF article.

In terms of how the memory is allocated, games get a total of 13.5GB in total, which encompasses all 10GB of GPU optimal memory and 3.5GB of standard memory. This leaves 2.5GB of GDDR6 memory from the slower pool for the operating system and the front-end shell.

vivftp

I wonder if Sony are still looking to do save states for the PS5 like earlier patents had mentioned. It'd effectively be a "quick resume" style function but presumably in a smaller package that you could even send to a friend if you wanted. Not unlike the stuff Stadia was promising. I would assume it wouldn't take up any more space than a typical save game file.

Regardless, I imagine we'll be getting some bigger updates for the PS5 this Summer with the rumored update for the internal storage and I wouldn't be surprised if they had the personalized 3D audio feature going where you could tailor the experience to your own individual ears by taking a pic with your phone.

assurdum

Banned
YhNekhc.jpg

FidelityFX present in The Village PS5 demo. 🤷‍♂️
No Way Omg GIF by VTM.be

ToadMan

That's exactly what I said. Netflix kept investing and investing instead of sitting on their laurels. That's why they never made any profit for over ten years. But they HAVE finally started posting profits and stopped borrowing since last year. Their revenue is $25 billion a year and their programming budget is $19 billion. They can cut down that budget to half and double if not triple their profits right away, but they aren't because they know how important it is to continue supporting their platform with content.

As for paying 3rd parties, MS has to do that now because they dont have any first party titles available at the moment. Netflix didnt either and they were paying out of their ass for third party licenses. They still do. IIRC, they paid $500 million for office and more than that for Seinfeld. But they also heavily invested in original programming which costs far less and that's partly the reason why Microsoft bought zenimax. I agree, paying 3rd parties $300 million for one game isnt particularly attractive. But like Netflix, they know that. Like $13 billion of that $19 billion Netflix has budgeted is spent on original programming.

And with Disney+ and HBO breathing down their neck, Netflix pretty much has no choice but to continue to invest in original programming. Which IS good for consumers and thats why I am no longer a gamepass skeptic. MS cant afford to lose subscribers. Especially when Sony decides to join and MS has to start competing with another gaming service.

I don’t think you’ve grasped Netflix’s model. There’s no choice they must keep investing.

The reason this last year looks good for them is because they’ve been unable to invest in new content which has left money in the bank. That’s why they can say they won’t borrow going forward - they’ve built up a surplus of cash and a deficit of content.

The reason their share price is tanking now is because with no new content investors are expecting a downturn in subscriptions and that’s exactly what happened.

Subscriptions need continual new content. It’s why Netflix don’t make money and neither will MS if they’re spending all their subs on buying GP content as you propose.

ToadMan

Maybe you should look at their financials once in a while.

they’ve been profitable since 2003 when they were mailing DVDs. You’ve only had 18 years to check them out.

Incorrect. Sorry. You are basing your profit assessment on the traditional idea of selling a product and getting a revenue and generating an ROI. Netflix and other modern subscription services don’t work that way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...-question-is-it-losing-money-or-making-money/

Danlord

Why would the OS take up 6GB on the XSX? That's enormous. This has to be some kind of mistake.
Could it be reserved space for Suspend/Resume functionality? So rather than it constantly using the entire amount, it's more a reservation even if the OS itself could use say 2GB for example?
I'm just speculating here.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So the rumor that Sony went to most 3rd party devs offering an exclusivity deal turns out to be spot-on.
Well...they have a 3rd party making an exclusive game for them thats launching next week...and had one have one at launch...so...

Its both.

Last edited:

Lysandros

They are similar but different, Sony's might be using the same Platform Control from AMD SmartShift which uses machine learning algorithm to predict power consumption based on workload.
SmartShift doesn't boost clocks, it just divert power from cpu to gpu vice versa based on silicon activity and software that you're running.
PS5 continuous boost clock has nothing to do with SmartShift, in ps5 SmartShift is added in order to divert power from cpu when cpu has extra power available, then divert it to already boosted gpu to squeeze out more performance.
I expect that to stick by the year 2100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom