• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangx

So Returnal is 4k/60 with RT, and that website analyzing video says it can drop to 1440p and has no RT.

Talk about a divide.
Because Ray tracing lighting is hard to spot. Yes, it dynamic 4k 60 fps, so it can drop to 1440p. I wouldn't be surprised if this average out to be 1440p because ray trace lighting is demanding. Again, don't trust this website for frame rate and resolution counting. Wait for DF and VGtech.

PSX

Elden Ring, April 19th was the release!? so I am assuming... trailer will pop up at any moment since they mentioned the delay for the pandemic,

I hate to say it "soon" hopefully!

"lollipop_disappointed:

oNMZQzN.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I wouldn’t say either those claims have been backed up by a reliable source. I think we will have to wait for DF, VGtech or NXG.
Actually it is Sony saying it.

Ray-traced lighting​

Experience high-fidelity ambient lighting that is specifically designed to adapt in real-time to Atropos’ dynamic environment.

And yes it is Dynamic 4k.

Outstanding performance​

Placing gameplay at the forefront of all it does, Housemarque maintains the highest standards for performance. Thanks to the incredible power of PS5, the blistering combat and brooding visuals of Returnal’s unique world are delivered at a consistent 60 frames-per-second and a dynamic 4K resolution.

Last edited:

skit_data

Actually it is Sony saying it.

And yes it is Dynamic 4k.
Ah, ok! I hadn’t seen that

I presumed it was that Heisenreborn twitter account. Well, that puts it in another light. I trust official information from Sony more than Elanalistadebits, but the official Sony blog also claimed ray tracing was implemented in Demon’s Souls when it wasn’t.

ethomaz

Banned
Ah, ok! I hadn’t seen that

I presumed it was that Heisenreborn twitter account. Well, that puts it in another light. I trust official information from Sony more than Elanalistadebits, but the official Sony blog also claimed ray tracing was implemented in Demon’s Souls when it wasn’t.
Well maybe Technical director works?

By leveraging PS5’s ray-tracing hardware, we are able to deliver high-quality lighting in real time. Our global illumination system uniquely adapts to the randomized placement of the world, while neon-lit projectiles create that arcade, fever-dream feel our team is known for.

ErRor88

Did the mods change their minds on ElAnalistadeBits?

I remember they shut down one of your threads because they didn't approve the source.

Just FYI.

Nope.

Last edited:

SSfox

Not enough Japanese games here Hermen, and one of them is a remake , i'm not saying as it is negative to be remake, and it's an amazing remake by the way, but it's ... a remake, not new IP like Bloodborne was, we need more new IPs from Japanese studio Sir Hermen. Bungie multiplayer loot shit isn't type of things and reasons that make me care about playstation since 25 years.

Neo Blaster

He revealed last year that Bluepoint along with Mark Cerny were working on a MGS 1 remake, same source was the one who told him about Demon Soul’s remake long before it was revealed.

Looking foreword to how this plays out.

Unless they rework MGS gameplay, I don't think it will be a good representative of PS5 capabilities. All we had so far are crossgen games, multis and an exclusive game(Demon's Souls) with mechanics limited to what a 2-gen old console could do. Returnal and R&C will be the first true PS5 exclusives, built from the ground up to what it can do.

Last edited:
BTW the ElAnalistaDeBits is already backpedaling his claim.

Edit - I defensed them before but now I understood why they can't be used as source.

He oftens state innaccurate or wrong information on PS games. Even in this video, maybe half of his statements are about negatives he found like framerate drops or shadows problems (because he is actively searching for all that stuff in order to show them) but all of that usually only for Playstation games, not on Xbox games.

He is simply a Xbox guy and while we usually can trust his framerate analysis (but beware of selective cherry picking), the rest of his content is highly subjective, innaccurate or sometimes, wrong.

He oftens state innaccurate or wrong information on PS games. Even in this video, maybe half of his statements are about negatives he found like framerate drops or shadows problems (because he is actively searching for all that stuff in order to show them) but all of that usually only for Playstation games, not on Xbox games.

He is simply a Xbox guy and while we usually can trust his framerate analysis (but beware of selective cherry picking), the rest of his content is highly subjective, innaccurate or sometimes, wrong.

After seeing him make so many mistakes it's not wrong to question if he's doing it on purpose.

He revealed last year that Bluepoint along with Mark Cerny were working on a MGS 1 remake, same source was the one who told him about Demon Soul’s remake long before it was revealed.

Looking foreword to how this plays out.

I said sometime ago how awesome slowly stalking the Corridors of Shadow Moses will be, surrounded in all that Ray Tracing glory. 👍

Metal Gear Solid was already hinted in Demon's Souls Remake as Easter Egg. Metal Gear roar :

Last edited:
Not enough Japanese games here Hermen, and one of them is a remake , i'm not saying as it is negative to be remake, and it's an amazing remake by the way, but it's ... a remake, not new IP like Bloodborne was, we need more new IPs from Japanese studio Sir Hermen. Bungie multiplayer loot shit isn't type of things and reasons that make me care about playstation since 25 years.

What has PS Japan Studio even done in the past 15yrs that has been of any major note, and seemed to have kept you so interested? Honest question...

The major PS exclusives out of Japan over the past 2 to 3 gens have been third party published and/or developed games.

Outside of Asobi Team and PD, Japan Studio has been pretty mediocre for decades. Playstation is much better off investing in third party Japanese exclusives like Persona, than trying to resuscitate the inglorious fossil that is their Japan Studio.

So far, there's been no indication they aren't going after 3rd party deals. In fact, quite the opposite.

Last edited:

SSfox

What has PS Japan Studio even done in the past 15yrs that has been of any major note, and seemed to have kept you so interested? Honest question...

The major PS exclusives out of Japan over the past 2 to 3 gens have been third party published and/or developed games.

Outside of Asobi Team and PD, Japan Studio has been pretty mediocre for decades. Playstation is much better off investing in third party Japanese exclusives like Persona, than trying to resuscitate the inglorious fossil that is their Japan Studio.

So far, there's been no indication they aren't going after 3rd party deals. In fact, quite the opposite.
Everyone can have their ups and downs, So as Japan Studio, they made some of the best games of playstation brand, Santa Monica almost died 7 years ago, but Yosp and Adrew (THANKFULLY) give them a second chance and believe in them, and it resulted on having God Of War, Aka one of the best game ever, and one best game of the last decade imho. If it was Jimbo and Hermen they would have just closed the studio and go give that money to Bethesda for some random time exclusives.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What if Bloodbornemetvania?
Interesting but well we have a lot of Souls clones already... Mortal Shell for example is pretty good for a small developer.

BTW the previous 3D castlevania tried to copy other games mechanics and it was not successful.

Even the Kojima Castlevania was not good :(

Last edited:

Erm, for real?

Bloodborne-Game-of-the-Year-GOTY-PS4

Oh, and...

EMppkcDUUAACWVd.jpg

The original Demon's Souls too, together with From :)

kyliethicc

Erm, for real?

Bloodborne-Game-of-the-Year-GOTY-PS4

Oh, and...

EMppkcDUUAACWVd.jpg

The original Demon's Souls too, together with From :)
Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are made by From Software. Sure Japan Studio helped, just like Santa Monica helped Thatgamecompany make Journey and helped Ready At Dawn make The Order 1886. But Santa Monica didn't make those games. Japan Studio didn't make Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, the remakes of Shadow and DS by Bluepoint, or Everybody's Golf. They just helped external teams, same as how Sony's XDev are helping Housemarque make Returnal, etc. Its support.

Japan Studio's own PS4 games are Knack, Knack 2, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Playroom, Playroom VR, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and some ports and remasters.

That's why they're now just focusing on Team Asobi. Same thing happened to San Diego Studio back in 2016 or so, when they used to have a bunch of devs helping smaller teams make games (Guns Up, Drawn to Death, Killstrain, etc). They all got laid off and the studio was cut down to just the MLB team.

Last edited:
Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are made by From Software. Sure Japan Studio helped, just like Santa Monica helped Thatgamecompany make Journey and helped Ready At Dawn make The Order 1886. But Santa Monica didn't make those games. Japan Studio didn't make Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, the remakes of Shadow and DS by Bluepoint, or Everybody's Golf. They just helped external teams, same as how Sony's XDev are helping Housemarque make Returnal, etc. Its support.

Japan Studio's own PS4 games are Knack, Knack 2, Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Playroom, Playroom VR, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and some ports and remasters.

That's why they're now just focusing on Team Asobi. Same thing happened to San Diego Studio back in 2016 or so, when they used to have a bunch of devs helping smaller teams make games (Guns Up, Drawn to Death, Killstrain, etc). They all got laid off and the studio was cut down to just the MLB team.
Yes, it was a collaboration and obviously the lore and core story was Mitazaki's baby undoubtedly, it feels like Japan Studio were heavily involved. Especially as at the time they were between the Dark Souls 2 and 3 releases, I'm sure most of From was working on those. There's surely a reason why Japan Studio gets credited before From does.
However, the point is, they were involved in some of the most defining games of the last few generations. It's undeniable how Demon's Souls changed the gaming landscape and Bloodborne redefined it.

Comparing their output with, for example, Bend or Sony London is laughable. I'm not saying the restructuring is bad, I don't know enough details about it, but I don't agree with the downplaying of Japan Studio's relevance.

ZywyPL

Banned

"Fluid simulation on fog & vegetation, combined w/ global wind system creates effects "not possible" on last gen " - when I read that Killzone games on PS3 came into my mind... Just shows how hard PS4/XB1 pushed the entire industry back with their Jaguar CPU... But hey, that gives us high hopes for future games once cross-gen is over. 14 Zen2 threads, just imagine what devs will be able to do with it.

Yes, it was a collaboration and obviously the lore and core story was Mitazaki's baby undoubtedly, it feels like Japan Studio were heavily involved. Especially as at the time they were between the Dark Souls 2 and 3 releases, I'm sure most of From was working on those. There's surely a reason why Japan Studio gets credited before From does.
However, the point is, they were involved in some of the most defining games of the last few generations. It's undeniable how Demon's Souls changed the gaming landscape and Bloodborne redefined it.

Comparing their output with, for example, Bend or Sony London is laughable. I'm not saying the restructuring is bad, I don't know enough details about it, but I don't agree with the downplaying of Japan Studio's relevance.

Sony's role was effectively technical support, QA and everything else that comes with being a publisher. That's it.

They were not involved in the creative process.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

"Fluid simulation on fog & vegetation, combined w/ global wind system creates effects "not possible" on last gen " - when I read that Killzone games on PS3 came into my mind... Just shows how hard PS4/XB1 pushed the entire industry back with their Jaguar CPU... But hey, that gives us high hopes for future games once cross-gen is over. 14 Zen2 threads, just imagine what devs will be able to do with it.
Surely posted somwhere in the forum but now that you mention it there is a very good restrospective on the Killzone games:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom