• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesvenus

Compilers are pretty advanced at this point in time, what matters the most now is code quality and robustness. If your code is spaghetti code, you’ll have a mess later on that’ll be a nightmare to find your way through if amendments to the code are required later on. Spaghetti code isn’t what you want, organized code that’s grouped into functions and commented well is what’s considered good, robust code and is good practice. The compiler compiles your code. Code quality is what matters, a compiler can’t do anything to improve the performance of your code at all. The quality of the code will determine how efficient and performant your program or solution is. That’s all there is to it.
I suppose you never had to look at the assembly code generated by different compilers on the same code.
You are right, it's more important the structure of the code but saying that different compilers cannot generate different performing executables shows that you don't work on a high performance industry.

Bro, Hitman 3 is superior on xbox. This is a fact.

Is this a trend? We don't now yet, but probably it is.

So please remain calm and stay in line.
Boy I'd like to know what made you think this latest face-off is any kind of trend in favor of Xbox.
I'm not shit posting here but hasn't PS5 been winning majority of face-offs since launch?
And any sane person here can tell you it's the fact that the games are so close in performance that is the real eye opener so far in this gen (bar this latest Hitman 3).
There is a supposed 2TF gap here and it's not showing...so far.

Still I'd be cautious of labelling any of the current gen machines 'winners' as upcoming games could go either as both have their own strengths and weaknesses.
The only winners are gamers because we'll get versions of games that are damn near equal in quality and performance regardless of platform.

Last edited:
I suppose you never had to look at the assembly code generated by different compilers on the same code.
You are right, it's more important the structure of the code but saying that different compilers cannot generate different performing executables shows that you don't work on a high performance industry.
I’m sure Microsoft had the compiler up and ready before even going through the process of writing the code. As a software engineering company, I’m assuming they’ve already calculated the variables and the outcomes. When it comes to compilers, I have a bias with virtual machines so my prime pick is the LLVM compiler which is one of the compilers made for VM’s. I also took liberties in getting into other compilers such as LISP and Perl which both have perks of their own. Especially Lisp which is plenty useful for Machine intelligence and AI. I'm also knee deep in the Assembly Language and more specifically, register renaming and cache coherency even though I'm a much bigger fan of SuperScalar architectures and Risc-V. So i have no shortage of relevant knowledge in these fields, even though i have gaps that i still need to fill. Microsoft has their own custom compiler built into the C++ language, so like i said, I'll assume they already calculated the different outcomes before working on writing code and implementing it. I'm quite familiar with compilers and interpreters, hardware and cpu architectures is the field I spent most of my time getting into. Apart from Computer Science, which is the degree I studied for. Different compilers have different advantages, however the quality of the code is equally important as I've mentioned in one of my posts above, a function that can take several lines but uses a lot of data can be simplified and made more organised by using Hashmaps, you can accelerate the performance of your code even further by using writing code to implement coherency and Threads for Multithreading(MT is well suited for I/O tasks). There's a function for every purpose and piece of functionality. You can also start barebones by using UML to create a template you can use as reference later on. So like i said, no shortage of relevant knowledge in these topics, just gaps that need filling.

Last edited:

Barakov

not safe for work no GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe it's youtube but the visuals don't look that great to me. However the framerate seems solid.
Probably YouTube, I watched it on my 4K set and the bitrate kept fluctuating but when it was coming across sharp the texture detail and complexity were nice, but the geometry isn’t there which I expect from a cross-gen game.

Far cry from barely able to run, in trouble, and sub 30-20fps that clown was propagating.

Last edited:
If that is going to be the new pricing for XBOX Live Gold seems as though Microsoft used misdirection like a magician by using Gamepass as the trick thinking you are getting great value then bam! next thing you know a jab to the ass with Live Gold
It's definitely a cheap way of making GamePassU look like an even better deal; i.e. hiking the price of Live Gold.

From a consumer perspective, it's pretty shitty for sure.

Far cry from barely able to run, in trouble, and sub 30-20fps that clown was propagating.

For sure the games performance looks fine to me. I don't know if it will end up Native 4K though.

And Live Gold is still required for online for free to play games.. a true Xbox Exclusive.

That's something that always bothered me about Xbox. Hopefully they change that policy.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
That's something that always bothered me about Xbox. Hopefully they change that policy.
The F2P crowd is what they make most money off/from. Remove them and MS will lose a big chunk every year. Increasing gamepass ultimate yearly price would be detrimental in the long run.

The one losing money here is Sony. All those 40? million Fartneye, Rocket and other F2P players playing for free ...

MastaKiiLA

So preorders are starting today, pretty much across all of SEA, and with 40 minutes to go before preorders start, this is what the Sony Thailand page looks like:
pC0Eemy.png

Seriously? Like half the country lost their jobs due to COVID, and tourists aren't coming anymore, but this is what we've come to? I can't even register an account, or sign in on the store page? FML. At least I still have the PS5DE product page open in a separate tab. I'll try refreshing that around 10:55am, but I'm getting a sinking feeling that maybe...just maybe, I won't be securing a PS5 today. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

There should be a support group for people who can't get PS5s.

MastaKiiLA

Sony hasn't even started the preorder on their shop. The website is crashing. 19 minutes late already. I can tell because even accessories show as out of stock. Their system is borked. The thirst is real.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
6 fucking months?

I think that's the price I pay for a full year of PS+

EDIT: Fuck, wait. No, PS+ is less than that. This can't be right. Is that Xbox Live post fake? Has to be

That's pro consumer for you. They already charge you to play F2P or even to play MP on GamePass, so this isn't a surprise as they try to compensate for all these GamePass deals and insanely cheap deals they've made before like $1/mo, or $3/mo/3 years or so.

Last edited:

Vagos48

Well this so called advantage in Hitman 3 is that PS5 is using the performance profile of PS4 pro resolution mode with better textures. The resolution mode in Ps4 pro is with unlocked frame rate. I would say it is very close to BC mode. I would bet that given its advantage in frame rate over xsx that it could easily match the resolution if the developers bothered. Its basically a BC mode game with a texture pack.

JonkyDonk

Well this so called advantage in Hitman 3 is that PS5 is using the performance profile of PS4 pro resolution mode with better textures. The resolution mode in Ps4 pro is with unlocked frame rate. I would say it is very close to BC mode. I would bet that given its advantage in frame rate over xsx that it could easily match the resolution if the developers bothered. Its basically a BC mode game with a texture pack.
I think they just chose the easy option of locking the game to a conservative resolution on PS5 to make things simple for themselves. IOI is not a huge team and releasing a game on so many platforms especially right now is difficult so they are not going to put the extra time to optimise for every platform. I think with a bit more work they could have pushed the PS5 version further but it is still a very good version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom