• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

edotlee

Confirmation from Michel Lancel, who recently announced he left the video gaming industry, that Wild is still in development. Hopefully we get a trailer for it soon.

"Many of you might want to know what will happen to Wild and BGE2. No worries, since many months now the teams are autonomous and the projects are going super well. Beautiful things to be seen soon."

Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-games-industry-to-work-on-wildlife-sanctuary

Last edited:

ksdixon

Are there any examples of cross-gen games (from previous generations) where the game has different mechanics ? OR are all differences between each version only FPS/resolution related?

Splinter Cell Double Agent XBOX was a totally different game to Splinter Cell Double Agent X360.

This also used to happen back in the day with SEGA GENESIS vs SNES games. The two Aladin games are vastly different.

sircaw

Banned
So, when i asked about did someone made a screenshot of that FUD tweet from Xbox Discord...

And.....Blue took it. Thank you, blue to be such an idiot to support false info and provide me a screenshot. You're awesome. At least some benefit from you.

sircaw sircaw

Do you have a room for another FUD update?

Oh, well :

These people are the biggest fucking scumbags on the internet, no fucking shame what so ever.

They are pure filth and believe me i know filth.

kyliethicc

A slim and a super slim DE?

That actually might be pretty cool.
Nah I just think it'll most likely go like this, around 2023

$500 PS5 Pro
$400 PS5 Pro DE
$300 PS5 DE (slim)

I'm not sure they'll sell a PS5 Slim with a disc drive.

They would only do a Pro along a price cut for the regular PS5, as a way to reintroduce a model at the top price point.

I'm not sure they'd want to sell a $400 PS5 slim (disc) for the same price as a PS5 Pro Digital.

Now we know they'll sell DE for $100 less. But the gap between PS4 Pro and Slim was only $100. So it could overlap with a PS5 Pro DE and a PS5 slim (disc) as same price. I doubt they'll actually sell 4 models for 3 prices.

Unless a PS5 Pro is like $600, but I doubt that. Likely just keep the Pro as the $500 model with disc drive. And then offer digital models for lower prices, Pro/Slim.

Last edited:
These people are the biggest fucking scumbags on the internet, no fucking shame what so ever.

They are pure filth and believe me i know filth.
I guess the question is does anyone actually believe that blue twitter person? I've looked at some of the tweets there and they are barely understandable. Twitter is definitely a weird echo chamber for some people (timdog, misterx, blue, etc.)

You're right, we can't determine that from the trailer. Nevertheless we can determine if it was done with external tools or with the game engine. Ok, we don't need to answer that question. Pretty clear.
In-Engine or In-Game is of course much more difficult. As an example the turtle scene, looks phenomenal. Next-Gen graphics. You can argue about whether it looks like in-game or not. A difficult scene that does not help us. (I don't think it would surprise anyone if it looks like this in the game).
We have to look at other shots. Like the scenes where Aloy climbs over the sand stage or on the top of the mountain and looks into the distance (Timestamp 2:10-2:14). This looks very much like in-game shots. Also the shot at 1:37-1:40, where she is riding over the fields. Very very highly likely that this was an in-game shot from a different perspective.

If not, burn me. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Please don't give me hope, my heart can only take so much disappointment.. 😢

Yeap, this is my point, compared to what we have been told by cerny, these numbers are completely ridiculous and basically paint the picture of a completely different machine.

About your point in non-linearity, of course you are correct, the relation between the two is cubic. you might want to watch the video segment I attach below.

1. my math is good, and these are the percentages
2. if by "test" you mean "develop", then I agree

Frequency increases near or over the top of h/w performance limit though really are useless for performance and only cause heat and consumption.
And we know that both cpu and gpu are clocked to their thermal limits, per cerny.

So, for all of you,
here is a part of the second playstation 5 article DF published, about 3 weeks after cerny presentation and after having talked to developers.
You will see that DF has been told by developers that they are throttling back the CPU in order to keep the sustained GPU clockspeed. And these are crossgen games we are talking about. In the written article that accompanies the video, it was noted that there are some questions on about how this will pan out as we enter development of nextgen games, where the reliance to worthless jaguar CPUs will be cut.

Furthermore, even if DF is silky smooth in what they are saying here, I have included in this video the part where they compare the performance difference of a 36 CU GPU @2.1 with another GPU that has only 4 CUs more, and runs at 200+Mhz less. Just 4 CUs were enough to overcompensate the big difference in clockspeed.
Also worth of notice is that Leadbetter specifically asked Cerny if there is limit of the lowest possible frequencies, and cerny did not answer.

The thing is, that tweet takes advantage that we know that the clocks are not fixed to create FUD with a huge lie.
As others already pointed, the point of the variable clock is to INCREASE the clock of the GPU most of the time, not decrease. The PS5 GPU have a base clock of around 2GHz, with 200MHz boost. The GPU will never get lower than that, and why would it need? The Zen 2 CPU is super efficient. Even clocked at the "maximum" of 3.5GHz with all transistors cranking AVX2 code how much power it uses? Not much actually, shouldn't be more than 60W. There's no scenario where the GPU have to lower it's clocks because of the CPU.

So while the clocks can vary, again, another week, another FUD against the PS5.

SSfox

Jim Ryan says Sony rejected the idea of a less powerful PS5 in the style of the Xbox Series S

Yup. Sony think about devs, while MS give them more work than they already have...

user1337

My current biggest concern is the £69.99 price tag im seeing on some first party games. Is that official??

I mean most other games are £59.99, so why charge another £10 on top of that. Kinda worried about the digital costs and how long they stay up at max price.

If official, I'm going to be permanently 6-12 months behind on new releases, waiting for discounts.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

I preordered the ps5 disc edition from amazon saudi arabia Im very happy I secured a preorder because It opened for like maybe 5 minutes and then it went out of stock

in Saudi it is available at select retailers and it is fairly manageable to get If u r refresh pages and waiting behind the screen
all they are selling now is the standard edition only digital not available to preorder now maybe in some days

it is strange cause I remember preordering ps4 back in the day form amazon UK I was in london in 2013 and it was available for hours that day

The thing is, that tweet takes advantage that we know that the clocks are not fixed to create FUD with a huge lie.
As others already pointed, the point of the variable clock is to INCREASE the clock of the GPU most of the time, not decrease. The PS5 GPU have a base clock of around 2GHz, with 200MHz boost. The GPU will never get lower than that, and why would it need? The Zen 2 CPU is super efficient. Even clocked at the "maximum" of 3.5GHz with all transistors cranking AVX2 code how much power it uses? Not much actually, shouldn't be more than 60W. There's no scenario where the GPU have to lower it's clocks because of the CPU.

So while the clocks can vary, again, another week, another FUD against the PS5.
Basically you agree with me. That's cool.
As I said, those numbers quoted really paint the image of a completely different, much weaker machine.
+/- 20%-25% is what I'd expect.
+/- 50% is waaaay off the mark IMO

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy the digital edition for comfort, I already have everything in digital and like with the remote control for the TV, the dishwasher and the washing machine. I can no longer go back behind and change discs, much less wait for them to arrive or go buy them, the price is no longer the reason, just a plus. to get to buy series x l would buy without disk, if Microsoft offers it to me.
Yeah I'm also fully digital since the start of the current gen, but not so sure if I would do this when games would cost me 80€

I must disagree with you there, brother. It looks nice, but UE5 demo is still much better. No rush, we'll get there in like 1-3 years.

hmmmm there's nothing going on in UE5. The rocks are next level. But DS Has Reflections ,changing environments, Fire dodging/block, shield clashes, enemies types, colour pallets.Dragons , Nameless is a much better model than UE5 chick.

The fire Boss is then trailer is leagues above the statues. UE5 demo was cool. But outside of the rocks & flight scene not much. DS is kicking ass.

Elysion

Banned
If the next Elder Scrolls looks as good as Demon’s Souls, I’d be more than satisfied.

That Hogwarts game now has more views than the PS5 showcase xD

People have been waiting for a game like this for ages. I’m surprised it took so long until someone made it. I would’ve expected a game like this during the PS360 days, after the movie series was done.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
hmmmm there's nothing going on in UE5. The rocks are next level. But DS Has Reflections ,changing environments, Fire dodging/block, shield clashes, enemies types, colour pallets.Dragons , Nameless is a much better model than UE5 chick.

The fire Boss is then trailer is leagues above the statues. UE5 demo was cool. But outside of the rocks & flight scene not much. DS is kicking ass.

Well, UE5 is the pinnacle of gaming graphics so far, or let's say real-time graphics. I can see PS5 reaching that level with games in like 2-4 years, but I think Spiderman MM looks more impressive visually to me than DS. It looks great, but I'm not 100% impressed. Honestly. Does that matter? No, you're getting a massive game (I hate it) with insane graphics. :messenger_winking_tongue: (y)

Faithless83

Banned
Well, UE5 is the pinnacle of gaming graphics so far, or let's say real-time graphics. I can see PS5 reaching that level with games in like 2-4 years, but I think Spiderman MM looks more impressive visually to me than DS. It looks great, but I'm not 100% impressed. Honestly. Does that matter? No, you're getting a massive game (I hate it) with insane graphics. :messenger_winking_tongue: (y)
Love you man, but I think God of War won't let your post age well. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ue5 is 1440p/30 . Not comparable.

It is, and you can notice extremely minor softness in 4K display due to that, but it looks like a freaking movie or life-like. With optimization, that could easily be 4K@30fps, let's not forget that it's using 8K Hollywood, uncompressed assets and 16K shadows! Also it's using 20 million polygon budget per frame, good for slightly above 6K. It's more like a stress demo to PS5.

DS looks much cleaner though, but more "gamey". UE5 has some artifacts from that voxel? GI.

MistBreeze

for demons souls remake yes it is a day one showcase for ps5 the same kill zone shadow fall was for ps4

yes it is gorgeous yes the animations feels smooth but do you think they will touch some bosses like
adjecenator what ever it was and the maiden you can cheese easily with arrows from far away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom