• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
deja vu

2538604-6160542022-
That real? Lol

Andodalf

Banned
"it's ok if you don't want our console and buy PS5 instead"

EYVF3nYXkAE937l.jpg

shopped but it's exactly how it went :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Yeah they should just pay money for games to not come out other places, that's what a company should do right? Just stick it to other people cus they can!

HAL-01

I think there will be a number of small differences but most notably it will be the ray-tracing in the 30 FPS mode, the trailer/gameplay looked good and from what I can see the lighting was not ray-traced, which is impressive. I think it would benefit greatly from dynamic and bounce lighting, considering the main character walks around emitting light from his chest or something as well some of the dark/gloomy environments which feature light sources like torches and fire.
This 60fps demo has raytraced shadows all over. The environment lighting is mostly baked, and i dont think adding RTGI on top would make much of a difference for these environments. I believe the most likely case is this performance mode is running at an upscaled 4K using good quality TAAU, to the point where anyone but pixel counters wouldn't tell the difference. And the 30fps mode would simply do the same, but at native 4K. It's the same approach ive suggested Insomniac will do for the 60fps mode on MM.

In the case this is actually running at native 4K60 with raytraced shadows, I'd be impressed, and i can't imagine what else they could do that would warrant a "graphics" mode.

PS: The light that follows the player is a single shadow-casting point light coming from a glowing vessel on the character's belt. All early souls games had this light following the player, though in those cases there was no light source. Its cool BP thought of a way to implement it in a way that made sense.

kretos

Banned
Good luck putting another store into a Nintendo or PS5 system...

i think Sony wouldn't mind gamepass on PS if Xbox exit the console business, this would actually be great imagine buying 1 console and you can play everything on it even Halo and Gears

Yeah they should just pay money for games to not come out other places, that's what a company should do right? Just stick it to other people cus they can!

you think they just doing this to stick it lol it's just business 101, they pay to get exclusives so more people buy the console and buy more games on that console

tenor.gif

ksdixon

Yep, lol. I was skeptical of cross-gen games but damn, folks at PS Studio are talented as hell. When the UI popped on the Miles Morales demo, I was immediately sold on the PS5. That shit looks amazing.

Demon’s Souls was great too, but man, can they at least try not to one hit kill every enemie?

Wait, there was a PS5 UI popup? What did it look like?

Neo Blaster

FFS. So hardly any games are going to take advantage of Sony's SSD - not even bloody Sony 1st Party ones - because they'll be dragged-down by launch PS4's. What is even the point of getting a PS5?
How does supporting PS4 for more years automatically translates to crossgen FP only? I don't remember playing Killzone: Shadow Fall, Driveclub and Infamous: Second Son on PS3, and let's not forget that R&C and DS exist.

Last edited:

CraZed

Considering this is new territory for them, the porting of the same game as cross gen support vs unique games for each system as support, I think it's fair to be hesitant/suspicious this will happen to more games from Sony.

But also their previous approach to cross gen is exactly why people thought Horizon and SMMM were on ps5 only. Sony certainly didn't indicate they were coming to ps4 and also didnt indicate they were approaching cross gen support differently.
Sure, some suspicion. But is that really what we're seeing?

Elysion

Banned
Do we know if there are any next gen games which are confirmed to not have any kind of performance mode? Because I’m wondering, considering that Demon’s Souls was running at 60fps despite how incredible it looked, and all this talk of CoD running at 120fps, if performance modes might become standard next gen.

Imo, a 1440p 'performance' mode (with reconstruction) running 60fps should be the standard, and native 4k should be relegated to the optional category (call it 'high-res mode' or something).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Kinda getting that feeling that the future of Xbox will be just Game Pass.

"Xbox Game Pass - available on PC, Android, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch."
It does not work giving others a 30% cut. No xbox no gamepass Sony monopoly it is simple. You can't pay 15 studios, 3rd parties and make any money on 7 dollars a month after 30% cut. It can work with enough numbers at 10 and 15 dollars a month.

Faithless83

Banned
I already did today, got a PS5 DE on Submarino even though I have some physical backlog on PS4.
I'm on the "all things considered, this price is not so bad" camp. My friends are mostly on the "fuck this shit, we are going to Paraguay next year", and I was the one organizing the trip prior to the price announcement. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I have the money for it upfront and I can pay by installments if I want. I'm seriously considering it to play Cyberpunk.

I'll sleep on this and see what I think tomorrow. Options options...

Ptarmiganx2

I'm not liking HZD and MM being a current gen game. They do not look like shit like Halo Infinite does, because they're not developed by incompetent morons, but they are most definitely held back...

They were both started using Sony’s last gen engines. Last I checked they are still the industy benchmark. Sony will continue to refine their next gen engines, I can wait for God of War to demolish anything we have seen. When I played HZD I never once said, “man the graphics are holding this game back”. It still amazes me today. Even cross gen, bet your ass it sets the industry benchmark.

Entroyp

They were both started using Sony’s last gen engines. Last I checked they are still the industy benchmark. Sony will continue to refine their next gen engines, I can wait for God of War to demolish anything we have seen. When I played HZD I never once said, “man the graphics are holding this game back”. It still amazes me today. Even cross gen, bet your ass it sets the industry benchmark.

What was holding HZD back though? The game was made for PS4 and PS4 only...

Sinthor

Gold Member
FFS. So hardly any games are going to take advantage of Sony's SSD - not even bloody Sony 1st Party ones - because they'll be dragged-down by launch PS4's. What is even the point of getting a PS5?

Oh come on. Everyone is getting hysterical without even having any evidence to go on. What we saw from the Demon's Souls trailer was instant warping between bonfires, so that was instant loading of levels. I guarantee if there's a PS4 version that it doesn't have the same instant warping. Sony first party is EXACTLY where they can ensure they take advantage of PS5 features even if the game is available in another form on PS4 as well. It will be FINE.

If we see differently...then by all means complain and deservedly so! But till then...I think you have to credit Sony with being smarter than to release PS5 versions of games that act the same as PS4, just look prettier. You'll see. Or...I'll be wrong and we can all flame Sony into oblivion! ;)

This 60fps demo has raytraced shadows all over. The environment lighting is mostly baked, and i dont think adding RTGI on top would make much of a difference for these environments. I believe the most likely case is this performance mode is running at an upscaled 4K using good quality TAAU, to the point where anyone but pixel counters wouldn't tell the difference. And the 30fps mode would simply do the same, but at native 4K. It's the same approach ive suggested Insomniac will do for the 60fps mode on MM.

In the case this is actually running at native 4K60 with raytraced shadows, I'd be impressed, and i can't imagine what else they could do that would warrant a "graphics" mode.

PS: The light that follows the player is a single shadow-casting point light coming from a glowing vessel on the character's belt. All early souls games had this light following the player, though in those cases there was no light source. Its cool BP thought of a way to implement it in a way that made sense.
if it is native 4K 60fps with that level of fidelity, I call ps5 rdna2.5 confirmed :messenger_face_steam:

The reconstruction techniques are just becoming too good.

I cannot imagine the first game of Naughty Dog or that God of War.

Ptarmiganx2

Scary thought: Spiderman MM is cross gen, but looks better than anything in existence or announced. The sequel will melt eyes.

To everyone claiming they aren’t upgrading to next-gen until cross-gen games cease, apparently you’re fine with waiting (Load times included 😁😎).

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

So Spider-Man is getting a "Remaster" which is 20$ more on top of MM. Will this be available standalone? If you already own Spider-man do you need to pay that 20$? would suck if so compared to MS updating some Big games for free.
Only Microsoft hasn‘t released a title worthy of purchasing in 2 years. You can polish a turd but at the end of the day...

I've played Knack AND Knack 2
giphy.gif

Should edit the right image to show him dying and respawning over and over again in the time it takes to load the left image.

For realism.
Is not respwan, the loading is for the teleport, I cut it but here you can see compared to PS3, in the PS5 they just remove the UI looks
like bluepoint love to have that option.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Works with discs? Didn't I just read somewhere earlier tonight that PS5 cannot read CD's?

Better PSNow selection/DL for all games, or throwing huge amount of PS1/2/3 games on the PStore is all I am holding out hope for. I don't expect disc-based.

Unless that plays into the Sony-MS azure servers deal somehow, cause MS have already done the leg work in terms of recognising a disc, downloading the digital version etc. Teach Sony how.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
what do you mean fishy? you literally mentioned me about someone apologizing to me (which I dont see)
sometimes I doubt you can even press a button without assistance ;Ρρ

you can safely scrub that youtuber with the sony hat from your list of "insiders", sony people
I gave you a mention in my apology post so that you would get a notification. Either you skimmed through it, or you had me on ignore and never read it.

Either way, it was a few posts above the sircaw post which you quoted and insulted my intellect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom