• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with this

I agree. I don't want to them to turn their AAA into GaaS.

With that said, I'd like Sony to give MS a competition in the subscription model. PS Now has a lot of games but they can continue to improve the selection. They should dip into GaaS games release day 1 on PS Now/ PS+. It doesn't have to be their 14 studios (although they could help from time to time between big releases.) They could give the job to small 3rd party devs. They should shop around for games more often like the thing they did with rocket league and fall guys.

kyliethicc

I think Jim wants to kill PSNow. That's probably Dave Perry left.
Ehh nah. He took over and fired Shawn Layden, and all of sudden PS Now got a reboot, price cut, marketing push along with big 1st party games got put on it.

Jim Ryan's Sony has been pushing PS Now much more than ever before.
But he knows that their business model is selling big games day 1 for max money, and the services are extra.

sircaw

Banned
what do you mean fishy? you literally mentioned me about someone apologizing to me (which I dont see)
sometimes I doubt you can even press a button without assistance ;Ρρ

You need to go back and read the posts, not just come in at the last ones and try cause mayhem., now i get why your always so misinformed.

Effort Dude come on, someone genuinely said sorry to you and you can't be arse to go back and find it.

Come on, be better.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So anyone watch Digital Foundry's latest breakdown of the PS5 showcase, some interesting comments.

Both Alex and John were really impressed with Demon Souls, they mentioned how dense the geometry is as well as the variety and details of the textures. This reminds me of the comments RedGamingTech made about how the PS5 will have a significant advantage in geometry rendering over Series X and RDNA 2, could this be an early sign?

I think the SSD will also have an important role in this "geometry" advantage as assets will be able to be pulled in and out of RAM significantly faster, this would mean higher density geometry and higher resolution textures within the next 1-2 seconds of gameplay.

I also think it's too early as of now, but in the next 3-4 years the devs and studios will be able to explore and push the PS5 and it's hardware features like the GE much more and I believe we'll see some really cool looking stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct official site for PS5 and accessories for those who haven't have the chance to get one good luck! 🤞

BY THE WAY THE CONSOLE IS NOT UP YET! hopefully soon... :messenger_hushed:
Sold out everywhere here in New Zealand.

Some chick at my work got 2 PS5's and was trying to sell us her PS4 during a fucking microsoft teams meeting.

Am i the only one here thinking why don't we have any UI Menu walkthrough videos yet?

Last edited:
Its a guarantee on day 1 for all users saying "if you buy a PS5, you will have lots of games to play on it as soon as you set it up." All you need is PS Plus. Its a great way to give people lots of stuff to play.

Game prices went up. Especially with this economy now, many buyers will not want to spend hundreds on games all on day 1.

This will give me 5-10 games for "free" because I already have PS Plus and now as soon as I get my PS5, I'll have no shortage of top quality games to play, plus my backlog, plus Demon's Souls and Spidey. Great call by Sony.
Its a guarantee on day 1 for all users saying "if you buy a XSX, you will have lots of games to play on it as soon as you set it up." All you need is Gamepass. Its a great way to give people lots of stuff to play.

Game prices went up. Especially with this economy now, many buyers will not want to spend hundreds on games all on day 1.

This will give me 120-150 games for "free" because I already have Gamepass and now as soon as I get my XSX, I'll have no shortage of top quality games to play, plus my backlog, plus Yakuza and Medium. Great call by MS.

Is this how you do it?

FranXico

Ehh nah. He took over and fired Shawn Layden, and all of sudden PS Now got a reboot, price cut, marketing push along with big 1st party games got put on it.

Jim Ryan's Sony has been pushing PS Now much more than ever before.
But he knows that their business model is selling big games day 1 for max money, and the services are extra.
But I want to hate that filthy liar more!

kyliethicc

Its a guarantee on day 1 for all users saying "if you buy a XSX, you will have lots of games to play on it as soon as you set it up." All you need is Gamepass. Its a great way to give people lots of stuff to play.

This will give me 120-150 games for "free" because I already have Gamepass and now as soon as I get my XSX, I'll have no shortage of top quality games to play, plus my backlog, plus Yakuza and Medium. Great call by MS.

Is this how you do it?
Um... sure. But Game Pass doesn't have the same high quality of AAA games and costs 2x what PS Plus costs. Whats the God of War or Bloodborne on Game Pass?

Better analogy is if it was with Xbox Live and only cost what is used to, but Microsoft doubled that price too.

Last edited:
ASgEohC3bbmkuradCx3zcb.jpg

I can't wait to try out 3D audio on this bad boy

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GOW2 could be next gen only, it’s a game that would benefit massively with the SSD

Uncharted San Diego title in 2022, next gen only

Bend Studio / ND / Insomniac in 2023?

hopefully media molecule starts making games and not engines, they are really talented but nobody wants to make games by themselves
lets hope so. But Jim Ryan said 3-4 years so i would suspect that means the unnanounced uncharted reboot is also cross gen.

have they denied that GoW2 will be cross gen? i remember a lot of rumors about Miles being cross gen back in June but they played dumb for months. They seem to be following the same playbook here.

Sorry i have zero faith in Sony right now.

Reactions: Rea

sircaw

Banned

Is this how you do it?

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you play say a week or a month.
150 games is a lot but realistically how many of those will you go through.

I am still on uncharted 4, 2 months later, i am very slow, that why game pass is a waste for someone like me.

Like to hear your reasoning on what you play or how long.

zaitsu

Banned
Destroyed is going a bit far, but it’s a interesting challenge for that subscription space.

“Play all these huge last gen PS4 games for free when you subscribe to Ps Plus” is a pretty good hook for both new and existing PS users.

But it’s nowhere near as comprehensive as GamePass, but then Sony have never really chased that model.
I mean al
GOW2 could be next gen only, it’s a game that would benefit massively with the SSD

Uncharted San Diego title in 2022, next gen only

Bend Studio / ND / Insomniac in 2023?

hopefully media molecule starts making games and not engines, they are really talented but nobody wants to make games by themselves
Common.
God of war e3 demo was made in 1.5 year, and after that whole game was made in 1.5 year.
They had story for sequel written already, engine up and running just waiting for PS5 upgrade. And even in first game there was a line that after 3 summers of winters comes ragnarok. The knew they need 3 years for PS5 sequel.

You need to go back and read the posts, not just come in at the last ones and try cause mayhem., now i get why your always so misinformed.

Effort Dude come on, someone genuinely said sorry to you and you can't be arse to go back and find it.

Come on, be better.
Seeing how some people here after being bitchslapped by sony in the face, still continue the "worship our lord and saviour" narrative, I don't think I'm going to waste the time reading back pages. If you want to assist me, point me to what you want me to read. :messenger_heart:

Um... sure. But Game Pass doesn't have the same high quality of AAA games and costs 2x what PS Plus costs. Whats the God of War or Bloodborne on Game Pass?

Better analogy is if it was with Xbox Live and only cost what is used to, but Microsoft doubled that price too.
I thought Gamepass only costs $1? Isn't that the concern over how can Gamepass be profitable?

It's only $1, man.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
lets hope so. But Jim Ryan said 3-4 years so i would suspect that means the unnanounced uncharted reboot is also cross gen.

have they denied that GoW2 will be cross gen? i remember a lot of rumors about Miles being cross gen back in June but they played dumb for months. They seem to be following the same playbook here.

3-4 year support - like ps plus monthly games not 1party support 😅

Is this how you do it?
I agree with you when you say that GamePass has alot for a consumer to go through at a much cheaper price than say buying a few AAA titles.

There is incentive there to pick up Xbox for that.

Currently Sony has PS Collection. Now my info on that is vague at the moment but i'm hoping that for a small fee you can get a few titles to play day 1.

But yeah currently (based on value) GamePass is on top.

Come on, be better.

I think this quote best sums up the general situation with him on these forums...

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”

― Raylan Givens Justified

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you play say a week or a month.
150 games is a lot but realistically how many of those will you go through.

I am still on uncharted 4, 2 months later, i am very slow, that why game pass is a waste for someone like me.

Like to hear your reasoning on what you play or how long.
Uncharted 4 took me a weekend for reference. The mp I played for a few months.

I play as much as I can but I'd say I'm around 10-15 hours during the week, 8-10 during the weekend. So about 25 a week.

Sounds like the ratio of disc supply to digital is around 75/80 to 20/25.

It's overall a genius play. Launch DE at $100 less, but make no stock available so that you can say you have a $399 console. Upsell to the $499 console. As your losses on the $399 are huge compared to the savings ($100 doesn't equal the savings from no DD) you don't actually want to sell many of them. The market is already moving digital irregardless of what you do for a disc or discless console. No need to change it your economics will still head to digital.

The fact that the ratios are 80/20 or 70/30 should make this very clear to everyone.

Sony doesn't want to take the losses on the DE so they make no supply available. They figure those people will take the $499 one if available. They still get the benefit of saying starting at $399..

I have a giant head, so headphones with a "tight" fit are really really uncomfortable for me, curious to see how these will be like. I'll be sure to get them if the fit is comfortable.

Your best bet is waiting for Youtube reviews before ordering then. You should be able to find one easily online, these won't be anywhere near as hard to get as a PS5 console.

kyliethicc

I thought Gamepass only costs $1? Isn't that the concern over how can MS be profitable?

It's only $1, man.
Its actually $120/year. And does not include online play like PS Plus. Thats Ultimate for $180/year. 3x cost of Plus.

And lacks the same high quality of those 18 AAA games added to PS Plus Collection. And its only $60/year and I have over 2 years already subbed.

But PS Plus could get a price raise too. Wouldn't shock me. I'm not trying to fight. Its just a nice perk for PS5 buyers.

Only top notch game I can think of on Game Pass is RDR2 right? And GTA5 too I'd assume?

But like what are the Persona 5 or Bloodborne or Uncharted 4 equivalents on Game Pass?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It was supposed to be Halo Infinite but obviously that got delayed. People love to rag on it's massive budget while claiming no big budget games can exist on Gamepass.

And how are games like Gears of War 5 not AAA? What about Forza? Whatever The Initiative is working on?

MS clearly plans for Gamepass to have "blockbuster" games,.

sircaw

Banned
Uncharted 4 took me a weekend for reference. The mp I played for a few months.

I play as much as I can but I'd say I'm around 10-15 hours during the week, 8-10 during the weekend. So about 25 a week.

yer so maybe you could do 4-5 games a month maybe 6?>

so yer i can see gamepass being very good for you

I agree with you when you say that GamePass has alot for a consumer to go through at a much cheaper price than say buying a few AAA titles.

Currently Sony has PS Collection. Now my info on that is vague at the moment but i'm hoping that for a small fee you can get a few titles to play day 1.

Agree 100% but I think PS Collection will offer a stopgap to the early launch window where games drop right at launch, a few trickle in after launch and then it's barren for 8-10 months. It's always been this way and I think the PS Collection will be Sony's answer to bridge that gap. Plus, backwards compatibility.

kyliethicc

It was supposed to be Halo Infinite but obviously that got delayed. People love to rag on it's massive budget while claiming no big budget games can exist on Gamepass.

And how are games like Gears of War 5 not AAA? What about Forza? Whatever The Initiative is working on?

All those games are AAA and Forza's always looked good. But Gears and Halo do not impress me. Meh.

zaitsu

Banned
Seeing how some people here after being bitchslapped by sony in the face, still continue the "worship our lord and saviour" narrative, I don't think I'm going to waste the time reading back pages. If you want to assist me, point me to what you want me to read. :messenger_heart:
I think its time to go my man.
Maybe if you wouldnt put us all on ignored you would fucling notice we dont like Horizon being cross gen.

PS4 still being relevant 3-4 more years is basically just multiplat stuff until it gets phased out.

some insider on REE said he heard Horizon was the last cross gen game from Sony first party

sircaw

Banned
I think this quote best sums up the general situation with him on these forums...

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”

I mean i seriously can not believe he just acted like that.
I love having fun, but an olive branch from someone is an olive branch and you should always be prepared not just as a fucking gamer but as a decent human being to be prepared to meet it.

I am kinda shocked at that tbh, i know he likes to fuck about but that is a pure arsehole move, and that's coming from me, another arsehole at times.

Really sadden by that.

Someone can link that shame shame shame gif plz, you know the one, game of thrones.

Last edited:
Its actually $120/year. And does not include online play like PS Plus. Thats Ultimate for $180/year. 3x cost of Plus.

And lacks the same high quality of those 18 AAA games added to PS Plus Collection. And its only $60/year and I have over 2 years already subbed.

But PS Plus could get a price raise too. Wouldn't shock me. I'm not trying to fight. Its just a nice perk for PS5 buyers.

Only top notch game I can think of on Game Pass is RDR2 right? And GTA5 too I'd assume?

But like what are the Persona 5 or Bloodborne or Uncharted 4 equivalents on Game Pass?
So Gamepass is very expensive when talking its value but very cheap when talking "how does MS make money off this thing?"

Do you see how that sounds?

If you think there are no quality games on there, I don't know what to tell you.

And I'm not trying to fight either, just point out the funniness of it all. I think PS Collection is awesome and definitely something I'm happy to have access to day 1.

wow, that is fucking low.
just the truth my friend.
even I, who am a critical person in general, was astounded by sony bullshitting all this time about "we believe in nextgen", while in reality they are releasing everything on ps4.

And if you want to talk about "low", I am a little extra astounded also because having already spiderman and all dlc, I will have to pay for them again to get the ps5 versions.
Being a customer of both microsoft and sony, I can definitely see the disparity here. and its big

thank you for the insight and welcome to my ignore list

Last edited:

kyliethicc

PS Plus Collection is 18 games all playable day 1 on PS5. All you need is PS Plus.

IntentionalPun

All those games are AAA and Forza's always looked good. But Gears and Halo do not impress me. Meh.
Well whether you like them or not is kinda beside the point. MS isn't the only one doing it either; Ubisoft and EA are certainly AAA. And they aren't doing this to make less money.

I personally think Sony could make an absolute killing with a day-one sub model... at some point they'll be one of the only major pubs not buying into the idea so that'll be interesting lol

sircaw

Banned
just the truth my friend.
even I, who am a critical person in general, was astounded by sony bullshitting all this time about "we believe in nextgen", while in reality they are releasing everything on ps4.

And if you want to talk about "low", I am a little extra astounded also because having already spiderman and all dlc, I will have to pay for them again to get the ps5 versions.
Being a customer of both microsoft and sony, I can definitely see the disparity here. and its big

I really don't want to hear it m8, you have seriously disappointed me.

In fact i am more disappointed in you as a human being. I expected better from you. That's very shallow dude.

zaitsu

Banned

Initiative probably still is in preproduction trying to decide what will they make, and trying few things on the same time. It new studio. Could be amazing. But its not even started yet probably. There is a reason why most studios are bought and not started from scratch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea
I mean al

Common.
God of war e3 demo was made in 1.5 year, and after that whole game was made in 1.5 year.
They had story for sequel written already, engine up and running just waiting for PS5 upgrade. And even in first game there was a line that after 3 summers of winters comes ragnarok. The knew they need 3 years for PS5 sequel.

what’s crazy to me is SSM releasing GOW2 in 2021, a little over 3 years, and next gen only

what has GG been doing? They have a full 1 extra year of dev on Horizon and it’s cross gen

horizon 2 better be a masterpiece, it’s getting the same schedule if not more than the original one took to make..

kyliethicc

So Gamepass is very expensive when talking its value but very cheap when talking "how does MS make money off this thing?"

Do you see how that sounds?

If you think there are no quality games on there, I don't know what to tell you.

And I'm not trying to fight either, just point out the funniness of it all. I think PS Collection is awesome and definitely something I'm happy to have access to day 1.
I never once talked about its revenue or profitability. Not related to my point.

I'm still unaware of even 5 or 10 high quality games on Game Pass, other than Forza and RDR2.

And its a bad value at 2-3x the cost of PSPlus.

IntentionalPun

Initiative probably still is in preproduction trying to decide what will they make, and trying few things on the same time. It new studio. Could be amazing. But its not even started yet probably. There is a reason why most studios are bought and not started from scratch.
The game could also suck.

My point is Gamepass is getting plenty of big budget games.

EA/Ubisoft release all of their big budget games on their services as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom