• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riky

$MSFT
You're right about that but then again consoles tend to set a baseline every gen due to how popular they are. Just looking at last gen more than 170 million people bought consoles. That's a pretty huge number in my opinion. It would make sense for developers to set that as a baseline than PCs from 20 years ago.

That depends on lead platform? The whole point of the unified GDK is that there isn't a lead platform as such, you develop your game and Series S and Series X will slot somewhere into the scale of settings. Obviously Series S will be lower but I doubt it will ever be the lowest.

That depends on lead platform? The whole point of the unified GDK is that there isn't a lead platform as such, you develop your game and Series S and Series X will slot somewhere into the scale of settings. Obviously Series S will be lower but I doubt it will ever be the lowest.

In theory you can't build a game off higher specifications than the XSS if you want said game to work on that platform. But I have no idea how long that will take to start being a problem.

I've seen ML terms being thrown around.

And every gamer has seen mo-cap animations being based on hooking up actors in games or movies with green screens and dots on them where a program tracks those nodes to make animations.

So what's the deal with ML that makes it so much better than before?

MoCap only captures the point cloud motion data of the actors. There's a whole process that aims to take that messy data, clean it up and translate it into usable animation data. That's the part that needs the most attention in terms of artist time and effort.

Tech like motion matching and this ML-based tech aims to automate this process so it's not nearly as labour intensive for artists. Instead, artists will need only do the final touch-ups of the animations.

Last edited:
So Sony should have a significant advantage in terms of game development going forward? It sounds like Microsoft took the wrong approach for "next gen" games.

The biggest advantage with Microsofts system is their BC capabilities. If they went extremely low level you wouldn't be seeing these big improvements with BC games.

Basically there are advantages to each system.

assurdum

Banned
So Sony should have a significant advantage in terms of game development going forward? It sounds like Microsoft took the wrong approach for "next gen" games.
I never said that. I'm not want to sound repetitive, it's stuff repeated ton of times, low API access give to you full access to the hardware resources, virtual code less if not at all, but it's all tied to the software house job. Obviously for a developer should be better to have a low API hardware.

Last edited:

thewire

Well he's saying the XSS isn't the weak link this generation. So if it isn't the XSS then which platform is? I mean the XSS is the weakest current gen console unless I'm missing something. Haven't seen the XSS edge out the other two in any comparison so that's proof that it's the weakest system out of the three. As for "the wire" I have no idea who he is. Lots of new accounts appear on this site so I don't know which one are alts.
I’m the wire, (named after the goat tv show) new account, no alt been a lurker for a years on gaf though, just finally made an account.
The Xbox series s is defo the weakest link of the generation, wait 3-4 years in too see how bad it gets for multi plats and don’t expect to see ms outdo Sony first party games cause of it.

Pretty easy. Developers can just set the minimum requirements higher on PC. They can't do that with consoles. That's the main disadvantage of having static hardware.
If you are going to reach the largest audience for your PC game you think a developer is going to pick a minimum spec higher than the XSS? Can you point to any game where this is true? Riky Riky already asked. We are talking minimum Zen2 CPU and GPU with raytracing, SFS, VRS, and an SSD? I highly doubt that. Most PCs out there don't beat the XSS now yet for some reason the XSS stands alone and the lowest spec device possible. I hope you don't really believe that.

Neo Blaster

The biggest advantage with Microsofts system is their BC capabilities. If they went extremely low level you wouldn't be seeing these big improvements with BC games.

Basically there are advantages to each system.
MS can't go low level without sacrificing portability among consoles(two versions just on next gen), cloud and PC. Sony can better optimize code cause they only have one next gen platform.

dcmk7

Banned
If you are going to reach the largest audience for your PC game you think a developer is going to pick a minimum spec higher than the XSS? Can you point to any game where this is true? Riky Riky already asked. We are talking minimum Zen2 CPU and GPU with raytracing, SFS, VRS, and an SSD? I highly doubt that. Most PCs out there don't beat the XSS now yet for some reason the XSS stands alone and the lowest spec device possible. I hope you don't really believe that.
Friendly advice.

Have a day off.

Well developers can't make an XSX exclusive so they have to make sure their games work on the XSS. As for the largest audience the PS5 will probably me the most sold system looking at history and current numbers. The PS5 could very well he the choice as the lead platform for many developers. Doesn't mean I don't believe they will not support Xbox though.

dcmk7

Banned
Friendly advice. Ignore my posts or make an intelligent response.

Like I said it was friendly advice, the whole Series S knight in shining armour act is pretty tired now and it's clutterring up yet another thread.

And seriously should think about having a day off, all your posts seem pretty emotional.

Why so emotionally invested in a console you don't even own? Sad.

Last edited:
How could any of that be possible when it's built perfectly for all of where next-gen game development is headed, which is around more compute based solutions particularly where Unreal Engine 5 is concerned? DirectX on Xbox is nothing like DirectX on PC. It's a lot faster and more extensible. In fact, the Agility SDK is specifically designed to allow developers to more quickly adopt and utilize specific features without having to concern themselves with all the people who don't yet have access to it.

Xbox has the capabilities, but now so too will people as far back on Windows 10 Operating system versions as far back as about September 2019.

To expand on this, the latest DX12 features were always exclusively reserved for those who had the latest version of the Windows 10 OS. Now because Microsoft has allowed support for all the very latest features going back as far as I think Sept 2019, this will significantly expand the potential OS userbase who can benefit, thus giving developers more incentive to add them to their games on PC, which in turn can benefit Xbox.

Last edited:

thewire

If that happens I think it will be more due to talent than the actual hardware.
It will be a mix of both but imagine the best studios in the business pooling all their resources onto one platform, the ps5, rather than having to spilt it between multiple platforms like Xbox series s/x & pc (that requires optimisation for each that certain people still lie about and say you press a compiler button and gdk magic happens).

It will be a mix of both but imagine the best studios in the business pooling all their resources onto one platform, the ps5, rather than having to spilt it between multiple platforms like Xbox series s/x & pc (that requires optimisation for each that certain people still lie about and say you press a compiler button and gdk magic happens).

Taking Naughty Dog as an example. I can imagine they if they had to make their games on many different platforms it would remove time from the main one. So in that way I can see it impacting development.

One of the PS5s biggest advantages over last gen is the I/O. Now imagine if Naughty Dog have to make sure their games are playable on HDDs. I can imagine that having a serious impact on the games design.

PSX

Pre-Ordered.

71648613.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Gamepass is $120 a year, $180 if you want to play online. It's not "free to play" games.

It's not really designed to be cheap.. or somehow make less money than selling games for $60. It's designed to scale and bring in a near guaranteed large revenue stream not directly tied to a series of game releases.

That's it. Get people in ecosystem; give them what appears to be a pretty good deal.. sell them lots of other stuff.

Tons of people jumped in because they got like three years for 1€...

Well developers can't make an XSX exclusive so they have to make sure their games work on the XSS. As for the largest audience the PS5 will probably me the most sold system looking at history and current numbers. The PS5 could very well he the choice as the lead platform for many developers. Doesn't mean I don't believe they will not support Xbox though.
The Xbox GDK allows for simultaneous development of PC, XSS and XSX versions of a game. It would probably be more work to try and carve out a system for exception. If you believe that the PS5 will be the lead platform for development that only reinforces the idea that the XSS won't be holding anything back. I also doubt that PS5 will be the lead development platform when there is a PC version planned for release too.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MoCap only captures the point cloud motion data of the actors. There's a whole process that aims to take that messy data, clean it up and translate it into usable animation data. That's the part that needs the most attention in terms of artist time and effort.
Well the ultimate goal is to eventually skip the MoCap and data-cleanup alltogether.
As a (very)loose analogy to motion-matching - start by capturing large database of real data and then fill-the gaps with the trained models. Theory being that eventually with enough data models become sophisticated enough to even self-improve etc. - but ultimately, you can generate new 'captures' without going through the manual iteration of capture etc.
Of course - the above has a good chance of working on gameplay movesets, and not really for performance-capture stuff, but the former is the more pressing problem to solve anyway.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Tons of people jumped in because they got like three years for 1€...
And? It's not designed to be $1.

They don't even offer a 3 month, or 6 month or 1 year day for GamePass. Just the $1 deal, that is surely going away.

Remember when MS tried to raise the price of Live? Remember when MS removed 12 month Live cards?

That was supposed to make the $1 GPU deal less good most likely... it's not going to last forever.

The Xbox GDK allows for simultaneous development of PC, XSS and XSX versions of a game. It would probably be more work to try and carve out a system for exception. If you believe that the PS5 will be the lead platform for development that only reinforces the idea that the XSS won't be holding anything back. I also doubt that PS5 will be the lead development platform when there is a PC version planned for release too.

So, simultaneously working on 3 different specs. So, everything is automatically. Just flip the switch. Yeah, no.

Last edited:
So, simultaneously working on 3 different specs. So, everything is automatically. Just flip the switch. Yeah, no.

Never said anything about just flipping a switch. Console development in general is work. The XSS wasn't designed to reduce work for developers it was designed for gamers on a budget. The GDK unifies the development so it's more efficient to make games across multiple platforms. As that development environment matures it will make development easier.

Shmunter

Never said anything about just flipping a switch. Console development in general is work. The XSS wasn't designed to reduce work for developers it was designed for gamers on a budget. The GDK unifies the development so it's more efficient to make games across multiple platforms. As that development environment matures it will make development easier.
Problem is, device agnostic tools by nature mean more is abstracted than needed, leading to less than optimal results. Jack of all trades, master of none.

If devs focus on XsS, then XsX will just be an upscaled version of that game with a few sliders jacked up, nothing more, nothing less.

To get the best out of something, it needs your entire focus to push things, no need to be concerned how something else needs to cope with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom