• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGN 11 out of 10
Windows Central 14 out of 10
DarkMage619 DarkMage619 300 out of ten
Riky Riky 500 out of ten with VRR

Karack 6.5 out of Ten

Err that's my guesses. "lollipop_disappointed:

Ps i did give bugsnax a ten out of ten FFS
You really, REALLY like us don't you Fishy. I think I'm going to have fishsticks in your honor tonight.

I'd wager the Medium will get an 80/100 as long as the gameplay holds up. As far as I know it will hit PS5 at some point too so don't knock the game just because it's on Xbox at the moment.

sircaw

Banned
You really, REALLY like us don't you Fishy. I think I'm going to have fishsticks in your honor tonight.

I'd wager the Medium will get an 80/100 as long as the gameplay holds up. As far as I know it will hit PS5 at some point too so don't knock the game just because it's on Xbox at the moment.
I was spreading love, i reckon it will be a 7.5

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cerny did say that if a game wasn't optimized correctly it could cause an unnecessary workload which would drop the clocks.
Are we going down this road again? Seriously. I’m honestly asking if you’re genuinely trolling and trying to play nice guy on here all the time, because you and I personally have been through this before.

You were balls up to the neck deep in this thread with all of us since the very beginning, you know the same song and dance has been repeated countless times that it won’t drop like that. Not even close.

Hitman 3 is not the fucking barometer of system performance when there are far more technically advanced and taxing games shitting all over it performance wise.

Seen you do this before in the past, then get corrected. So either you’re trolling or have really bad memory.

Just stop, before mods crack down on the nInE tIdDyFlOpS hurr durr, again.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Cerny did say that if a game wasn't optimized correctly it could cause an unnecessary workload which would drop the clocks.
In fact it spends most of its time at that frequency.

That doesn't mean all games will be running in 2.23 GHz and 3.5 GHz when that worst case game arrives it will run at a lower clock speed but not too much lower to reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency.

Are we going down this road again? Seriously. I’m honestly asking if you’re genuinely trolling and trying to play nice guy on here all the time, because you and I personally have been through this before.

You were balls up to the neck deep in this thread with all of us since the very beginning, you know the same song and dance has been repeated countless times that it won’t drop like that. Not even close.

Hitman 3 is not the fucking barometer of system performance when there are far more technically advanced and taxing games shitting all over it performance wise.

Seen you do this before in the past, then get corrected. So either you’re trolling or have really bad memory.

Just stop, before mods crack down on the nInE tIdDyFlOpS hurr durr, again.

If the developers do a shitty job with the code the clocks can drop which will impact performance. Games that are well designed won't really do that unless the workload is genuinely high.

We had some pretty close comparisons until now. If Hitman is just an outlier it would be nice to know what's going on with the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the developers do a shitty job with the code the clocks can drop which will impact performance. Games that are well designed won't really do that unless the workload is genuinely high.

We had some pretty close comparisons until now. If Hitman is just an outlier it would be nice to know what's going on with the game.
You can have shitty performance and not have anything to do with “dropping clocks.” Nor would they drop to the levels you’re trying to insinuate. WTF man!

The performance in unoptimized episodic jankfest games are not a new phenomenon.

Game is dropping large frames on the XSX as well, does that mean it’s dropping clocks on a fixed clock rate machine?

Just sounds like typical unoptimized software from non AAA skilled developers.

Last edited:
You can have shitty performance and not have anything to do with “dropping clocks.” Nor would they drop to the levels you’re trying to insinuate. WTF man!

The performance in unoptimized episodic jankfest games are not a new phenomenon.

Game is dropping large frames on the XSX as well, does that mean it’s dropping clocks on a fixed clock rate machine?

Well maybe the engine for whatever reason likes the XSX hardware better. Doesn't mean that all games will be this way.

Aren't the PS5 and Series X versions of Hitman 3 based off their PS4 Pro and One X siblings anyway?

Cross-gen is simply not the way to look at these systems. We all know this, but people are here desperate to pull out the measuring tape since multi-platform games built ground up for PS5 and Series X seem so far away.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No.... he didn't say that at all.
He did say that there could be a corner case of very power hungry instructions that at one point also managed 100% utilisation would lead to that, but he said older consoles would just shut down or worse in similar scenarios (hint: 100% utilisation especially with some high throughput high latency power hungry instructions is not nearly as easy to encounter, quite the opposite, as people think).

Seph-

Haven't posted cause ya know games. But I feel like people debating performance could probably use this quote from developer Matt Phillips right about now because it's pretty spot on with what's currently happening.

"No one statistic is a measure of power of a console, there are too many variables, and no one calculation to produce a result. It varies per game, per engine, per firmware, per development team, and per patch and it always will."

Last edited:

skit_data

Well maybe the engine for whatever reason likes the XSX hardware better. Doesn't mean that all games will be this way.
To me it looks to like pretty much all hardware except the PS5 when looking at benchmarks. It runs fairly well on last gen systems and older desktop GPUs. It is a curious case though, because the way i see it XSX performs pretty much as i expected whereas PS5 performs below what i expected in terms of resolution and settings.

Last edited:
Haven't posted cause ya know games. But I feel like people debating performance could probably use this quote from developer Matt Phillips right about now because it's pretty spot on with what's currently happening.

"No one statistic is a measure of power of a console, there are too many variables, and no one calculation to produce a result. It varies per game, per engine, per firmware, per development team, and per patch and it always will."

I remember someone saying that the engine seems to like Direct X alot more. Maybe that's the case with the game?

I remember seeing other games using different engines produce results that are alot closer.

Seph-

I remember someone saying that the engine seems to like Direct X alot more. Maybe that's the case with the game?

I remember seeing other games using different engines produce results that are alot closer.
It's certainly a possibility as even changing API on PC's have a varying effect on performance, or maybe the engine just uses the hardware in the X more efficiently. No real way to know unless you're the devs.

But as per my post that certainly applies to a few things we've already seen occur. Personally, this is about what I expected out of the consoles when they are used to their full. I and again this is imo can't notice a difference in shadows unless they are side by side. Even more so on resolution as that gap is even more miniscule. Also have a theory if they changed shadow detail the X would lock 60. But who knows, i'm just trying to enjoy games. All this my box is superior mumbo jumbo doesn't interest me.

He did say that there could be a corner case of very power hungry instructions that at one point also managed 100% utilisation would lead to that, but he said older consoles would just shut down or worse in similar scenarios (hint: 100% utilisation especially with some high throughput high latency power hungry instructions is not nearly as easy to encounter, quite the opposite, as people think).
Yes you're right, but this isn't something you'd see in a shipping game. It'd be picked up either in QA or during platform certification and corrected.

We've gone over the PS5 variable frequency discussion now so many times till we're all blew in the face. Clock-speed adjustment happens infrequently and for extremely short (ms) durations. You certainly won't see the GPU clocks dropping anywhere near as low as 1.7 GHz for prolonged periods, which is what it would need to be if variable clocks was the reason for the sub-5700 performance of the PS5 in Hitman 3.

The postulation of variable clocks being the reason for the disappointing PS5 performance is so absurd that we shouldn't entertain such discussion. Otherwise the thread will just get derailed again as we go round and round trying to explain for the millionth time how PS5's variable GPU clock regime works to posters who stubbornly and ostensibly aren't even willing to try to understand.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

So with Hitman 3 RT update, will is be know as Raytracing mode running at 30fps on XSX and XSS and where does that leave the PS5. 🤔

Another thing, is the Tempest Engine actually utilized on Hitman 3 or is it just idle....I mean there's additional processing power when not using the Engine for the 3D Audio it's intended for.

For anyone that has played Hitman 3 on PS5... How is the audio?
GE engine isn't for 3d audio. The tempest is. And Sony themselves said it's gonna be a little bit before devs figure it out and implement it. Guessing it will start with horizon or some game in 2022

skit_data

GE engine isn't for 3d audio. The tempest is. And Sony themselves said it's gonna be a little bit before devs figure it out and implement it. Guessing it will start with horizon or some game in 2022
Im pretty sure its implemented to some extent in Demons Souls, the soundstage feels wider and more accurate, like listening to a pair of headphones with a wider soundstage. It only applies to headphones for now unfortunately, i think the plan is to make it work better for soundbars next and 5.1 setups last.

FrankWza

Im pretty sure its implemented to some extent in Demons Souls, the soundstage feels wider and more accurate, like listening to a pair of headphones with a wider soundstage. It only applies to headphones for now unfortunately, i think the plan is to make it work better for soundbars next and 5.1 setups last.
He meant the dedicated audio chip I think

Imtjnotu

You're referring to tempest not GE

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
quick question.
On ps5, the ps plus collection is only available to me as long as I subscribe? So if I will buy a month, the games will only be playable for a month?

assurdum

Banned
Cerny said what? Where did you read that? He said the exact contrary, the kit tools save the profile of all the games to keep the choice of the best performance possible with the optimal variable frequency.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's certainly a possibility as even changing API on PC's have a varying effect on performance, or maybe the engine just uses the hardware in the X more efficiently. No real way to know unless you're the devs.

But as per my post that certainly applies to a few things we've already seen occur. Personally, this is about what I expected out of the consoles when they are used to their full. I and again this is imo can't notice a difference in shadows unless they are side by side. Even more so on resolution as that gap is even more miniscule. Also have a theory if they changed shadow detail the X would lock 60. But who knows, i'm just trying to enjoy games. All this my box is superior mumbo jumbo doesn't interest me.
You expected a 40 % of gap with a 20 % of more power? :messenger_neutral: Man seems a lot of people is quite convinced Cerny is a total idiot then.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
2LP1.gif

I would say they just need to feed GP. Doesn't matter if it is good as long as the dev accepts MS deal.
That's an important consideration and a pretty damning downside to subscription based Netflix-style models.

As long as the games are sufficiently hyped, it doesn't matter whether they're good because GP means they're freed from the financial concern of having to sell discrete copies of the title.

LeviathaGamer2 tweeted a while back. Here:

Alex from DF is misinformed. The "Primitive Shaders =/= Mesh Shader" narrative comes from PC devs who worked on AMD Vega GPUs, where PS were nerfed in the drivers and not even fully enabled (possibly because the HW was bugged). When you read the description in the Vega white paper of what Primitive Shaders and the NGG fast path are supposed to achieve and then compare with NVidia's description of Mesh Shaders, it's pretty clear they're doing the same thing and are pretty much just two different naming conventions for the same underlying tech..

AMD fixed PS and the NGG in RDNA, so the full functionality should be exposed to devs and it should be clear how similar the features are. But since Alex isn't a dev he just continues to regurgitate out of date info..

Edit:
And to further buttress the point that Mesh Shaders == Primitive Shaders, see the following blog articles from Disruptive_ludens:
Primitive Shader = Mesh Shader: Link
PS5 vs XSX: Primitive/Mesh Shaders: Link

Last edited:

demigod

80 metascore is not happening. The game looks to be in the 70s.

I'd just boil Hitman down as a rushed port. They're developing for 7+ platforms. Probably too much workload to be getting the most out of each platform. I'd imagine they had more time working with DirectX too.
Agreed.

I would argue it's a similar case as to what happened with Dirt 5 at the game's launch on XSX. The game was well behind PS5 in performance. After an update the gap closed significantly. It was clear the XSX version at launch was just rushed through for launch likely to due to schedule deadline demands.

Very likely a similar case here with Hitman 3 on PS5. They did a quick port up from PS4 Pro and didn't have much time to start optimising. A patch later and I'm sure it will be brought up to where it should be performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom