• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashi

WTF! Gonna search about JOLED. Sounds to me like Japanese OLED.

Sony and specially Panasonic have most advance technology - "ink' printing OLED equipment. Panasonic first show that in 2013. It reduce costs and time. At now only Sony and Panasonic.. JOLED (and some US manufactures) have technology for printing panels.

Zoro7

Banned
I didn't suggest anything about PS5, you made that up.

"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

AMD’s latest RDNA 2 architecture delivers a significant increase in performance and efficiency over previous architectures, as well as adding new hardware acceleration capabilities including hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing, Mesh Shaders, Sampler Feedback and Variable Rate Shading."

That's the joint statement from AMD and Microsoft. It's very simple.

We have seen VRS tier 2 on Gears 5 and Gears Tactics already. If Sony has some implementation of it and it's their own we have no clue how effective it is in comparison because even first party software hasn't shown it. Since it's their implementation on their hardware on their games you have to ask the question why?
This forum is better without seeing your terrible attempts at trolling. Enjoy my ignore list!

LiquidRex

LiquidRex

So with Hitman 3 RT update, will is be know as Raytracing mode running at 30fps on XSX and XSS and where does that leave the PS5. 🤔

Another thing, is the Tempest Engine actually utilized on Hitman 3 or is it just idle....I mean there's additional processing power when not using the Engine for the 3D Audio it's intended for.

For anyone that has played Hitman 3 on PS5... How is the audio?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This forum is better without seeing your terrible attempts at trolling. Enjoy my ignore list!
Ignore list is a double edged sword for several reasons, not only because I believe that ideas should be debated openly.

If you were talking to a real trolls or astroturfers (whichever flag they have up) the best thing that can happen to them is that people that disagree with them and prove them wrong or point flaws in what they say stop doing so which means that the message is free to bounce in an echo chamber, gets louder, and becomes more effective at convincing the larger majority and gets more snd more people repeating it which has the psychological effect of sounding more and more like truth purely because of repetition.

Then again, I get why some people do it because it can be frustrating, but those trolls and astroturfers kind of want you to add them to the ignore list (to a point as if everyone did they would not be able to reach anyone, but that is unlikely to ever happen).

Last edited:

Tarin02543

WTF! Gonna search about JOLED. Sounds to me like Japanese OLED.

Yep, I've been following Joled for the last couple of year. This year they start mass production in Japan, first product will be a 32 inch LG Pro Oled monitor. You can expect to pay at least 8000 dollars for it as it is aimed for professionals.

Last year a 21.6 joled asus and eizo monitor were also introduced at 5000 dollars in very very limited quantities.

I thought CES 2021 was going to announce semi affordable Joled monitors but alas, no luck. I'll settle for a LG oled 42 inch tv and go for a joled in 6/7 years time.

Riky

$MSFT

A statement from AMD/Microsoft is trolling?🤣 I'd take that up with AMD if I were you, I'm sure they would be interested in your reasoning.

assurdum

Banned
Ignore list is a double edged sword, also because I believe that ideas should be debated openly. If you were talking to a real troll or astroturfers (whichever flag they have up) the best thing that can happen to them is that people that disagree with them and prove them wrong or point flaws in what they say stop doing so which means that the message is free to bounce in an echo chamber, gets louder, and becomes more effective at convincing the larger majority and gets more snd more people repeating it which has the psychological effect of sounding more and more like truth purely because of repetition.

Then again, I get why some people do it because it can be frustrating.
I'm not debating openly with the stupidity and childish attitude. I try for awhile but when it's enough, ignore list is unavoidable. The double edge is those idiots continue to push you with lolling gif continually, I ask to the moderation to stop those clown by this attitude but I was even accused to not to be mature and I have to accept it like wut. I don't get it why to such people is allow to harass me when you asked simply to be ignored by them, not seems a childish request to me.

Last edited:
Riky Riky Which RDNA2 features aren't being used yet and can you tell me what advantages they will provide?
I think he might be referring to things like VRS (Tier 2), Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback Streaming. Most of which have not yet been implemented in the current games.

Although I don't really see these features as what makes up RDNA 2, that would be more the architecture of the actual GPU. The PS5 offers similar functionality anyways. For example, Mesh Shaders are an API implementation, Primitive Shaders which the PS5 features will offer the same results. In fact, the RDNA 2 cards compile Mesh Shaders into Primitive Shaders in code and AMD have still been filing patents for Primitive Shaders within the past year.

We haven't got official confirmation for VRS on the Playstation 5, but according reliable leakers, developer comments and official patents it is very likely present on the PS5.

The PS5 does not feature sampler feedback streaming, although it is a cool performance saving feature. However I do remember RGT saying that developers were allowed to create their own similar functionality on the PS5, perhaps a variation of it will be available for it in the future for Playstation developers.

Once these features are fully embraced and utilised by developers I think we'll see some incredible things for both consoles. But to say they will offer the Series X some sort of big advantage over the PS5 is just not true.

Shmunter

So with Hitman 3 RT update, will is be know as Raytracing mode running at 30fps on XSX and XSS and where does that leave the PS5. 🤔

Another thing, is the Tempest Engine actually utilized on Hitman 3 or is it just idle....I mean there's additional processing power when not using the Engine for the 3D Audio it's intended for.

For anyone that has played Hitman 3 on PS5... How is the audio?
If RT is GPU resources dependent, lowering rez should always give some room for rt in a game. Hopefully.

Last edited:

skit_data

The latest DF video on PC vs Consoles (Mostly PS5) settings offer an interesting insight into what makes the performance so different in Hitman 3.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Tier 1 VRS offers quite a signifcant performance boost on Hitman 3, and that is the cause of the disparity between the two. The Geometry Engine in PS5 has someting similar to tier 2 or above but it was not implemented, but tier 1 on Series X was.

Thoughts?

Mr Moose

The latest DF video on PC vs Consoles (Mostly PS5) settings offer an interesting insight into what makes the performance so different in Hitman 3.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Tier 1 VRS offers quite a signifcant performance boost on Hitman 3, and that is the cause of the disparity between the two. The Geometry Engine in PS5 has someting similar to tier 2 or above but it was not implemented, but tier 1 on Series X was.

Thoughts?

I am not sure if Series X uses tier 1, I think it's just tier 2, unless that was just for Gears.

Loope

"We hear you"... "we're listening" from MS has become a freaking meme at this point.

If you weren't so freaking tone deaf, you wouldn't have tried that shit in the first place. Xbox management is clearly out of touch with reality and today's blatant cash-grab attempt, back-peddle and subsequent pathetic attempt to appeal to gamer propinquity with the "we hear you" meme only further demonstrates that.

They must think we're all daft and don't see through their obvious original intent with the XBLG price hike.
Where did you leave Dr Watson?

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

Thoughts?

Do they say this in the video? do you have a time stamp prehaps.

Mr Moose

Do they say this in the video? do you have a time stamp prehaps.
gNKRgJg.jpg

Slightly off topic but interesting to see that the leap in performance from RDNA 2 to 3 will be bigger than 1 to 2 as well as many other improvements.

Speaking of RDNA 3

“And I’m also told through the grapevine that there are other fundamental improvements to the GPU architecture, not least of which is radical improvements to geometry handling which I was hearing was actually inspired by the work Sony did for the PS5”

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
"Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

AMD’s latest RDNA 2 architecture delivers a significant increase in performance and efficiency over previous architectures, as well as adding new hardware acceleration capabilities including hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing, Mesh Shaders, Sampler Feedback and Variable Rate Shading."

Nope, you didn't, you only said something about VRS, nothing else. Is that what you meant by RDNA2 features, just VRS?

And what advantages will that bring?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wonder why on youtube, people who work with TVs are one of the most ugly speciments of mankind. Especially when they are judging, what is and what isn't ugly/nice picture. I gotta admit I can't watch it.

Last edited:
PS5 performing like a 7.9 tflops 5700 in this game. Absolutely abysmal performance.
Well, considering it runs locked 60fps, I'd argue the devs are simply leaving performance on the table.

Why? Probably a lack of effort in optimisation, possibly due to time constraints or a lack of experience with non-DX platforms. It's pretty clear the PS5 version could do a lot better. So this is clearly on the devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom