• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

renx

Because first is Sony ... they are weird for the good things are for the bad things, second if you have something which is
ahead in the roadmap of AMD you cannot talk about it, the NDAs also apply to Sony.

I don't think there's a possible NDA over a released product.
They wouldn't show up in Q3 2021 saying "you purchased this hardware 10 months ago, but we couldn't talk about it".

I don't rule out the idea of the PS5 having a nice custom feature. But they should be able to tell about how special it is.

geordiemp

Poor Series X... when it finally gets a game with Ray Tracing, it crashes after 30 seconds.

Insomniac dev on MM RT technique

pfuR2Ta.png

onesvenus

Its Tier 2 in the AMD video on Dirt that says uses DX12U on 6800. So I douby XSX is any different.

VRS is a good idea, but the question is 10 % really worth the texture down grade over upscaling, especaily when used so liberally. Jury is out.
In the gears 5 DF video, John says it's basically imperceptible so I'd say that gaining a 10% without being perceived is a no brainer

Andodalf

Banned
Unless devs are only using VRS Tier 1 because early XSX SDKs haven't fully exposed VRS Tier 2, I'm pretty flabbergasted by the VRS implementation in XSX games thus far.

VRS Tier 2 is supposed to be smart enough that, when used carefully, it shouldn't perceptibly degrade IQ at all. The fact that both the above example and the Halo Infinite footage showed clear signs of degraded IQ in isolated regions of the frame, either VRS Tier 2 is available and not being implemented with enough care, it's bugged in the SDK, or something clearly isn't working as intended or missing (like a whole Tier 2 option).

It's super weird.

VRS tier2 is in gears 5

geordiemp

In the gears 5 DF video, John says it's basically imperceptible so I'd say that gaining a 10% without being perceived is a no brainer

Its a no brainer in racing games etc, and VR. but if you can see it and artefacts in a game just to get 100 extra liness instead of temporal upscale....is it really better ? I am not so sure. That goes for both consoles.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Unless devs are only using VRS Tier 1 because early XSX SDKs haven't fully exposed VRS Tier 2, I'm pretty flabbergasted by the VRS implementation in XSX games thus far.

VRS Tier 2 is supposed to be smart enough that, when used carefully, it shouldn't perceptibly degrade IQ at all. The fact that both the above example and the Halo Infinite footage showed clear signs of degraded IQ in isolated regions of the frame, either VRS Tier 2 is available and not being implemented with enough care, it's bugged in the SDK, or something clearly isn't working as intended or missing (like a whole Tier 2 option).

It's super weird.
I suspect the VRS is working fine, and the IQ problem is caused by late texture streaming because of BCPack - so it is shading with lower LOD and a LOD level with more discernible noise from RDO decisions.

VRS might be a feature choice that needs highest LOD - applicable for the samplers - and texture sampling to be from lossless texture formats, rather than lossy.

They wouldn't show up in Q3 2021 saying "you purchased this hardware 10 months ago, but we couldn't talk about it".

I don't rule out the idea of the PS5 having a nice custom feature. But they should be able to tell about how special it is.
Also aside the discussion if PS5 have or not a next RDNA feature.

That is how can works a NDA, doesn't matter if a product is released or not a NDA can continue applying.

Last edited:
Some artists will be not agree with you, not because DF hardly can see it means all in the industry will use it just
because can be used.

I am agree that VRS will be use it in more titles but they need to be careful to not remove details which they think
are an essential part of the frame/scene.

Last edited:
Just wanted to jump in here and say to keep posting. We're almost at 4000 pages. Don't give up.
I'm sure this next week we will reach 4000, or at least close to that. Both consoles are releasing, we're getting game reviews and most likely what people are expecting the most, comparisons.

My God ... this how works the NDAs is not guessing, many things could be hardware or software are never say it publically, of course
you cannot use that as an argument that X feature exists but even now exists a NDA for the API details of PS4.

We have years living with Sony and Nintendo, they are not like the companies in US which need to say each part of its features
the only need sometime the people who work in its products to know about its existence and how use it.

If not was for things like GDC we don't have idea about the details of the implementation of VRS in Call of Duty MW in current hardware.

Is not like you go with you doctor a demands he had to explain you or company who make some medicine how works in a protein level.

Last edited:

ErRor88

I don’t think ms is dumb enough to buy some big jp developers. You don’t make Japanese fans by taking Japanese games away from the PlayStation

Not if MS is saving from being shutdown. The Japanese people might feel more comfortable if it's saving a franchise they love. Also, it's 2020 anything can happen including Japanese liking MS products.

jamwest24

Not if MS is saving from being shutdown. The Japanese people might feel more comfortable if it's saving a franchise they love. Also, it's 2020 anything can happen including Japanese liking MS products.

I know 2020 has been crazy and all... but let’s not completely lose our minds with the idea that the Japanese will ever really care about a Microsoft product 😂

HAL-01

Perhaps, though I don’t think ms would be looking to buy a dying studio. The most likely course of action would be to commission a jp studio for a new Xbox ip and prevent it from turning into scalebound. Or perhaps even develop something in the west that would appeal to a jp audience. Ghosts of Tsushima was huge in Japan because of its American take on a Japanese genre

inflation

Perhaps, though I don’t think ms would be looking to buy a dying studio. The most likely course of action would be to commission a jp studio for a new Xbox ip and prevent it from turning into scalebound. Or perhaps even develop something in the west that would appeal to a jp audience. Ghosts of Tsushima was huge in Japan because of its American take on a Japanese genre
MS did that really hard in 360 era and still lost in the end. Now the whole "console war" is not really a matter in Japan because the idea of console gaming is losing to mobile games (except Nintendo Switch, which can be portable). The console game devs are divided into two categories, one to produce more "worldwide" (mainly Western-like) games so they can profit from larger audience, the other to focus on "dying traditions" and hopefully maintain current fans in the future.

Loxus

As a refresher for the geometry engine here's the transcription for the Road to PS5.

Road to PS5Transcribe, is the Bible version of the PS5.
It holds all the information we all need from long ago, but many over look it.
Believe in Mark Cerny's Sacred Scriptures.

I've added my quote about expandable storage for this thread so more people can understand how important Road to PS5 is.
"Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console."
"Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it if you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal."
"You can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD."

"If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage."
"We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs."
"These are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5."
"As for which ones we support and when I'll get to that in a moment."
"They connect through the custom I/O unit just like our SSD does."
"So they can take full advantage of the decompression I/O coprocessors and all the other features I was talking about."

"Here's the catch though that commercial drive has to be at least as fast as ours games that rely on the speed of our SSD need to work flawlessly with M.2 drive."

Base on Mark Cerny's Road to PS5.
It sounds like USB external hard drive is only for PS4 titles, while the M.2 SSD which adds to the SSD storage is for PS5 titles.

My question is, isn't this article talking about USB external hard drive storage?
From the article:
"When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”."

So for, it sound like the M.2 SSD storage maybe under embargo or hidden behind a lunch day update for reasons unknow.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Just got my Sony direct shipping confirmation! (It’s happening.gif!!!!)

Wow, I was just going to post this as well. Mine says it's in Tennessee and on the way. I'm in Arizona, so I would assume that like most FedEx/UPS type deliveries, I'd get it in 2-3 days. I'm thinking this means I may have it BEFORE Thursday! That would be awesome anyway, but bottom line as long as I get it Thursday, I'll be happy.

Imtjnotu

Wow, I was just going to post this as well. Mine says it's in Tennessee and on the way. I'm in Arizona, so I would assume that like most FedEx/UPS type deliveries, I'd get it in 2-3 days. I'm thinking this means I may have it BEFORE Thursday! That would be awesome anyway, but bottom line as long as I get it Thursday, I'll be happy.
If you get mine before me I'll drive to Arizona and take your shit

Krisprolls

Banned

Lucky guys ! Here in Europe we only get it in 11 days.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Lol they need stability updates like on PS4.

If the crashes were on PS5, there would already be 12 threads about it on the front page. ^^

Anyone who's not expecting more than the usual amount of crashes from EITHER new console and ESPECIALLY when dealing with backwards compatibility this early on, deserves whatever drama they create. It's gonna happen.

Just wait to see the wave of a few people reporting that their console is DOA or that it overheats or breaks after an hour or two. Those few reports will be spread ALL OVER like it's thousands instead of just a few. Oh yes, the drama will be thick and fast this week! Just wait!

Kerlurk

Banned
My local BestBuy (Metrotown, Vancouver)

bPckYBE.jpg

z11CCAS.jpg

Unit on display had no power lights on and only *one* cable in back, which I'm not sure what it was. Of course minimum cabling has to be power and HDMI. So actual PS5 unit was hidden.

TV was XBR-43X800H.

No XSX or XSS on display. Asked about it, and employee said it was coming later.

PS5 was playing promotional video loop of games.

From bottom of unit:
FKg629l.jpg

Back of TV:
rMe3Glx.jpg

Last edited:

Rea

Lol....My Brother says that when he gets Miles Morales, he's gonna choose Fidelity Mode and turn on truemotion in his LG C8 so it feels like 60fps with raytracing :messenger_tears_of_joy:
But, that would add tons of latency, it's ok if your brother don't mind playing with latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom