• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistBreeze

SO this leaves AC Valhalla and Call of Duty cold war and Watch Dog legion for November then

is there another big game this month 3rd party?

Remember talking about the XSX overheating and I had said it may be people putting them into tight and or enclosed spaces and not allowed to breathe?

Then some people here laughed saying no no these people know how and where to store these consoles?

giphy.gif

Ptarmiganx2

Not saying the rumor is true because it's probably not but let's assume that it is.

The CUs in PS5 being RDNA2 and the CUs in the XSX being RDNA1 would still make the XSX the more powerful system. The only thing that will happen is that the gap would decrease even further.

What I'm not seeing is either system having a massive advantage over the other. The biggest difference between the two is the I/O. However many people don't care if the PS5 loads games twice as fast (basic example).
Christ, I/O is not just about loading...go back and watch the UE5 demo.

LucidFlux

I guess you cannot cull everything in the frustum with ray traced reflections as well, so another thing to be taken into account compared to Nanite which is only working on stuff in view.

I think you're getting at how the geometry engine interacts with both of these techniques when it culls back faced or off screen geometry and for that I think it depends.

For reflections the off screen object's data or a lower resolution bounding volume would still need to be in memory however in theory GPU cycles would be saved from not having to actually render the more complex source geometry of off screen objects except of course in the reflection itself (while depending on the surface, even that will likely be of a lower resolution unless we're talking an up close reflection on a perfectly clean mirror like in a bathroom). For calculating light bounces it depends on how detailed and realistic you want to make the bounce.

I expect nanite to work hand in hand with hardware based RT as they solve different things. Nanite is just forever ridding us of LOD jumps and providing essentially infinite detail due to the fine grain asset streaming. It seems like it would be very GPU intensive work but is partly made possible due to how light weight the geometry engine makes synthesizing geometry on the fly.

MS’s budget went into a cardboard box instead of games and changing the user experience.
I am going to buy an XSX and unpack it, pack it up again... unpack it... cause experience is through the roof!

This is my opinion on the packaging.

As long as the console arrives safe and sound I don't really care about the packaging looking fancy.

I bought a GoW PS4 Pro and it arrived just fine and offered me a chance to play a ton of great games on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom