• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
.390 tflops when docked.

i bought my son a switch lite too. the kiddie mario and other nintendo games look fine because they arent lookers in the first place. its when you start playing real games with AAA production values on it that the façade starts to break down.

q8tgAik.jpg

dk6HKxj.jpg

6B45Icd.png

5PCPGdM.png

VocIsoz.png

G9Wkq1N.png

some games actually hit 360p on the switch when in handheld mode. i believe that yoshi game, doom, mortal kombat and wolfenstein all hang out in the 480p range going all the way down to 360p regularly.

I always see DF call switch ports magic or miracles or some other dumb shit

Real magical lmao

Last edited:

Zadom

.390 tflops when docked.

i bought my son a switch lite too. the kiddie mario and other nintendo games look fine because they arent lookers in the first place. its when you start playing real games with AAA production values on it that the façade starts to break down.

q8tgAik.jpg

dk6HKxj.jpg

6B45Icd.png

5PCPGdM.png

VocIsoz.png

G9Wkq1N.png

some games actually hit 360p on the switch when in handheld mode. i believe that yoshi game, doom, mortal kombat and wolfenstein all hang out in the 480p range going all the way down to 360p regularly.
To me there is a big difference, but not 90% difference which is what I would expect from the TFlops difference. My lack of understanding on tech doesn’t belong in this thread. I will just continue reading others posts.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
All i know is there are some over-sensitive pussies on this forum, and a lot of them seem to come from the UK.

the land of banter, i am ashamed to say, humor seems to have died in my country.
Nothing beats British banter, honestly, we take the jokes dangerously far yet somehow manage to get away with them and we all still laugh haha!

But yeah, your genuinely one of the funniest people on this thread and it's great that you keep everything light hearted and it's refreshing because there's way to many emotional people on these threads!

Antelope

i don't know, i am tired of trying to have proper conversations with people in private, only for them to think that i am not being truthful or something.

Very soon it's time to move on from this place.

In regards to console stuff, not a lot has changed, nothing really significant to report about. Xbox thermals came back, seem to be fine, the grill at the top/ vent thing comes in at 60 degrees, people say that is acceptable.

Ps5, i think the initial report of the storage being 640 or something available was correct, that's an old leak that turned outright.

Um, assassins creed looks fucking awful, 3 weeks to launch and the crunch must be insane.

dirt demo came out, it's a mixed bag, some shots looked extremely ugly, gameplay or i think fps was decent/good.
there are like screenshots of cars and trees being cut in half, not an expert on it but i am sure someone will explain or link you a screenshot.

I got a lot of abuse, people don't like my jokes and i was told to apologize to the community by one person saying i have turned this place into a stagnant pond of toxicity. I was rather proud.

Today some asked me if i was a native English speaker cos yer, I can't spell or add fucking commas.

Geordie has challenged me to a Zimmer frame duel when we hit the care home( i am so going wreck him)

And that's it, need to feed fish now bbl.

I find your jokes funny, but what do I know....I’m just a sensible Canadian watching the US and UK race for the title of most inept state.

Also, in the age of the pandemic, I’m confident everybody’s new tech toys will suffer from major quality control issues. Can’t wait for the post-release threads. It’s going to be hot in here 🔥!

Last edited:
I find your jokes funny, but what do I know....I’m just a sensible Canadian watching the US and UK race for the title of most inept state.

Also, in the age of the pandemic, I’m confident everybody’s new tech toys will suffer from major quality control issues. Can’t wait for the post-release threads. It’s going to be hot in here 🔥!
1st of all. Fuck you, you syrup guzzling lint licker! We have a very stable genius as head of state. Some people says he knows words, the best words in fact. His opposition is also very astute, absolutely doesn’t fall asleep mid sentence, and is very not creepy. American politics is a absolute hoot. Especially if you read FoxNews.com comments. Like me, a true patriot.

Last edited:

Zadom

United States has its problems, but it’s hard to receive insults from the most inconsequential country in existence.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here are my wants and do not fucking want for the remaining unannounced ps5 features.

Want: 60 fps boost mode like ghost of tshushima. Or just unlocked fps boost mode. Just bought a vrr tv. I don't care if they don't hit a locked 120 fps. Vrr should handle it.

Do not want: An additional GB or even 0.5 Gb of vram dedicated to the os for the 4k ui. Make it 13.5 gb for games and we are good.

Want: ultra fast load times. Xsx is very impressive but I want more.

do not want: 175 gb allocated for os. 650 gb is way too low.

want: tlou2, gow, rdr2, death stranding, days gone, horizon day one patches for 60 FPS. 120 FPS preferred

Barakov

i don't know, i am tired of trying to have proper conversations with people in private, only for them to think that i am not being truthful or something.

Very soon it's time to move on from this place.

In regards to console stuff, not a lot has changed, nothing really significant to report about. Xbox thermals came back, seem to be fine, the grill at the top/ vent thing comes in at 60 degrees, people say that is acceptable.

Ps5, i think the initial report of the storage being 640 or something available was correct, that's an old leak that turned outright.

Um, assassins creed looks fucking awful, 3 weeks to launch and the crunch must be insane.

dirt demo came out, it's a mixed bag, some shots looked extremely ugly, gameplay or i think fps was decent/good.
there are like screenshots of cars and trees being cut in half, not an expert on it but i am sure someone will explain or link you a screenshot.

I got a lot of abuse, people don't like my jokes and i was told to apologize to the community by one person saying i have turned this place into a stagnant pond of toxicity. I was rather proud.

Today some asked me if i was a native English speaker cos yer, I can't spell or add fucking commas.

Geordie has challenged me to a Zimmer frame duel when we hit the care home( i am so going wreck him)

And that's it, need to feed fish now bbl.
I thought the exodus culled the sheep so to speak.

Apparently. some softies slipped through the cracks. Sircaw, keep doing what you do. I think we're going to need more toxicity if we're going to reach 4,000 pages.

2VKI4rs.gif

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Here are my wants and do not fucking want for the remaining unannounced ps5 features.

Want: 60 fps boost mode like ghost of tshushima. Or just unlocked fps boost mode. Just bought a vrr tv. I don't care if they don't hit a locked 120 fps. Vrr should handle it.

Do not want: An additional GB or even 0.5 Gb of vram dedicated to the os for the 4k ui. Make it 13.5 gb for games and we are good.

want: tlou2, gow, rdr2, death stranding, days gone, horizon day one patches for 60 FPS. 120 FPS preferred
I don’t think you are going to get your wish for the OS. That is probably true but it is very easy to get expandable memory. I just want it to be fast, so I can get in and out of games. I never filled up my PS4 Pro.

That could also be true because I have 3 SSDs on my computer and I game on it besides the PS5 exclusives.

That’s why I haven’t preordered a XBox SX, I have gamepass on PC, along with the Ubisoft monthly thingy.

3liteDragon

The Touryst Renders at 6K/4K on Xbox Series X/S; It Almost Looks Like a Good CGI Movie, Says Dev

We were able to get a few comments from Shin'en Multimedia CEO Manfred Linzner on their favorite part of the Xbox Series X hardware and the optimizations made for both Series X and Series S.

🙃
lhxO8Sg.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ah, Wally. They can always be counted on to never pay attention to street dates. I figure they'll throw the systems on the shelf in a week or two.

Can use Brickseeker and see if they are in stock locally.

My closest WalMart shows zero stock but the next one about 30 minutes away shows 6+ in stock might go for a ride and try to grab an extra

Dolomite

That's....a surprisingly sensible and achievable list of demands. Wish we had some Sony devs lurking around

DaGwaphics

SlimySnake SlimySnake why do you do the Switch like that. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Those comparisons always crack me up. I will say that the resolution downgrades aren't quite as noticeable on the small screen in person (I don't own one but have played a few minutes of Doom on there).

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake why do you do the Switch like that. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Those comparisons always crack me up. I will say that the resolution downgrades aren't quite as noticeable on the small screen in person (I don't own one but have played a few minutes of Doom on there).
yeah, i played botw and odyssey on it, and tbh those games look fine. even on the big screen.

my son has a switch lite and the mario games he plays on there look fine as well. havent tried any of the AAA games though.

I just dont care for console makers going cheap. this is nintendo launching a last gen console three gens in a row. i hate how they are allowed to just get away with it. at least MS got some pushback for the xss. Nintendo just keeps releasing one last gen console after another and they are consistently rewarded for it.

it just sets a bad precedent.

With the risk of sound rude, learn to make games so you can start to dev the things you want and then finally you can
understand than the things you want are tantrums and sorry if sounds offensive but since many time before I start to post here
I saw your wishes/desires and are out of proportion.

If you think any use of memory/processing power for something aside to a game is a deal breaker then stop of playing
you won't find that in any modern device now, also why stop in 13.5 why not 15.5

If you want a XSX where you can play the same games but can load faster will exists is a high end PC when direct
storage is released but will be expensive.

If you want to have more memory in PS5 then be ready to pay a lot more this a business not charity.

The only person who is responsible for have that unreasonable level of expectation is you, you are adult who love this,
also I will love if the games can reach the graphic quality 1:1 to the reality all this in VR running in device of $400 but man.

Is like a fan of the cars want to have car with the design of a mustang, the performance of Tesla S all this with the price of
a toyota yaris.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

With the risk of sound rude, learn to make games so you can start to dev the things you want and then finally you can
understand than the things you want are tantrums and sorry if sounds offensive but since many time before I start
saw your wishes/desires and are out of proportion.

If you think any use of memory/processing power for something aside to a game is a deal breaker then stop of playing
you won't find that in any modern device now, also why stop in 13.5 why not 15.5

If you want a XSX where you can play the same games but can load faster will exists is a high end PC when direct
storage is released but will be expensive.

If you want to have more memory in PS5 then be ready to pay a lot more this a business not charity.

The only person who is responsible for have that unreasonable level of expectation is you, you are adult who love this,
also I will love if the games can reach the graphic quality 1:1 to the reality all this in VR running in device of $400 but man.

Is like a fan of the cars want to have car with the design of a mustang, the performance of Tesla S all this with the price of
a toyota yaris.
I didnt know that you had to have developed games to have expectations. that's like saying you cant criticize a movie because you have never directed a movie, or you cant expect your favorite team to win the championship because you have never played professionally.

You stop at 13.5gb because thats where MS stopped. I dont want Sony giving up precious VRAM for a fucking 4k UI. 1080p is fine. There is barely a 2.5x increase in ram this gen as it is. I dont think it's unreasonable to demand they match their competition. especially since both have 16 gb total so it's not like Sony has to spend more. No one is asking Sony to add more ram. In fact, Sony has already spent less by going with cheaper and slower ram.

And I paid $500 for this device. I am willing to disregard the fact that sony has 18% fewer tflops and 25% fewer ram bandwidth because they have a killer ssd, amazing controller and i/o. But with that extra ssd horsepower comes an added and completely reasonable expectation of getting some bang for your buck. If MS is unable to provide an 18-20% better performance in their games after all that chest thumping over being the most powerful console, would you defend them and criticize people who dare to expect better performance?

You mean it will rumble differently depending on surfaces? Yeah I'm gonna turn that off real quick. Hate rumble. If my eyes and ears ain't enough to tell what's going on in the game then I'm not interested.

My brother loved the rumble so I actually had to remove the rumble pack.
Dude. It's not rumble. The little shaking weights (magnets?) at both ends of the controller are gone. Haptic feedback.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Nothing beats British banter, honestly, we take the jokes dangerously far yet somehow manage to get away with them and we all still laugh haha!

But yeah, your genuinely one of the funniest people on this thread and it's great that you keep everything light hearted and it's refreshing because there's way to many emotional people on these threads!

All right you lot. That is quite enough of that gentle, proper, it’s alright m8 sort of banter. Now back to beating each other’s skulls in to a bloody pulp like good lads.

I swear, you never know what gets into people these days. Next thing you know they’ll be opening doors for people or sheltering the homeless. Terrible.

I didnt know that you had to have developed games to have expectations. that's like saying you cant criticize a movie because you have never directed a movie, or you cant expect your favorite team to win the championship because you have never played professionally.

You stop at 13.5gb because thats where MS stopped. I dont want Sony giving up precious VRAM for a fucking 4k UI. 1080p is fine. There is barely a 2.5x increase in ram this gen as it is. I dont think it's unreasonable to demand they match their competition. especially since both have 16 gb total so it's not like Sony has to spend more. No one is asking Sony to add more ram. In fact, Sony has already spent less by going with cheaper and slower ram.

And I paid $500 for this device. I am willing to disregard the fact that sony has 18% fewer tflops and 25% fewer ram bandwidth because they have a killer ssd, amazing controller and i/o. But with that extra ssd horsepower comes an added and completely reasonable expectation of getting some bang for your buck. If MS is unable to provide an 18-20% better performance in their games after all that chest thumping over being the most powerful console, would you defend them and criticize people who dare to expect better performance?
I like movie as many here also I am amateur photographer who learn first to use a camera than a PC that doesn't mean I think my
judge is relevant in movies likes those done by director Guillermo Toro, Martin Charles Scorsese because my know who is very basic.

The know how? counts a lot when you try to criticize something, that is why even when all of us should has free speech that doesn't
mean our voices are equally relevant or have the same possibility of being true, you don't want base you medical treatment in
what your friend with a speciality in business is telling you just because love to see Dr House.

Do you have a source to be sure also sony is using 13.5 ? and even if is true think as someone in that business why stop in the
same number as the other company, is not like you can change that number with a patch a making your games have more
memory in the future improving the graphics a little more and you know is happened before.

Why stop in 1080p in order to reduce the waste of resources is better if the console just play, better 480p checkboarding to 1080p.

DId you see a game which looks much better in console against the other because I have not seen any comparison yet but you
already complain about something which doesn't exists.

I play in console for the games if not I will stay always in my PC, if you have another console do it is your money, if someone (not you)
who cannot buy more than console and is using energy is complaining about the other console as a way to self-convince the other
console is a bad thing to buy it then that person is wasting energy in a wrong part of her/his life.

That’s not how it works. MS will probably have a 4K UI come launch at no extra cost in alocated RAM. That was an Xbox One X excuse, not a Series X one. Please calm your nerves...

You know, that’s the fucking problem with Teraflops and all this obssession with percentages and stuff. You can’t just look at 18% more TFs and say “oh, Ratchet and Clank looks roughly 18% worse than Halo Infinite”. You’d be talking non sense... What would that mean? Resolution? Effects? Asset streaming?

Full stop obsessing with fucking Teraflops and Gigabytes per second, just stop, dude. You are setting yourself for disappointment the same way Xbox fans are thinking that two extra Teraflops are going to make things impossible on the PS5... It’s just non sense!

Let me tell the real truth, you have to choose those consoles based on games. You’ll have to choose based on what the first parties will do with innovative features on each console.

I still can’t believe this gen is only going to cost $500 and yet you want to set yourself for disappointment.

So about those heat "issues". The hotter the exhaust is, the more heat is being effectively pushed out. Which means the internals themselves should be cooler. Isn't it a good thing that so much heat is pushed out?
first of all I don’t believe there is thermal issues with xsx. But what you said is not entirely true. The internal temperature is always higher than the exhaust. Otherwise what is producing all the heat? The key is to look at the trend. Whether the temperature keep rising, whether the fan gets louder over time are more important indicators.

SlimySnake

That’s not how it works. MS will probably have a 4K UI come launch at no extra cost in alocated RAM. That was an Xbox One X excuse, not a Series X one. Please calm your nerves...

You know, that’s the fucking problem with Teraflops and all this obssession with percentages and stuff. You can’t just look at 18% more TFs and say “oh, Ratchet and Clank looks roughly 18% worse than Halo Infinite”. You’d be talking non sense... What would that mean? Resolution? Effects? Asset streaming?

Full stop obsessing with fucking Teraflops and Gigabytes per second, just stop, dude. You are setting yourself for disappointment the same way Xbox fans are thinking that two extra Teraflops are going to make things impossible on the PS5... It’s just non sense!

Let me tell the real truth, you have to choose those consoles based on games. You’ll have to choose based on what the first parties will do with innovative features on each console.

I still can’t believe this gen is only going to cost $500 and yet you want to set yourself for disappointment.
I am not exactly sure what warranted this passionate post, but I am not sure if I am the guy this should be directed to. All I said was that I dont want over 2.5 GBs dedicated to the OS just to render 4k UI.

This wasnt just an xbox excuse. Mark Cerny told DF that the PS4 Pro needed almost half of a gigabyte of ram just to render the UI at 4k. They actually had an extra gb of ddr ram just for the OS and still had to use an additional 0.5 GB to do the UI in 4k.

While that was ok for the PS4 Pro, we dont know if they have an additional GB of ddr ram this time around. That is what I am hoping for.

As for teraflops, I have no idea where i said all the things you mentioned about teraflops. I am not exactly sure how you got all of that from my post, i never said anything about teraflops making things impossible on the PS5. But teraflops are supposed to manifest in better ingame performance in games. imagine if the PS4 had virtual parity with the xbox one the entire gen with 720p ports in the first few years and 900p third party games in the last half. I suspect everyone would be pretty fucking pissed off about that.

I am not buying an xsx but i hope for the sake of those people who are buying it that they get better framerates or resolutions or just better performance in general.

If asking for basic features like boost modes running your last gen games at better framerates, OS to have a light footprint on the ram and ssd, and having a 5.5 gbps ssd actually provide faster loading times than a 2.4 gbps ssd is setting myself for disappointment then I dont know what to say.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

We would have seen some sort of footage by now especially if it was in the launch window so no way it's in February.

I remember what ZhugeEX said about Sony wanted to focus their showcase and events for the PS5 launch window only so it makes sense that we haven't seen the game yet, my guess is Sony are saving the footage for some time early next year, maybe as a counter for whatever Microsoft will be ready to show. I still expect the game release sometime late next year, to be more specific exactly this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom