• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Luuhhhhdddiiiesss uunnnddd jjjuuuuntttlllmuuuun

We've heard this before but it's interesting to share again nonetheless.

"Sony have added in a Geometry Engine into the PS5 which is custom, it is designed specifically for Sony's workloads, now other GPU's do have geometry processors, this is not new...and I am told by developers and what Mark Cerny is hinting at in the PS5 event is that the Geometry Engine in the PS5 is more advanced than the RDNA 2 geometry handling...btw I am told that the PS5's Geometry Engine is critical for GPU workloads, I was told that one of the big reasons the PS4 especially the Pro sounded like a jet engine was because there was not enough control over the geometry pipeline, basically the GPU was maxing out a lot on useless workloads, so culling and being able to set up advanced work on the GPU was something incredibly important for Sony in the upcoming generation."

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have all the specs and you can't compare theoretical performance across 2 different architectures without actually doing the legwork. You took 1 single metric, and like a simpleton assumed "bigger number = more better".
Be better than this, at the very least let a few multiplat games hit the hands of reviewers so we can then make bold assertions like you have.

Notice I'm not saying the ps5 will have the performance advantage, ok? I'm saying nothing shown SO FAR should give you any confidence in the xsx outperforming the ps5 in ANY aspect.
1 metric? 3 metrics

sircaw

Banned
We've heard this before but it's interesting to share again nonetheless.

"Sony have added in a Geometry Engine into the PS5 which is custom, it is designed specifically for Sony's workloads, now other GPU's do have geometry processors, this is not new...and I am told by developers and what Mark Cerny is hinting at in the PS5 event is that the Geometry Engine in the PS5 is more advanced than the RDNA 2 geometry handling...btw I am told that the PS5's Geometry Engine is critical for GPU workloads, I was told that one of the big reasons the PS4 especially the Pro sounded like a jet engine was because there was not enough control over the geometry pipeline, basically the GPU was maxing out a lot on useless workloads, so culling and being able to set up advanced work on the GPU was something incredibly important for Sony in the upcoming generation."

i will give some of the other lesser technical minds a chance to chat about this and see what they can come up with. I need to reserve my untapped depths of grey matter on more important things. Err, yer that sounds good enough, PRINT. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's on PC tho, such sacrilege cannot be Playstation Mascot.

RashElaborateEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

sircaw

Banned
When it comes to most American sportsmen i don't know many. I would argue that most British people would probably know my list and maybe a few more, unless you follow those sports or live in American

Only the famous ones, Baseball for example, i only know The babe and Mikey mantle

Golf Tiger woods, Greg Norman, Jack Nicklaus,

American gridiron/ poor mans rugby game i don't know anyone, John madden perhaps is that a player or a coach, i only know that name from games.

Boxing, this has many many amazing boxers, maybe the best of any country esp at heavyweight

Tennis Serena Williams, pete Sampres, John McEnroe, arthur ash,

Ice hockey, Wayne gresksky but he could be Canadian.

And lastly is cycling. The big cheat, we all know who that is .

Mr Moose

The video you linked (at around 7 minutes) literally shows frame rate mode nearly pegged at 60, they even mention that tearing and frame drops happen only "very occasional tearing". The frame counter isn't going wild there.
Yeah I think I misread what you were saying (it was the frame rate mode held at 60fps most of the time (no tearing) bit, thinking you meant it doesn't tear in that mode).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There almost certainly will be a load screen in the PS4 version there.
No, it won't. It will have a load screen.
we will see but they are no making two different games here. its the same exact game which will run on both the ps4 and ps5. thats why the game looks practically identical to spiderman ps4. thats why spiderman has the same traversal speed despite what cerny said.

WakeTheWolf

Eh man you can come to your own conclusions. But what we all see is 12TF hype, Veloceraptor goofy marketing names. And the results are Craig ,Dirt 5 with screen tears & Yakuza. No RT games. Not even 1 demo to showcase 12 TF power.Not even a demo. If there's nothing showcased above the 1X then yes this is a suped up 1X. Does 1X pro sound better??

Execs & actual engineers saying RT doesn't matter. Eh man make your own conclusions sir.

Oh you want this dumb proof.Its already over in the multiplat discussion. Its already confirmed that XSX RT patch will be coming in an unknown time frame. The PS5 has full features of those games at launch, fast loading etc,etc As shown to us with capture on PS5 trailers.

If your version looks "worse" & is missing features the other platform has. Your version is not the best. That is XSX.
It cannot win a comparison in those games. It doesn't even have RT to be in the convo.

So right now. PS5 has the better multiplats. That simple.
It's making me consider switching to ps5 despite a massive xbox library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom