• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Looks like people have to play a lot of games at the same time, so they can't bear waiting for games to be moved between SSD and external. For me, who plays two games simultaneously at most and my kid about three, it's perfectly fine.

Yeah that's what my assumption of it was. As long as the speed between the external to the PS5 SSD is fine, then I really don't need to go out buying an expandable SSD (when sony announces which ones are approved). I'm using expandable storage just to store the games. I plan to move a few games at a time on the main drive for both Consoles.

I have a 1TB 3.0 WD specifically for the PS4 right now, so I want to see how that performs with the PS5 before I go nuts on buying another drive. For Xbox, I may get the Seagate. I'll have to think about it.

Last edited:
So, MM is just a free gift?

If PS5 I/O is an engine, Oodle Texture is nitro.
img_0842-jpg.737238

VargasPaPuM

I cry for help. "Help! Help! Buy us before Facebook does!" Sony ignored it.
Sony
Yeah PS5 14 and XSX 86 is

That's the daily one, the 2020 one is a better judge of overall pre-orders:

PS5 #14, XBSX #86
Amazon.com Sony doesn't even make the list

XoaVHhV.jpg

Last edited:

TheGejsza

I get that but the remaster still costs $20. You’re telling me someone who wants the remaster is not going to buy MM?
That aside I do think they should offer the remaster as a $20 upgrade for those who have the original game.

Well... why do you think Remake is gated behind Mile Morales? I guarantee you that most people who does not own PS4 version would buy 20$ Remake instead of 50$ stand-alone DLC.

Dabaus

Banned
Neither Sony nor Nintendo have an uphill battle to gain market share in Japan, and MS couldn't even talk about next gen news on their presentation. Believe me, Sony will get much more attention with those Japanese youtubers hands-on than MS did at TGS.

I say this as a huge PlayStation fan. In leu of Microsoft buying zenimax and holding a conference while sony and nintendo are MIA on their home turf, Microsoft went from laughingstock to serious contender in a week. In a damn week. Sony's silence is deafening, theyre reluctance buy a publisher or even smaller studios like blue point or kojima productions despite being 30 year industry vets shows they dont have what it takes to keep up. Sony have closed more studios then theyve bought. Will i still be getting a ps5? Yes. Do I think sony has what it takes to keep with Microsoft 10 years down the line? Not after this week.

And LOL if they think anybody cares about The SJW of us part 2 updates to make up for everything thats transpired this week.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whilst I agree, you have to see it from a business point of view. Not every PS4 owner will upgrade to next gen, especially given the current economic climate. They can't just cut off all those consumers. I guess Microsoft was right all along and they got a lot of hate for it.

MS got hate for the "REASON" why they said what they said. They said it's anti-consumer to make a game exclusive to a new console. That's silly talk coming from them. Sony is doing their games on a game by game basis. Some are cross -gen and some are PS5 only.

Shio

Sony

98HFXMl.jpg

98HFXMl.jpg
It states new releases..... the XSX was released more recently, a better comparison is something which tracks total counts, not something from the last couple of days.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony

XoaVHhV.jpg
Because they put it in the wrong category apparently. But you need to look at the 2020 list , not the hourly cause PS5 is out of stock for days.

chilichote

Maybe it's NOT a case of PS5 TF being more efficient than XS TF, but instead PS5 being able to push closer to its theoretical max on average than XS. Just throwing that out there.

That's the same^^

Getting more performance from a teraflop means that this teraflop is more efficient than other teraflops. And it doesn't really matter whether you're tweaking the pipeline or the cache, what matters is the result.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No... Microsoft explicitly said that FH4 will be optimized for XSX. Here's a comment directly from the developer themselves. Educate yourself, before discussing a console you know nothing about apparently.

They said the same about Halo Infinite, and we know how that went. They said that Halo Infinite has been built from the ground up to take full advantage of XSX. So I've educated myself enough with their lies, and waiting for only solid proofs.

sinnergy

That's the same^^

Getting more performance from a teraflop means that this teraflop is more efficient than other teraflops. And it doesn't really matter whether you're tweaking the pipeline or the cache, what matters is the result.
But you know 10 PlayStation teraflops are equal to 20 Nvidia Tflops but SERIES X 12 teraflops equal 6 arm TFLOPS with noodles on top.

So as you can tell from my equation PS5 is clearly 500% better as Series X.

Some food for thought.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Wait, did Sony buy Oodle or buy a license? The press releases made it sound like they bought a license. If they bought the actual tech, that's massive.

License for all ps4 and ps5, which is RDO compress + kraken

MS bought BCpack, which is roughly RDO compress + Zlib

So much of a muchness now, if anything ps5 has a small compress advantage as Kraken is slighly better than zlib.

xHunter

Any department

Do you not think it is weird that you cant see the PS5 on any of the game best sellers? Yet on every other major country it is in the top 3? Do you seriously believe it didnt sell at all, while the product page says "not available" since the preorders started?

Anyways, i finally managed to get a preorder on amazon de for the disk version, can finally cancel my series x order, since i dont need it.

geordiemp

Maybe it's NOT a case of PS5 TF being more efficient than XS TF, but instead PS5 being able to push closer to its theoretical max on average than XS. Just throwing that out there.

Its liek having BHP of a car (shaders), and being able to feed it enough fuel for all the shaders is not so easy (caches speed and internal cache bandwidth).

Ps5 will definately feed those CU faster than XSX, the result will be in how the games run in how close they are in real world performance. My guess is they are within 5 %, lets wait and see.

GAF machine

Works with discs? Didn't I just read somewhere earlier tonight that PS5 cannot read CD's?

PS5 cant read CDs... this guy's a fool.

But I doubt, highly highly doubt, that the PS5 will ever accept old PS123 discs and allow users to play the games they already own.

In light of media reports about Jim Ryan saying PS5 is not backwards compatible with PS1, 2 and 3, HipHopGamer’s doubling down didn’t make sense to me initially; but after pondering over the contradiction and giving the spec sheets of PS4/pro and PS5 another glance over to see what was different about their optical drives, something struck me as peculiar. Look at the optical drives for each system...

PS4/pro
Optical Drive:
- BD x6 CAV
- DVD x8 CAV

PS5
Optical Drive:
- Ultra HD Blu-ray (66G/100G) ~10xCAV
- BD-ROM (25G/50G) ~8x CAV
- BD-R/RE (25G/50G) ~8x CAV
- DVD ~3.2x CLV

Doesn’t it seem odd to you that SIE would replace PS4/pro's faster DVD 8x CAV mode with a much slower DVD ~3.2x CLV mode?...

It seems odd to me because PS1 reads CDs at 2x speed in CLV mode only. On top of that, according to some very old posts by two programmers (inpHilltr8r and Falafada (the latter was said to be an SCE programmer)) on another forum, PS2 reads DVDs at 2x speed in CLV mode (in CAV mode PS2 reads DVDs at 4x speed). Here's some of what they had to say about PS2’s drive (note: If you care to read the threads in full, search the following: ‘PS3 vs 360 Drive Speed Question’, the first result that pops up should be from Beyond3D. If you only care to read the programmer posts, jump to pg.4):

"The PS2 drive can operate in either CAV or CLV mode. CAV is faster, but less stable, and only works on one layer of a dual layer disc. We ran the drive in CLV mode, and I don't want to revisit the amount of time I spent laying out the 8GB of data we crammed onto the disc." -- inpHilltr8r

"From what I remember CLV defaults to minimum CAV speed, meaning you get 2xDVD across the whole disc, instead of only inner layer." -- Falafada

And there’s more. What's with the addition of a BD-R/RE ~8x CAV mode for PS5? This also seems odd to me because in the same forum thread a post was made (on pg. 5) by a third programmer who in reply to a forum-goer's assumption that PS3's BD drive was CLV, said:

"Nope, we have an 8x BD-R/RE drive that's P-CAV..." -- archie4oz

As I understand it, P-CAV is a derivative of CAV that can run in both CLV and CAV modes. The drive spins the disc in CAV mode when reading (or writing) near the inner part of the disc, then switches to CLV mode for the outer part of the disc.

On the surface, it appears PS5's optical drive has modes to read PS1, 2 and 3 discs. For me, this lends credence to HHG’s claim. Now here’s the conundrum: HHG said PS5 is backwards compatible with PS1, 2 and 3; Ryan said it isn’t… or so the media says... I interpreted Ryan’s words differently. Before I give my interpretation of them, here’s the half-decent machine translation of the Q&A I read…

-- In the story, I was surprised that PS4 titles are 99% compatible. By the way, is it compatible with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles? --
Ryan We have been building devices with a focus on PS5-specific engineering. Among them, PS4 already has 100 million players, so I thought that I would like to play PS4 titles on PS5 as well, so I introduced PS4 compatibility. While achieving that, we focused on incorporating high-speed SSDs and the new controller "DualSense" in parallel. So, unfortunately, compatibility with them has not been achieved. -- Jim Ryan

My interpretation of Ryan: PS4 compatibility is a PS5-specific ”device”. The high-speed SSD and DualSense are also PS5-specific devices; so unfortunately, PS1, 2 and 3 titles will not be compatible with them (the high-speed SSD and DualSense).

If my interpretation is correct, then HHG will have been proven right about PS1, 2 and 3 backwards compatibility for PS5 working in conjunction with PS Now, and Jim Ryan will have maintained the element of surprise. In any event, Cerny said we’ll find out Soon’y enough:

“we are cloud-gaming pioneers, and our vision should become clear as we head toward launch” -- Mark Cerny

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do I hold a weird position? I find many discussions on this go to the extreme ends of the spectrum, with people saying "fuck old games, I want new console for new games".

In short: I value backwards compatiblity, but not cross gen games that hold back new gen development. I see it as a value-add if someone were to kick ass with new games, and also offer one console for older games on the same device. At the moment, no console fulfils that role in my eyes.

I don't really need older games to be free, enhanced, have trophies added or anything like that. I'd even re-buy them digitally if only they'd get put onto the PStore. Anyone else feel the same, like Sony in particular is leaving a load of money on the table?

For instance: I'd have paid 500+ if there was a PS5 PRO that was the only model to offer PS1-2-3-4 BC.

Nope, It'll be hard to play a PS4 game for me on PS5 without major upgrades, and I don't want to be forced to pay more for the consoles just for some minority that plays outdated games. I'm hopefully getting PS5 Pro day one, not for old games.

ksdixon

In light of media reports about Jim Ryan saying PS5 is not backwards compatible with PS1, 2 and 3, HipHopGamer’s doubling down didn’t make sense to me initially; but after pondering over the contradiction and giving the spec sheets of PS4/pro and PS5 another glance over to see what was different about their optical drives, something struck me as peculiar. Look at the optical drives for each system...

PS4/pro:
- Optical Drive: BD x6 CAV, DVD x8 CAV (read only)

PS5
- Ultra HD Blu-ray (66G/100G) ~10xCAV
- BD-ROM (25G/50G) ~8x CAV
- BD-R/RE (25G/50G) ~8x CAV
- DVD ~3.2x CLV

Doesn’t it seem odd to you that SIE would replace PS4/pro's faster DVD 8x CAV mode with a much slower DVD 3.2x CLV mode?...

It seems odd to me because PS1 reads CDs at 2x speed in CLV mode only. And on top of that, according to some very old posts by two devs (inpHilltr8r and Falafada (the latter is said to be an SCE dev)) on another forum, PS2 reads DVDs at 2x speed in CLV mode (in CAV mode PS2 reads DVDs at 4x speed). Here's some of what they had to say about PS2’s drive...

(note: If you care to read the threads in full, search the following: ‘PS3 vs 360 Drive Speed Question’, the first result that pops up should be from Beyond3D. If you only care to read the dev posts, jump to pg.4)…

"The PS2 drive can operate in either CAV or CLV mode. CAV is faster, but less stable, and only works on one layer of a dual layer disc. We ran the drive in CLV mode, and I don't want to revisit the amount of time I spent laying out the 8GB of data we crammed onto the disc." -- inpHilltr8r

"From what I remember CLV defaults to minimum CAV speed, meaning you get 2xDVD across the whole disc, instead of only inner layer." -- Falafada

And there’s more. What's with the addition of a BD-R/RE ~8x CAV mode for PS5? This also seems odd to me because in the same forum thread a post was made (on pg. 5) by a third dev who in reply to a forum-goer's assumption that PS3's BD drive was CLV, said...

"Nope, we have an 8x BD-R/RE drive that's P-CAV..." -- archie4oz

As I’ve come to understand, P-CAV is a derivative of CAV that can run in both CLV and CAV modes. The drive spins the disc in CAV mode when reading (or writing) near the inner part of the disc, then switches to CLV for the outer part of the disc.

On the surface, it appears PS5's optical drive has modes to read PS1, 2 and 3 discs. For me, this lends credence to HHG’s claim. Now here’s the conundrum: HHG said PS5 is backwards compatible with PS1, 2 and 3; Ryan said it isn’t… or so the media says…

I interpreted Ryan’s words to differently. Before I get into it, here’s the half-decent machine translation of the Q&A I read…

-- In the story, I was surprised that PS4 titles are 99% compatible. By the way, is it compatible with PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles? -- Famitsu
Ryan We have been building devices with a focus on PS5-specific engineering. Among them, PS4 already has 100 million players, so I thought that I would like to play PS4 titles on PS5 as well, so I introduced PS4 compatibility. While achieving that, we focused on incorporating high-speed SSDs and the new controller "DualSense" in parallel. So, unfortunately, compatibility with them has not been achieved. -- Jim Ryan

My interpretation of Ryan: PS4 compatibility is a PS5-specific ”device”. The high-speed SSD and DualSense are also PS5-specific devices; so unfortunately, PS1, 2 and 3 titles will not be compatible with them (the high-speed SSD and DualSense).

If my interpretation is correct, then HHG will have been proven right about PS1, 2 and 3 backwards compatibility for PS5 working in conjunction with PS Now, and Jim Ryan will have maintained the element of surprise. In any event, we’ll find Soon’y enough…

“we are cloud-gaming pioneers, and our vision should become clear as we head toward launch” -- Mark Cerny

You beautiful, faith restoring, bastard. If I had the money i'd gold you. We can only hope that you're correct. BC itself would go some way towards restoring Jim Ryan off my shitlist as well.

AeneaGames

Fallout 4 made ~3.00.000 sales during launch period on ps4s , when there where ~40million ps4s already sold.
Lets say StarField launches next holidays.
You'd be looking at 10-15million ps5s , and with the ratio of ps4 sales that would be 800.000 to 1.200.000 copies, meaning sales $50mil to $80mil gross, a.k.a PEANUTS
Nadella will probably decapitate anyone that fool inside microsoft to make such a STUPID suggestion, even if figures were quadrupled

Hmm, let's look at this for funsies.

First of you say it would be stupid if they released Starfield on PS5 since it won't make them enough money?
Wouldn't that mean that any publisher out there would be stupid to release games on PS5? Because the numbers would be the same, no?

Anyway, secondly, how much will they earn from the Xbox and PC sales then? Oh wait, going by the numbers their will be less XSX sold by then. Besides it will be on GamePass, hmm, no extra income at all then since its doubtful it will make sure more people subscribe. Perhaps a few, sure, not enough to get to $100 million

Third, Sony is producing 11m consoles upto March, at end of 2021 they will have more units sold than your lowball number.

Fourth, why not take lifetime sales into account or will the game under MS' direction be so bad that no one will buy it after release?

FYI, Fallout 4 sold almost 14m copies until recently. Of those almost 4m are on pc. That means 10m on consoles, care to take a stab how many on PS4?

Also I highly doubt that Starfield, the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls VI will release next year already, those are years of knowing Bethesda...

Zoro7

Banned
Well... why do you think Remake is gated behind Mile Morales? I guarantee you that most people who does not own PS4 version would buy 20$ Remake instead of 50$ stand-alone DLC.
Like I said I don't agree with it. But I also don't think people would buy a remake over MM. I think 90% would buy both.

3liteDragon

Wait, did Sony buy Oodle or buy a license? The press releases made it sound like they bought a license. If they bought the actual tech, that's massive.
They just bought a license from them, it's actually included with PS4 and PS5's SDK's. So every developer who has access to both consoles' latest software development kit versions has access to RAD's Kraken compression tools.

Last edited:

chilichote

But you know 10 PlayStation teraflops are equal to 20 Nvidia Tflops but SERIES X 12 teraflops equal 6 arm TFLOPS with noodles on top.

So as you can tell from my equation PS5 is clearly 500% better as Series X.

Some food for thought.
Nobody said that 🤷‍♀️

But the fact is that efficiency plays a major role and not just the calculation of a number that has little to do with the demands that games have.

VargasPaPuM

License for all ps4 and ps5, which is RDO compress + kraken

MS bought BCpack, which is roughly RDO compress + Zlib

So much of a muchness now, if anything ps5 has a small compress advantage as Kraken is slighly better than zlib.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

That's the daily one, the 2020 one is a better judge of overall pre-orders:

PS5 #14, XBSX #86

You can do this with every Amazon store, if you know the country URL abbreviation after the second dot. Here's the UK's equivalent:

Ps5 at 9. XSX at 47.

EDIT: Here's Australia:

Ps5 at 12. XSX at 94.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom