• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

"He added: “But what doesn’t fall flat is that for some of these premium games, if the $10 increase was implemented, people would happily pay it. They might grumble about it, but they would certainly pay it."

I swear, these analysts... Using "happily pay it" and "grumble about it" in the same paragraph, kind of makes me wonder if he's good at his job? Cause at least when trying to communicate something, he's a mess.
More and more PS games are perceived as premium, just like that comparison about basic cable and HBO made by Geoff Keghley. Sony knows that and is experimenting accordingly. If game sales numbers remain the same as this gen or get even better, it's green light for that price point.

LucidFlux

so you really think a 36 CU 10.28TF unit will be "more performant" than a 52 CU 12.15TF unit

tenor.gif

Hmmm I clearly didn't say that. Please let's just entertain leaving our personal wants and bias out of this and objectively look at the technical matters.

I was speaking about PS5 vs stock RDNA 2. The PS5 has architectural improvements (cache scrubbers) which will make it more performant against an otherwise equivalent AMD RDNA 2 GPU.

We don't know how much performance and efficiency this brings over stock RDNA 2. We can infer it's greater than 0 otherwise why the hell bother. Right?

How this compares to the GPU in the XsX is still to be seen. Yes?

BTW Beverly Hills Cop is one of if not the greatest action comedy of all time! :messenger_heart:

yewles1

This comparison is correct, but what I think @PaintTinJr was getting at is 1 teraflop of Series X ≠ 1 teraflop of PS5. Yes they are both based on RDNA 2 ( which is more performant per TF compared 1:1 with GCN)

To pull another of Cerny's quotes from that presentation:

“If the ideas are sufficiently specific to what we are trying to accomplish, like the GPU cache scrubbers I was talking about, then they end up being just for us. “
-Mark Cerny

Now what does this translate to in the real world? This obviously doesn't effect the TF calculation, but does however increase the performance and efficiency of the GPU as a whole. Meaning that a PS5 TF will be more performant than a standard RDNA 2 TF.

How much more remains to be seen but this is an architectural change from base RDNA 2 that XsX does not have.
Maybe it's NOT a case of PS5 TF being more efficient than XS TF, but instead PS5 being able to push closer to its theoretical max on average than XS. Just throwing that out there.

T-Cake

Maybe it's NOT a case of PS5 TF being more efficient than XS TF, but instead PS5 being able to push closer to its theoretical max on average than XS. Just throwing that out there.

This is my theory as well. What if the new GDK (Game Development Kit) on Xbox is not as efficient at maxing out the hardware (because it has a single code base for PC, Xbox Series, Xbox One) whereas the PS5 SDK is just for a single console spec.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I mean you do have to buy MM, but you get a game for that. Its not like the whole $70 gets you only Spiderman remaster.
Also you can buy the PS4 version of MM and buy the remaster for $20.
So your original post was wrong, its not $70 for a remaster.
The remaster is 20$ yes. The twist is it cannot be purchased separately, doesn't change the fact that it's 20$ and the PS4 version is still available anyway.

ksdixon

I'm just going to say it. Whilst I fully believe in Mark Cerny and PS5's ssd performance, the various business decisions and comments made by Jim Ryan has eroded much of my confidence in PS5 to do the logical thing(s). I've hedged my bets and also preordered an XBSX. I still expect PS5 to be my main console, but I was never interested in an XBSX until Jim's BS started to pile ontop of itself on a weekly basis.

Faithless83

Banned
so you really think a 36 CU 10.28TF unit will be "more performant" than a 52 CU 12.15TF unit

tenor.gif
Out of many of your posts, this one will definitely not age well.

You are not considering the Geometry Engine and how it differs from the MS solution, also the I/O advantage.
Less things to process = better performance.
Having a better I/O, enables you to process more things "on the fly", making the SSD data closer to the GPU.
So this ends up wasting less RAM and saving more processing power.

We'll see more and more of the "process only what the eyes can see" discussion and the I/O brings a huge advantage this time.

LucidFlux

Well TF have never had a one to one correlation with game performance, but if you are looking strictly at performance per TF then I do think PS5 will have a higher ratio (this should bring overall performance of the GPU closer to XsX but how much closer is yet to be seen). So whether you call it being more efficient per TF or pushing closer to its theoretical max is just semantics. I do however think PS5 will be more efficient in terms of memory usage due to faster caches, and the I/O system as a whole allowing much more flexibility with what needs to be stored in RAM at any given point in time.

Neo Blaster

Its blowing me away that out of all the companies Microsoft, not sony or nintendo are walking away from TGS looking winners. With threats of a sega buyout and God knows what else.
Neither Sony nor Nintendo have an uphill battle to gain market share in Japan, and MS couldn't even talk about next gen news on their presentation. Believe me, Sony will get much more attention with those Japanese youtubers hands-on than MS did at TGS.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

I mean you do have to buy MM, but you get a game for that. Its not like the whole $70 gets you only Spiderman remaster.
Also you can buy the PS4 version of MM and buy the remaster for $20.
So your original post was wrong, its not $70 for a remaster.

Dude... there is no other way to obtain Spider Man Remaster thany buy 70$ bundle. Still you get MM in it but that does not make Spider Man Remaster 20$. If you want SM:Remaster you need to pay 70$. So it cost 70$.

Shio

Out of many of your posts, this one will definitely not age well.

You are not considering the Geometry Engine and how it differs from the MS solution, also the I/O advantage.
Less things to process = better performance.
Having a better I/O, enables you to process more things "on the fly", making the SSD data closer to the GPU.
So this ends up wasting less RAM and saving more processing power.

We'll see more and more of the "process only what the eyes can see" discussion and the I/O brings a huge advantage this time.
I think we will see when when we are able to compare the first big PS5 release game vs the first big Big released XSX game or the first real DF third party comparison..

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
He says fh4 could easily have RT, because Spider-Man also has it as upgrade .
Lol, just not comparable. Miles morales is build on too of spider man. So all updates they were already doing for miles morales. FH4 is also just using PC assets and tuning them a bit

Zoro7

Banned
Dude... there is no other way to obtain Spider Man Remaster thany buy 70$ bundle. Still you get MM in it but that does not make Spider Man Remaster 20$. If you want SM:Remaster you need to pay 70$. So it cost 70$.
I get that but the remaster still costs $20. You’re telling me someone who wants the remaster is not going to buy MM?
That aside I do think they should offer the remaster as a $20 upgrade for those who have the original game.

Neo Blaster

So is the real purpose on getting expandable storage (besides storing games on it) to play next-gen games off it? I am looking at external 3.1 drives and obviously they're more affordable.

I'd most likely have any games I want to immediately play moved to the main drives, and anything else on the external. Just trying to see the real benefit here.
Looks like people have to play a lot of games at the same time, so they can't bear waiting for games to be moved between SSD and external. For me, who plays two games simultaneously at most and my kid about three, it's perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom