• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anchovie123

EB games can eat a bag of baby chodes

Holy fuck if this is the final price this is horrible. The Samsung 980 Pro 1TB costs the same and that SSD is 7gb/sec
E0GYKxE.png

Aus Price*

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Dwelling on the the zenimax purchase, do you think Microsoft made this move because they caught wind of an acquisition from either Sony or another company trying to get into gaming?

Another thought I had is that going off of shipment numbers and potential first year sales, Sony could really build a sizable advantage. Do you think if the sales split is 12-15 million Ps5s sold vs 6-7 Xbox’s sold that Microsoft would ignore the Ps5 sales and limit their zenimax games to the smallWe installed base? What if by 2021 were looking at 20 million Ps5s to Xbox 8-10 million? Would share holders even allow the Xbox division to ignore PlayStation at that point? Who knows.

Final thought is this, we dont know if Microsoft is really going to keep these Bethesda games off Ps5, especially if Ps5s installed base is too big too ignore. That’s an unknown. I would assume, and this is an assumption on my part, but there’s no way Sony doesn’t make some big moves of their own. We’ll have to see what happens.

Last edited:
The no LODs thing is from the UE5 demo right? Nanite? Thats Epic's proprietary tech.

No.Its most likely Sony tech. They "collaborated" for years.That whole UE5 demo was a Sony show imo. Look at the plugin section that fits into unreal 4 .Sony owns the company below.

Everything in that video stinks of UE5 & PS5 right? Replace "Atoms" with "Nanite"

That's $254.41!

We will be paying similar for Sony version no doubt. I know I will only be buying Sony version. Not touching 3rd party stuff.

Last edited:

aclar00

Quick question

How will Gamepass handle microtransactions and DLC? Will the games be released once all DLC or seasons ( or whatever its called nowadays) are released for a game, or would you have to buy them separately or would they just be added to gamepass upon release? Guess this is more of a question for day 1 titles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No.Its most likely Sony tech. They "collaborated" for years.That whole UE5 demo was a Sony show imo. Look at the plugin section that fits into unreal 4 .Sony owns the company below.

Everything in that video stinks of UE5 & PS5 right?

Yup, as said before, it's the other way around. And that company has been bought by Sony in 2017, I think.

People need to understand that a GIANT called Sony Pictures, along with their Imageworks that has a huge library of Hollywood assets, are complimenting SIE.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Nanite, yes. You can name it whatever you like, but it's native in PS5: timestamped

"It's a brand new capability". Damn, this video keeps on giving. Primitive Shaders are game changer.

No, Primitive Shaders are not Nanite. Primitive Shaders are patented AMD technology, Nanite is virtualised geometery created in software within Unreal Engine 5. Nanite will work on Xbox Series X, or PC, or PS4, etc., because its implemented at the engine level. Primitive Shaders won't, because its a hardware feature set.
For Xbox, Microsoft use Mesh Shaders in DX12, and they can operate in either hardware or software.

Mahavastu

Dwelling on the the zenimax purchase, do you think Microsoft made this move because they caught wind of an acquisition from either Sony or another company trying to get into gaming?
Before the Bethesda announcement it looked like Microsoft gave up the next generation before it even started.
If they wanted to keep XBox and Gamepass a viable option in the long term they needed to do something. The Bethesda purchase was a power move with large potential.

Another thought I had is that going off of shipment numbers and potential first year sales, Sony could really build a sizable advantage. Do you think if the sales split is 12-15 million Ps5s sold vs 6-7 Xbox’s sold that Microsoft would ignore the Ps5 sales and limit their zenimax games to the smallWe installed base? What if by 2021 were looking at 20 million Ps5s to Xbox 8-10 million? Would share holders even allow the Xbox division to ignore PlayStation at that point? Who knows.
look how much money Sony leaves on the table by not releasing their games on PC or XBox. They could probably double their revenue by selling on PC/XBox too.
But they understood that exklusives sell systems and that large numbers of sold and running Playstations are better for the long term income than earning a few more bucks short term by selling some more copies of the games.

Consider the Microsoft 1st party games (including betheda and id Software) as "not going to playstation" from now on.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I still wonder what the heck would happen to our digital game libraries if Xbox did shut up shop. It's not going to happen in my lifetime, I hope. 😂
Microsoft would still keep their App Store alive, and you do not need more then this.
The customer could still get the games for windows.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No, Primitive Shaders are not Nanite. Primitive Shaders are patented AMD technology, Nanite is virtualised geometery created in software within Unreal Engine 5. Nanite will work on Xbox Series X, or PC, or PS4, etc., because its implemented at the engine level. Primitive Shaders won't, because its a hardware feature set.
For Xbox, Microsoft use Mesh Shaders in DX12, and they can operate in either hardware or software.

I know that Primitive Shaders is hardware-based, nanite is software-based. Of course, hardware-based is always better, as software would take advantage of it much better. Thanks for the other details. (y)

Before the Bethesda announcement it looked like Microsoft gave up the next generation before it even started.
If they wanted to keep XBox and Gamepass a viable option in the long term they needed to do something. The Bethesda purchase was a power move with large potential.

look how much money Sony leaves on the table by not releasing their games on PC or XBox. They could probably double their revenue by selling on PC/XBox too.
But they understood that exklusives sell systems and that large numbers of sold and running Playstations are better for the long term income than earning a few more bucks short term by selling some more copies of the games.

Consider the Microsoft 1st party games (including betheda and id Software) as "not going to playstation" from now on.
I'd like to add people are forgetting a certain company here...

Google. Stadia.

The purchase of Bethesda may sting Sony, but it's a dagger in the heart for Stadia.

Nowcry

Nanite or any developed micro-polygon system have in common the need for large bandwidths for textures.

What Bo means is that PS works very well with that system due to its internal architecture and even if Bo doesn't remember it. PS5 has one advantage, Primive Shaders is that it works very well with VRS by saving certain textures before it goes into the pipe and not just in the rendering step.

This, together with what has been said about nanite, will provide a great improvement in the administration of the IO and the VRAM.

PS: The disappearance of the LOD has to do with the management of RAM thanks to the IO controller. Either in micro polygons or in the traditional system. In micro polygons it is totally imperceptible thanks to the intermediate rasterization by software and in the traditional one it will be more perceptible but much less than what we are used to.

I hope the translator does the job well.

Final thought is this, we dont know if Microsoft is really going to keep these Bethesda games off Ps5, especially if Ps5s installed base is too big too ignore. That’s an unknown. I would assume, and this is an assumption on my part, but there’s no way Sony doesn’t make some big moves of their own. We’ll have to see what happens.
lets do some simplified math together:
fallout 4 had around 8mil sales total at its launch period. PC sales account to ~2/5
now, ps4-xbox initial split was 58-42 at first, while consoles sold were 36m-18m, so with 200% more ps4s consoles sold compared to xboxes.
that means that in the period that there where 36m-40m ps4s sold, fallout sales where 3million or less. so definitely less than 10% of total ps users.

lets take your best case scenario, when next bethesda game launches there will be 12-15 mill ps5s sold.
that would mean less than 1-1.5m sales, which in dollars means up to ~$70 to ~$100mil.

Why on earth would you gimp a $7.5billlion investement on the first release to grab at best case scenario ~$100mil?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I disagree. I don't have the expectation of getting a remastered version of the game for free. Your old game will still run on PS5 and probably get a slight bump in performance. They are putting more work into the product and using new assets. With the cost to produce a AAA title like Spiderman, I'm glad to give the studio a bit of extra revenue. I purchased TLOU remaster day 1.
You totally missed the point. I'm not saying the upgrade should be free, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be forced to buy another game(MM) to be entilted to upgrade Spiderman PS4. They should offer an option without needing to buy MM.

Holy fuck if this is the final price this is horrible. The Samsung 980 Pro 1TB costs the same and that SSD is 7gb/sec
E0GYKxE.png

Aus Price*
It’s technically not a bad price for that size ...I preordered it anyway as I’m guessing people are gonna realise pretty quick they are gonna run out of space with 100-250 gig games dropping

I’m dreading the ps5 prices with out lovely aus tax

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk of game engine technology reminded me to post this. Matt Hargett (former PS5 engineer) and Bob Duffy (crazy software dude) will be on RedGamingTech's podcast discussing all this stuff. Pumped for this! Should be released within the next 2-3 days I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
One of the few YouTubers that are capable of having a conversation with engineers... love to see him doing great
Yes exactly, it's actually great for many reasons, especially for us console/hardware enthusiasts because we get these awesome people like Matt Hargett and other industry veterans discuss and provide insight on these kind of technologies including next-gen stuff!

kyliethicc

It’s technically not a bad price for that size ...I preordered it anyway as I’m guessing people are gonna realise pretty quick they are gonna run out of space with 100-250 gig games dropping

I’m dreading the ps5 prices with out lovely aus tax
Its the same price as brand new Samsung Gen4 M.2 drive that is 3x faster, has a 2 year longer warranty, and is the same size.

Last edited:

Joey.

Just thinking out loud and its probably been mentioned 1000x now but...what do you think the odds are that MS still releases Bethesda titles onto PS5 (i.e. starfield, ES6, etc) but then puts them on the Xbox via GamePass so its still advantage to Xbox really. Huge get for Xbox and huge get for GamePass subscribers.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk of game engine technology reminded me to post this. Matt Hargett (former PS5 engineer) and Bob Duffy (crazy software dude) will be on RedGamingTech's podcast discussing all this stuff. Pumped for this! Should be released within the next 2-3 days I think.

Man how did this post even warrant a "LOL"?? Doncabesa Doncabesa

jDfN22U.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking out loud and its probably been mentioned 1000x now but...what do you think the odds are that MS still releases Bethesda titles onto PS5 (i.e. starfield, ES6, etc) but then puts them on the Xbox via GamePass so its still advantage to Xbox really. Huge get for Xbox and huge get for GamePass subscribers.

MS will do their due diligence to see how they can maximize their investment. If they feel the need to keep it exclusive to PC/Xbox to grow their ecosystem, they'll do that. If they feel they can charge $60 on PS5 and still attract new consumers over to gamepass, they'll do that as well.

I can't even imagine it will be a Minecraft situation but who knows really.

Man did this post even warrant a "LOL"?? Doncabesa Doncabesa

jDfN22U.jpg

The ribbing of Doncabesa in this thread will never get old :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom