• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched demon souls on my C9 and GOD
it looks stunning at 4K 60 FPS and that environment geometry.
Definitely most visible upgrade over current generation we have seen.
I envy you, I just have a neat 1080p 85" screen and dear lord Demon's souls Remake trailer at 4K60fps showed me this is how games should/would look when you step into a new generation. You know that feeling you get when your eyes are getting a glimpse at visuals like never before seen on a brand new generation.

kyliethicc

As to Jimmy Sony saying they'll continue to support the PS4 for 3-4 years, this is standard business for a high selling console.

Sony in an investor meeting a while back said the PS4 will remain the engine of profitability and engagement or something like that. Basically its the super profitable console. Costs are low, tons of users, lots of software sales.

It does not mean PS5 will only get cross gen games. Here's how I think Sony's games are/will be:

PS4/PS5
Spider-Miles (predictable)
Horizon 2 (sucks ass)
Sackboy (predictable)
The Last of Us 2 multiplayer (predictable)
MLB The Show 21/22... (predictable)

50/50 chance of cross gen - Gran Turismo 7 (idk yet)

PS5
God of War Ragnarok
Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Destruction Allstars
Spider-Man 2 (likely fall 2022)
new Uncharted game (if real)
Sony Bend's next game (Days gone 2?)
Guerrilla's other game (SOCOM?)
Naughty Dog's next game
etc

Plenty of next gen exclusives.

I bet Sony's original plan was to have Horizon 2 out this year as a PS4 game. Lots of Guerrilla devs worked on Death Stranding, which could have delayed HFW. I suspect they wanted TLOU2 out in February, Ghost in May, and Horizon to be out by September or so. Clearly its a bit behind and got pushed onto cross gen. The PS3 got GT6 after PS4, and PS2 got GoW2 after PS3. Delays happen & cause overlap.

It kills my next gen hype for the game. But now I just add it to the list of great PS4 games, right alongside Ghost and TLOU2, and many more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So no spec boost and the standard edition power draw 350w, digital edition 340w...🤔
Doesn't the XSX draw 300w?
Doesn't that have to do with the frequencies of the GPU? The higher the clocks, the more power you need?

LiquidRex

Doesn't that have to do with the frequencies of the GPU? The higher the clocks, the more power you need?
Probably, but I thought the XSX die is bigger and more CU's to feed. 🤔
Unless of course the PS5 can drop to 300w when underloaded including BC 🤔

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So no spec boost and the standard edition power draw 350w, digital edition 340w...🤔
Doesn't the XSX draw 300w?
I think that's just the rating not what it will do (probably).
Where does the Series X wattage come from?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the new console move beyond 300W
This?

LiquidRex

i suspect the new god of war will be cross-gen.

Arguably Sony's most prestigious game now and 100 million people still on ps4, it kinda makes sense from a business perspective.
I don't know if I'm comfortable with a new GOW but with next gen features tacked on... I would want devs to build the game from the ground up with the PS5 IO as the foundation, and thus impossible to run on the PS4... 🤔

sircaw

Banned
I don't know if I'm comfortable with a new GOW but with next gen features tacked on... I would want devs to build the game from the ground up with the PS5 IO as the foundation, and thus impossible to run on the PS4... 🤔

I hear ya m8, i am just not sure its the route Sony is thinking about.

Sony has probably planned this out for the next 10 years, there is probably a sequel already in the planning for after this next new god of war, at least the writing i imagine.

That's when i suspect we will see a fully-fledged ps5 god of war game.

It's just to much money to pass up.

In five, six years there will probably be 70+ million ps5 users, sony wont care about the ps4 then.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
That would be a huge missed opportunity to drive sales to PS5 next holliday

Honestly i don't think that's how sony sees it in the short run, that ps4 base is massive, they can not afford to isolate it to quickly until people have fully migrated across.

The new god of war is mighty close, i will say i was shocked that it was 2021 release, i was like really, that's way to soon. if it was coming out in 3-4 years then 100% ps5, its just to soon + that user base, u need to take advantage of it.

I could be wrong, its just the way i see it.

LiquidRex

I hear ya m8, i am just not sure its the route Sony is thinking about.

Sony has probably planned this out for the next 10 years, there is probably a sequel already in the planning for after this next new god of war, at least the writing i imagine.

That's when i suspect we will see a fully-fledged ps5 god of war game.

It's just to much money to pass up.

In five, six years there will probably be 70+ million ps5 users, sony wong care about the ps4 then.
It's just a damn shame Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West will it looks like have next gen features added just for the sake of it, while the True potential of the console will go to waste in the meantime 🤔

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
Optical DriveUltra HD Blu-ray (66G/100G) ~10xCAVBD-ROM (25G/50G) ~8xCAVBD-R/RE (25G/50G) ~8xCAVDVD ~3.2xCLV
Based on what has been said before, we have been informing ourselves and "it seems" that 4-layer BDXL will not be used. Only 3 layers. Data that, as I said before, surprise me. Rare, being something known since 2018.

Sony-Blu-Ray-BDXL-128GB.jpg

We will have to be attentive to this. I'll tell you if the facts are clarified further.

Falc67

Which games are everyone going with for launch? I'm 100% in on Spiderman MM (possibly Ultimate to replay the 1st game with all the extras), about 90% on Destruction All Stars (but I'd like to see more gameplay on this one). Plus I'll have Cyberpunk coming as well.

If I wasn't a fan of Bloodborne (I didn't care for the control scheme) and haven't played any of the other Souls games, is it worth a shot for me to try Demons Souls? I suppose I could always see if its on PS Now and try it there.

Miles Morales/Ultimate Edition and maybe Souls. Need to rewatch that again.

DaGwaphics

Nice, wonder if there will be a power brick. Sony has been good about not having them. Also, im not seeing the PSVR connector, unless one of those USB ports is it and i just cant tell the diff.. wonder if there will be an adapter if not on the back.

This thing is huge by volume, I don't see how they couldn't find the space to put a PSU in there. Glances over at X1 VCR...oops.

ZippDude

Quick question...if I get digital PS5, for those games getting PS4 to PS5 upgrade for free would i get the upgrade if the PS4 version i buy is digital? (Particular games im asking for are TLOU2 and GoT)

DaGwaphics

Yeah, I just don't understand this. So we have the "opportunity" to be "one of the first" to order it...a FULL DAY after pre-orders begin at places like Amazon? WTF is that? How does that make us one of the first? Also, are they shipping to your door so you have the PS5 on November 12th? Even their FAQ doesn't say. A lot of questions with this. Almost makes me think there was some other plan that they changed and they forgot to change THIS part. I'm just confused. I guess I'll order from Amazon this time since they can get it to my door that day.... pending finding out other information about THIS.

This might have been a very bad idea that Sony lost faith in at the last minute (smartly). There may have been a plan to handle pre-orders in house and then move to retail, that would have been catastrophic to some business relationships to be sure.

sircaw

Banned
It's just a damn shame Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West will it looks like have next gen features added just for the sake of it, while the True potential of the console will go to waste in the meantime 🤔

I can see people's arguments on that and i can 100% agree/ see where they are coming from.

I guess i am kinda lucky in some ways, i really like older/retro games a lot, i spent a lot of time playing the old dooms and duke nukems, so graphics are not to important to me.

going to love playing those games regardless of how they look.

from a technical side, i understand there will be restrictions, but fact is all i care about is having faster loading, that demon souls portal is simply amazing if they can take advantage of those kinda things, fast loading on ps5 in spiderman and hzd2, i am super happy.

Zero issues for me.

i suspect the new god of war will be cross-gen.

Arguably Sony's most prestigious game now and 100 million people still on ps4, it kinda makes sense from a business perspective.

Depends whether the business strategy is to get more people on PS5. If it is and they feel that, by releasing the game on that platform only, it will increase sales of PS5 (and in turn additional profit down the line) that's what they'd do. Alternatively if they feel they can make more money by releasing on more than PS5 (e.g. PC) and not errode their brand (even enhance it) then they'll do that.

sircaw

Banned
Depends whether the business strategy is to get more people on PS5. If it is and they feel that, by releasing the game on that platform only, it will increase sales of PS5 (and in turn additional profit down the line) that's what they'd do. Alternatively if they feel they can make more money by releasing on more than PS5 (e.g. PC) and not errode their brand (even enhance it) then they'll do that.

Could be, or they could just be thinking we are going to sell 120 million consoles regardless of what we do. that sounds a bit arrogant i know, but they are the market leaders and all, and have the games to back it up.

The ps5 price is simply breathing taking for the kit you get, its going to keep selling over time, no doubt about it.

Sony could be playing a totally different game here, just keep turning over the numbers and roll on.

DaGwaphics

$399 PS5 has ruined MS entire plans for next gen. They need to slash XSS to $150 asap

LOL, hardly. There is no way that MS wasn't expecting a $399 PS5 from the very beginning. The target market for the XSS isn't reading this forum or looking at the underlying specs that closely, they want to play a lot of the esports titles and have heard that there are new boxes that can offer higher fps, and one of them is $299. Another group of buyers is thinking, I can pay $25/mo. and get a new console and hundreds of games from a library that rotates content.

Looking at the all access numbers, it doesn't seem like MS has an issue with selling the XSS at $250, so that price cut might happen at some point (maybe next holiday), but $150 doesn't seem realistic at all.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Honestly i don't think that's how sony sees it in the short run, that ps4 base is massive, they can not afford to isolate it to quickly until people have fully migrated across.

The new god of war is mighty close, i will say i was shocked that it was 2021 release, i was like really, that's way to soon. if it was coming out in 3-4 years then 100% ps5, its just to soon + that user base, u need to take advantage of it.

I could be wrong, its just the way i see it.
Software at this point won't boost ps4 sales significantly. And Nintendo has proven that coming out with games early in the gen can get them sustained sales as the console grows. Honestly they should just start keeping their software prices high since Nintendo has proven people don't mind

particleparade

Neo Member
"So I think it's safe to say, we'll let you know when pre-orders will happen. It's not going to happen with a minute's notice. We're going to at some point let you know when you can pre-order a PlayStation 5 so please don't feel like you have to go run and line up anywhere until you receive official notice on how that will work." Great communication by Sony leading up to launch.

MDSLKTR

So much was off with that show:
-Not being able to watch it on ps4 like the previous event
-Not having an "available at launch" attached with the DS trailer, would have broke the reactions. Especially with how good it looked
-The DS pc fuck up
-The PC part for FF16, this is a show for playstation enthusiasts.. leave it for a blog or for whenever year it comes out like FF7 and 15...
-The bad surprises in the blog, dishonest af after the messaging we had over the year

Otherwise it was a great showing, maybe even their best in years. 399, no indies, perfect short gameplay demos, big opener and closer. Day 1 and my ps4 pro is going tf out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom