• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBiddy

There is nothing unreasonable suggesting they are behind with first party development looking at the Series X launch line up.

Correct. Your reasoning why, though, is guesswork.

"Otherwise their studios would be truly screwed having to port games across XsX, XsS, XB1, XB1X and PC. Looking at that, we've found the reason they're so behind with their games."

PC's can be
PC much better
that PC, which can brute force everything
because PC's are going to brute force
Everyone knows how the PC works, everyone knows what to expect in the next couple of years from the PC market. But no, another PC clown decided to declare that the PC exists. Go already rub your appendages on your new RTX-cards, there are themes for this. But here is not about the PC will win all. GTFO.
giphy.gif

Jon Neu

Banned
Average. Look up Steam hardware. Be angry at the majority of your PC master race players.

Again, nobody disputs the claim that most PC's are weak. What I'm telling you is that if your theory of PC's holding back console games is true (it's a stupid theory, but let's entertain it for the sake of the argument), the PC's users are only going to laugh about those console videogames being worse while they can play the same videogames at much better settings and with much better perfomance.

Jon Neu

Banned
Everyone knows how the PC works, everyone knows what to expect in the next couple of years from the PC market. But no, another PC clown decided to declare that the PC exists. Go already rub your appendages on your new RTX-cards, there are themes for this. But here is not about the PC will win all. GTFO.
giphy.gif

-Some Sony fanboy in a thread brings PC to the discussion with lies and tries to claim superiority of the PS5, gets likes from other Sony fanboys.

-Other users that aren't Sony fanboys see those claims and respond to them

-The Sony fanboys: OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU HERE, SHUT UP!!!1!

Shmunter

PC hardware won't be cheapening out, and relying on unified ram! Lol that's definitely a hot take, if I've ever seen one. We wouldn't have DDR4 out, or DDR5 shortly after if unified ram would be a thing for PC. There have been several years for that to transition, but instead were getting faster and faster ram being mass produced.

Cost effective shortcuts don't make for a better solution. That only occurs when it boils down to budget and cost savings alone. Nothing else.

Holy shit, I've read it all now man. There are some people suffering from PTSD from Nvidia's reveal, and you can just tell by how hard they project. If I ever were jealous or scared of another platform, I would keep it to myself than speak up and let the world see my fear.
Just because it's 'PC' doesn't mean it's optimal. The basic summary of what I wrote just goes over your head because it's not flattering to PC architecture?

It's common knowledge and basic logic that having access to all data within a system by all components is streamlined and efficient. And in no way does it mean ram needs to be slow. Indeed consoles are 100% vram even for CPU usage.

Here's a google result on the topic...

UNIFIED MEMORY: THE FINAL PIECE OF THE GPU PROGRAMMING PUZZLE

First of all, new iPhones release in less than a month. Not in the smack middle of November.

Second, I don't know if you are oblivious of the situation or what, but the US is a powder keg in a way it never was since possibly the civil war. The country is incredibly polarized down to the very base, with two pretty distinct factions that are in disagreement on pretty much everything. There are also a lot of very invested and very radical people on both sides, who won't react to a loss with a "eh, whatever" and just go on with their lives. To this, you should add record-breaking unemployment, financial uncertainty and stress due to having to work and live with covid.

All of this combined can easily push people to a point where they might feel like they don't have much to lose, and they might as well go out and burn building/shoot other people if the they believe this will hurt the other faction more than theirs.

On top of a situation that is fucked up to begin with, Trump has been doing everything he can to poison the well and create confusion and uncertainty about the legitimacy of the election, and this already led to a situation where no matter who wins, the other side will have lots of excuses (legitimate or not) to claim fraud and refuse to accept the result.

This is a likely preview of what happens if Trump wins ("4 more years of this fascist? Not a chance"):

This is a likely preview of what happens if Biden wins ("the DemonCrats won't force me to wear a mask!"):

Of course, the other side will very swiftly reply in kind.

I'm not unaware about the issues in the US, I'm just not overblowing things like you did with that implication. Who gives a fuck about a few select incidents here and there. Yeah, protests can happen and that's the normal state of the world. Just because it happens in the US, it doesn't mean the whole world has to stop production of hardware and business being made. What I pointed out was more the ridiculousness of singling out console hardware as especially affected by this. This is nothing, protests have been going on since the start of the Covid pandemic and even more after George Floyd's murder. Things are tame now in comparison.

A serious thing that can affect console hardware is trade wars with China for example. That's something that was raised more than a year back.

I'm just asking to not confuse real problems with fake problems in the context of consoles releasing, hence my point about the iphone.

Why would you assume things would be any worse in November than now or next month? It's completely arbitrary. And the consoles are produced for months now, do you think hoarding stock in containers is somehow more cost effective than selling them ASAP? Worse case scenario, this stock would just be used in other regions and the US would go last. TO BE CLEAR, I'M NOT SAYING THAT WILL HAPPEN ANYWAY.

Like someone else pointed out, this is not the forum to get political, so I propose we don't start mixing things.

If the report about $450 being the BOM of PS5 is true, I could see a $399 PS5 DE and $499 Blu-ray Edition. And possibly:

Digital Edition - $70 loss
Blu-ray Edition - Break even
It said sony can't keep the proce at 450 and suggested 470$.

This is bom. U need to add manufacturing , shipping, storage and retailer cut which put ps5 around 530 for sony for production and 510 for DE. So again I think 110$ is a bit too much but we never know .

kyliethicc

Correct. Your reasoning why, though, is guesswork.

"Otherwise their studios would be truly screwed having to port games across XsX, XsS, XB1, XB1X and PC. Looking at that, we've found the reason they're so behind with their games."
His reasoning seems to make sense. Its a lot more work to ask a studio to make a game for all the various PC specs that they want to support, and then 3 variations of Xbox One, and then 2 more new Xbox Series systems. Thats a lot of extra work.

Compared that to Insomniac who when making Ratchet & Clank only have 1 PS5 system to worry about. Easier. It certainly could help PS Studios output and/or lead to longer dev times for Xbox Studios games.

Jon Neu

Banned
A standing piece of art

giphy.gif

During the actual gameplay demo there was no sign of raytracing. Either on other cars reflecting yours (which would be the primary use of r/t), or on your own car having raytraced reflections of environment or the other cars.
See for yourself:

That GT7 gameplay looked underwhelming as fuck.

That's not a generational leap.

LiquidRex

And I really don't see how that would hold Sony back for the teardown. Why do they need a compatible commercial SSD to be available before they show the teardown?
I think they'd prefer to inform customers early what third party SSDs to purchase than after launch, also there may have been compatibility issues with regards to IO which needed ironing out too.
If Sony can hold off the Taredown in favour of having a list of drives I'm sure they would. 🤔
Better to get all the info out there in one go than stagger it, the less confusion the better, they've said they don't want anyone going out buying SSDs, only to discover they aren't compatible.

During the actual gameplay demo there was no sign of raytracing. Either on other cars reflecting yours (which would be the primary use of r/t), or on your own car having raytraced reflections of environment or the other cars.
See for yourself:

Ray tracing doesn't only mean reflections on shiny surfaces. Can't remember now exact details, but with ray tracing, the lighting on the vehicle's dashboard should change significantly in the tunnel section for example. I'd need to re-watch the video, but that's what I would expect at least.

Edit: yep, just re-watched it now, the shadows are all reflecting on the dashboard in real time, so it appears global illumination is there at least.

Edit 2: even on the hood of the car, reflection from the sky to the trees and the sun shinning off a different surface depending on the angle of the car in the track...

Last edited:

LiquidRex

I think they'd prefer to inform customers early what third party SSDs to purchase than after launch, also there may have been compatibility issues with regards to IO which needed ironing out too.
If Sony can hold off the Taredown in favour of having a list of drives I'm sure they would. 🤔
Better to get all the info out there in one go than stagger it, the less confusion the better, they've said they don't want anyone going out buying SSDs, only to discover they aren't compatible.

In all honesty though, I'm disappointed Sony didn't go the Magicgate route and have there own expandable SSDs 🤔

Jon Neu

Banned
For them, the reading comprehension starts and stops at the title of this thread. Imagine being this frustrated, to come in here and talk about PC graphic cards in a console thread.

They really need a therapy group for their insecurity.

-Sony fanboys bring PC to the discussion to, somehow, claim PS5 superiority.

-People who aren't Sony fanboys respond to those claims.

-Sony fanboys: See? This people are bringing PC into the discussion, aren't they lame? They should go to therapy!

Seems that fanboyism deletes any trace of self-awareness of people's minds.

Emmy

Neo Member
I have a question. PS4 has two separate memory buses (Onion and Garlic) doing their own things. So I suppose that buses are present in PS5 too? Onion for CPU caches, Garlic for GPU access to VRAM? What's PS5 Onion's bus bandwidth?

DrDamn

we haven't seen any of these third party launch games running on the ps5 either.

These games are all being rushed to meet the holiday deadline. And they have to ship them on seven different consoles. No one has time to demo anything on consoles right now. Everything that has had gameplay has been shown on pc so far.

Cod is literally the only third party game running on the ps5 and we only saw a trailer for it. No gameplay demo so far.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what about Kena, Godfall, Hood, Pathless, Deathloop, Ghostwire, Jet? All have PS5 footage out there, all containing at least snippets of actual gameplay (I think).

Ray tracing doesn't only mean reflections on shiny surfaces. Can't remember now exact details, but with ray tracing, the lighting on the vehicle's dashboard should change significantly in the tunnel section for example. I'd need to re-watch the video, but that's what I would expect at least.

Edit: yep, just re-watched it now, the shadows are all reflecting on the dashboard in real time, so it appears global illumination is there at least.

Edit 2: even on the hood of the car, reflection from the sky to the trees and the sun shinning off a different surface depending on the angle of the car in the track...
These are not RAY TRACING. Forza does dashboard shadow reflections since 2013.

I replied to a specific question, with a specific answer. if you don't mind, read it again before you comment more:

Surely you will see them in another demo.
I comment on what has been shown.

edit: that gif you posted is not GAMEPLAY though. its not even replay mode. its just part of the trailer.

Last edited:

DrDamn

I head from sources that some of the greater hits of the PS4 were being remastered for PS5/PC. The delay that I heard is because the engines needed to be made multiplat. I don't see any oldies but goodies this year but I could be wrong. At least the graphics will be revised though.

I think this makes a fair amount of sense. Update for PS5 and put out a PC version at the same time - win/win.

Yea, I wonder if they will have an extra slot for another SSD attached to the motherboard. That way, one could replace both drives with larger ones and have the speeds be equal or higher. The only big problem is going to be the cost. It think we'll be paying the same as any other SSD on a PC.

Think someone has posted the link to the Road to PS5 video already, but the key points were that the expansion would be able to take advantage of the I/O processing but with the caveat that they wouldn't support the expanded number of priorities the included SSD does.

Imagine thinking ps5 will be 399 lol .sony won't take 120$ loss imo.

I doubt that would be the loss but even so the digital edition is the one the core gamers would buy and is the one that will bring them more money per game sale so it would be easier to take a larger loss on that one than the other model. Every game sold for it will be bought through PSN which means double what they usually get per game sale if not more.

xacto

-Sony fanboys bring PC to the discussion to, somehow, claim PS5 superiority.

-People who aren't Sony fanboys respond to those claims.

-Sony fanboys: See? This people are bringing PC into the discussion, aren't they lame? They should go to therapy!

Seems that fanboyism deletes any trace of self-awareness of people's minds.

It's nice to have such paragons of virtue to remind us we're all lunatics here, right?

Sorry if this the hill you decided to die on, but I guess it's as good as any. Suit yourself.

raul3d

See for yourself:

This is just plain incorrect wrong and repeating this nonsense will not make it more true. I already proofed you wrong and you put me on ignore, like you do with all people not eating up your FUD.

Guys: Please do not response to him anymore. He derails the thread every time he comes to post.

Jon Neu

Banned
It's nice to have such paragons of virtue to remind us we're all lunatics here, right?

You literally two posts ago in this same page:

For them, the reading comprehension starts and stops at the title of this thread. Imagine being this frustrated, to come in here and talk about PC graphic cards in a console thread.

They really need a therapy group for their insecurity.

It's not my fault that you are the fucking champions of hypocrisy and fanboyism.

You are literally trying to project unto others your own frustrations. You are the ones bringing PC to the discussion and you are the ones claiming that other people need "therapy" because they dare to voice a different opinion outside of the Official Sony narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom