• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Those aren't even load screens on the indie game, just weird editing transitions. Theres no reason why you'd see like 8 load screens on a 10 minute video, and all of them transition to completely disconnected bits of the game

That's a good point. Could be intentional artistic choices as well. Sometimes and elevator can just be....an elevator. I really think it's kind of funny that we have people starting to try and point out loading transitions when they have absolutely NO way to know when or if a load actually happen. Look..bottom line, is XSX is gonna be way faster than current gen machines. PS5 is going to be way faster than that. BOTH will be VERY fast, especially in comparison to what we have now. Everyone will be happy! All this armchair analysis of trailers is just silly anyway. What we NEED to see is games launching ON THE ACTUAL BOXES THEMSELVES if we want to truly judge speed. Otherwise, it's all just guesswork. Guesstimations, I suppose.

That's a good point. Could be intentional artistic choices as well. Sometimes and elevator can just be....an elevator. I really think it's kind of funny that we have people starting to try and point out loading transitions when they have absolutely NO way to know when or if a load actually happen. Look..bottom line, is XSX is gonna be way faster than current gen machines. PS5 is going to be way faster than that. BOTH will be VERY fast, especially in comparison to what we have now. Everyone will be happy! All this armchair analysis of trailers is just silly anyway. What we NEED to see is games launching ON THE ACTUAL BOXES THEMSELVES if we want to truly judge speed. Otherwise, it's all just guesswork. Guesstimations, I suppose.
Right. Exactly what I've been saying.

KNACK 3, BABY!

Agreed! It could be very jarring as a gamer to just go from one world to the other. I was a little overwhelmed at first with the amount of particle effects earlier, so the transition could be there to ease the experience.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Time jumps purposely from 0.30 to 01.00 to inflate the total time, pure FUD.

giphy.gif

when-you-point-a-finger-at-the-moon-to-indicate-the-moon-instead-of-looking-1563639-1.jpg
That's super fast. and that's IF that even represents the loading actions or represents it FULLY. We have NO WAY of knowing that right now. So I guess we can say that at the worst, that's the time it's taking to load? But still what it's loading...who's to say. I mean, they could just do a snap black screen to new level load screen, but are making this rift transition a part of the process. Very possible that some of the time is literally for the visual effect and has nothing to do with the loading. We just don't know. At this point I think it's just fair to say it's 'Ludicrous speed' and call it a day. :)

Otherwise...it's kind of wasted effort since we just don't know.

Also this:

The fuck?
Could happen but bro Wccftech
giphy.gif

Tomorrow will SOUND* amazing 😊
Are you talking about how loud will be the scream of my wallet when NVIDIA make official the prices of its new GPUs ?

It is suppose to be two guys talking...
Perhaps it represents a psychological test in which their multiple personalities interact with each other and we are witnesses of that.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I think the reference is to the portal jumps - those are hidden loading screens

Oh. But we don't KNOW that. In fact, we have no clue. They could be simply visual effects or at least partially. We just don't have any idea right now. We'll have to get information from the developers. I think the better indication for this sort of thing will probably be starting titles from the UI. From UI to splash screen or something like that. Even with the UE5 demo the devs said that crevice entry was just.....a visual tool, not a 'hidden loading screen.' Sometimes an elevator is really just an elevator, folks!

That's super fast. and that's IF that even represents the loading actions or represents it FULLY. We have NO WAY of knowing that right now. So I guess we can say that at the worst, that's the time it's taking to load? But still what it's loading...who's to say. I mean, they could just do a snap black screen to new level load screen, but are making this rift transition a part of the process. Very possible that some of the time is literally for the visual effect and has nothing to do with the loading. We just don't know. At this point I think it's just fair to say it's 'Ludicrous speed' and call it a day. :)

Yeah it’s splitting hairs to argue why. Clearly the I/O for the PS5 is a generational leap. Like Cerny said, the main use case for it is to enable developers and make development easier because of the asset streaming. The load times are just a happy side effect.

With the upcoming gen, we could finally see new types of games where the action does not need to be interrupted and more gaming experiences are unlocked.

Exactly. This entire transition could simply exist for a few reasons.

1. Simply there to let the player know what's happening so it's not a jarring transition to the next world.

2. Looks dope.

Who really knows other than Insomniac themselves. I'm sure they'll talk about it eventually.

Oh. But we don't KNOW that. In fact, we have no clue. They could be simply visual effects or at least partially. We just don't have any idea right now. We'll have to get information from the developers. I think the better indication for this sort of thing will probably be starting titles from the UI. From UI to splash screen or something like that. Even with the UE5 demo the devs said that crevice entry was just.....a visual tool, not a 'hidden loading screen.' Sometimes an elevator is really just an elevator, folks!
Think I responded above but yeah I was just assuming that’s what those were. Looking forward to the next round of GDC talks once the next-gen consoles come out.

I don’t understand this whole BC debacle, if it was not clear from this gen, Sony will do BC with titles that are worth it. They have PS2 and PS1 games running on PS4 already, if I had to guess they just haven’t made a PS3 emulator because of PS4’s power.

The problem is people wanting BC the same way as the Xbox, I’m sorry to break this for you, but that ain’t happening. Microsoft had nothing to do the whole gen so they could afford going through a lot of shit to get old games running with licenses bullshit. Sony can’t afford that much work for a feature that is far from being as essential as PS4 BC.

Does this rules out older gen BC? Of course not, if they see there’s demand for PS3 games I’m sure they’ll be able to build an emulator to sell those games again. Just don’t expect your entire PS1, PS2 and PS3 physical library to work, you are setting yourself for disappointment.

Nickolaidas

kotaku - ps5-will-only-be-backward-compatible-with-ps4-games-according-to-ubisoft

They've removed that info now

I know
which proves its true

Eh... Removing it is a weird thing to do. Now it implies PS5 "is" BC.

so far, ps5 is a large, loud, and hot bag of shite

In fact, back in Feb, Ubisoft stated it was BC too (but we assumed they meant PS4 only)

Sony was contacted for info and they responded with they arent going to respond, then the into got took down. The leaks on the chips also say only 2 variable architecture speeds (ps4 and ps5

Exactly. So it's weird to remove the info if it's actually true. Thus, hopefully, the machine is BC with PS1/2/3

lmao
It isnt BC
it isnt even bc with ps4 properly
Also, the ps1 used disc wobble for copy protection which the drive would need to be specifically designed to pickup
the discs on ps2 (cd and dvd) used a wider spread on the discs too, which again requires special drives
And they have a discless ps5
IF BC, it would be running via an emu only on the new OS, which would be re-releases at a cost and no BC

Dunno about all that. Just saying Ubisoft are being cagey. Even their original support statement could be read as though the PS5 supports PS1/2/3/4 BC but ubisoft only support PS4 etc. Otherwise, if it's known PS5 is only BC with PS4, such a statement would be weird for Ubisoft to say.

The dream of bc is dead on ps5 mate
Let it go

... In the first place. The fact they now removed it, is even more suspect.

They removed because Sony asked them to ask they are getting flack
They want people to preorder the thing before they say its wank
and those preorders are due to go live within next 2 weeks

To be clear: I only expect PS4 BC. Anything else in any aspect (such as all games on PSNow being downloadable) would be a bonus.

limited ps4 bc
they already confirmed that

But difference is that Sony still bring the current gen games. Outside of PS4 or any other BC, there'll still be actual PS5 games to play. XB's big push for launch, without Halo, is old BC games and GamePass filler.

You mean sony are bringing out ps4 games with particle effects and ray tracing and blocking them from running on a ps4
baring the loading times, ratchet and clank would easily run on a ps4 from the polygon count and textures
plus it only runs at 30fps

RNC have an optional 60fps mode. A fair few PS5 games give that option.

60fps at less than 1080p
Miles Morales uses the exact same engine as ps4 spiderman, but with post processing effects and ray tracing, and that code would again run happily on a ps4

Dunno about that. I tend to come down on side of framerate anyway, so I'm happy for the user choice.

hahahahahahahaha
xb1x has had that option in their games from launch
The option for 4k/30 vs 1080p/60 is last gen stuff
Most Xbox One X Enhanced games offer two modes: Quality or Performance. Quality would offer full 4K, while Performance offers 60 FPS or at least unlocked frame rates.
Allowing for 3tflops running raytracing, the ps5 has the equivalant of 6tflops of graphical performance for rendering/framerates
Which is almost identical to the xb1x

On the other hand XB/multiplatform games for next generation consoles The Medium, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion, Yakuza: Like a Dragon (not even 4K), Scarlet Nexus all have no 60fps mode.
Probably not the drum you wanna beat-on to champion XB.

on xb1 no
But so far ps4 pro has ZERO native 4k games even at 30 fps
ps4 pro randers much lower and upscales and still cant get 60fps
render*

Give me a call when XB can do something like TLOU2 or Ghosts of Tushima graphics, and those are on 1TF launch PS4's.

Developer Bloober Team has confirmed that its upcoming horror title The Medium will be 30fps on Xbox Series X. In response to a commenter on the studio's official YouTube channel, it was explained that the game will run at 4K/30fps for cinematic reasons, as well as its 'Dual-Reality' gameplay: "The game is 4K/30fps
tlou2? Really? That game is MASSIVELY below parr of an xb1x
4k/30
NOT 1080p 30fps which is most ps4
tlou2 runs are 1440p on ps4 pro with variable frame rates
It also has small environments and does not have an amazing polygon count
(TLOU2 pictures)
They are far from impressive graphics
r2rd hugely outdid them, with high polygon count, better lighting, and environments that werr upto 500x larger with draw distance

Narrative choices and pacing issues aside, the actual gameplay of TLOU2 is still great, and the game looks visually impressive. RnC PS5 looks great too, better in the Aug footage than the June footage due to more RTX and stuff applied to it.

I can't say the same for, say, Halo: Craig.

Why we talking about graphics now? We were talking about BC and framerates before.

(rdr2, forza 7/8 pics)
graphical, that blows RNC out of the water by a long way
Some are forza 8, some are just forza 7 running on a sx with the added effects
And sony went for variable speeds of cpu/gpu, making BC bloody difficult to run and smoothly

how do you know they're on XBSX? did the trailer state on it that it was captured on a XBSX?

It was shown running on the console
Whicb is more than ps5 has done yet. All of theirs so far have run from a dev kit

mate... you're drunk. there's been LOADS of PS5 stuff shown ''captured running on a PS5''. Not a PC, not a PS5 devkit (although there was one game that made that distinction clear by stating devkit). It's the XBSX that has hardly shown anything running on the console itself.
Some are forza 8, some are just forza 7 running on a sx with the added effects

how do you know they're on XBSX? did the trailer state on it that it was captured on a XBSX?

It was shown running on the console
Whicb is more than ps5 has done yet. All of theirs so far have run from a dev kit

mate... you're drunk. there's been LOADS of PS5 stuff shown ''captured running on a PS5''. Not a PC, not a PS5 devkit (although there was one game that made that distinction clear by stating devkit).
It's the XBSX that has hardly shown anything running on the console itself.

nope. Every ps5 has said running on ps5 "hardware"
Which has turned out everytime to mean the devkit

Actual in hand xbsx running stuff, and its months old

(The June vs August RnC trailer screenshots)
the 2 trailer has a fog effect, less lighting, and far less cars and others things reducing the polygon count
So far, neither have just put a console on a desk and shown any games running for their new games
Sony keep saying ps5 hardware, and ms use a pc (which is their devkit)
And with each trailer released, Sony is slowly downgrading their games graphically

I'm not sure why there's fog and stuff on the RnC later footage. Different effects, but there's certainly more reflections on the floor, and more effects on the purple portals.

Reflections yes, but raytracing count is down, polygons are down, draw distance is down, lighting down, and added fog effects to blur shit
With the exception of the reflections, the rest of the graphics has been downgraded by around 10-15%
if it was running on a finished actual ps5, then why would that be needed?

Senpai-Noticed-Me--Finally--075340691498647626.jpg

Please elaborate on your gif... if there's anything I'm replying back to him which is factually wrong, I don't want to be out there spreading misinformation.

annd back to the show :)

I'm not sure why there's fog and stuff on the RnC later footage. Different effects, but there's certainly more reflections on the floor, and more effects on the purple portals.

Reflections yes, but raytracing count is down, polygons are down, draw distance is down, lighting down, and added fog effects to blur shit
With the exception of the reflections, the rest of the graphics has been downgraded by around 10-15%
if it was running on a finished actual ps5, then why would that be needed?
even worse is the famboys claiming it somehow looks better?!?! I mean what the hell, how does fogging everything show an improvement?
what is shows is sony lying once again
I mean, did you ever compare TLOU2 trailer to the actual game that came out?

the reflections deffinately look better. i believe the fur on rachet has been cleaned-up too. i'm not all technically minded for all that stuff, it could be an artistic reason to add fog etc. I'd have to look around and see if there's an answer.

as i recall, TLOU2 looked better in release than in the trailers. There were talks of upgrades. and i don't just mean to the size of Abbey's arms, which was monsterous when compared side-by-side the before and after.

What? The trailer looked a lot alot better than the game
The design was better in release
but the effects, lighting, polygons, everything was hugely downgraded on release

wait what do you mean the TLOU design was better in release? Abby was comically masculine. The trailer footage of her had a lot more realistic-looking arms for a female in a post apocalyptic setting.

and i'm not sure you're correct there. but i'd have to go digging in old discussion threads to be sure.
There was a shit 2013 trailer
Then a 2017 one that was amazing
the release fell inbetween the 2
And I just showed Lucy those rnc side by sides and asked her which was better
She said the june was by far, and she wasnt part of this convo

you've lost me. pretty sure there wasn't a 2013 tlou2 tailer, or a 2013 RNC Rift Apart trailer

sorry, I was looking at the 2013 release of tou1

Oh, well yes, TLOU2 certainly looks better than TLOU1 in terms of sheer graphics.

I just, in my opinion, don't like the visual changes to making Abbey even more masculine for the retail release of the game, and the questionable motive of making Dina/all women in the game purposefully more ugly than their real life motion capture counterparts. Ellie is a whole other problem. I think they could have made her look more like TLOU1 Ellie overall, and I think the comparison between TLOU1 Ellie and ''Flashback to TLOU1 Scene'' TLOU2 Ellie is complete nightmare fuel. They don't even look like the same person.

Sorry.... what was the point you were making there about TLOU2?
Anybody here who actually cares about this?

Like, legitimately giving a damn about this guy giving us a detailed summary of his discussions?

Should I start posting screenshots of my twitter DMs with literal nobodies? Would that interest you guys?

Nickolaidas

interesting... so I checked it out.
I dont see much reason to be concerned

video starts with an initial load of a couple of second for the open world, but we dont know if there was more before it.
then from its open world to battle, the transition is instantaneous:

then from battle to camping less than three seconds:

then from camping to in house less than three seconds:

from house to open world less than five seconds

and all these are playable segments

this is just a multiplatform release of a small indie studio of basically two people,
yet it beats both sony's first party (ratchet) and sony internal demo team (astro's playroom ) on loading speeds for gameplay

Here's a thought: Why don't you post a video of the arcade version of Space Invaders running on Xbox One X in order to prove that Xbox One X's HDD is faster than the PS5's SSD?

I mean, if you're literally comparing the data streaming needs of an indie game with those of a triple A blockbuster game to perform your mental gymnastics, you're better off going all-in, right?

danstar

Neo Member
“One of the cool things about it, is that it’s all still live gameplay where you can control your character,” game director Mike Daly said. “All those worlds that you’re traveling through during those sequences are real, fully fleshed out worlds that you could just, like, stop and play in under other circumstances.”
I'm not sure if this had been clarified before but this makes it even more impressive.

Saberus

Just my luck the one day I'm going to be away from my phone/computer. I hope it's just an event announcement and not pre-orders going live or I'm screwed.
Don't get to excited if you click on the twitter feed looks like its about Nvidia presentation tomorrow, he's a big PC fan also.

ksdixon

Z7HeRxU.jpg

I'll be sure to do it in Twitter screenshots next time, that's where this thread usually seems to source it's BS from. At one stage everyone was clamoring to see PS5 FUD, well my friend seems to have it in spades. It was meant to provide a bit of levity as we wait for PS5 info, certainly recieved enough "LOL" reactions to them.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I'll be sure to do it in Twitter screenshots next time, that's where this thread usually seems to source it's BS from. At one stage everyone was clamoring to see PS5 FUD, well my friend seems to have it in spades. It was meant to provide a bit of levity as we wait for PS5 info, certainly recieved enough "LOL" reactions to them.

Yeah, don't worry about it, man. It's been entertaining. If people don't want to read...they can uh....NOT READ IT. ;)

To me it's kind of like looking at a political forum these days and seeing the insanity that is resident. Except.....your stuff is actually entertaining while the political threads are just....sad at best and enraging at worst. lol

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Gawd..... I don't know if I even want to CHECK this forum tomorrow. I'd love to get info...but the disappointment that will just RADIATE from the thread if nothing is announced or happens..... I don't know if I can take it!

Just kidding...I'll definitely be checking in! Frequently!
Lol I kinda feel bad for sharing that tweet now, it’s fun to get hyped for this kinda stuff but I always try tempeRing my expectations so I’m not bothered when nothing happens. Problem is some people don’T temper their expectations(not their fault, I’m Guilty of this a lot).

aclar00

Yeah, if PSOne (and so on) games aren't a higher resolution on the PS5 there would be no point in it.
Jim Ryan wasn't lying, they do look like shit, I had rose-coloured glasses on until I got a PSOne mini thing.

I could still play RE1 until this day...and Twisted Metal 2...man give me that jist as is with online play and id probablt get an easy 100 hrs in, in a couple of months.

Last edited:

aclar00

For you to have back compatibility with the PS1 and PS2 you need to have a laser that can read those discs. This increases costs. So yeah, there is an excuse, which is ",we don't want to stick a laser inside the console for a fraction of our buyers to have the hability and pretend that they'll play legacy games."

i bought PS1 Classics on PS3, does that count if im able to play them again?

Redlight

Time jumps purposely from 0.30 to 01.00 to inflate the total time, pure FUD.

giphy.gif

when-you-point-a-finger-at-the-moon-to-indicate-the-moon-instead-of-looking-1563639-1.jpg
Bo, you're wrong. The counter is timecode. It measures seconds and video frames. Every second of video is appx 25 frames. it isn't skipping anything.

Edit: Reading back through this thread I think a few of you owe ol' Sharky an apology. Geez, you guys are super quick to jump to conclusions.

It's amazing (not in a good way).

TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom