• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

But i assume that he wants to sell at least a few SeriesX. This will be hard when it is more expensive then PS5

While that is perfectly logical, Phil and MS have gone out of their way not to acknowledge the existence of Lockhart so I can only assume when he says they won't be out of position on power or price he is talking only about XSX.

zaitsu

Banned
But i assume that he wants to sell at least a few SeriesX. This will be hard when it is more expensive then PS5
No , he stated he doesn't care about selling it.
He want to sell gamepass ( and probably XSS)
XSX was made only to have "power crown" for those who choose hardware because it's have higher TF count, not lower pricetag.
The only reason XSX would be priced the same as PS5, would be that SONY get cocky and price PS5 higher than they could because MS at the moment has nothing to offer.

FunkMiller

My money is on September 9, 25th anniversary of the PlayStation release in the US.
The first COD trailer also pointed to that date for the multiplayer reveal. I can see that happening at the Sony event

You could conceivably believe that September 9th has been a long term game plan for Sony, given the importance of the date. Or at least, they’ve been planning on an event in September all along, despite the problems with covid. It’s kinda the perfect time - around two months before launch - to have a big event, as it’s time enough for people to pre-order, but also close enough to release to keep the marketing and communications hype going, with the console in the front of people’s minds. It’s a good balance timewise between the hardcore gamers and the casual audience.

sircaw

Banned
Yeah it would make sens, but i don't want to expect it will 100% happen. Damn it's hard to know what Sony are thinking now about their communication plans, you can't even in Psychomantis mode activated.

Time is running out, if they want to launch this year they need to start shifting gears soon. Not having seen a breakdown is now getting to ridiculous at this point. They are producing consoles in a factory atm and stock piling them, why is that breakdown of all things taking so long.

It has to be for the anniversary. It just makes sense.

If its not the 9th, i just don't know what to think anymore, but fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I guess they just have to...
I know, you are more of an XBox person, but it seems that despite the (most likely slightly) weaker performance of the PS5 the Playstation is more attractive to more people. If the XBox has much less momentum, fewer "must have" games and is more expensive, XBox has a problem.

An example is the XBox One X: it was more expensive to manufacture than the PS4Pro (much larger SoC, 50% more memory, more expensive cooling). Microsoft tried to sell it $100 more expensive, but had to match the PS4 Pro after a while.
During Corona they had sales where the OneX was $100 cheaper then the PS4Pro, despite higher manufacturing costs.

Not healthy in the long run, except you expect the additional income to pay for it.
For example Sony said in 2019 that until then each launch PS4 generated $1600 in overall sales, so it is possible to cover the initial subsidizing over time.
Yeah that's true, personally I don't care about sales as long as it doesn't influence developer support but I was wondering from an business pov. Microsoft isn't known to take big hits on their hardware

PS4 Pro was $400. Xbox One X was $500.

Microsoft is the one making a less expensive model, the Series S (Lockhart.) That says the Series X is gonna be expensive.

PS5 $500, XSX $600, XSS $400 could happen.
Yeah put Spencer specifically said that XSX would not be outmatched on power or price. So it can't be more expensive... Also $400 is way too much for XSS.

Time is running out, if they want to launch this year they need to start shifting gears soon. Not having seen a breakdown is now getting to ridiculous at this point. They are producing consoles in a factory atm and stock piling them, why is that breakdown of all things taking so long.

If its not the 9th, i just don't know what to think anymore, but fingers crossed.

To play devils advocate a little, why do they even have to do a teardown? And in any case didn't the PS4 Pro one not happen until the week of release? Price and pre-orders defo need to happen soon though.

sircaw

Banned
To play devils advocate a little, why do they even have to do a teardown? And in any case didn't the PS4 Pro one not happen until the week of release? Price and pre-orders defo need to happen soon though.

Because Mark Cerny already said they would and that people would be happy with what their engineers had done, i remember that about the cooling solution specifically.

And it breeds confidence, surely you want to show off your snazzy new piece of hardware.

I think September 9th is a fair bet and aligns with most rumors. It's the 25th anniversary of PlayStation, many credible folks are subtly hinting at it.

The biggest sign to me is the CoD multiplayer reveal. They have consistently marketed alongside Sony for some time now, so it makes sense.

As far as pre-orders go, my GameStop contact will find out(if they aren't springing it) probably on the conference call a week from Monday. I'll let you know if he warns me.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I guess one thing to take note was that he said he was vetted by a moderator. I'd imagine saying something like that and lying about it would get you banned? Or it's all an inside Job, who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️
I don't know what he told ERA mods, I can only go by his public info.

In his LinkedIn page there are a lot of past and present positions cited, but it's very hard to follow exactly what is what and to what degree he is/was involved.

I assume the multinational company he mentioned is DXC Technology, where he credits himself as "Business services analyst". But he also says he works for two other completely separate companies, one named after himself and one called "Yeah" where he is the only employee listed (on LinkedIn). He is also an IT teacher for some cooperative.

Which makes me assume he is more of a freelance/consultant than an employee, but this is completely beside the point. It's his gaming credentials that I have serious issues with.

This is the website: https://4news.it/ It is beyond obscure, it racks up barely any views on everything, and I've never even heard of it once in more than 10 years of following gaming outlets very closely (including my time when I worked for one, and actively went looking for news, searched for leak sources, different takes and discussions etc.).

Saying you worked there might be correct but it is a completely empty boast in and of itself. I could start saying around that I was vice-editor-in-chief of a gaming website for years, but it wouldn't mean shit, because our website never really meant shit. I could create a completely new fucking website where I post nonsense that nobody reads, what would that be worth?

More to the point, I cannot believe anything he says because so far he got absolutely nothing right. He is often very non-committal in his "leaks", and they are still wrong; the few times he tries to be specific he's super-wrong. And there is never an ackowledgement of that, he just goes on and on in the hope to finally get one right by pure luck to appear legitimate to people with goldfish-grade memory.

It's the attitude in the end that says it all, not the wrong info in and of itself. You are simply happy to knowingly deceive and misguide people for whatever dishonest or retarded goal of yours.

sircaw

Banned
Maybe Sony were planning to do a teardown at Gamescom.

Atm, I am lost to what these big companies' strategies are.

Gamescom maybe, but if I was in sony's shoes i would want all the media attention to myself, hog it all, so to speak.

I think the breakdown has to be in the middle of the quietest of weeks, nothing else gets in the way, so they get all the coverage, headlines to themselves.

but i am just a simple fish, who knows what Sony is thinking these days.

FranXico

Atm, I am lost to what these big companies' strategies are.

Gamescom maybe, but if I was in sony's shoes i would want all the media attention to myself, hog it all, so to speak.

I think the breakdown has to be in the middle of the quietest of weeks, nothing else gets in the way, so they get all the coverage, headlines to themselves.

but i am just a simple fish, who knows what Sony is thinking these days.
I saw you missed my edit. I meant GDC, Gamescom was a mistake. But yes, the same principle applies (except GDC was a long time ago).

SaucyJack

No , he stated he doesn't care about selling it.
He want to sell gamepass ( and probably XSS)
XSX was made only to have "power crown" for those who choose hardware because it's have higher TF count, not lower pricetag.
The only reason XSX would be priced the same as PS5, would be that SONY get cocky and price PS5 higher than they could because MS at the moment has nothing to offer.

You’re not that gullible are you? You don’t spend billions in R&D for hardware if you don’t actually want to sell it.

And if he wants to sell Gamepass he needs to sell consoles too, by far the easiest sale for Gamepass is to existing Xbox owners, trying to sell it to anyone else is a harder sale. Gamepass would be a far greater earner with the 360s 80+ million user base than the XBOs sub 50.

Selling physical consoles is absolutely central to their strategy, but how successful can Gamepass really be if XSX underperforms XBO?

Rudius

Here is Why Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is a True Next-gen Game

Let's jump straight to the 4K screenshots I've made from the video, put in mind that the video itself is heavily compressed, but I made PNG screenshots to preserve as much details as possible:

Raytraced reflections:

Looking into this screenshot, you can clearly see Ratchet's raytraced reflection on Clank. The red bulb on Clank's head is also reflective on his own body on other frames.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h25m18s267.png

And here is another shot showing the fine reflections on Clank's body/head:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h37m33s664.png

High-quality, raytraced shadows:

You can spot that every hair has its own high-quality shadow:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h38m13s823.png

Even during gameplay, look at the tail fur:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m05s699.png

High-quality particles:

Just look at the liquid splash and other particles that can be extremely crowded in some parts of the demo without noticeable penalty in performance.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h27m26s545.png

Extremely fast and dynamic transitions:

Powered by state-of-the-art SSD customization and assisted by extensively detailed I/O.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h43m56s517.png

Dynamic, high-quality damage deformation:

Some objects like the concrete blocks, you can see how different the damage model is and how they dynamically get broken eventually. Look at the side concrete blocks, you can see here even interactive particles of this lightning gun:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h29m19s836.png

Look at the detailed damage and all the debris around:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h34m48s462.png

And here they've been broken:

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h36m41s867.png

Infinite draw distance without aliasing:

Whether it's close or far all the way to the outer planets/moons, everything looks insanely sharp as if it's been pulled off directly from a Hollywood CGI movie. Geometry Engines help achieving that without a performance penalty, drawing what's needed to be drawn on screen per frame budget of polygons.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h19m41s543.png

High polygon-count models:

Near-CGI level that made many observers skeptical at first, but it's pretty clear that it will only get better as this latest demo was a refined version of the first one. Due to Geometry Engines and in updated game engines that take advantage of them, no more LOD's that add more wasteful size to game size.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h42m36s754.png

True 3D Audio:

The sound quality is insane in that gameplay demo, use a headset to enjoy it. Many particles create their own sound, like the bullet shells for example. With all the chaos it can be overwhelming, just like in real life, but would be wonderful to spot secret treasures using True 3D Audio when games tend to give unique sound to some collectives. It would appreciated in calmer situations when every sound is noticeable.

======

4d1ndq.jpg

Hope you enjoyed reading.

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h40m18s493.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h14m09s427.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h41m02s676.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-13h11m47s318.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-28-17h21m21s434.png
Man, I wish Naughty Dog made a Jak 4 for the PS5 :messenger_persevering:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I saw you missed my edit. I meant GDC, Gamescom was a mistake. But yes, the same principle applies (except GDC was a long time ago).

It's very very possible. I am trying to be positive here, i kinda have had enough of this waiting.

Personally, i feel like i have been on a rollar coaster ride these last few months in regards to reveals. I keep getting my hopes dashes up, most of it is my own fault, granted.

I want to say yer, your right and i want to shout it to the heavens, but something is telling me, DONT GET TO EXCITED, you did this to yourself 10 times already lol

sircaw

Banned
You’re not that gullible are you? You don’t spend billions in R&D for hardware if you don’t actually want to sell it.

And if he wants to sell Gamepass he needs to sell consoles too, by far the easiest sale for Gamepass is to existing Xbox owners, trying to sell it to anyone else is a harder sale. Gamepass would be a far greater earner with the 360s 80+ million user base than the XBOs sub 50.

Selling physical consoles is absolutely central to their strategy, but how successful can Gamepass really be if XSX underperforms XBO?

I am not sure if its gullible or not but telling the market you don't care if they buy your console or not is a rotten look.

Its something he should not of said.

kyliethicc

Yeah that's true, personally I don't care about sales as long as it doesn't influence developer support but I was wondering from an business pov. Microsoft isn't known to take big hits on their hardware

Yeah put Spencer specifically said that XSX would not be outmatched on power or price. So it can't be more expensive... Also $400 is way too much for XSS.

"I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer.

He does not say anything about 1 specific console, just Xbox in general. Also, Phil lies from time to time.

And Series S will probably be $300 or $350, but $400 is possible if all the next gen consoles are priced higher than we think.

SSfox

I actually think they have their plan, i would have some doubts if they're not always reminding that PS5 release is still set for 2020 but yeah. Their plan is just not the one that people are used to, just like it have been this entire year, and for now we can at least say that it's working in terms of hype and excitement.

Sony has been very quiet, but in light of recent events, it seems it was the best of calls.

Probably want to keep it as quiet as they can and roll things out when they are absolutely sure they can meet the expectations.

Ensure production is proceeding apace, whilst also waiting to ascertain that your bigger launch window titles(Ratchet, Spidey, maybe Demon's Souls) are going to hit that window with reasonable certainty before you slap anything resembling a date on it.

When you do show something, make sure it is running on the hardware you put forth this late in the game, not a PC with targeted specifications as much as possible.

Big difference in interpretation for Holiday 2020 and Launch Window if you ask me.

Man everyone hanging off of Spencer's sales pitches, "Won'T Be BeAtEn On PowAh AnD PriCe." make me cringe. 😂

Yeah sure Spence, have your theoretical crown that will be meaningless in practise because peeps love seeing big peak value numbers flopped around like an obnoxious cock; not learning how much CUs actually get utilised on average, stall, the importance of fast caches, etc, gaining ever closely to Lisa Ann's tight buns until the cock packs his raytraced balls and goes home feeling good regardless.

As for price, they'll just match Sony and try to throw in some Gamepass value crap blah blah blah. 😂 Fuck it.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Do you mean the tear down? Because Sony will likely wait until launch to show that. They can wait until the consoles ship to customers to show the insides to the world. PS4 Pro teardown was November 2016, so we might have to wait.

Neo Blaster

No silicon is running anywhere close to those frequencies on the same process at manufacturer validation.

The PS5 is the only outliner across all HPC categories.
That's very very significant.

After hearing the PS5 clocks first I thought, yeah next gen NVIDIA and AMD GPUs could run on higher clocks, but they won't
It will be similar to RTX 2000 and RX 5000 series.
So either they don't hit it often, or they invested heavily into achieving those. Those two are the only options. Because it's the same process and architecture. There is no magic involved. It somehow hast to be achieved.
Thanks for the info, Mr. Cern...oh, wait!!

sircaw

Banned
Do you mean the tear down? Because Sony will likely wait until launch to show that. They can wait until the consoles ship to customers to show the insides to the world. PS4 Pro teardown was November 2016, so we might have to wait.

I really hope not. I can't see the benefit of holding or hiding it away for so long. If the kit is indeed the amazing piece of technology that we all expect it to be, the sooner it is out there the better.

Again this is just my personal thoughts.

It just feels like a wasted opportunity, at least in the way my logic sounds.

Hopefully you guys get your teardown. Im not a hardware guy, not to the extent of analyzing MBoards.

I want the UI explained complete with every feature pretty bad though.
Sony and MS do "official" teardowns now, because they realized that if they don't third parties would do it. And third parties are more likely to make a mess of it in ripping the machine apart, and misrepresent what they find in the box.

Doing their own offical tear down don't just allow them to control the message and present the hardware in the best possible light; they would also suck air out of the sail of any third party who might do an unflattering teardown later. Because most people only bother to watch a teardown once.

Elysion

Banned
I'm a bit surprised that Ratchet and Clank is 4k. Do we know for sure that it's native 4k, and not 4k cb? I would've thought that native 4k wouldn't be a common thing next gen. After all, the jump in resolution from 1080p to 4k is much bigger than the jump from 720p to 1080p was, while the jump in performance (in raw TF) is smaller.

I just don't see how it's possible to achieve proper next gen graphics at native 4k, even at 30fps. I thought that was the whole point of these fancy image reconstruction techniques we've seen on Ps4 Pro, to get a high resolution image without wasting all that hardware power on raw pixels. Do we know which other announced next gen games are native 4k?

On another matter, can we expect Sony to sell their own SSDs to expand storage (like they did with Memory Cards back in the day)? Or are they leaving the field entirely open to third party manufacturers?

SaucyJack

"I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer.

He does not say anything about 1 specific console, just Xbox in general. Also, Phil lies from time to time.

And Series S will probably be $300 or $350, but $400 is possible if all the next gen consoles are priced higher than we think.

That, and its not entirely up to him.

I'm a bit surprised that Ratchet and Clank is 4k. Do we know for sure that it's native 4k, and not 4k cb? I would've thought that native 4k wouldn't be a common thing next gen. After all, the jump in resolution from 1080p to 4k is much bigger than the jump from 720p to 1080p was, while the jump in performance (in raw TF) is smaller.

I just don't see how it's possible to achieve proper next gen graphics at native 4k, even at 30fps. I thought that was the whole point of these fancy image reconstruction techniques we've seen on Ps4 Pro, to get a high resolution image without wasting all that hardware power on raw pixels. Do we know which other announced next gen games are native 4k?

On another matter, can we expect Sony to sell their own SSDs to expand storage (like they did with Memory Cards back in the day)? Or are they leaving the field entirely open to third party manufacturers?
As per pixel counters in DF, the game is native 4k. Almost all PS5 games shown are native 4k so far. Only the Sackboy game is sub 4k. However, expect more 1800p to come later. 1800p is still very high resolution by the way and doesn't look much different from 4k.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

I also think it'll be 250-300

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom