• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Devkit in other colour
sony-ps5-770x749.jpg

playstation-5-770x535.jpg

nieuw-model-770x663.jpg

8k-playstation-770x508.jpg

ps5-kopen-770x642.jpg

sony-playstation-5-prototype-770x615.jpg

That arrangement has it growing on me.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Interesting. Seems graphical improvements while they will come are not the main focus.

I hope they at least look as good as the last few UE4 demos and that recent unity demo,
While some games with enhanced A.I, npc realism etc would be great I also want some new graphics hotness.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
There are some very informative discussions over there, but they do have the tendency to lowball everything when it comes to speculations.

B3D serves a vital role, because when the specs are finally revealed and the deep dives begin I will be heading right over there for the technical breakdowns.
B3D is great. I remember "Fehu" saying something to the "10pgs handwritten" guy from my deep dive into the root of these codenames. He says, "When I go to back to work I'll have something". Don't know if this is that something. General consensus over there seems to be "fake" from what I've read. Same with the handwritten guy.

*Edit* I knew my other brain saw that name somewhere...
Fehu2.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

R600

Banned
So now we're at 7TF
I dont buy 7TF, but 8-9TF Navi with bigger percentage of RT "cores" then RTX cards will be very very big jump indeed.

Would much rather have 9TF + solid RT solution then 11TF card without it.

And this is where people that say "anything less then 10 and its a bust" are wrong.

First of all, 9TF navi ~ 12.5TF GCN. Second, 9TF Navi + RT = comfortably ahead of 14TF GCN.

So if someone said "We are getting 14TF GPU with 8 core Zen2" people would go crazy last year. 9TF Navi and RT doesnt sound as nice for some reason, even if it gives more bang for buck.

Interesting. Seems graphical improvements while they will come are not the main focus.
Why should they be the main focus?

Modern AAA games are expensive to make and most importantly they take many years to develop (RDR2, TLOU2 are 2 prominent examples).

Do you guys seriously want to wait until 2030+ to play TLOU3/RDR3? It's simple math, really.

I dont buy 7TF, but 8-9TF Navi with bigger percentage of RT "cores" then RTX cards will be very very big jump indeed.

Would much rather have 9TF + solid RT solution then 11TF card without it.

And this is where people that say "anything less then 10 and its a bust" are wrong.

First of all, 9TF navi ~ 12.5TF GCN. Second, 9TF Navi + RT = comfortably ahead of 14TF GCN.

So if someone said "We are getting 14TF GPU with 8 core Zen2" people would go crazy last year. 9TF Navi and RT doesnt sound as nice for some reason, even if it gives more bang for buck.
7TF RDNA also gives more bang for buck compared to 6TF Polaris, so why not?

Maybe Sony made an exotic GPU, where half the chip is full of RT cores. Or maybe MS made a GPU where half the chip is comprised of FP64 ALUs.

To be honest, both thread and poll are not reflect of Navi TF vs Vega TF because RDNA vs GCN.
Personally, I think most people are too focused on 3D graphics/rasterization, even though Yoshida has clearly said that graphics aren't going to be the main focus next-gen.

This gen solidified the importance of GPU compute (hence the need for flops) and next-gen will bring new paradigm shifts (such as machine learning for next-gen AI etc).

People need to think out of the box. If graphics were still the end all be all, 3Dfx would still be with us. GPUs are more than just graphics these days. They need to be future-proof for tons of applications.

Fake

Graphics not being the focus, didn't Phil say the same thing back at E3 Scarlett reveal? Looks like 7TF for everyone.
IMO this is bs because neither PS4 was graphics as a focus if you count the features:
Share button, touch, VR and others...

Imtjnotu

Shit, I will take 1080p/60 if it means pushing the envelope more. 1080p scales mint on a 4K set, unless you have a cheap junk scaler. But even then, we are not talking 720p on a 1080p set "mud" due to the even integer.
Only use Sony tv's and the scalers are still the best in the industry. So even at 1080 I wouldn't butni do see a difference when playing at 1080 or 1440

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Only use Sony tv's and the scalers are still the best in the industry. So even at 1080 I wouldn't butni do see a difference when playing at 1080 or 1440

Same, Sony set here as well. How good 1080p looks and the base PS4 having HDR has prevented me from upgrading to the Pro.

I have not seen how the Pro looks on it, but if there is a difference as you claim, I may look into one if there are good deals this Holiday.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Same, Sony set here as well. How good 1080p looks and the base PS4 having HDR has prevented me from upgrading to the Pro.

I have not seen how the Pro looks on it, but if there is a difference as you claim, I may look into one if there are good deals this Holiday.
I can see the difference. For me. I played gow at the higher res for then looks. Frame rate didn't bother me but I would love the same visuals at higher frame any day

vpance

IMO this is bs because neither PS4 was graphics as a focus if you count the features:
Share button, touch, VR and others...

Yeah I think it's just a sales PR way of saying our system improves on last gen on more than just the graphics.

Fake

Yeah I think it's just a sales PR way of saying our system improves on last gen on more than just the graphics.
Because as much people saying 'hey, graphics is not Sony focus next gen', their ambition are around specs and as you can see, VR on base PS4 have their limitations.
They need to be more inovative next gen? Of course they do, but they need a machine to make all this happen too as well.

FrostyJ93

Because as much people saying 'hey, graphics is not Sony focus next gen', their ambition are around specs and as you can see, VR on base PS4 have their limitations.
They need to be more inovative next gen? Of course they do, but they need a machine to make all this happen too as well.

And it will be. They always are.

Stuart360

Although its nice to see a bit or realism and reality sink in for some people, instead of '14tf+' and 'PS5 will be as good or better than a 2080 Super' shite that has been in this thread, its also a bit ridiculous to think PS5 and Scarlett will be 7TF. People can talk about 'different architecture' and use buzzwords, but no way would they release 7TF consoles when the OneX is already 6TF and will be 3+ years old by the time next gen starts. Especially Microsoft.

Racer!

Although its nice to see a bit or realism and reality sink in for some people, instead of '14tf+' and 'PS5 will be as good or better than a 2080 Super' shite that has been in this thread, its also a bit ridiculous to think PS5 and Scarlett will be 7TF. People can talk about 'different architecture' and use buzzwords, but no way would they release 7TF consoles when the OneX is already 6TF and will be 3+ years old by the time next gen starts. Especially Microsoft.

You think its realistic to talk about 9 TF in 2021 basically when Pro came out in 2016 with 4.2TF?

R600

Banned
DF Direct: PlayStation 5 Controller, UI, SSD News Reaction + Analysis

Richard mentions he heard Sony went witj "smart" SOC.

For me this pretty much confirms PCB leak. 316mm² with 1/4th of cache and 256 bit coupled with fastest RAM available next year.

Tbh I like it better then speculated 350mm² Scarlett one.

Stuart360

You think its realistic to talk about 9 TF in 2021 basically when Pro came out in 2016 with 4.2TF?
Double the TF after 4 years?, yeah sure. We have had some whole gens not last much longer than that and hardware has jumped 8-10 times. 7tf is like 3.5 times PS4.
12tf, 14tf, etc is out of the question, and always was, but i think 9-10tf is more than realstic.

bitbydeath

Ahem

hqdefault.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

We've been through this many times. They are two different architectures and 9TF RDNA will be equivalent to ~12 TF GCN.

The DF talk about GPU TF not being the focus and Cerny conversations about "smart" power should be taken as a big clue where things are heading.

MadAnon

As I parroted it non-stop. Those double digit TF kaijus were unrealistic dreams. There's reason why there's total silence about gpu while SSD is being hyped up as the next big evolution.

Last edited:

Racer!

Double the TF after 4 years?, yeah sure. We have had some whole gens not last much longer than that and hardware has jumped 8-10 times. 7tf is like 3.5 times PS4.
12tf, 14tf, etc is out of the question, and always was, but i think 9-10tf is more than realstic.

My point is that its way to small of a bump in compute. Ampere and big Navi will come out in 2020, and the GPU landscape will look completely different.

bitbydeath

bitbydeath i have always liked your enthusiasm, but dont. 9-10tf is the peak we will get, and the consoles wont come close to 2080ti, or even standard 2080 levels.

None of the sub-10TF cards support Ray-Tracing. So it should be obvious we’re getting either the 5800 or 5900 since Ray-Tracing has already been confirmed.

Plus all those air vents on the dev kit aren’t there just for the fashion.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
DF Direct: PlayStation 5 Controller, UI, SSD News Reaction + Analysis

Based on this video it seems the RT is just going to be shadows and Ambient Occlusion which points to a weaker GPU. I was hoping we would get RT reflections like Control but according to them this thing wont have the horsepower. Control on my 2080ti looks incredible maxed with RT. Like really really good.

Seems an ~5700 with some weaker HW RT is what we can expect. Bummer.

LOL, you are a trip.

Last edited:

Stuart360

None of the sub-10TF cards support Ray-Tracing. So it should be obvious since Ray-Tracing has already been confirmed.
Well i was talking in terms of power, not ray tracing.
Also ray tracing is going to be a real hold back next gen, no matter how many dedicated cores the consoles have. I would rather they left ray tracing for the gen after to be honest, let hardware catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom