• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdo

Banned

Not really the same thing, since the Series X and PS5 HAVE to use specific (Expensive) storage to keep up with internal speeds.

Sony made proprietary Vita storage for NO reason, other than profiting off selling their own cards. Vita memory cards held no advantage at all over SD cards.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
That's any subscription service in a nutshell. But I agree that eventually, quality will suffer.
This has already happened once: the fall of consoles caused by Atari. Fortunately, Nintendo stepped up and saved the industry. Funny thing, you can't even bury digital copies of shitty games in a landslide.

The power difference is irrelevant. Microsoft has consistently had the most powerful console for each generation that it's released one, yet Microsoft has never won a console generation, even with a headstart of one year. Why does anyone expect any difference for the next generation? Furthermore, the in-engine trailers for the PS5 exclusives Outriders and Godfall look impressive enough to suffice as an appreaciable graphical leap over the current generation. The PS5 will be victorious yet again.

Pretty much sums it up . The games will do the talking

DaGwaphics

The power difference is irrelevant. Microsoft has consistently had the most powerful console for each generation that it's released one, yet Microsoft has never won a console generation, even with a headstart of one year. Why does anyone expect any difference for the next generation? Furthermore, the in-engine trailers for the PS5 exclusives Outriders and Godfall look impressive enough to suffice as an appreaciable graphical leap over the current generation. The PS5 will be victorious yet again.

Is there a special prize for playing on the "winning" console? Are games automatically more fun on the #1 box? Outriders and Godfall look pedestrian, if that's all they've got for next-gen they missed the mark (I'm confident they can do a lot better).

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

The memory bandwidth gap between XSX and PS5 increases with higher CPU usage

Scenario 1: Near GPU only memory access with maximum CPU-to-GPU fusion link usage and maximum respect CPU cache boundaries programming tricks

XSX GPU has 25% memory bandwidth advantage over PS5 GPU.

----

Scenario 2: Zen 2 CPU consumes 40 GB/s memory bandwidth which exceeds PS4 CPU's 20 GB/s memory access IO

Equivalent to PC CPU with 128 bit DDR3-2600

XSX GPU: 520 GB/s

XSX CPU: 40 GB/s

VS

PS5 GPU: 408 GB/s <---- below RX 5700 XT's 448 GB/s reference.

PS5 CPU: 40 GB/s

XSX GPU has 27.45% memory bandwidth advantage over PS5 GPU.

----

Scenario 3: Zen 2 CPU consumes 60 GB/s memory bandwidth which exceeds PS4 CPU's 20 GB/s memory access IO

Equivalent to PC CPU with 128 bit DDR4-3800

XSX GPU: 500 GB/s

XSX CPU: 60 GB/s

VS

PS5 GPU: 388 GB/s <---- below RX 5700 XT's 448 GB/s reference.

PS5 CPU: 60 GB/s

XSX GPU has 28.86% memory bandwidth advantage over PS5 GPU.

----

Scenario 4: Zen 2 CPU consumes 80 GB/s memory bandwidth which exceeds PS4 CPU's 20 GB/s memory access IO

Equivalent to PC CPU with 128 bit DDR4-5000 e.g. Corsair’s Vengeance LPX DDR4 5,000 MHz kit (pair of 8GB modules)

XSX GPU: 480 GB/s

XSX CPU: 80 GB/s

VS

PS5 GPU: 368 GB/s <---- below RX 5700 XT's 448 GB/s reference.

PS5 CPU: 80 GB/s

XSX GPU has 30.4% memory bandwidth advantage over PS5 GPU.

Only XSX can brute force like gaming PC with similar CPU and GPU specs.

Both X1X's and PS4 Pro's Jaguar CPUs have less compute intensity when compared to a proper desktop PC CPU which is included in both XSX and PS5.
The number of items DMA'ing on these half-duplex memory setups (256bit for PS5 and 192bit or 320bit for xsX) with lots and lots of isochronous traffic - that cares more about getting access than size of bandwidth -will be far more complex than the narrative of XsX like PC wins. In reality this is a highly complex communication issue with lots of lots of bandwidth wastage and critical path traffic stalling other communication. Typically simpler wins out in throughput.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Is there a special prize for playing on the "winning" console? Are games automatically more fun on the #1 box? Outriders and Godfall look pedestrian, if that's all they've got for next-gen they missed the mark (I'm confident they can do a lot better).
PlayStation exclusives are more numerous, varied, and imaginative than those of any other platform, which makes them more luring than Xbox's offerings. All Xbox has are Halo and Geaes if War; otherwise, it's just a multiplatform machine, and guess what? Multiplatform games can be played on PlayStation. A counter argument could be that Microsoft has bought 15 new development studios, but their track records don't match those of Sony's first-party studios; also, I've read that they're going to make mostly double-A and indie-quality games. Finally, I have a PC, so Xbox is redundant.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was explained in this video why Lisa Su said that Cerny is trying to revolutionize gaming.

PS5 architecture is next-gen. No doubt developers are so excited about it.

What a wonderful video! But you need to watch it at the speed of 1.25x. He's worse than Paul.

The details there are so enormous and very well explained. One of the best videos out there.

Last edited:

Audiophile

No thanks, I think I'll stay and continue to shit on secret sauce theories.

"Secret sauce" is a straw man argument.

The sauce isn't a secret, it's there for all to see.

Are there fanboys going overboard? Yes.

Is the XSX more powerful in Compute? Yes.. Are there people such as myself making technical arguments as to why that gap is somewhat mitigated by differences in design approach? Also, yes.

Conflating everyone to serve your narrative doesn't help anyone.

A fast SSD doesn't make up for the compute difference, but any well-reasoned posts I see around GAF, REE or B3D are saying they feel the relatively small compromise Sony made in raw power is worth it for the gains made elsewhere.

While there are of course outliers I see very few people on the Sony side of the fence saying "the SSD directly makes up for the lack of teraflops" or "the PS5 is as/more powerful than the XSX" but I see plenty of people on the MS side countering these points which are barely being made, if it all..

Regarding both of those points, what I see more often is "the SSD is more of a priority for Sony than teraflops; and for me too" or "the PS5 is less powerful than XSX but design differences mean the real world gap is smaller than the teraflop gap would suggest".

People are literally making up extremes or amplifying rare extremes to support their own extremes. While most discussion is happening in the middle and anyone trying to make a nuanced case is caught in the crossfire, mistaken as a fanboy.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Man... I really hope this is true. How credible is the person in this video?

3rd party's/multiplats not taking advantage of the unique features due to it being extra coding is my major concern looking forward.

I keep reading or hearing that and I must say, by the very nature of how technologically different nextgen will be, that line of reasoning may not hold. It holds for current gen, but may not for nextgen simply due to ease of development and the highly advanced engineering not found in current gen consoles but I could be wrong and I’m not a software/hardware engineer for Sony/MS 🍻.

rnlval

The number of items DMA'ing on these half-duplex memory setups (256bit for PS5 and 192bit or 320bit for xsX) with lots and lots of isochronous traffic - that cares more about getting access than size of bandwidth -will be far more complex than the narrative of XsX like PC wins. In reality this is a highly complex communication issue with lots of lots of bandwidth wastage and critical path traffic stalling other communication. Typically simpler wins out in throughput.
Both Zen 2 CPU and RDNA GPU has large multi-MB caches to minimize context switch overheads with the memory controllers.

XSX is already delivering RTX 2080 class result with 2 weeks raw Gears 5 port's benchmark at PC Ultra settings.

RX 5600's reduced 192 bit bus hit was relatively minor. If you scale Saphire RX 5600 XT (7.9 TFLOPS average), PS5's 10.28 TFLOPS GPU still lands on very close to RTX 2070 Super and above RX 5700 XT (average 9.66 TFLOPS) i.e. 130% level.

Scaling TP's results to XSX's GPU power lands between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super range.

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just hope the new PS5 is really much easier to develop so it can ease up those crunches reported from the likes of Naughty Dog. Full ray tracing should've been a time saving tech, but we're still not there yet, maybe mid gen or later gen (after next gen).

draliko

I just hope the new PS5 is really much easier to develop so it can ease up those crunches reported from the likes of Naughty Dog. Full ray tracing should've been a time saving tech, but we're still not there yet, maybe mid gen or later gen (after next gen).
crunching has nothing to do with ease of programming, is simple bad time management 99% of time.

scie

Chrunching at Naughty Dog... definately not the best thing and it has nothing to do with complexity.

draliko

Actually bad programming CAN be related with crunching. Thats not mean 'crunching' is created by bad programming, just one of the reasons, not the main or unique reason.
more or less, crunching is primary done because you have tight time windows or because you tried to chew more than you can manage. Bad programming can lead to loss of time to rewrite something but considering that nearly every studio nowadays uses a varierty of 3rd party tools or engines, it's not the problem of bad programming it's the problem of bad programmers. Crunching come often as a form of toxic studio culture (and nd seems likely) especially in part of the world where unions are not a reality, i can't imagine work times in the numerous chinese studios considering nearly every big player outsource arts to them. As i said it's the not the problem of easy of programming per se (this impact only the first part of the project, before you get the hang of the machine) it's about time, because throwing people at a problem doesn't always resolve it quicker (9 woman can't make a baby in 1 month). Sorry for my english btw, not a native speaker :)

SonGoku

On paper, I would give Beyond Good and Evil 2 the title of "the most ambitious title" out there. I'm really excited how it turns out, I hope Ubisoft delivers. Early gameplay looks like shit though, but I hope it gets polished further.
Looks promising but i don't trust ubisoft anymore they always lie with these trailers
So, what about this one :

The GPU has reduced the “time-to-triangle” from PS4’s 1-2 months to less than a month.

hzfkumY.jpg

Can we expect faster game development or making bigger games for less amount of time?
While time to triangle is lower (time to create an engine that takes advantage of the hardware) the bigger scope and more detailed visuals will take more time as well. I expect same if not slightly longer dev times for AAA games

icerock

Trying to distill the PS5 SSD to just raw performance is completely missing the mark. Tech to leverage more performance out of storage drives have been in existence for decades, on PC you can put two drives in RAID 0 to extract more performance. As far as only storage is concerned, Sony aren't doing something unique. They are simply using 12 separate channels and attaching them each with separate storage modules to reach those speeds. Its a more expensive solution but it's only a prelude to the actual interesting stuff they have done for SSD. And, that is all baked onto the APU.

Sony will be fine as long as PS5 is $399. It doesnt matter what Phil can do at that msrp.

Otherwise, any higher or unable to undercut MS msrp, Mark Sony may have to spend the entire gen spinning up why he delievered an underpowered console without an underpowered price.

Sony will be 'fine' even if they sell PS5 at a $100 premium to Series X. Case in point, PS3, which outsold cheaper and more powerful Xbox 360 every single month on the market once it launched. That too at a time when MS actually had a very strong stable of unique (and popular) IPs which is something they are trying to re-establish in last few years. Games will always push consoles, even if price is prohibitive for many early on.

And if Sony actually do price the PS5 at your suggested MRP of $399, then they'd literally be killing both Series X and a cheaper equivalent in Lockhart ($299?). In such a scenario they'll be more than 'fine', they'd be looking at PS4 level of revenue once again.

Is there a special prize for playing on the "winning" console? Are games automatically more fun on the #1 box?

It just makes one feel better about the choice of console they bought, that's it. Same reason you see folks get titled on exclusives discussion.

I suspect many of these folks are quite young, when they have a disposal income and they buy all the boxes, they'll realize how irrelevant all of this actually is.

Last edited:

SonGoku

It was explained in this video why Lisa Su said that Cerny is trying to revolutionize gaming.

Timestamp please

edit
Weird he theorizes PS5/SEX use 7nm+ (EUV) based on SRAM used in the IO which is listed as 7nm+ part on Synopsis site
This contradicts the (official?) info we have on consoles using enhanced/pro nodes which are still DUV only

Last edited:
Maybe for a year if it worry's some people that don't understand scaling of a game but the PS5 will have to share graphics with 9.2 TF for 5- 7 years.

Scaling between a 1.3tflop XB1 and 12tflop XsX is going to seriously gimp Series X games surely? The games you will be playing will be literally upscaled XB1 games with better performance and effects. PS5's exclusives will make these games look a gen apart if you pay attention to the details.

The decision to gimp all Series X games for 2 years and surrender-logic behind putting everything on more powerful PCs will be a disaster.

Fake

more or less, crunching is primary done because you have tight time windows or because you tried to chew more than you can manage. Bad programming can lead to loss of time to rewrite something but considering that nearly every studio nowadays uses a varierty of 3rd party tools or engines, it's not the problem of bad programming it's the problem of bad programmers. Crunching come often as a form of toxic studio culture (and nd seems likely) especially in part of the world where unions are not a reality, i can't imagine work times in the numerous chinese studios considering nearly every big player outsource arts to them. As i said it's the not the problem of easy of programming per se (this impact only the first part of the project, before you get the hang of the machine) it's about time, because throwing people at a problem doesn't always resolve it quicker (9 woman can't make a baby in 1 month). Sorry for my english btw, not a native speaker :)

Yes. They're related. Game Freak is one of those example. Because of their tool with make hard export 3DS models to Switch. This not only made crushing, but actually created a rushed game as well.

Again, I not saying 'bad programming' result in crush. Just that 'bad programming' can be one of the reasons to create crushing. They're many reason. With one is with, its up to devs split their bullshit to Kotaku or not.

Just my take about this. Crushing was a old culture in game dev for a long time, but for some reason, some game journalists choise whatever they make public or not.
Maybe they get paid, maybe to promove their politic viewpoint or maybe someone just split part of the story without context.
I don't care. Crushing are a shit culture, but I find even more shit gamesites hide seletive crushing.

Last edited:
I mean... 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦
Ecrd58T.jpg
EtAr2EN.jpg
If we consider an RTX 2070 Super vs a 2080 TI we have an average of 20-30 fps more at least as far as I know, and at 1080 p. If someone has others benchmarks let me know.
However we are not talking about two similar build GPUs at all, nor two identical set-up and software but with just two different GPUs, so here we are again.
If both target 60 fps the difference isn't that much if you scale down some things, you can gain huge fps increase with minimal impact on visuals at this point.
Edit: the difference is 2 TF so much less than 2070 Super vs 2080 TI, where the difference should be around 4-5 TFs. So yeah, nor 40-50 or 20-30 seems correct at all.

Last edited:
I remember the Rage comparisons between 360 and PS3. Blu-Ray ended up being the savior for PS3 :messenger_tears_of_joy: Can't we expect something similar with Sony's crazy SSD tech?

Johnny Carmack: "...PS3 version will look slightly better due to more storage space for high-resolution textures, thanks to Blu-ray Disc’s 50GB capacity. “All of the key scenes, the things anyone is going to take a screenshot of are going to look exactly the same on both platforms. They’ll get the high-quality compression,” said Carmack. “But if you go into some areas in the wasteland, like behind a fence where nobody will typically go and explore, this is where the 360 version may look a little blurry compared to the PS3.”
I could've sworn though when the dev's got used to the PS3 machine at the end of cycle that the games like Last of Us were killing 360 in fidelity. Also Just like Blu Ray, I bet a fast SSD will be the standard for this and after next generation PC's and consoles. Everyone will adopt Sony's SSD implementation if it works as it is supposed to. Dont count the pioneers of the same disc drive that are in every Xbox. Hell MS from what I've read had to scramble to get their SSD plan right due to possibly being surprised by Sony on that front. I bet they both had to adjust to each other once they caught wind. Sony with TF change (thanks AMD leaker) and MS with SSD speed changes.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If we consider an RTX 2070 Super vs a 2080 TI we have an average of 20-30 fps more at least as far as I know, and at 1080 p. If someone has others benchmarks let me know.
However we are not talking about two similar build GPUs at all, nor two identical set-up and software but with just two different GPUs, so here we are again.
If both target 60 fps the difference isn't that much if you scale down some things, you can gain huge fps increase with minimal impact on visuals at this point.
Edit: the difference is 2 TF so much less than 2070 Super vs 2080 TI, where the difference should be around 4-5 TFs. So yeah, nor 40-50 or 20-30 seems correct at all.

Why are you comparing a 2070 super to a 2080 Ti?

SonGoku

, PS5's 10.28 TFLOPS GPU still lands on very close to RTX 2070 Super and above RX 5700 XT (average 9.66 TFLOPS) i.e. 130% level
Scaling TP's results to XSX's GPU power lands between RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super range.
Since RDNA delivers essentially same performance per tflop as Turing wouldn't that put PS5 at RTX2080 level
SEX in between 2080S and 2080Ti

RTX 2070S​
9TF​
RTX 2080​
10TF​
PS5
10-10.28TF
RTX 2080S​
11.15TF​
SEX
12.1TF
RTX 2080 Ti​
13.45 TF​

This guy says something very interesting about the XSX form factor (27:20).

He says the XSX form factor will be appealing to the PC users in general but the console audience will find it bulky and awkward.

It is clear that MS wanted to transmit Power with its monolithic design and I am pretty sure the PS5 form factor will try to trasmit Speed.

:) 👇

GEKAHp1.gif

Last edited:
Why are you comparing a 2070 super to a 2080 Ti?
Because I remember the difference was somewhat comparable and I was wrong by a long shot, the difference in TFs is around double compared to that of PS5 and SeX, either way 40-50 fps are an absurd hyperbole. By GPU alone 10 fps should be far more reasonable and it's really nothing that's can't be scaled with few things.

Last edited:
Since RDNA delivers essentially same performance per tflop as Turing wouldn't that put PS5 at RTX2080 level

RTX 2070S​
9TF​
RTX 2080​
10TF​
PS5
10-10.28TF
RTX 2080S​
11.15TF​
SEX
12.1TF
RTX 2080 Ti​
13.45 TF​
Yes, of course RDNA2 should put PS5 GPU over a GPU like the 2070 S, at least in theory.

rnlval

RTX 2070S​
9TF​
RTX 2080​
10TF​
PS5
10-10.28TF
RTX 2080S​
11.15TF​
SEX
12.1TF
RTX 2080 Ti​
13.45 TF​
You didn't use real-life average clock speed for Turings

RTX 2080 FE has 1897 Mhz average which is ~11.66 TFLOPS

RTX 2080 FE has 1897 Mhz average which is ~11.79 TFLOPS

RTX 2080 Ti FE has 1824 Mhz average which is ~15.88 TFLOPS

rnlval

Yes, of course RDNA2 should put PS5 GPU over a GPU like the 2070 S, at least in theory.
My gaming PC's GPU

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio has 1926 Mhz average which is ~16.76 TFLOPS

I don't buy reference cards.

Ptarmiganx2

So how many days of coronavirus isolation before some of us start to "turn?" I don't WANT to be a zombie! Nooooooooooo!
Looking good in the United States. I want to see how the next 2 days go. Exponential growth curve broke. We had a 29 percent increase in cases on 3/26 and only 8.5 percent 3/27. Actual number of cases is 4 - 7 times higher, but we are not antibody testing so we miss mild or asymptomatic cases that are recovered. I’m an integrated med doc for the DOD, I get updated non-stop.

Last edited:
My gaming PC's GPU

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio has 1926 Mhz average which is ~16.76 TFLOPS

I don't buy reference cards.
I would like to know what are the averages for a 2070 S at this point.

Disco_

I'll bite.

0CpDcAg.jpg

Math: File to load / SSD IO / compression ratio.

For XSX, 2GB / 2.4 / 1.92= 0.43 seconds (general)

For XSX, 2GB / 2.4 / 2.5 = 0.33 seconds (textures target, BCpack's "more than 6GB/s")
Isn't BCPack is already accounted for in the 4.8gb/s and 6.0gb/s figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom