• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5, but people forgot ( and probably you too ) what he said 3 months ago :

Jason Schreier in Kotaku Podcast: "Next-gen consoles are more powerful than an RTX 2080...I am pretty sure but don't hold me accountable." (5 Dec 2019)

Yes, which means nothing.
PS5 could be still more powerful than 2080 and yet be a bit less powerful than SeX and definetly inferior to, say, 12.5/13 TF some people are picturing in their wet fantasies.
I'm really tired of people who wants to find dirty shit in vague statements. You DO NOT KNOW. Accept it and move on.

Last edited:

M-V2

For people who are saying that TF is not the main factor, if both consoles are twins or the ps5 is a bit faster then the SX will be still more powerful and will do more than the PS5 end of discussion. Until Sony shows something that way better the MS machine then I would say hmmm interesting...

whoever81

t1584547200z4.png
Why don't they livestream it on YouTube? With countdown timer etc.

PS5 is 13.3Teraflops, the only way it isn't is if they reduce clocks in which case it will still be 12. something and the reduced clocks are because the cooling solution was too expensive or not as effective as promised. That is fact.
Or the just needed the expensive cooling for some fancy little design.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Maybe o'dium (or other dev on here) can confirm, but with hardware-accelerated ray tracing the GPU flops should not matter that much when it comes down to getting RT to work?

Yes and no. If the RT isn’t hardware based then yes it absolutely matters. If it’s dedicated, then no, you’re fine. That’s what the SX “12+13tf” bullshit came from. They can essentially draw 12tf or power, and then on top of that use 13tf of DXR as well, but the 13tf of DXR can’t be used to up the speed of the base power.

Mr Moose

He said PlayStation console warriors sad, not fans, so its not going to be 13TF+.
I still have hope it isn't shitty GitHub or less numbers.

Yes, which means nothing.
PS5 could be still more powerful than 2080 and yet be a bit less powerful than SeX and definetly inferior to, say, 12.5/13 TF some people are picturing in their wet fantasies.
I'm really tired of people who wants to find dirty shit in vague statements. You DO NOT KNOW. Accept it and move on.

So, XSX is more powerful than 2080. So, what's the problem? Btw. you BELIEVED what he said in previous tweet "
Dammit Jason.
Accept that he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5, but it is more powerful than 2080. Move on

icerock

Let’s also not forget that right now there is a surge of fans moaning about 13.bollock speeds.

Jason could be saying it’s more like 12.4, as Osiris said, and that would upset a shit load of people too expecting the next coming of Christ.

So that tweet can still be read in any which way.

I agree, his tweet can be read in a number of ways according to ones own bias and it would still hold true.

Maybe he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5, but people forgot ( and probably you too ) what he said 3 months ago :

Jason Schreier in Kotaku Podcast: "Next-gen consoles are more powerful than an RTX 2080...I am pretty sure but don't hold me accountable." (5 Dec 2019)

Cmon dude, Schreier knows what he's doing here. He has a fuck ton of sources at his disposal, something which wasn't privy to him yesterday, would be today. That RTX2080 comment was probably an explanation some dev provided to him about power, don't take it at face value. The mantra was, they are 'future proofing' it, as in it'll have substantial amount of power, to last 6-7 years.

Besides, that is a 11.4TF card. I don't know about you, but you can believe o'dium source of PS5 landing at 11.6TF. I prefer to remain skeptical still.

Last edited:
Don't know why people making a big deal about jason predications .
He does not know the TF but either way what he saying is true some PS4 fans will be disappoint no matter what .
Like if PS5 does end up 11.6 that is great but some fans want it to beat XB no matter what .

Last edited:
I agree, his tweet can be read in a number of ways according to ones own bias and it would still hold true.

Cmon dude, Schreier knows what he's doing here. He has a fuck ton of sources at his disposal, something which wasn't privy to him yesterday, would be today. That RTX2080 comment was probably an explanation some dev provided to him about power, don't take it at face value. The mantra was, they are 'future proofing' it, as in it'll have substantial amount of power, to last 6-7 years.

Besides, that is a 11.4TF card. I don't know about you, but you can believe o'dium source of PS5 landing at 11.6TF. I prefer to remain skeptical still.

So, but Xbox fans could take it as a face value and look where is XSX. So, i can't take it as face value for PS5. Got it.

If it is sub 10.5 that is bad for gamers. From a mainly Sony gamer I'll be disappointed I won't be able to play my favourite games at anywhere near the pinnacle of console power.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Maybe you should get hired at MS, because those engineers CLEARLY dont know what they are doing!

I'm not a system design engineer, but it's hardly outside the realm of possibility for engineers to design a system with a certain design or idea. No products have EVER been compromised before with split memory or a funky design of say SPU processors or anything, right? :)

Maybe you can try an intelligent discussion and contribution instead of snark? I'm asking a genuine question here, not being a console warrior or anything. Settle down, Sparky!

Good, both consoles will be great.
Ill enjoy my Series X, some of my mates will enjoy their PS5s. Hopefully we finally move from this "my dick is 0.1tf bigger than yours" narrative. Its tiresome.

This is it guys ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ with crossplay finally getting its big push where your friends play doesn’t even matter anymore. It’s really just what games you want to play, what ecosystem, and maybe controller preference, but scuff can change that so. Where’s the war???

So, XSX is more powerful than 2080. So, what's the problem? Btw. you BELIEVED what he said in previous tweet " Accept that he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5, but it is more powerful than 2080. Move on
I have no problem in Xbox beign over 2080.
I don't believe anything, I joke over this shit, grow up. I don't know what Jason meant, I don't know him for sure, you don't either. Yes, AS HE SAID, he didn't know the exact number YESTERDAY, because today he posted something about it now he COULD know, it's nothing crazy, it can happen that people receive infos, you know? It doesn't take one week to receive a message, it's 2020 goddamit.
And again, if he doesn't know, he didn't say anything contrary here: PS5 may delude some fans, like not reaching 13 o even 12 TF, still better than 2080.
Got it?

Stuart360

If it is sub 10.5 that is bad for gamers. From a mainly Sony gamer I'll be disappointed I won't be able to play my favourite games at anywhere near the pinnacle of console power.
It would still be like 6 times PS4, and thats not taking into account RDNA2. A lot of people thought we wouldnt even be getting 10tf GCN not long ago.

Last edited:

icerock

So, but Xbox fans could take it as a face value and look where is XSX. So, i can't take it as face value for PS5. Got it.

Only because, a number of website ran with the 12TF figure after TGA reveal, even Spencer while not being explicit, said the same. We knew where Series X was at, the main takeaway of that quote from Schreier, was that both are plenty powerful and last 6-7 years.

You could take the figure at face value if we'd hear anything about PS5 in that ballpark, but it has all been Github and ~9TF, they are not the one and same situation.

Good news for you, he still thinks that quote holds true....

Last edited:
I have no problem in Xbox beign over 2080.
I don't believe anything, I joke over this shit, grow up. I don't know what Jason meant, I don't know him for sure, you don't either. Yes, AS HE SAID, he didn't know the exact number YESTERDAY, because today he posted something about it now he COULD know, it's nothing crazy, it can happen that people receive infos, you know? It doesn't take one week to receive a message, it's 2020 goddamit.
And again, if he doesn't know, he didn't say anything contrary here: PS5 may delude some fans, like not reaching 13 o even 12 TF, still better than 2080.
Got it?

Maybe he doesn't believe that Sony is capable to push PS5 up to 13 TF? Or it is even possible??? Like he said that he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5. Got it?

It would still be like 7 times PS4, and thats not taking into account RDNA2. A lot of people thought we wouldnt even be getting 10tf GCN not long ago.

Sure but that's irrelevant when you k
Isn't it the games that matter?

Yes 100% and I'll still love those games but it is nicer to play them at higher frames and higher res with higher textures.

For me I'd rather spend an extra 100 to get the better machine is all. Again the Xbox TF don't matter if they don't make any good games for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom