• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
stop coping. PS fans have never given any reason to believe they will be totally fine without having a power edge. I was here for 2013 when it was revealed that the ps4 had a power edge.
PS fans are fine with not having the edge in power.

The 2013 was a bit different PS4 had the edge and it was $100 cheaper.
Price played a big role.

11.x TFs will make Xbox fans pee on their paints.

Last edited:

Stuart360

11.6TFs will make the other side cry not PS fans.
How would it?. The backtracking has already started and we dont even have specs yet. This very thread is 80% posts from both sides arguing over which will be more powerful, and paranoid desperation over having no confirmation. The gifs and pics since yesterday already celebrating a PS5 'win', have been endless.
If PS5 ends up more powerful, you will all be celebrating like you have won the lottery, so dont start the salty backtracking and revisionist history if it ends up less powerful.
Take it on the chin, like Xbox fans had to this gen. This stuff goes in cycles.

On Demand

Banned
I still can’t get over how little has changed in the SX controller... That’s one area Sony have really one upped MS, if nothing else. I actually think the new SX controller looks boring compared to the current one even... So weird.
I prefer the Xbox controller, but I like the ps4 one, so yeah. It’s just shocking they just didn’t pay any attention to the controller at all.

I was at least expecting motion control, you know? Because that’s pretty awesome in the switch. But... nothing. A share button, a new dpad, a few dimples on the triggers, smaller and removed top ridge... that seems really lazy to me. Just IMO of course, but it seems like such a waste of time, and so backwards

Now in the flip side, the feature of the ps5 controller may not be even used that much. Nobody uses the touch pad at all, the speaker I’ve only heard a couple of times etc. And those feedback triggers, they just sound like they would annoy me after a while, and would be turned off.

But still... you have to give sony credit for improving an already good foundation.

I think it’s because of the elite controller why they can’t change or add too much.

How would it look if the regular Xbox controller has more new features than their $200 one? A more expensive controller lacking things a $70 controller has would make no sense.

MS is kind of stuck with the simple base controller design and features because of the premium elite.

Reindeer

The Day of Truth

Who shall prevail? Who will take the biggest L in 2020 after stock markets? Will it be:

• RDX and their stinky fanboys
• GitHub diehards
• Or GAF majority

Find out on the next episode of SuperCharged Console 2 with your boy Mark Cerny .

M-V2

So Jason is basically debunking everything Sony related what Tommy said?
He is debunking himself, he said both consoles are aiming above Stadia numbers (10.7tf) then he said both have similar specs & both are aiming to be more powerful than rtx2080, yesterday he said he don't know about the Teraflops in the PS5 & now he is saying Otherwise lol

I keep trying to tell you all... if you absolutely NEED the PS5 to beat the SX in pure flops, you’re going to walk away upset more than likely.

Think about the console “war” as an actual “war” this time. Flops in your naval fleet. But what about weaponry? Troop count and skill? Air support?

Flops is a single unit of measurement and not the be all end all.

Ive stuck by 11.6 and will stand by it. If you get an 11.6 machine with other shit I’ve talked about, you PlayStation fanboys will be crying... but you should be crying tears of joy, not sadness. Not once has my source even made insane claims, and trust me, he was in a position to be sucking the very juice off of sonys throbbing analog stick. He’s always given very realistic terms to me, starting with 10.5-11.5, hitting 11 with issues, and then 11.6 with a possible down lock if things didn’t change. That’s the last I heard, and I would assume that means either things got fixed (likely) or things didn’t (not so much but possible).

This gen is really interesting. It’s the most interesting launch I’ve been a part of.
I really don't care about a single number. Problem is, most people have like ZERO idea of all of this, they would take that single number and doing console war about 0.4 TF or whatever. The irony is that games could still perform better or equal on PS5, yet it could take a while before this shit stop.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

Price played a big role.

That was one fucked up time. I sat there with the wife and she turned to me and said “wait, it’s not as good as the playstation, and it’s more expensive? What’s the catch?”

The catch my dear was that hardly working bag of bollocks decapitated Johnny five under the tv...

Ugh... what a bad time to be an Xbox fan that was... BUT YOU CAN WATCH SPORTS.

THEAP99

Banned
How would it?. The backtracking has already started and we dont even have specs yet. This very thread is 80% posts from both sides arguing over which will be more powerful, and paranoid desperation over having no confirmation. The gifs and pics since yesterday already celebrating a PS5 'win', have been endless.
If PS5 ends up more powerful, you will all be celebrating like you have won the lottery, so dont start the salty backtracking and revisionist history if it ends up less powerful.
because people all over twitter and such have been riding with 9.2tf for months now. Anything in the double digits is a win IMO for team non-github and PlayStation

ethomaz

Banned
Because Xbox fans created the 9TFs narrative.
In this own thread all PS fans was never mad with 11.x TFs.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Price played a big role.

11.x TFs will make Xbox fans pee on their paints.

Depends of who you're talking.

Fans, sure.
Fanboys, nah.

And from all that have been hinted, i assume that this time around, power and price will be similar. Not that it's a bad thing for Sony, they clearly have the upper hand with a bigger fan base and brand name.

BatSu

PS5 11 TF + SSD + Cpu + RAM + IP'S SONY =

SamLake.gif

Reindeer

He is debunking himself, he said both consoles are aiming above Stadia numbers (10.7tf) then he said both have similar specs & both are aiming to be more powerful than rtx2080, yesterday he said he don't know about the Teraflops in the PS5 & now he is saying Otherwise lol
It could be 10.8 and he would still be right on both.

He could not know the exact number and still say that is 10.7+
SeX could be more powerfull yet PS5 could still be superior to an RTX 2080.
Now he's simply saying that some fanboys will not be happy, which could mean PS5 is 11.8 and call it a day for all we know.

Stuart360

Because Xbox fans created the 9TFs narrative.
They used leaked data. I mean i didnt believe it as i couldnt see that big a gap, i still dont (i think PS5 will be in the 11-13tf range), but its not like they used some Xbox Youtuber for the info, they used AMD leaks.

I'll be very disappointed not it's 9 or even low 10 TF. Not cause I'm a console warrior but because my favourite games are historically cony games and I'd like to play them in the bets possible quality and 9 or 10 TF isn't that.

ethomaz

Banned
They used leaked data. I mean i didnt believe it as i couldnt see that big a gap, i still dont (i think PS5 will be in the 11-13tf range), but its not like they used some Xbox Youtuber for the info, they used AMD leaks.
Actually the narrative was created in a Xbox discord without have any ideia of the “leaked” data means... the data was very old and just after they choose to use it as PS5 9TFs narrative the talk started months after the “leak”.

Even today there are some trying hard to make GitHub data to fit a more powerful PS5 because the data is basically unless for the intent they wanted and can means anything.

Even for Xbox the data was not accurate.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Btw. he also said this yesterday. So, he knows shit.

Like many people said here already, FLOPS ARE NOT THE MAIN FACTOR he might be right about flops being low, but the whole system might still be very powerful and excite developers. It is only SDF warriors that are concerned with flops and nothing else.

Dargor

I think you are seeing what you want to see. Most people on the sony side have said that they dont care about the power edge, they are happy with 11.6.

They only rose against the 9.2 number because that is a big difference that will actually affect how games look.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

mostly due to this I assume

Lmao he literally said yesterday he doesn't know the PS5 teraflop number and so for "playstation console warriors sad" wasn't it Xbox fanboys who start pushing and trolling people with TF power narrative ever since Github? Jason is off his rocker lol

Reindeer

Like many people said here already, FLOPS ARE NOT THE MAIN FACTOR he might be right about flops being low, but the whole system might still be very powerful and excite developers. It is only SDF warriors that are concerned with flops and nothing else.
Tflops will matter, especially when it comes to Ray Tracing.

Maybe, but just maybe, if he is tweeting a different thing the next day it's because NOW he knows?
Just saying, eh. Otherwise he isn't fake, he stright up has Alzheimer. You all read into it too much.
Maybe he thinks 13 is too high?

Maybe he doesn't know exact TF numbers for PS5, but people forgot ( and probably you too ) what he said 3 months ago :

Jason Schreier in Kotaku Podcast: "Next-gen consoles are more powerful than an RTX 2080...I am pretty sure but don't hold me accountable." (5 Dec 2019)

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

I mean, something between 10.7tf and 12 tf and he's correct, right? Besides, i do believe he's not the only one that mentioned it's not only about tf's.

Nonetheless, it's the BC part that speaks volumes. You can argue that tf numbers change, so, it's easy to understand why the numbers were incorrect. But the lack of BC? Either he has access to classified info that Jason sources don't or he lied, plain and simple.

Also, he never explained what "Project Infinity" was, which made me believe that he was just ridding along the Cboat hint.

Dodkrake

Banned
I'll stand firm:

Both consoles are basically twins, with minor differences. I don't really care if any of them has a GPU edge of ~10% (last gen was more than 30%) and will deliver my final prediction:

52 or 54 CU's
11.2TF
1TB SSD (faster than Xbox)
"Regular" console form factor
20GB RAM (16GB dedicated, 4GB slower for system)

At the very least I believe 10.8TF, at most 13.2TF (not gonna happen).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom