• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Delayed By Price Wars Not Covid-19

Both Sony and MS have delayed announcing the price of their consoles which leaves many gamers confused.

The Truth of the matter is, I don't think It's the Covid-19 pandemic that's delaying these console reveals and events.
I believe both are waiting for the other to announce a price first.

MS may win this because Sony have a lot more to show and the pressure is on them to get more information about their console out.
For better or worst, MS have shown so much more compared to Sony. I'm sure I'm not the only one losing faith in PS5 because of the lack of confidence by Sony to announce anything.

fermcr

Normally Microsoft go first in these things. They generally don't wait for the competition.
... but now, I think they are waiting for Sony so they can heavily undercut the price of the console. Sony is expectant, knowing they can't have a console much more expensive then the Xbox.

So... it's the waiting game. Sony waiting for Microsoft so they can adjust the price accordingly, and Microsoft waiting for Sony so they can present the cheapest console (Sony doesn't want a repeat of the PS3/Xbox360 era).

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Its pretty hard not to say that Covid impacted both of these launches.

Whether is messaging, announcement delays, etc. It will certainly impact stock and availability of software title at launch.

There are things both have done well...and even more that each have done poorly in the lead up.

The price likely will be a interesting announcement (if we ever get it), but a $100 variance ($400 or $500) likely won't prevent anyone of this site getting their console of choice. What will impact it though is a availability. Sony and XBox will have very few units to sell in 2020.

Fbh

I still wonder if things like an early price announcement are that important anymore.
Phones cost like twice as much as consoles and usually come packed with a bunch of new features too, and they tend to get announced and priced like a month or 2 before release.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Both Sony and MS have delayed announcing the price of their consoles which leaves many gamers confused.

The Truth of the matter is, I don't think It's the Covid-19 pandemic that's delaying these console reveals and events.
I believe both are waiting for the other to announce a price first.

MS may win this because Sony have a lot more to show and the pressure is on them to get more information about their console out.
For better or worst, MS have shown so much more compared to Sony. I'm sure I'm not the only one losing faith in PS5 because of the lack of confidence by Sony to announce anything.

Your thread title-fu is weak.

Next-gen hasn't been delayed at all.

Portugeezer

Or it doesn't matter as much to announce the price months in advance. It would be nice, but knowing it now or later, I'm still going to preorder...

Who cares about the price, these systems will cost $399-$599 and they will come out before Dec 2020 so stop the whining about pricing and a release date.

Them announcing the official launch line/2021 games and seeing the games that are actually running on both consoles is what is most important right now.

Honestly never thought the price for either console would still be an unknown this close to the end of the year. It's just gotten stupid at this point.

I don't agree, a lot of companies don't announce the price for products months out. Look at apple and also what Nintendo did with the Switch launch.

Historically this isn't common for console launches but remember we are in a pandemic so things are not going to be the same as before.

It's 100% on Sony. Sony is the market leader. They undercut and humiliated MS last time after MS announced first.

MS has focused on rebuilding and trying to correct mistakes. They are running as an alternative to the market leader.

Sony are being very shady and cowardly about this whole reveal. I don't blame MS at all on this one.

I don't agree, a lot of companies don't announce the price for products months out. Look at apple and also what Nintendo did with the Switch launch.

Historically this isn't common for console launches but remember we are in a pandemic so things are not going to be the same as before.
Can't wait for NEO 4

TwiztidElf

Doesn't make sense to me.
If Sony announce $599, then MS say $499, why can't Sony just revise the price?
"In response to market competition we've revised the price to $499.
It means that we're making a smaller margin* on each sale, but we've made this tough decision to stay competitive."

*market speak - I'm assuming they wouldn't want to announce to market that they're loss leading if they are.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nintendo Switch revealed their price what 6 weeks before it launched, and it did amazingly fine.
I don't care about the hand held market. Most of us just want to secure a pre order. Each day that goes by raises the value of the pre order drawing more and more scalpers. I really want a scalpers paradise sure. Sony needs to announce they are the dominant force in the market and need to set pricing.

bboris77

Neo Member
One thing I am really worried about when it comes to the price of these consoles is if both companies collude to price-gouge people because of COVID. I hope this does not happen, but we have seen prices of EVERYTHING increase significantly here in Canada despite common sense dictating that this should not be so in a time of economic crisis. I guess some companies are really trying to milk the middle class. I am actually very thankful for competition between Sony and Microsoft in this field because at least there is a chance that they will drive each other's price down.

Sony, the company thats sold close to 500 million gaming devices and the constant market leader, absolutely terrified of announcing the price before Microsoft. Amazing.
I really don't see how they're the market leader when they always trail behind Micro in Money but you keep that dream alive little Timmy.

Last edited:
I don't care about the hand held market. Most of us just want to secure a pre order. Each day that goes by raises the value of the pre order drawing more and more scalpers. I really want a scalpers paradise sure. Sony needs to announce they are the dominant force in the market and need to set pricing.

Don't see how them announcing the price will stop scalpers :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Scalpers will only be a problem if their isn't enough units to sell out the gate

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well its kind of still is related to COVID, in current situation and economy, no one is willing to pay $800/700 or even $600 for gaming system.

Unknown?

just be ready to spend $100 north or south of $500. I know for some people that's a lot of money, not saying it isn't for me, but i've been putting aside since the announcement and am ready.
Right now my Pro gets $175 at gamestop and when new consoles launch they typically have trade in promotions that pay out more so while a lot, I will get a significant portion reduced.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Sony and Microsoft are just waiting for the next stimulus checks to drop, "free" consoles for everyone.

Well its kind of still is related to COVID, in current situation and economy, no one is willing to pay $800/700 or even $600 for gaming system.

If I had to guess both companies were going to price these systems at $599-$799 but once the pandemic hit they realized they will probably sell less units then they anticipated and both are now back to the drawing board and trying figuring out how to lower the cost or how to justify it, which is probably why sony is doing the "invite only" for pre-orders as a tactic to push the perceived value of the console.

Last edited:

skneogaf

It's purely down to how it happened last time, Sony waited for Microsoft who used to go first at E3 and just knocked 100 dollars off.

This time Microsoft has learnt to wait so both are trying to force the other to go.

If xbox is first and playstation can go cheaper it's doom for xbox if Sony go first it's a little bit better for xbox which Sony don't want.

If xbox goes first and is too cheap then Microsoft lose too much money on each console.

I hope xbox waits till playstation price is announced as playstation will obviously win again but its definitely better for the industry if its closer this time as competition is good.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Everyone is just guessing.

My guess is, only MS are trying to price war.. Sony is waiting for their own reasons.

But only thing "delayed" are pre-orders, and price / release date announcements. Incredibly normal for any other industry on the planet to not know that shit many months in advanced.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm not sure about Xbox, but I suspect Playstation don't want to give a price until SW Squadrons has had two weeks to sell 10Million copies and sell a shed load of later adopter PS4's and PS4 Pro's and maybe clear all PSVR stock - to make way for PSVR2.

With 100million customers PS5 could bundle PSVR2 for the limited pre-order list and set the price at £850 and at least 5-10million people will probably want it like that. Then they could unbundle VR and match or undercut whatever price the XsX is doing.

Top Bottom