• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Acts to Mandate $15 Minimum Wage in Fast Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The labor protest movement that fast-food workers in New York City began nearly three years ago has led to higher wages for workers all across the country. On Wednesday, it paid off for the people who started it.

A panel appointed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo recommended on Wednesday that the minimum wage be raised for employees of fast-food chain restaurants throughout the state to $15 an hour over the next few years. Wages would be raised faster in New York City than in the rest of the state to account for the higher cost of living there.

The panel’s recommendations, which are expected to be put into effect by an order of the state’s acting commissioner of labor, represent a major triumph for the advocates who have rallied burger-flippers and fry cooks to demand pay that covers their basic needs. They argued that taxpayers were subsidizing the workforces of some multinational corporations, like McDonald’s, that were not paying enough to keep their workers from relying on food stamps and other welfare benefits.

The $15 wage would represent a raise of more than 70 percent for workers earning the state’s current minimum wage of $8.75 an hour. Advocates for low-wage workers said they believed the mandate would quickly spur pay raises for employees in other industries across the state, and a jubilant Mr. Cuomo predicted that other states would follow his lead.

“When New York acts, the rest of the states follow,” said Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, citing the state’s passage of the law making same-sex marriage legal. “We’ve always been different, always been first, always been the most progressive.”

The decision, announced in a conference room in Lower Manhattan, set off a raucous celebration by hundreds of workers and union leaders outside.

Flavia Cabral, 53, a grandmother from the Bronx who works part-time in a McDonald’s for $8.75 an hour, pointed out the scars where fry baskets had seared her forearms. “At least they listened to us,” she said, referring to the panel. “We’re breathing little by little.”

Bill Lipton, state director of the Working Families Party, called the decision a victory for the “99-percenters.” Mr. Lipton, who has campaigned for better pay for low-wage workers for years, said, “There’s clearly a new standard for the minimum wage, and it’s actually a living wage for the first time in many, many decades.”

The decision comes on the heels of similar increases in minimum wages in other cities, including Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle. On Tuesday, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors agreed to raise the county’s minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020, matching a move the Los Angeles City Council made in June.

But a more complicated political terrain in New York forced Mr. Cuomo to take a different route.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has demanded a higher minimum wage in the city to account for its higher cost of living. But neither he nor the City Council has the power to set wages citywide.

When lawmakers in Albany balked at the idea, Mr. Cuomo convened a board to look at wages in the fast-food industry, which is one of the biggest employers of low-wage workers in the state, with about 180,000 employees.

After hearing testimony from dozens of fast-food workers who complained that they could not support themselves or their families on the low pay offered by big chains like McDonald’s and Wendy’s, the board members decided the state should mandate that fast-food chains pay more. Advocates often pointed to the giant pay packages the chains gave to their top executives.

The board’s decision removed the last significant hurdle to raising wages since the acting labor commissioner, Mario Musolino, who must act on the recommendation, is widely expected to accept it.

The board said the first wage increase should come by Dec. 31, taking the minimum in the city to $10.50 and in the rest of the state to $9.75. The wage in the city would then rise in increments of $1.50 annually for the next three years, until it reaches $15 at the end of 2018. In the rest of the state, the hourly wage would rise each year, reaching $15 on July 1, 2021.

The mandate should apply to all workers in fast-food restaurants that are part of chains with at least 30 outlets, the board said. They defined fast food as food and drinks served at counters where customers pay before eating and can take their food with them if they choose.

The restaurant industry has chafed at these decisions. “We continue to say that we think it’s unfair that they singled out a single segment of our industry,” Melissa Fleischut, the executive director of the New York State Restaurant Association, said.

McDonald’s, a multinational corporation that paid its chief executive more than $7.5 million last year, said in April it would raise the minimum wage it pays workers in company-owned stores to $9.90 by July 1 and to more than $10 next year.

But the association noted that the impact would be felt at much smaller chains than McDonald’s or Taco Bell. Companies as small as Golden Krust Caribbean Bakery & Grill, a chain of about 100 casual restaurants in New York City, would appear to fit the board’s definition.

Economists predicted the increases would ripple out to other restaurants and other industries that pay low wages.

“It will likely put pressure on employers in other industries to raise wages in order to compete for workers,” Irene Tung, a policy researcher for the National Employment Law Project, said. “It would be very attractive for somebody working at the Gap, making around $9 an hour, to look across the street and see Chipotle paying $2 or $3 or $4 more and decide that they would rather work at Chipotle,” she said, referring to the fast-food burrito chain.

Laura Jankowski, who owns three Tropical Smoothie cafes on Long Island, said she had already raised prices to offset the increase in the state minimum wage that took effect last year. Though she was not certain that the new wage rules would apply to her businesses, she feared customers would complain at paying much more than $4.99 for a 24-ounce drink.

Most likely, she said, she would have to make do with fewer workers, all of whom she said were high school or college students working part-time. “It really is going to come to less people,” Ms. Jankowski said by telephone from her cafe in Port Jefferson Station. “What I envision is cutting labor, hiring less people, having less people per shift.”

Already on Wednesday afternoon, some retail workers in Manhattan were wondering, what about us? “We deserve it, too,” said Mary Gomes, 51, who works at a Duane Reade drugstore, where she said she earned $9.20 per hour.

Brittany Thomas, 20, who works at a Lady Foot Locker store, said it would not be fair to raise wages only for fast-food workers given that “there are a lot of jobs that require more work than serving food.”

Ms. Thomas said, “We all work hard for our checks.”

Only giving it to fast food workers and not other jobs just sounds like they are trying to pit the lower and middle classes against each other.

Fucking awesome if it goes through. The easiest-to-join, fastest-to-burn jobs will become decently paid, and that will be better for the state's bottom line.

I only worry that there's going to be some hard lobbying by the fast food companies to block this from going through.

diaspora

I always find it funny when people say that this will cause the automation of their jobs. People can barely function with ATMs or anything more complex than hungry hungry hippos, I doubt many will be able to order food.

John Oliver covered this a while back on the daily show
giphy.gif

Ah, well thats fine then. I just hope the other hourly workers direct their anger at the appropriate places and not fast food workers.

It's the first step. After the ball is rolling and other industries start wondering why they're not getting raises, we'll see widespread state support.

Amory

I always find it funny when people say that this will cause the automation of their jobs. People can barely function with ATMs or anything more complex than hungry hungry hippos, I doubt many will be able to order food.

I actually think it'd be sweet to just order my food on a touch screen and have it be right every time.

Surprised it's not around yet

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Only giving it to fast food workers and not other jobs just sounds like they are trying to pit the lower and middle classes against each other.
Or working incrementally towards getting it raised for everyone.

I actually think it'd be sweet to just order my food on a touch screen and have it be right every time.

Surprised it's not around yet
Hasn't this been done and tested before to poor results? People don't like it?

Edit: I can't find what I was thinking about via Google so maybe I'm misremembering

Sakura

It's cool that people working fast food would be making more money, but if the wages before weren't something people were able to live off of, then I don't see how it is right that it doesn't apply elsewhere.

Uh, why don't they raise minimum wage for all work to $15? This is a 1/4 measure.

They can't. Cuomo tried and the house rejected it. He had to make a special labor committee specific to fast food workers and implement it that way.

It's a roundabout method because it has to be.

Wow. This isn't gonna fair well for the other industries and workers that make much less already.

They can organize and go after the government like the fast food workers did. They're not getting this raise with no effort.

Foffy

Banned
Agreed it needs to be a standard not just fast foods

Indeed. And is this still enough? I've heard arguments that the minimum wage should actually be around $20.

The only thing stopping that type of automation is the costs: it costs too much to put in the machinery when compared to the cost of the human to the company. Of course, technology gets cheaper, and humans become more costly, so this seesaw will go one way soon. When it does, people will be taken out. I've seen such machines at places like Wawa, and they're really precise on giving the customer information. I can absolutely imagine McDonalds having that soon, too.

Remember, we're in an age where we've begun to automate bank tellers out of the equation, and we're a culture crazy about money. You'd assume that'd be the last place to go. The question is not an if, but when. And most of all, we need to be proposing a guaranteed income long before this becomes a problem, because poverty is a problem by the way we've mandated labor.

Raising the minimum wage is great, but we need to tackle the problem where incomes are made only through jobs. We're not only battling those who are 'have nots' by not having jobs, but the revolving-door scenario we have with machinery, which eventually can do everything we can better and faster. It's a messy situation, and our status quo is empirically insoluble.

Dead

well not really...yet
Good for those stuck in those jobs, but I can't imagine how angry I'd be if I was in a better job and position and making $10-11 only to now have McDonalds employees making more.

Needs to be raised across the board. Half measure like this is unfortunate.

Foffy

Banned
Good for those stuck in those jobs, but I can't imagine how angry I'd be if I was in a better job and position and making $10-11 only to now have McDonalds employees making more.

Needs to be raised across the board. Half measure like this is unfortunate.

This is a start. You work at the bottom, and that grows. We can't trickle-down this because trickle-down doesn't fucking work.

Fast food is often considered the most bottom tier job.

Sakura

They can't. Cuomo tried and the house rejected it. He had to make a special labor committee specific to fast food workers and implement it that way.

It's a roundabout method because it has to be.

They can organize and go after the government like the fast food workers did. They're not getting this raise with no effort.

Couldn't he do the same "loophole" for other big employer groups?

Dead

well not really...yet
This is a start. You work at the bottom, and that grows. We can't trickle-down this because trickle-down doesn't fucking work.

Fast food is often considered the most bottom tier job.
Yeah I agree mostly....

Its just unfortunate it has to be this way, as you will know it will raise the ire of many.

No its because its the state republicans would block it but NYS labor law allows for these type of wage boards and this is likely to affect the most number of people making minimum wage

Couldn't he do the same "loophole" for other big employer groups?

Kinda, but it'd be harder. This board was set up to get this outcome, its a lot harder with other industries. Since they have existing wage orders and other regulations

Uh, why don't they raise minimum wage for all work to $15? This is a 1/4 measure.

Its more like a 3/4th measure

Wow. This isn't gonna fair well for the other industries and workers that make much less already.

Why? Fast food work is the largest sector of minimum wage work, if anybody offers lower why would I go there over McDonalds? But those jobs are still going to need workers so they'll increase wages or benefits

entremet

Many of these fast food workers will be making more money than cooks at fine dining establishments. Pretty crazy.

kewlmyc

Fast food workers making slightly less than I make with a job that required a degree. I'm happy for them, but what is this conflicting feeling I have inside of me?

Foffy

Banned
Many of these fast food workers will be making more money than cooks at fine dining establishments. Pretty crazy.

Bottom up, friend. One of the holdups we had about fast food was that the "more worthy" jobs would suffer. The reality is if the bottom gets raised, everything is forced to accomodate. It gets rid of the psychological horseshit that's holding back almost all working class wages.

Fast food workers making slightly less than I make with a job that required a degree. I'm happy for them, but what is this conflicting feeling I have inside of me?

Organize. All this does is show that when workers organize and act together they get results. Of course recriminations are many preferred response

entremet

What yearly salary would this translate into?

30k roughly. Not really that much still, but decent for fast food.

For 40 hour work weeks a rule of thumb is to multiply by 2 then 1000.

A husband and wife working fast food will still struggle a bit in NYC if they have kids.

breadtruck

Now that fast food workers is a high-paid position, that means they wont fuck up my order anymore, right?

And yes, 15 bucks an hour is high-paid for these starter jobs.

Now that fast food workers is a high-paid position, that means they wont fuck up my order anymore, right?

And yes, 15 bucks an hour is high-paid for these starter jobs.

15 dollars an hour is well below median wage in NYC so its not high paid, they likely don't have an error rate that's abnormally high, and they're not starter jobs.

Dennis

Banned
Good news for all those gaffers always saying they could live like kings on 30k a year.

Move to New York and flip burgers.

GulAtiCa

Maybe time for a better job? I mean, I know nothing about your job and all or what your career is/etc. But for me, I started out with a good bit more then $15/hr. And once I became salary at same job, I started at around entry level $49k.

Guevara

One of the ways the class system oppresses the working classes, is by encouraging the working classes to fight amongst themselves.

"Oh that's too much money"
"Oh those workers aren't worth that much"
"Oh they didn't go to college"
"Oh that's almost as much as I make!"

Don't get mad because the working poor will be slightly better off. Get mad because your corporate masters are paying you as little as they can get away with!

Carnby

Bottom up, friend. One of the holdups we had about fast food was that the "more worthy" jobs would suffer. The reality is if the bottom gets raised, everything is forced to accomodate. It gets rid of the psychological horseshit that's holding back almost all working class wages.

Bottom up indeed. If this means I'll be closer to making 80k, let them have their 15 dollars.

Caelus

A human and wife working fast food will still struggle a bit in NYC if they have kids.

The illegal aliens even more so.
/jk

I see the sentiment that fast-food workers are being paid nearly as much as skilled jobs (I actually don't know the numbers, I 'm just reading posts here) but I think people should question why they're being paid shitty as opposed to questioning why employees in less-skilled positions are being paid more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom