• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World beta/demo appears to be bricking EVGA 3090's

Arun1910

I remember this capacitor "issue" when the cards launched.

Wasn't the basic consensus that all the boards actually did have the minimum specs, hence no recall, just that some boards went out of their way to use more MLCCs?

So knowing that.. is this not a problem with the game or how this person has overclocked... or both?

cormack12

Gold Member
I remember this capacitor "issue" when the cards launched.

Wasn't the basic consensus that all the boards actually did have the minimum specs, hence no recall, just that some boards went out of their way to use more MLCCs?

So knowing that.. is this not a problem with the game or how this person has overclocked... or both?

I think it was patched but people are speculating maybe it emulates something bu tI removed it from OP until there is something more concrete

Kenpachii

How is this even possible? i can't even think of a way that this could be possible. There is no way in hell new world can effect anything that involves bricking those gpu's.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Id be more worried of someone "dumping" their life savings in a gaming PC than a card being fried due to poor design.
LlJhx2e.jpg

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems unlikely to me that the game would use anything other than standard DX interfaces to send commands to the GPU, so I'd suspect that the fault is with the cards and not something catastrophically dangerous the program is doing in and of itself.

To be honest sounds like an issue with the card's drivers and how they interact with these particular models.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Everything I'm seeing seems to blame the uncapped frame rate of the game. If you decide to play, regardless of your GPU, cap the game to 60 fps.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Every time I’ve heard of a game “Killing” a GPU, it’s because it’s running a game at 2000fps in a menu somewhere. Cap at 60/141/whatever depending on your refresh rate, and if you really want to use Fast Sync for CS:S/GO then set custom settings. You don’t even need RTSS, it’s in the firmware.

If you don’t have a cap I feel sorry for you, because you haven’t learned from the past.

Azzurri

Shit, I have the a eVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and was playing NW yesterday, but didn't seem to have any problems, albeit only for 30 min.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I almost want to test this out, I have watercoooled evga 3090c and even in stress test my dual rad system keeps it under 55c. Wonder what this game would do to it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s probably faulty hardware mixed with like an non fps limited menu screen that shoots up to 5000 FPS on these cards.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

This is 1000% on the hardware and drivers. Drivers should prevent runaway thermal issues and hardware should cool it enough so if the drivers fuck up the card doesn't permanently damage itself.

Is it only EVGA cards? TBH that company was recommended online back when I bought my 1080, but I think it was all astroturfing. My 1080 was coil wined out the ass and I would never buy another one of their cards. I remember they also had some type of recall for something. I am not buying anymore EVGA cards.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
There was a fix from Nvidia, awhile back. The game seems to bypass that fix and cause 3090s to draw their maximum wattage.

CloudNull

Banned
Obviously most people know it is a driver issue but Gaf won’t care. I’m here for the dunking on Amazon and the memes.

Game is amazing and butter smooth on my 5700xt.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Back in the day, I had 3x 6600GTs die back to back from playing roller coaster tycoon 3, been on ATI/AMD ever since.
Didn't think something like that could ever happen again, let alone with their top end 3090; that's an expensive joke.

Md Ray

Is this specific to EVGA? Has anyone tested this game using a different brand/manufacturer's 3090?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Id be more worried of someone "dumping" their life savings in a gaming PC than a card being fried due to poor design.
LlJhx2e.jpg

That's the dumbest shit I've read today. No game should be able to brick a GPU no matter what it tries to do. And devs can't test every single hardware combination on the planet. This is 100% on the GPU manufacturer, their card shouldn't behave like this.

iceatcs

The new world indeed. The possibility of risk for any game could brink the GPU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom