• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World beta/demo appears to be bricking EVGA 3090's

PaintTinJr

If the GPU is bypassing normal safe limits and pulling excessive power causing it to blow, it is obviously great that EVGA will replace the GPU, but what about the motherboard - which will almost certainly see the pcie bus capacitors blow in the process?

If someone was running a High performance Desktop PC, spec (X299 chipset, etc) it is very possible that the board might not be available anymore, leading to a need for a new CPU and expensive memory too. I doubt EVGA will be quick or eager to pay for any secondary damaged parts.

Banned
having no framerate cap can fry GPUs, it's not down to how rendering intensive something is, it can be totally banal things that can tip it over the edge.

so while you will be fine running old games like Quake 2 at 2000fps, a main menu in another game that runs at 1000fps could fry your card because it simply stresses specific components on it too much.

didn't a GPU of one of the Digital Foundry guys get fried not too long ago due to a similar thing where the framerate was unlocked in a menu?

Last edited:
My evga 3080 ti crashes every once in awhile so this is totally believable. The cards run hotter on idle and performance than other 3000 series cards. So that could be a contributing factor.

edit:with that being said mine personally don’t run hot. At 70 percent my temps never go above 65-66 degrees when gaming.

The power draw is what’s crashing these cards.

Last edited:

hlm666

If the GPU is bypassing normal safe limits and pulling excessive power causing it to blow, it is obviously great that EVGA will replace the GPU, but what about the motherboard - which will almost certainly see the pcie bus capacitors blow in the process?

If someone was running a High performance Desktop PC, spec (X299 chipset, etc) it is very possible that the board might not be available anymore, leading to a need for a new CPU and expensive memory too. I doubt EVGA will be quick or eager to pay for any secondary damaged parts.
Isn't the pci bus limited to like 75 watts? You would need to have modified motherboard bios/firmware before the gpu could then pull extra power through the pci slot. These cards have like 3 power cables direct from the psu, that's probably where the issue is coming from. Judging by the twitter post above they arn't splitting that power properly with those 3 sources.

St0pThatGuy

Neo Member
If it's only EVGA 3090's bricking then it sounds like an EVGA design issue.

Also that tweet about people "putting their life savings into a $2000 card." Those people are idiots. And that tweeter is an idiot.
Seems stupid paying that kind of money for a card with a known defect.

PaintTinJr

Isn't the pci bus limited to like 75 watts? You would need to have modified motherboard bios/firmware before the gpu could then pull extra power through the pci slot. These cards have like 3 power cables direct from the psu, that's probably where the issue is coming from. Judging by the twitter post above they arn't splitting that power properly with those 3 sources.
Any externally powered card blowing in the bus can kill the bus with it AFAIK.

I had it back in the day with a fanless mid-to-low tier nvidia card that eventually blew a capacitor in year 3 and took the whole bus with it. The PC was fine, otherwise, but the graphics bus went in the process.

CamHostage

Amazon's gaming venture become more succesful with each passing day.

Right? I was just looking at the positive feedback for New World yesterday and thinking, "Wow, something actually is going good for Amazon Game Studios, for once..." ⏳

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Really sucks that when a thread like this gets started the first page gets instantly filled with drive by shit posting before actual helpful post.

But yes this is a evga issue not a game one.

Kadve

having no framerate cap can fry GPUs, it's not down to how rendering intensive something is, it can be totally banal things that can tip it over the edge.

so while you will be fine running old games like Quake 2 at 2000fps, a main menu in another game that runs at 1000fps could fry your card because it simply stresses specific components on it too much.

didn't a GPU of one of the Digital Foundry guys get fried not too long ago due to a similar thing where the framerate was unlocked in a menu?

StarCraft 2 had similar issues when it launched. The lobbies was putting huge stress onto the GPU for whatever reason which was fixed when Blizzard introduced a FPS limiter.

Reading up a little it seems to even be a problem with MMO's and multiplayer games in general, and this might be due to a combination of the above and substandard parts used by EVGA.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Really sucks that when a thread like this gets started the first page gets instantly filled with drive by shit posting before actual helpful post.
MtZ9N.gif

Kenpachii

Not sure what Microsoft allows with there consoles but nvidia drivers and or even windows let alone games have no access towards the bios on the gpu's.

There are 3 possibility's for this to happen in my view.

1) costum bios. could very well be that those guys are running bioses that are not made by evga but by modders which puts them in "rip warranty territory".
2) base bios from evga is bricked
3) the card simple has a fatal flaw that bricks it. ( this is not uncommon with gpu's, some gpu's are straight up trash designed )

for example.

U have cards that have a v-ram module for example on the back not cooled, with most of them cooled on the front and the censor that detects overheating on the cooled side but not the other side. guess what happens when things get hot = that v-ram module says bye bye. even while your temps are fine.

Its important to know when u buy gpu's to see what is quality and what is not.

EVGA is considered quality by many, i have no experience with them. But this will be a mess for there PR and reputation.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
3) the card simple has a fatal flaw that bricks it. ( this is not uncommon with gpu's, some gpu's are straight up trash designed )

This is apparently the problem but people would rather not take personal responsibility for buying an EVGA card and instead want to blame Amazon for frying their card that has a critical power flaw.

Kenpachii

If you want a good laugh, watch this clown trying to damage control his sponsors.

The amount of shit comes out of his mouth is just cringe.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
If you want a good laugh, watch this clown trying to damage control his sponsors.

I'd rather not give him a monetized view for whoring himself out to defend EVGA and deflect blame.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Good thing I got a cheap 3090FE and not an eVGA card. This means that all eVGA cards might be a ticking time bomb. Maybe some will get lucky and have them die late in the warranty and get an upgrade.

Banned
Good thing I got a cheap 3090FE and not an eVGA card. This means that all eVGA cards might be a ticking time bomb. Maybe some will get lucky and have them die late in the warranty and get an upgrade.

this is not an EVGA thing, every 3090 is potentially affected, as are possibly 3080ti

the EVGA is simply the by far most sold 3090 card out there, hence the most reports are from those, but people have reported other models bricking

Banned

once again, an idiot on this site not understanding what is said in the video, nor having any knowledge on the tech, accusing someone of maliciously shilling for a company... when will this finally be a bannable offence here? this is literally slander with absolutely no facts to back the claims made

Last edited:

demigod

this is not an EVGA thing, every 3090 is potentially affected, as are possibly 3080ti

the EVGA is simply the by far most sold 3090 card out there, hence the most reports are from those, but people have reported other models bricking

once again, an idiot on this site not understanding what is said in the video, nor having any knowledge on the tech, accusing someone of maliciously shilling for a company... when will this finally be a bannable offence here? this is literally slander with absolutely no facts to back the claims made
Calling him an idiot and not knowing about the tech, maybe you should do some research yourself. This is clearly an evga problem, there’s only 1 report about gigabyte. Go look up evga 3090 and halo mcc. They got caught with the 10 series with the vrm. Don’t buy evga unless you like RMAing.

Software will not brick your game, it’s a hardware issue. It baffles me how Jay doesn’t know this and blames Amazon.

Edit: its funny seeing pc sites blaming Amazon. Any software will cause the GPU to brick if that hardware is already faulty to begin with, it’s just a matter of which one will cause it. It’s better to stress your GPU now when its still in warranty to know if you have a faulty one or not.

Last edited:

rnlval

My evga 3080 ti crashes every once in awhile so this is totally believable. The cards run hotter on idle and performance than other 3000 series cards. So that could be a contributing factor.

edit:with that being said mine personally don’t run hot. At 70 percent my temps never go above 65-66 degrees when gaming.

The power draw is what’s crashing these cards.
I replaced my Seasonic Prime TX-1000 Titanium 1000W PSU since it was causing overcurrent protection to trip on my MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio.

My new PSU is Corsair HX1000 PSU.

Rickyiez

Don't even know how can someone watch Jay2c anymore . It's just random babbling the entire video , I bet he even run any test on his own to justify all the shit he's spouting out . Like you said , cringe shit .

Still remember the poscap and crashes that is blown out of proportion by him without knowing the real problem .

He's been proven wrong over and over again , so stop pretending this guy as someone who's actually knowledgeable .

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Been playing the game most of the day. No problems so far, knock on wood. Using an EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 24G-P5-39. I use the EVGA Precision X1 app from the Windows 10 store (not the one in Steam) for fan control, that's it. No overclocking mumbo jumbo. I set my fans to %100 all the time because the card runs blistering hot from stock. I also clean the tower every month. I made sure to get a spacious tower before getting a 3090. This is the one I use. It's a superb tower, room for everything and plenty of room for cooling:

CORSAIR GRAPHITE 760T Full-Tower Case, Window, Hinged Side Panel

I very highly recommend this product to clean your PC tower. Been using it for over a year now, can use it on consoles too but only exterior (the air flow may be too powerful for console circuitry). This thing is super powerful and well built, comes with attachments. As always, disconnect all electrical cables, cords prior to cleaning:

XPOWER A-2 Series Multi-Purpose Powered Air Duster

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Been playing the game most of the day. No problems so far, knock on wood. Using an EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 24G-P5-39. I use the EVGA Precision X1 app from the Windows 10 store (not the one in Steam) for fan control, that's it. No overclocking mumbo jumbo. I set my fans to %100 all the time because the card runs blistering hot from stock. I also clean the tower every month. I made sure to get a spacious tower before getting a 3090. This is the one I use. It's a superb tower, room for everything and plenty of room for cooling:

CORSAIR GRAPHITE 760T Full-Tower Case, Window, Hinged Side Panel

I very highly recommend this product to clean your PC tower. Been using it for over a year now, can use it on consoles too but only exterior (the air flow may be too powerful for console circuitry). This thing is super powerful and well built, comes with attachments. As always, disconnect all electrical cables, cords prior to cleaning:

XPOWER A-2 Series Multi-Purpose Powered Air Duster
Yup I have a similar Corsair case. Those front intake fans are great for keeping temps down.

sendit

Technically, every card can be potentially affected. However, there are thermal safe guards in place at multiple levels (both software and hardware). This isn't Amazon's fault (because they didn't place a FPS limit on the Menu screen) that an individuals GPU was bricked. This is EVGA's fault and any other manufacturer that has QA issues.

I have a Asus 3090 Strix and have not been affected by this.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am using RTSS to limit fps to max refresh rate for forever... I forgot a 300000 fps intro videos were a thing

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Damn I feel bad for the people with bricked 3090. Expensive bricking. It's like the transmission in your car dying with the current prices of GPU's.

Kenpachii

the fact u need arguments is just laughable. The guy straight up showcases in the video his absolute lack of knowledge on anything. There is no reason to make such a absolute trash video other then to try to damage control his fucking employee. Because these guys relay on company's like evga to feed them gpu's to stay relevant.

Why did he not make a video to test it out himself as he has a evga 3090? then he can tell us when his 2000w super duper power supply still bricks the card. Oh wait he didn't do it because he's clearly waiting on EVGA to give him some updated bios that nukes the power delivery towards the card or gives him a replacement GPU that proves his point.

But guys we will test it guys, just not now guys, just wait guys, its going to be great guys, u can bet we go to the bottom of this guys. rofl.

Let me make a list of his shit.

1) his statement about software can damage hardware.

software can't nuke your card. your card has all kinds of safety solutions that can't be addressed by windows software ever. Your bios protects your card and that's it. So his whole rant about amazon and that benchmark damaging your hardware is just laughable. If that software damages your hardware then your hardware is trash and unstable to start with. The bios gets made by the company that makes your card such as EVGA the same goes for the GPU itself even while it has base specification of nvidia. But unless nvidia's foundry cards are getting blown up, its probably not there fault which again points to some vendors and there cards.

2) The clown assume and damage controls by making statements like "they hate brands so they will just say that they also hate it just to damage the brands" is like wut dude? how the fuck do you know if they have it or not. So everybody on the forums are just lying because they hate evga magically for some reason? yet don't mention people shilling for said company's because they have stakes in it like yourself haha.

3) his rant about gpu being fed unstable power = laughable in todays age components and even past psu's. Unless u run 20 year old psu's every single psu even shitty ones have surge protections that the moment power gets unstable in those boxes it will shut down entirely. I have this happen multiple times with even the most shittiest power supply's when people bring there PC towards me. There is in no way that his ripple power is going to destroy those gpu's because guess what? gpu's also have this protection.

Here u got some names

OVP , UVP , OCP , OPP, and SCP, psu's are riddled with protections to not burn your house and PC down.

Then his daisy chain or whatever he calls it, plugging power connectors in power connectors isn't going to brick your gpu mate. If the power supply is unable to feed enough power into your gpu and your gpu requires that power it should shut down, and if it doesn't because EVGA forgot some crucial part in there design its again EVGA's fault or Nvidia if nvidia made that design. It's not amazons fault rofl.

4) his whole rant and logic about its normal for your GPU to brick when u uncap fps in a main screen, because for some reason having high fps in the main screen that drops your gpu in a 100% state where its build for makes your GPU brick. Guess what? it doesn't.

5) u need to vsync in order to protect your gpu guys!. Imagine having to use vsync when u buy a 3090 but even then, why would u advice people with 3090's to boot up the game and go into the main menu in order to change it to vsync when it bricks those cards in exactly that moment. what about using rivatuner before u even launch the game and cap the fps before it even hits the main screen, u know where those cards brick themselves? good tip buddy, 10 more death 3090's arrived today.

6) Also no, you card isn't getting damaged if its used for a 100% for a few hours a day mate. Your card or cpu can run for 100% all day long for years on end without damaging itself that's where it should be tested on and that's where it should be designed on. If your hardware is getting bricked after a few months of use that means your card wasn't stable to start wtih and parts where used far past its specifications.

Or you know u just got bad luck with parts. But those evga 3090's suddently had a lot of bad luck at the same time tho for it being "bad luck".

Anyway the video goes on and on. and frankly i will just stop here.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Not sure what Microsoft allows with there consoles but nvidia drivers and or even windows let alone games have no access towards the bios on the gpu's.

There are 3 possibility's for this to happen in my view.

1) costum bios. could very well be that those guys are running bioses that are not made by evga but by modders which puts them in "rip warranty territory".
2) base bios from evga is bricked

for example.

U have cards that have a v-ram module for example on the back not cooled, with most of them cooled on the front and the censor that detects overheating on the cooled side but not the other side. guess what happens when things get hot = that v-ram module says bye bye. even while your temps are fine.

Its important to know when u buy gpu's to see what is quality and what is not.

EVGA is considered quality by many, i have no experience with them. But this will be a mess for there PR and reputation.
I wonder if the 3090 Foundation editions (Stock nVidia) have these issues and the altered 3rd party version by some companies cause the defect. Because they do sometimes like to move chip pieces around, to your point.

Kenpachii

I wonder if the 3090 Foundation editions (Stock nVidia) have these issues and the altered 3rd party version by some companies cause the defect. Because they do sometimes like to move chip pieces around, to your point.

Lot's of things happen in GPU land. To meet demands. i know a bunch of story's where company's would slam full blown top end gpu cores on the lower tier gpus and sell them for lower models with the bios limiting them. If they would just flash it they get a card that's double the price. And that did happen often, also company's selling bricked gpu's to close to there bricked barrier which means card will die faster.

Or sell cards with absolute trash tier components like 290's that basically all died because of there shit memory modules. that would brick these cards all day long.

Anyway, found a picture of a card that blew up.

2004500540.jpeg

Either power rails failure to vrms could also be fan control chip failure.

Top Bottom