• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little Big Adventure teased on official facebook

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not a lot to go on, here, but the LBA page in Facebook dropped this just now.

juAOrmd.jpg

Little Big Adventure, known as Relentless: Twinsen's Odyssey in the US, was a ground breaking 2D/3D action-adventure series from Alone in the Dark creator Frederick Raynal. Often cited as a precursor to Beyond Good and Evil, it mismatched simplistic muppet-like characters with a darker toned story, and a massive world to explore. I really loved these games growing up, and would love to see Raynal step back into making this sort of game.

Update: There is a website now: https://www.2point21.com/

It appears to be a new studio formed for this project, indie in scope, and planned for PC and consoles. Beyond that there's not much info.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What the FUCK. I've been waiting for this since LBA2, absolutely love this series. It seemed like it was never gonna happen due to rights issues and stuff, but has that been resolved now or what? Many years ago there was some concept art released for what was planned to become LBA3, but nothing more came of it.

I just hope it's not gonna be some low budget junk like the stuff Raynal has been making lately... It doesn't have to be AAA, but it should be on the same level as the original games (but with modern visuals etc of course). And PLEASE don't be a mobile game.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
la French Touch à son pire :messenger_tears_of_joy:
(but really the first one was legendary but the maneuvrability of the little fucker was so bad i think i cried playing it on psx)

Kuranghi

Kuranghi

I never actually played the first game, I tried to like 20 years ago after beating the first and had a bug and couldn't continue, tried again after beating 2 again 5 or so years ago and it didnt even work on modern Windows for me. I'm sure I can get it going with a few tweaks.

Any recommendations of the best way to get LBA 1 working on Win 10? Fan patches welcome, etc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I never actually played the first game, I tried to like 20 years ago after beating the first and had a bug and couldn't continue, tried again after beating 2 again 5 or so years ago and it didnt even work on modern Windows for me. I'm sure I can get it going with a few tweaks.

Any recommendations of the best way to get LBA 1 working on Win 10? Fan patches welcome, etc.

It's on GOG, shouldn't that version work?

alexfont

Neo Member
Amazing news!!!

There have been some rumors about it in the community but we were not totally sure until today with the announcement.
We still lack alot of details about the game and development but they are looking to create a team. More details in https://2point21.com

LBA3 story script was done ages ago, so hopefully they can use it, but I am interested to know if they are going to involve the community during the whole process or not. Something to keep an eye on it.

You can get the enhaced edition released for mobile (iOS or Android) and the PC. PC controls are not the best, missing the old keyboard input.
This version is only available on Steam, not on GOG, but you still get the original game running on DOSBox.

Kuranghi

You can get both LBA and LBA2 on GO - works on Windows 10

Cheers, should've googled first, apologies.

I remember when I first played it way back then I didnt know changing stance affected the sword combat so I just tried to beat every sword battle in the aggressive mode lol, you get to a point near the end where those super guards are just borderline unbeatable without changing to the sporty stance and when I realised it was a wonderful weight off me because I thought I'd never get past that section otherwise.

Will have to give this a go soon because LBA 2 was my jam, any hot tips for LBA 1 that'll save me time/frustration?

edit - Ah this enhanced edition from DotEmu has a hint system built in anyway so it should be good.

Last edited:

alexfont

Neo Member
edit - Ah this enhanced edition from DotEmu has a hint system built in anyway so it should be good.
Yeah, it does have some other features like zoom in/out, no wall hit, jump control and trajectory, new menu inventory system and positional/zone save game which did not exist in the original game (it was auto save)

ZoukGalaxy

This is a BLAST from the PAST, this is simply awesome and really hope it will not end as a mobile game...
I still have the boxed game on PC.
Also, that's explain why the symphonic soundtrack was recently released !

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah, it does have some other features like zoom in/out, no wall hit, jump control and trajectory, new menu inventory system and positional/zone save game which did not exist in the original game (it was auto save)

What does "no wall hit" mean? Quicksave sounds like a godsend and I do like zooming in on stuff and getting a better look. Can I play it at silly modern resolutions?

ShadowNate

oh, boy. It's happening!
The first one is one of my favorite games!
I don't think I've ever finished the second one, but it was promising and had significant improvements. Life got in the way.

Zug

I remember both games fondly. Maneuvreability was shit but it was part of the experience.
I remember the 2nd one being quite bold at it's time in term of game design and scope, with elements of open world and metroid-like mecanics.
Also, cute world and dope soundtrack.

Maybe GOG? I didn't have any issues playing it through them years ago, tho I stopped once I got to the museum area where some stuff gets revealed. Also was on a Windows 7 machine (maybe try the GOG version and run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode in Windows 10?).

Otherwise, try the European PS1 version. It's 50 hertz but I think the game itself is only 30 FPS if that so that may not affect playability much if any. There's an English language option selectable as well. Just map the controls well and it should be find if you're okay with using a controller. Probably any PS1 emulator is fine (I personally use ePSXe).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What does "no wall hit" mean? Quicksave sounds like a godsend and I do like zooming in on stuff and getting a better look. Can I play it at silly modern resolutions?

In the original game, if you ran into a wall you would smack into it and get stunned for a second. So I guess they removed that?

Null Persp

I think I only played the first one, it was an amazing and weird game.
Great news btw, I love when they announce sequels for old games like this, like the recent announcement of Flashback 2 that caught me by surprise.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Update: There is a website now: https://www.2point21.com/

It appears to be a new studio formed for this project, indie in scope, and planned for PC and consoles. Frederick Raynal and Didier Chanfray are both involved. Beyond that there's not much info.

Last edited:

limitedmonkey87

Neo Member
Clicked on this thinking it was Little Big Planet and couldn't figure out why Sackboy looked so 90s

Then I read the title again. Never mind me thread, carry on...

tronied

I loved both games and I think it was the first PC game I ever completed (before Half-Life the following year). Amazing game and will be interested to see how they approach a new one.

Was just thinking about this the other day. I remember reading a review saying how just the driving component in LBA2 was better than most games of the time haha.

skit_data

OMG this was one of my first PC games.

I remember it being pretty much impossible because I barely understood english when playing it.

EDIT: And the controls were awkward as hell. I think I got stuck at some dart throwing/ball throwing part.

Last edited:
WAT?????
It's a game from my childhood which I really really loved!
Remake was always at the bottom of my head but I never thought it may came true.

yurinka

When I read the title I thought it was going to be another Little Big Planet spin-off, something like Sackboy: A big adventure sequel. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I dont know anything about this game but I fucking LOVE this 90's art style. Reminds me a bit of runescape, I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out.

Does the same still hold out well? Might play the original

PrimeX

Every time I see 'little big' in some random text it reminds me of this lovely game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom