• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Inertia screens (PS3)

Ranger X

Doom_Bringer said:
you need a pretty kick ass CPU and GPU if you want your games to run smoothly at 720p or any other high resolution....those other things are important as well...

Yeah i know. It's sad that resolution seems to be a priority over so many other important things. I mean, more polys + better texturing + better framerate + better animation in standard res. give a far better result than displaying some "almost last-gen graphic" in 720p like we see most of the time.
I definetely hope devs will get a clue soon or will succeed in pushing the hardware to good results in 720p.

Ranger X said:
Yeah i know. It's sad that resolution seems to be a priority over so many other important things. I mean, more polys + better texturing + better framerate + better animation in standard res. give a far better result than displaying some "almost last-gen graphic" in 720p like we see most of the time.
I definetely hope devs will get a clue soon or will succeed in pushing the hardware to good results in 720p.

I don't think resolution really matters... both machines are powerful however the learning curve is high. I mean jumping from low level shaders to shader model 3.0 and jumping from single core cpu's to complex multi core cpu's is definitely bogging the developers down...

we should see much better looking games by 2007 or 2008

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So I take it nobody actually read any of the updated info on the game that GS also had besides the new pics :lol :

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/news.html?sid=6155528

Eight weapons, several of which have a primary and secondary way of being used.

3 of the weapons revolve around attaching magnets to your opponents' ships and they can be attached at different locations on a ship to affect performance in different ways...attach a magnet to the left wing of a ship and your opponent will have to compensate in order not to start veering left, attach to the back and force their nose up, etc.

Regarding vehicle damage:

All damage suffered by your vehicle during a race will be accurately reflected both visually and in performance, with the ship-control dynamics constantly changing depending on the condition of your ship. For example, clipping a wall too hard (such as when traveling at top speed) may cause a wing to break off outright, forcing you to fly with a reduced horizontal balance for the remainder of the race. Accumulating too much damage will cause the ship to explode, eliminating you from the race. However, damaged ships can be repaired by visiting the pit stop, located near the starting gates.

For a new team, it seems like they've got their priorities straight. Remains to be seen how well they pull it all together.

Ranger X" said:
Resolution alone sure doesn't mean shit.

Actually it does. That means, from SD to 720p, you are pushing 3 times more pixels through the machine, which, even by itself, means a lot of shit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
kaching said:
3 of the weapons revolve around attaching magnets to your opponents' ships and they can be attached at different locations on a ship to affect performance in different ways...attach a magnet to the left wing of a ship and your opponent will have to compensate in order not to start veering left, attach to the back and force their nose up, etc.

That sounds awesome

jimbo

Banned
This game would be decent looking, if the ship design was actually any good, and if they didn't look like they were made of plastic. Because the environments look pretty good.

tahrikmili said:
Actually it does. That means, from SD to 720p, you are pushing 3 times more pixels through the machine, which, even by itself, means a lot of shit.

Three times more pixel's doesn't mean you need 3x more powerful of a machine, or performance will be 3x worse. It used to be that way in, oh, i don't know, 1997, but not today.

Ponn

Banned
kaching said:
So I take it nobody actually read any of the updated info on the game that GS also had besides the new pics :lol :

For a new team, it seems like they've got their priorities straight. Remains to be seen how well they pull it all together.

This interests me highly. More then graphics I want to see alot more stuff like this out of next gen gaming messing with physics and AI.

Zaptruder

Banned
_leech_ said:
Three times more pixel's doesn't mean you need 3x more powerful of a machine, or performance will be 3x worse. It used to be that way in, oh, i don't know, 1997, but not today.
Draw rate isn't as big a deal as it used to be, but then again, there isn't a specific fillrate module in graphics cards, so any increase in pixels impacts the overall performance of the GPU.

That said, raw fillrate is pretty insignificant consideration in terms of problems with increased resolution... no... the rest of the GPU will be taxed by having to calculate all the extra pixel points.

But then with higher resolutions, it exposes the problems of lower res textures even better; so to correct that, the texture resolution also has to jump up accordingly...

with expectations of normal maps and all the other shader jazz, the amount of texture memory used increases exponentially.

The question then is, is high resolution a worth while trade off for the performance loss?

I'm not too sure; we get a lot of emphatic yeses on that question, but then no one has really developed a next gen high budget game in low-res only for either X360 or PS3, so it's not something we can really answer easily.

Mmmkay

http://ps3.qj.net/New-Fatal-Inertia-Screenshots/pg/49/aid/61258
Native res screens (lots of compression artifacts, sadly):
Fatal_Inertia_1.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_2.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_3.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_4.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_5.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_6.jpg

Fatal_Inertia_7.jpg

Zaptruder said:
Draw rate isn't as big a deal as it used to be, but then again, there isn't a specific fillrate module in graphics cards, so any increase in pixels impacts the overall performance of the GPU.

Yea, i'm not saying there isn't any performance impact at all (there obviously is), it's just not as dramatic as some people like to think it is. People only have to read any videocard review made since the Geforce 3.

Yoboman

Those native res shots are actually very nice, this game has come a long way. Some aspects are tainted, but overall it looks great I reckon.

Jim

Mmmkay said:
http://ps3.qj.net/New-Fatal-Inertia-Screenshots/pg/49/aid/61258
Native res screens (lots of compression artifacts, sadly):

Yeah, those are compressed pretty badly.

I'm just trying to figure out how the courses actually work. None are really well defined "race tracks" (look at the map display). Instead you have an open environment with gates, and one start/finish line. I'm guessing you dash out, hit all the gates, and race back. Or something.

Zaptruder

Banned
Those screens are more in line with my initial expectations on entering the thread. It's unfortunate how much our expectations have been forced to drop.

Mmmkay

Jim said:
Yeah, those are compressed pretty badly.

I'm just trying to figure out how the courses actually work. None are really well defined "race tracks" (look at the map display). Instead you have an open environment with gates, and one start/finish line. I'm guessing you dash out, hit all the gates, and race back. Or something.
It gives me a headache just looking at the map :/

Diablos

Ok, first of all, this is not "Xbox 1" level.

Considering its the PS3, the textures could be improved upon, but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Yoboman said:
Perhaps. I like the water, maybe it's just the colours though :) I'd like to see it in motion.

I like the pacific style water in this game too! But remember this is running on the Unreal 3 engine so we will probably get water that has the viscosity of honey and is completely non dynamic

Yoboman

Looks better than Motorstorm. I went there :)

no i was planning to stay here for a while :S

I wouldn't get too trollish then, just some handy advice :)

I like the pacific style water in this game too! But remember this is running on the Unreal 3 engine so we will probably get water that has the viscosity of honey and is completely non dynamic

Is that so? I wasn't aware it was running on the UE3. I'd still like to see it though, the ripples could create quite a nice effecent in motion if they do it right.

Yoboman said:
Looks better than Motorstorm. I went there :)

No, MotorStom is pretty physics intensive. I don't think there are many next gen games that can touch it. On top of physics add 20 racers, dynamic tracks, destructibility....

No way will Koei Canada beat out Evolution Studio

Doom_Bringer said:
No, MotorStom is pretty physics intensive. I don't think there are many next gen games that can touch it. On top of physics add 20 racers, dynamic tracks, destructibility....

I agree Motorstorm looks waaaay better then this

Doom_Bringer said:

Exactly. Motorstorm, imho, is a perfect example of why more powerful hardware is needed beyond improving visuals (even though i think it looks pretty killer as it is).

Feindflug

Doom_Bringer said:

FI looks pretty good but not better than Motorstorm. :D

Motorstorm will make you say wow in TGS...
hopefully... :p

Yoboman

Doom_Bringer said:

You're right of course. I just think, visually, Fatal Inertia has grabbed a slight edge. More aesthetically appeasing enviroments and better texturing.

For instance:

928393_20060706_screen007.jpg

Fatal Inertia is also supposed to be very physics heavy.

The game's concept leans heavily on a physics implementation that will govern the movement of the cars, the effect of the weapons, and your interactions with the environment. During a presentation, lead designer Michael Bond discussed Fatal Inertia's physics-based gameplay, saying that the weapons and situations you'll find in the game will encourage you to both play creatively and come up with dynamic solutions on the fly to take out your competitors and to come in first.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/news.html?sid=6134675

Check the media showing this, aswell.

Trailer 1, from last year shows it well. Watch the developer interview too.

I think Motorstormwill be the better game though, and I'm expecting a similar sort of leap putting it ahead of this game in the future.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Strange how some shots have no AA at all, and other have (or are blurry?). Does UE3 really have problems with AA on both 360 and PS3? That's rather strange.
I'm not a big fan of the water effect, it looks like at a distance, but up close it looks like a blurry texture. Hopefully they'll fix this.

Yoboman said:
You're right of course. I just think, visually, Fatal Inertia has grabbed a slight edge. More aesthetically appeasing enviroments and better texturing.

For instance:

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/186/928393_20060706_screen007.jpg

There is no point in comparing screens from an early incomplete version. Look at the sparks in the motor storm picture that alone should tell you that picture is from an early build. I can't believe you are actually saying that a newbie Canadian studio will beat out Evolution....

Mmmkay

Blimblim said:
Strange how some shots have no AA at all, and other have (or are blurry?). Does UE3 really have problems with AA on both 360 and PS3? That's rather strange.
I'm not a big fan of the water effect, it looks like at a distance, but up close it looks like a blurry texture. Hopefully they'll fix this.
Yeah the shadowing cost for UE3 is independent of the 360's tiling issues; and none of these shots have AA, it's just the compression artifacts getting in the way. Besides, it's not as if many PS3 games have AA anyway.

Yoboman

Doom_Bringer said:
There is no point in comparing screens from an early incomplete version. Look at the sparks in the motor storm picture that alone should tell you that picture is from an early build. I can't believe you are actually saying that a newbie Canadian studio will beat out Evolution....
You're right, and I covered that more fully in my edited post.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Blimblim said:

If a game is UE3, it's reasonably safe to assume it won't have AA for now. Apparently it's really inefficient to use MSAA with certain techniques it uses (on any platform)..so presumably while you could brute force it given enough power, I'm guessing in most instances it wouldn't be feasible.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
gofreak said:
If a game is UE3, it's reasonably safe to assume it won't have AA for now. Apparently it's really inefficient to use MSAA with certain techniques it uses (on any platform)..so presumably while you could brute force it given enough power, I'm guessing in most instances it wouldn't be feasible.
Ok. I did not follow that whole thing closely, so I simply thought this was a 360 only problem.
As long as the game runs smoothly, it won't be a problem anyway.

The art direction isn't grade AAA, obviously, but technically, it ain't all that bad. But I'd reserve judgement about how this game looks until you see it in motion in a near final build. From what I've seen demoed at E3, they majorly need to up the sense of speed. If they do that, I think the game will be alright.

Doom_Bringer said:
STOP COMPARING NEXT GEN GAMES WITH PREVIOUS GEN GAMES BECAUSE OF THE RESOLUTION DIFFERENCE ALONE. LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT THE PHYSICS EITHER U DUMB BITCHES!!!!11
Physics is what really matters

illegal hentai gamer

Uhh...yeah, good physics, more bouncing.... :D

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:

The magnet/position-dependent physics is interesting, I would love to see it played out in real-time. ~_~

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
The magnet/position-dependent physics is interesting, I would love to see it played out in real-time. ~_~
Yeah, if they handle them right, I can see it being a real hoot, esp. in multiplayer. It sounds like you should be able to attach multiple magnets to a ship, so I can see players ganging up on the race leader, lobbing magnets at the leader causing their ship to go slower and slower and lose control. Would make a lot of sense to include a Team Race multiplayer mode, where you can have one member of the team racing to win and the others running interference.

The rocket-powered magnet sounds like its enough to completely throw the ship out of control, careening across the track.

What'd be really cool is if you could use magnets to lock multiple ships together.

Top Bottom