• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Batman will be black, DC Comics announces

Dunki

In american comics, we have legacy characters. The Flash was originally Barry Allenm.. but the Mantle of The Flash was passed to Wally West. He actually became the fastest version of The Flash because he mainlines the Speed Force. This actually stayed cannon for over 20 years until Barry came back from the dead.

Any of the Robins can take up the Mantle of Batman (Damian Wayne, the current Robin actually did in an alternative timeline where everyone was infected with the Anti-life equation).

So can one of the Superboys (yes, Jon Kent, the son of Superman, and Connor Kent, the clone of Superman, are both Superboy in the current timeline).

Just like Sam Wilson was bestowed the mantle of Captain America when Steve Rogers was killed (but the govt didn't want a black Captain America).

Legacy characters are a big thing in comics...
This is not even I have a problem with. But then there are multiple universes, Various Versions at the same time etc. This shit is sooo fucking confusing^^

squallheart

Why is every character being changed into black why not mexican you bastards. I want a low rider batmobile with jump take downs. Maybe in 10 years the brown train will start.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you referenced and demonstrated race-swaps or gender-swaps then you would have a genuine equivalence.
(Such as those referencing other race-swap / gender-swap episodes in the past in this thread)

You failed to do that. Meaning you made a false equivalence.
You hoped to conflate character-arcs with race-swaps (the singular focus of this story - which the publishers/creators have taken it upon themselves to tie directly to matters of race.)

And, chances are, you already knew this - because of you advertising your intent to smear those who would question your false equivalence in advance by, ironically, labelling them as "a bunch of racist fuckheads".

As such, yours is a textbook example of a bad-faith argument. And, thanks to you, shows the lack of integrity of the argument of the hand-wavers and the naysayers.

Pfft.

Please. All they're doing is introducing a new Batman who just happens to be black. They've introduced plenty of other Batmans other than Bruce Wayne before. This is no different.

I don't think anyone is actually being overtly racist here, but they've seen another example of what they think is 'wokeness' in DC Comics and decided to jump on the band wagon without even thinking about it.

I very much doubt any of them have so much cracked a Batman comic book open, otherwise they'd know that new characters putting on the cape and cowl is something that's happened for decades. This time is no different, except the guy is black, so of course it must be part of the woke problem infecting our culture these days (which, don't get me wrong, is a huge issue at DC).

It just makes people come off as racist when they start screaming and whining about something that has happened many times before, just this time it's with a black dude. Everyone doing that in here might want to think about that - and actually read a fucking Batman comic before venturing their opinion.

Last edited:

Ah. Further demonstration of the integrity of your position.

All they're doing is introducing a new Batman who just happens to be black.
Except they're not. Reality allows for coincidence. Fiction means that everything be deliberate. There is no "just happens to be". It is a purposeful, conscious decision to do this. Just as it was a purposeful, conscious decision to make the race / race-swap the leading focus of the reveal.

Yours is a wilful misrepresentation of the facts which addresses absolutely nothing and hopes to glide over your original series of false equivalences and intention to smear people who would question your misrepresentation of events.

It is people who make bad-faith argument upon bad-faith argument - such as you are doing now - that showcase why the rest of us who can apply critical thinking, don't need to resort to pre-emptive smears, and who can make equivalences that are not false - that we keep on raising these questions and concerns.

Even now you're skipping over your own series of fallacies and resorting to labelling others as racists for not swallowing your outright lies and disortion.

You are doing nothing but undermining your own point and proving mine.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ah. Further demonstration of the integrity of your position.

Except they're not. Reality allows for coincidence. Fiction means that everything be deliberate. There is no "just happens to be". It is a purposeful, concious decision to do this. Just as it was a deliberate purposeful decision to make the race / race-swap the leading focus of the reveal.

Yours is a wilful misrepresentation of the facts which addresses absolutely nothing and hopes to glide over your original series of false equivalences and intention to smear people who would question your misrepresentation of events.

It is people who make bad-faith argument upon bad-faith argument such as you are doing now that showcase why the rest of us who can apply critical thinking, don't need to resort to pre-emptive smears, and who can make equivalences that are not false keep on raising these questions and concerns.

Even now you're skipping over your series of fallacies and resorting to labelling others as racists for not swallowing your outright lies and disortion.

You are doing nothing but undermining your own point and proving mine.

I’m really not.

What you clearly are is someone who has no fucking clue about Batman comics, and has decided to jump on this latest version of the character to champion your anti woke position.

And now you’ve realised it makes you sound a bit racist, because plenty of other characters have been Batman other than Bruce Wayne... it’s just that this one is black. But instead of admitting that you’re clueless about Batman comics, you’re resorting to some sort of bullshit reasoning on your part to make yourself look better.

There‘s nothing bad faith about my argument, because I know what I’m talking about when it comes to alternate versions of Batman. You clearly don’t.

Or, you do know that plenty of other characters have been Batman other than Bruce Wayne, and you just don’t like it that this time it’s a black guy. Which would make you a racist fuck.

I‘ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you know fuck all about Batman - and so really shouldn’t be making comment about the comic or the character in this thread.

Just in case it’s the latter though, very happy to put you on ignore now 👍

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I’m really not.

What you clearly are is someone who has no fucking clue about Batman comics, and has decided to jump on this latest version of the character to champion your anti woke position.

And now you’ve realised it makes you sound a bit racist, because plenty of other characters have been Batman other than Bruce Wayne... it’s just that this one is black. But instead of admitting that you’re clueless about Batman comics, you’re resorting to some sort of bullshit reasoning on your part to make yourself look better.

There‘s nothing bad faith about my argument, because I know what I’m talking about when it comes to alternate versions of Batman. You clearly don’t.

Or, you do know that plenty of other characters have been Batman other than Bruce Wayne, and you just don’t like it that this time it’s a black guy. Which would make you a racist fuck.

I‘ll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you know fuck all about Batman - and so really shouldn’t be making comment about the comic or the character in this thread.

Just in case it’s the latter though, very happy to put you on ignore now 👍

Ignore is the best way to go for some who don't know what they're talking about and resort to bad-mouthing you and preaching against something they don't actually get.

I’m really not.
You really did.

False equivalences - which I explained after your last blunt "Nu uh" and then you just skipped over them.
You're now hoping to pepper lots of Batman-related noise to drown out the very clear and direct signal provided by the reveal.
This is because you can't actually defeat the points I raise, so need to distract and deflect away from them - obfuscate and distort and hope that I'm stupid enough to fall for such dishonest bad-faith antics.

Oh, plus, of course multiple "racists!" smears:

..It just makes people come off as racist when
..sound like a bunch of racist fuckheads

And a shiny new one in your last "Don't argue with me or I'll call you a racist fuck"

Which would make you a racist fuck.

So, aside from outright lying and covering up lies with threats to smear people, your only other "pfft" and "nu uh" efforts is the dishonest coward's tactical retreat du jour:
very happy to put you on ignore now

Like I said, you have brilliantly showcased the dismal lack of integrity and honesty such "NOTHING TO SEE HERE" screechers always make apparent within moments of their chanting. Dishonest arguments that are effortlessly dismantled, threats, fallacies, accusations, threats, fallacies, assumptions, threats and then boasting about being a coward that can't argue in good faith or successfully bully people into accepting your garbage so you just give up altogether.

What a spectacular series of own-goals.

--------------------

Ignore is the best way to go for some who don't know what they're talking about and resort to bad-mouthing you and preaching against something they don't actually get.
It's very telling that you regard someone throwing out baseless assaults of "RACIST FUCK" when their multiple misrepresentations are effortlessly dismantled as being the victim rather than the perpetrator of "bad mouthing".

Crybullies and their cheerleaders don't work on me. That's why they end up scurrying back to the cosy bosom of their echo-chambers.

--------------------

To anyone else who thinks they can bully me into accepting their shitty dishonest misrepresentations and fallacies I say you're welcome to try.

But I can guarantee you two things:

1) You will be wasting your time
2) You will sacrifice more than you will gain

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The whole concept of "the new Batman" is what I despise in this kind of thing. Every character just becomes a costume, a cosplay of themselves, in order to keep up the franchise effect. Bruce Wayne--the character in his entirety--is Batman. Who cares who puts on his costume, or Peter Parker's costume, or whatever else. They're just cosplayers at that point, not characters.

Why not have a new character in the Batman universe? What does it even mean for someone besides Bruce Wayne to be "Batman"? Some other dude with the same gadgets?

Teletraan1

Banned
Waiting for Batmxn. Because they/he/she is the stunning hero Gotham deserves, but not the brave one it needs right now.

Top Bottom