• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Wins Overall Film, TV Deal For ‘Game Of Thrones’ Creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

bitbydeath

Nobody was confirming numbers, but sources tell Deadline the deal is in the 9-figure range like some of the other mega-deals signed by show creators like Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy, each of whom also moved to Netflix.

the duo had met with Netflix as well as HBO/WarnerMedia, Disney, Comcast, Amazon and Apple. By late last month, the field had narrowed to Netflix, Amazon and Disney.

They have several obligations they intend to fulfill. They are creating, writing and producing one of the next Star Wars trilogies (Rian Johnson is doing his own, with others in the works), they wrote for Universal a Kurt Cobain project, and are posed to adapt the prison break tale Dirty White Boys for Fox/Disney.

Netflix Wins Overall Film, TV Deal For ‘Game Of Thrones’ Creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
"Wins"

Other streaming platforms:
giphy.gif

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Netflix keeps making bad decisions man. Just using it on my Android TV is annoying now. I have to deal with the autoplaying previews, which I’ve adjusted to, and they recently made the episodes autoplay as well if you just go one level in to browse episodes or turn on captions.

It’s like they want to be replaced.

danielberg

Neophyte
eh if i am honest with expanse, vikings and the boys on prime... what has netflix recently offered that isnt just average by comparison... they need something to keep their advantage or slowly over time amazon will eat their lunch but i am not sure if that something are these two fools.

Kadayi

Banned
They are only as good as the script.

Agreed. Albeit I think that for the most part they did a decent job with GOT they definitely ran into problems once they moved past the novels in terms of the execution. If GRRM had pulled his finger out things might have played out differently.

However with all of that said I think that they have demonstrated that they are capable when it comes to adaption so if they have a decent IP to work with then good things could come from it. A lot really depends on the aspect more than anything else.

Finally, the Troy sequel we've all been waiting for:

PZrgTir.jpg

... they're probably going to develop some "socially relevant" bullshit instead.

i think netflix is putting too much emphasis on name without even considering that other factors go into making a successful show/film.

I really want netflix to succeed, especially since they came in upending the entire industry, but in the end its not looking good imo.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
will be interesting to see if they can pull it off again

i mean everyone hated GOT but they kept watching anyways. feel like it doesn't really matter how bad your show is for some people. if they can make it culturally relevant then the quality doesn't even need to be considered.

streaming media is mostly a joke. i read a lot of reviews of TV shows and they always complain "These dumb writers signed on to do too many episodes so the pacing is too slow and nothing happens" and im like, "No you idiot, this person is just spreading out the content to make it as profitable as possible and as long as you think the camera shots are nice you will clap and say it's an acclaimed well made show"

GreyHorace

I thought the first season of Game of Thrones was excellent and Benioff/Weiss did a remarkable job adapting the first book (to be fair though, the book is very film friendly because GRRM was a television writer before). The succeeding seasons on the other hand were varying in quality and they nosedived in quality once they went past where the books stopped.

Obviously Netflix is banking on these two to produce the next GOT size hit series. But I don't see it happening.

Geki-D

Banned
They can clearly do a good job so long as someone else is doing to writing, coming up with the ideas and also has a hand in production as the GoT seasons based on the books were great. But if they're doing everything... Yikes. Later GoT seasons showed us that they themselves really don't understand story structure.

i mean everyone hated GOT but they kept watching anyways. feel like it doesn't really matter how bad your show is for some people. if they can make it culturally relevant then the quality doesn't even need to be considered.
This just isn't true, though. Everyone actually loved most of the seasons of GoT. The only reason people kept watching once it started to go to shit was because they were already 5 seasons in and too invested to not see it through to the end. If a show is shit right off the bat, however, people will just stop watching right away. From the guys who made GoT or not.

bitbydeath

Now a new piece in THR indicates that with Netflix having locked down Benioff and Weiss for a five-year, $250 million development deal recently, it could limit their work on the “Star Wars” franchise. In fact, their sources suggest the pair are only confirmed to be writing a treatment for a new trilogy and is committed to penning at least one of the films as opposed to all three. It’s unclear if the duo will do more than write and/or produce on the franchise.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If they're smart, they'll get away from Star Wars as fast as possible. It's a sinking ship that kills careers.

If they run from it, it's actually a sign they have a brain. But maybe I'm giving them wayyyyyyyyyyy too much credit.

Woo-Fu

Banned
All the people crying about how bad they think these guys are are being drowned out by the avalanche of money their projects make.

finowns

All the people crying about how bad they think these guys are are being drowned out by the avalanche of money their projects make.

Who cares about that? Give George Martin all the money and let him write you a story, people will be excited.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Who cares about that? Give George Martin all the money and let him write you a story, people will be excited.
Netflix, judging by the rumored figure they're paying.

It's business, not fan service. Everybody crying about the final season and/or final episode of GoT still watched it, didn't they? That's what counts. https://deadline.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-ratings-finale-season-8-hbo-viewers-1202618943/

They don't need GRRM to write anything new---which isn't likely to happen regardless of how much money they have---there is a near endless list of properties that can get turned into series by B&W.

Last edited:

finowns

Netflix, judging by the rumored figure they're paying.

It's business, not fan service. Everybody crying about the final season and/or final episode of GoT still watched it, didn't they? That's what counts. https://deadline.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-ratings-finale-season-8-hbo-viewers-1202618943/

They don't need GRRM to write anything new---which isn't likely to happen regardless of how much money they have---there is a near endless list of properties that can get turned into series by B&W.

Ya, the original spin on Game of Thrones really showed their creativity and novelty. There's one reason Game of Thrones was as successful as it was and it doesn't even need to be said.

No one is excited about Dave and Dan.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I don't get why so many people snide them.

They are producers not writers. Show was 10/10 when they were based on books. Not their fault that that lazy fat fuck write one book 10 years and no doubt will die right after it with series hanging in air.
What they achieved though was to bring AAA quality movie like production into TV show and cut it well enough to really get people going.

What they need now is big budget similar to GOT and good script like books were. So they should hunt for finished story.

finowns

I don't get why so many people snide them.

They are producers not writers. Show was 10/10 when they were based on books. Not their fault that that lazy fat fuck write one book 10 years and no doubt will die right after it with series hanging in air.
What they achieved though was to bring AAA quality movie like production into TV show and cut it well enough to really get people going.

What they need now is big budget similar to GOT and good script like books were. So they should hunt for finished story.

I honestly don’t have a big problem with them, but 1000 D&D’s aren’t worth one ‘lazy fat fuck’ George Martin.

Top Bottom