• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy

bitbydeath

Benioff and Weiss were supposed to usher in the post-Skywalkera era of the Star Wars brand with a 2022 new-start story that would stake out a new frontier for the era-defining cinema brand created by George Lucas. The Emmy-winning pair cited their historic deal with Netflix. They said their enthusiasm for Star Wars remains boundless but, regrettably, their schedule is full up.

Kennedy didn’t close shut any doors in her send-off statement on Monday: “David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers,. We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”

“There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects,” the GOT pair said in a statement to Deadline. “So we are regretfully stepping away.”

JimiNutz

Banned
Star Wars saved, more like!

I remember when I knew little about these two clowns other than that they were the 'brains' behind Game of Thrones....At that point, giving them Star Wars seemed like a brilliant idea...

Luckily we all know better now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Phew... Glad that these are no longer going to get a chance to do some bullshit with Star Wars. Not that I have high confidence in Disney for picking great visionaries for the franchise.

Falcs

Banned
FuckinLOL!
They probably knew they would be torn new assholes by Star Wars fans due to their incompetence.

GV82

FhDCBlq.gif

Good

GreyHorace

All's not well in the House of Mouse. Perhaps this is a precursor to Kathleen Kennedy getting booted out from Lucasfilm?

It's kind of sad for Star Wars that people are more hyped for a freaking tv show (The Mandalorian) than the actual movies (Rise of the Skywalker).

MoFuzz

If this news is to be taken as face value, then we are now at a point where people are choosing to work on a Netflix TV show over a Star Wars project; which was at one point in time the greatest entertainment intellectual property in the world. Let that sink in for a moment.

Whether they left of their own accord or were given the boot, both explanations can only reflect poorly on the absolute gong show that is Lucasfilm's production team. How is this anything other than a complete and utter embarrassment?

If D&D truly left voluntarily as the article states, then it means that even these clowns don't want anything to do with this hot steaming pile of a franchise, because of the stink associated with it.

Conversely, if they were fired by Lucas or Disney, it would mean yet another change for a project lead during Kathleen Kennedy's tenure as head of Lucasfilm and Star Wars. For those who haven't been keeping score, this woman has so far:

- Fired Colin Trevorrow from Ep. IX, eventually forcing JJ to return to "finish" the trilogy
- Replaced Gareth Edwards with Tony Gilroy to finish Rogue One after principal photography was wrapped
- Fired Lord & Miller after they almost finished Solo, and hired Ron Howard to reshoot a majority of the film, doubling the production costs

Any way you slice it, this can only point to an executive who does the worst possible job of vetting your candidates. You would have to actively try your hardest to fail as spectacularly as this.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm more than happy to think that Disney didn't want them to touch the Star Wars franchise.
^___^

*EDIT*
But if they did truly walk away from the franchise, they probably realised that people have not been very nice to them since GOT finished. And then they realised that the Star Wars fanbase has been a bunch of cunts towards George Lucas, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson and Disney. They also turned their nose up at Ron Howard by not even seeing the Solo film.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

GRRM satisfyingly chuckles as he wipes whipped cream off his beard
I would have sided with Martin during the GOT fiasco if he actually finished the fucking books for once. I'm getting sick and tired of his promises to release The Winds of Winter and finish the series respectively.

Starfield

Today the 28th of October will no longer be known as a regular day, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, “WE WILL NOT GO QUITLY INTO THE NIGHT. WE WILL NOT VANISH WITHOUT A FIGHT. We're going to LIVE On until D&D has been destroyed"

TUROK

After being reeeee'd at by bitter nerds over the crime of making a "bad" season of a television series, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to deal with yet another group of petulant man-children.

ZehDon

Walking away from one the greatest intellectual properties in the history of western culture to work on no-name projects at Netflix because... of time? Heh. Their writing is still bullshit.

As for Star Wars, this is just straight up fucking embarrassing. People are now actively passing on giant, multi-film deals. Someone just said “No thanks” to fucking STAR WARS. When hacks like Benioff are passing, you’re entire franchise is fucking done.

After being reeeee'd at by bitter nerds over the crime of making a "bad" season of a television series, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to deal with yet another group of petulant man-children.
It's not only "nerds" who thought this was a crappy ending to a great television show.

bitbydeath

Walking away from one the greatest intellectual properties in the history of western culture to work on no-name projects at Netflix because... of time? Heh. Their writing is still bullshit.

As for Star Wars, this is just straight up fucking embarrassing. People are now actively passing on giant, multi-film deals. Someone just said “No thanks” to fucking STAR WARS. When hacks like Benioff are passing, you’re entire franchise is fucking done.

Netflix is paying them a nine figure salary over the course of five years. Who could say no to that?

MisterHero

It's not hard to understand. Whoever does these movies is expected to bank at least a billion dollars 3 times.

If we need to learn anything from the sequels, it's that defaulting to the trilogy format fucked the individual stories. Write 3 self-contained stories first, THEN link them together.

It's unreasonable no matter who does it, and you are starting with a clean slate.

I'm not seeing Rian Johnson's movies without a reeeeaally good reason. If crazy people want to run amok saying his work is a gift from God, be my guest.

I'm sure in a few years once internal communication gets made public uni students will write thesis after thesis about how The Last Jedi and the decisions behind it ruined a cultural phenomenon.

TLJ really fucked the bed for Star Wars

So Ep IX got the 2nd biggest ticket presale of all time because of TLJ's theoretical failure?

Aight bro.

ZehDon

Netflix is paying them a nine figure salary over the course of five years. Who could say no to that?
The deals were not mutually exclusive, so they never had to say no to anything. They elected to walk away from Star Wars. They quite literally said this in their press release.

Passed that, the opportunity to shape the future of the once-giant brand of Star Wars is something a lot of story tellers would kill for. That D&D passed on it says a lot about Star Wars - and themselves.
I suppose they could be taking the money and running. Five years at Netflix, churn out their usual trash, walk away with the goods. Their reputations are already shot, why not get paid.

I was really happy that they had decided to do a kotor era trilogy it could have been cool, but I somehow think they only decided to do that because they thought they were going to get the GoT guys and make GoT in space. Then I think D+D played netflix and disney against each other in a bidding war and netflix won.

sol_bad

The deals were not mutually exclusive, so they never had to say no to anything. They elected to walk away from Star Wars. They quite literally said this in their press release.

Passed that, the opportunity to shape the future of the once-giant brand of Star Wars is something a lot of story tellers would kill for. That D&D passed on it says a lot about Star Wars - and themselves.
I suppose they could be taking the money and running. Five years at Netflix, churn out their usual trash, walk away with the goods. Their reputations are already shot, why not get paid.

Hate Star Wars and Disney all you want.
But stop living in a fantasy world, Star Wars is still a massive and giant brand name. The new movie will easily make over 1 billion, it will probably make more money than episode 8.

MisterHero

So Ep IX got the 2nd biggest ticket presale of all time because of TLJ's theoretical failure?

Aight bro.
I want to see how it ends and giving them a chance to right some things, or give some disappointing story things better context.

I'm being reasonable brah.

Also, if I had an idea that was worth even a fraction of a billion dollars I'd probably find a way to sell it myself. ;p

Last edited:

plushyp

JimiNutz

Banned
A Feige/Favreau combination makes most sense for future films in my opinion.

Feige is apparently a big Star Wars fan and has a lot of experience handling a franchise with many different but connected films.

Favreau looks to have done a good job with The Mandalorian and was a big part of getting the MCU off to a good start with Iron Man.

Having these two work together on the next three main films makes so much sense.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Kind of funny that a Netflix deal is more enticing than a SW trilogy now but that’s just how far the brand has fallen. they have shown just how limited it can be.

They probably have infinitely more creative leeway and bigger budgets at Netflix. Disney seems to keep their creatives under the boot. Probably the best decision they could make

Last edited:
I can only assume that the hit their reputations took after the final season of GoT, had something to do with this.
I wish they just gave that series to some other writers and let it go on for another 3 seasons or so.

I am shocked and sad by this news. No, wait. That's indifference with a side order of Schadenfreude. SW is dead to me since TLJ. Bring on the public carwreck in the news that I can enjoy for free.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Rise of Nostalgia is on track to be the lowest grossing entry in the sequel trilogy. They know streaming tv is where the money is. “They” being both these guys and the company doing Star Wars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom