• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones creators to write and produce new Star Wars film series

Batjag

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-o...e-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

As the title states, it was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, the showrunners of Game of Thrones, have been signed to write and produce a new series of Star Wars films. Seems like nothing concrete yet, other than this series is separate from the mainline Skywalker saga as well as the Rian Johnson trilogy that's been announced.

Note that this announcement says "series" and not "trilogy" so it could turn into a whole bunch of films, I suppose.

I wonder if Lucasfilm is planning to start releasing more than one Star Wars film per year?

I never thought I would see the day were I would have zero faith in Star Wars, it's too many movies too often.

They will give Rian his trilogy despite TLJ...come the fudge on

finowns

They are good at logistics, I suppose, but as storytellers I’m not sure.

Also, Ian Mc is the only thing that gives me hope for future Star Wars movies.

Last edited:

luxsol

hmhmhmhmhmhmhmhm, not sure what to think about this.
On one hand, i think they did a good job at adapting ASoIaF, but doing their own thing? What else have they done? Not a whole lot and their own stuff looks like shit.

Grimmrobe

I am optimistic about this. It's true that they haven't done much of their own stuff, but they are very experienced by now from GoT. And more Star Wars, made by at least competent creators, can only ever be a good thing.

TBiddy

Colour me skeptical about this. I wasn't impressed by the last few seasons of GoT... which coincidentally was when they ran out of books and had to start improvising. Also, I'm afraid that the Star Wars brand will be milked and destroyed by the huge influx of films, that - apparantly - is coming.

ChrisDude

Im in for it. I like the current season of GOT, mostly because the shit I have been waiting for finally started to happen and it was a nice spectacle.

A old Republic setting would be nice.

hmhmhmhmhmhmhmhm, not sure what to think about this.
On one hand, i think they did a good job at adapting ASoIaF, but doing their own thing? What else have they done? Not a whole lot and their own stuff looks like shit.

Bolded is the key imo.
Like TBiddy TBiddy mentioned, when they ran out of books is when the show had a 180º shift from a good narrative to a LotR'esque approach.
Depends on what you expect from these movies... something more political or something more fantasy based.

llien

GoT got messy once they ran out of books, on the other hand, SW is in such a shape at the moment, it's hard to do it much more harm.
A bit skeptical, will definitely check the first episodes.

Fbh

Not sure how positive this is since there was a clear drop in quality in GOT when they ran out of books to adapt and they had to start writing their own stuff.

Still , after TLJ the only way this franchise can go is up (...I hope) so let's see how it turns out

KevinKeene

Banned
Hm, at the veru least I'm looking forward to Amidala being pounded in a hot way by Obi-Wan, which turns out to be the true reason for Anakin to become Darth Vader.

Dunki

So despite the "low" result from Last Jedi they still want to finish the trilogy, give Rian who is responsible for Last Jedi a own triology and want to do this? This sounds really stupid IMO. I would be pretty interested in a triology by the GoT guys since I ope it could be more mature.

grumpyGamer

i really doubt Disney will let them make the series any good, they are good at making real and harsh worlds.

disney will say no blood, no gore, no anything over 3 PG XD, so i don't expect anything m0uch

Yoda

Eh who gives a shit? TLJ was the final nail in the coffin that the series could be brought back to the glory days of the OT. We'll now have designed by committee, soulless, comic book hero movies in space.

Mahadev

Oh yeah, milk that cash cow Disney until it's dry. And when it's dry no amount of marketing or critic "reviews" will fill it up again.

Egh. This sounded good for all about 10 secs after hearing it, but then you start thinking about it and it all falls apart.

Petrae

Oh yeah, milk that cash cow Disney until it's dry. And when it's dry no amount of marketing or critic "reviews" will fill it up again.

It took Disney and its saturation of everything Star Wars to kill my fandom, which had lasted almost 40 years. I’m sick of the IP now. New movies at least once a year. Origin stories that I can’t care about from people who had nothing to do with the characters. New movies in the series with uninteresting characters and odd retellings of stories that were better the first time around. Promises of multiple streaming series that will be canon. And this news about yet another movie trilogy on top of the trilogy already in place.

Disney will continue Jedi Mind Tricking money from the loyal SW fan base, until there’s nothing left in their wallets.

OH-MyCar

So we have the world-building of a single arc of The Clone Wars, with predominately human casts (and "aliens" & droids relegated to comic relief) stretched out over 12-15 years of movies now?

Geki-D

Banned
GoT got messy once they ran out of books, on the other hand, SW is in such a shape at the moment, it's hard to do it much more harm.
A bit skeptical, will definitely check the first episodes.
Even when they were still going off the books, pretty much every bad change and added thing all the fans hated, the stuff that was cut that really shouldn't have been, was up to these guys.

But who knows. Though rather than a million movie franchises, if Disney are going to call on guys best known for TV why not not a TV series?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Lol, im in the minority on this one. Bring on more star wars movies!

Totally unrelated but the wife and I are going to black Panther opening weekend. We haven't done that in like 10 years...

JimiNutz

Banned
Give them an already established story like Knights of the Old Republic and I'll be optimistic but otherwise I find it hard to get excited for anything Star Wars related anymore.

gioGAF

This doesn't do much for me. George RR Martin's books are the real stars behind Game of Thrones. Who is going to create the world/plot for these movies? I know the Rian Johnson trilogy is fucked, because I have seen what Rian Johnson can do and it is not good.

Good luck to them, hope you do better than RJ, hope Disney doesn't continue to drive SW into the ground.

MoFuzz

Any chance of them being brought on board as a backup? In case they decide to shitcan the Rian Johnson trilogy given the now polarized reactions to TLJ? Though that may be wishful thinking on my part...

I definitely see why the choice was made. GoT features both powerful female characters and plenty of genre subversion. In fact, that's all that kept ringing through my head after I watched TLJ.

Fbh

I thought Lucas was bad at managing his IP, but Disney is making a run at making even worse decisions.
Honestly feels like instead of looking at it as a long time investment they just want to milk it as much and as fast as they can and make as much money as possible while there is still interest.

I guess once more people start to lose interest they will let it rest for 10 years or so and the be like "hey it's back!!!...again!!"

Maybe they will tell the stories between ANH and ESB. Revisit that whole Luke and Leia love story.

And it's then revealed that Kylo is Luke and Leias son. It explains why he has such a strong connection with the force since he is a double skywalker and it explains why he is evil and unstable since... well, incest and all

Kadayi

Banned
I thought they did a pretty good job adapting GOT (no easy feat really given the scope of the books), however, I agree that the quality of the show has dropped slightly in season 7 now they are past the books and into GRRMs outline. Though I think the main problem really is that there wasn't enough content to build off of to make for a slower season without generating filler.

As for Star Wars. This almost feels like an attempt to try and renew public interest in a franchise that's just not doing that well in terms of public perception by leveraging B&W reputation, at GOT goodwill.
I wouldn't be surprised if that Rian Johnson trilogy gets shitcanned given he's utterly toxic at this point and B&W head up the Trilogy instead. This is simply a diplomatic move before they take him out back EA style.

I suspect Kennedy is looking for some wins here with the Disney board, though in truth if Solo stumbles at the Box Office I suspect she'll be ousted regardless.

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

Should’ve gone Joss Whedon IMO
He’s the best at world building as proven by Buffy, Angel and Firefly.

I'm not a big Whedon fan (albeit I liked Buffy when it came out), and Whedon was literally the last director I ever wanted to do Star Wars. I remember getting worried when there were rumors that he was secretly lined up to direct one of the films. I thought his sardonic, quip-filled dialogue and "made for TV" visual sense would've been an awful mix for the franchise. After TLJ? I take a lot of that back, because I sincerely feel like he would've done a better job than Rian Johnson did, and would've made some far better decisions script-wise. Even the jokes would've landed better. It would've been all-in-all much stronger on every front aside from visuals.

There I was thinking "the Jedi are evil!" and Palpatine was scribbling this away in his composition book:
1513505052946.gif

Last edited:
What a bunch of sellouts D&D are. They didn't honor their deal with HBO and just went where the most money was offered. No integrity in their work which is becoming clear as the later GOT seasons are being seen as less compelling than the first 4 seasons.

Chiefonthis

Neo Member
I think the best bet here is for some type of Old Republic setting. You'll need a healthy amount of Sith and Jedi.

They need to be as far away from the OT as possible.

Jezan

I think Star Wars can be good again if they just stop using known characters. Like this set of movies should take place waaaay before or after, but just stop milking around Battle of Yavin.

They should probably do KOTOR anyway.

Popsickles

Well can't be any worse than that pile of shit Jonson made I wonder if they will bring tits and dicks to the starwars universe

Nicktendo86

Wait a minute, so we now have the mainline films, the spin offs such as Solo etc, the Rian Johnson trilogy and now these on top? It's just too much, I can't quite believe how fast Disney have run Star Wars into the ground.

Yoda

Just so everyone's clear, the only season of GoT that is 100% from the show runners, is the most recent (and worse) season.

Top Bottom