• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix is developing a Squid Games reality TV show where 456 participants fight for the chance to win $4.56m

Draugoth

Gold Member

The streamer announced a reality TV production based on its global dystopian smash at the Banff World Media Festival on Tuesday.

While the stakes won’t be life or death (presumably), Squid Game: The Challenge will have 456 players competing in a series of games for the chance to win $4.56 million. Netflix claims the payout is the largest lump-sum cash prize in TV history, and that the show likewise also sports the largest competition series cast ever assembled.

Squid Game took the world by storm with [director Hwang Dong-hyuk’s] captivating story and iconic imagery,” said Brandon Riegg, Netflix vp of unscripted and documentary series. “We’re grateful for his support as we turn the fictional world into reality in this massive competition and social experiment. Fans of the drama series are in for a fascinating and unpredictable journey as our 456 real world contestants navigate the biggest competition series ever, full of tension and twists, with the biggest-ever cash prize at the end.”

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Will only work if death is a consequence. Make them all sign waivers. It would be the highest rated reality show ever.

It's going to suck because no one will actually get hurt or killed. Plus Wokeflix will script it so a brave LGBTOZX+ BIPOC will win at the end. It's guaranteed in the contracts of the 456 carefully screened and completely scripted actions of the participants.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Will only work if death is a consequence. Make them all sign waivers. It would be the highest rated reality show ever.
Stephen King's (or was it under the Richard Bachman pseudonym?) The Long Walk!!!

Contestants start walking. If you stop moving forward, you die. Last one walking wins!

bitbydeath

Been renewed for a season 2.
Anyone else here watch it?
It was surprisingly good for a reality show.

I cannot stand Americans on reality shows. They're the worst of humanity.
Also... I cannot stand anyone on reality shows. They're the worst of humanity.

This was such an interesting premise, but executed poorly. I think the reality show aspect shines through too much. Too cheap in execution, too tacky in trying to mimic the show in parts, and too much eye-rolling at the people being allowed to take both pre-game and in the "interview" segments.

This reminds me of a funny story though back when the real series was airing. We were out in Sydney and needed a Uber back to our apartment at the time. Guy turned up in a KIA Carnival.... dressed in a pink jumpsuit and the PlayStation symbol fencing mask. Drove like a maniac (although that's normal in Sydney) playing the Squid Game theme tune. Didn't speak a word. That was an amazing time, and for some reason we didn't realise it was halloween haha.

bitbydeath

I cannot stand Americans on reality shows. They're the worst of humanity.
Also... I cannot stand anyone on reality shows. They're the worst of humanity.

This was such an interesting premise, but executed poorly. I think the reality show aspect shines through too much. Too cheap in execution, too tacky in trying to mimic the show in parts, and too much eye-rolling at the people being allowed to take both pre-game and in the "interview" segments.

This reminds me of a funny story though back when the real series was airing. We were out in Sydney and needed a Uber back to our apartment at the time. Guy turned up in a KIA Carnival.... dressed in a pink jumpsuit and the PlayStation symbol fencing mask. Drove like a maniac (although that's normal in Sydney) playing the Squid Game theme tune. Didn't speak a word. That was an amazing time, and for some reason we didn't realise it was halloween haha.
I enjoyed it, there was almost always something happening and not so reliant on ‘drama’, which is where a lot of the other reality shows lose my interest. Lots of games and tension, and they changed up enough so it didn’t feel like a repeat of the show.

DKehoe

I remember reading that the creator of the original show didn’t get much from it. Anyone know if he got paid something for this or had he signed over the relevant rights to Netflix?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was recently in a Gamestop and well, I don't know what they're still there for. There are T-shirts and toys everywhere. And in the very back corner, console games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Been renewed for a season 2.
Anyone else here watch it?
It was surprisingly good for a reality show.

I liked it. Gotta watch the final episode tonight. It has cheesy moments but it's fine for putting on something to watch in the background. I was skeptical but they managed to pull it off.

Top Bottom