• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGeo emulator is in development for Nintendo 64

stranno

1zdz18y.jpg

Giovanni Bajo is working on a MVS/NG emulator for Nintendo 64 on libdragon and it seems it already runs Metal Slug.

nkarafo

I wonder how fast it's running?

I remember discussions about the Saturn being the best 2D machine of the generation and how the N64 couldn't handle Saturn's 2D games. And yet the Saturn couldn't handle an arcade perfect Metal Slug port. It would be incredibly funny to me if the N64 can handle an arcade perfect Metal Slug via emulation!

stranno

I remember discussions about the Saturn being the best 2D machine of the generation and how the N64 couldn't handle Saturn's 2D games. And yet the Saturn couldn't handle an arcade perfect Metal Slug port. It would be incredibly funny to me if the N64 can handle an arcade perfect Metal Slug via emulation!
I haven't seen anything about the performance, but it's probably quite slow.

I'm not familiarized with libdragon, but I will try to set it up. Giovanni will provide binaries in the future.

Last edited:

Raploz

Great! Now I can use an N64 emulator to emulate the emulator running emulated NeoGeo games on N64.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

That's more the game format than the system. IE no slow CD read speeds in the arcade/cartridge format. On the flipside you got amazing Capcom games on top of SNK's best (and many SNK games that don't continuously load a long level like Metal Slug are fine too) and many more all in 1.

And once again, not the absolute top tier (how much was a NeoGeo & games at the time?) doesn't mean suddenly trash so yes, it was a great 2D system even if not as great as NeoGeo in all aspects. It did other things better like sprite scaling as shown in stuff like 60fps Outrun for example...

Saturn definitely wins in some ways, I mean it's had very successful ports from arcade machines that are definitely more powerful than CPS2 or NeoGeo like Layer Section from Taito's F3 arcade machine. And of course it could do all the sprite scaling of System 32 and then some @ double fps.

Last edited:

Agent X

That was the first thing that I thought of. If this is anywhere close to a playable speed, then it would be mighty impressive.

It could have something to do with the NeoGeo and Nintendo 64 both being cartridge-based systems, whereas Saturn was primarily disc-based.

The Saturn does have a cartridge slot, but I don't know if it could address as much memory from the cartridge as either the NeoGeo or the Nintendo 64. The issue with Metal Slug on the Saturn probably had to do with both technological and cost limitations of the media at the time, rather than its graphical capabilities.

It would be an interesting exercise for some modern programmer to develop a cartridge-based Saturn game with a similar capacity as the NeoGeo Metal Slug cartridge..

Top Bottom