• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

klee123

I didn't bother voting since I only played 3 games this year.

That said, seeing U4 being #1 just proves that the haters are extremely vocal but in the end the minority.

The result is not surprising, personally I thought Overwatch would win. The only thing I'm kind of disappointed about is that The Witness is over INSIDE.

Time to recognize the top 10 best NeoGAF users of 2016:

1. Darkness Unleashed (79)
1. Minishdriveby (79)
3. hughesta (75)
3. MegaSackman (75)
5. JDB (74)
5. Lime (74)
5. Reisläufer (74)
8. wouwie (73)
9. tootie923 (70)
10. Karl Hungus (68)

and my personal recommendations:

1. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Adventure) = 18 points
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 14 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [XB1][PS4] Overwatch (FPS) = 8 points
4. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 8 points
5. [XB1][PS4] Firewatch (Adventure) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 5 points
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Life Is Strange (Adventure) = 4 points
8. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 4 points
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 4 points
10. [XB1][PS4] DiRT Rally (Racing) = 3 points

To be honest the only ones I really want to play are Hyper Light Drifter, Final Fantasy XV and Titanfall 2

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wow, so much salt in this thread. Nintendo took the year off and Microsoft feels like its going to be on autopilot for a long time if not forever and it seems a lot of users aren't happy with that lot. Mucho hate directed straight at the GOTY winner feels like MGS4 all over again, huh.

Come to think of it, what really elevated MGS4 for me back in the day was its incredible online; MGO2. Uncharted 4 was the same for me. The single player was an exceptionally strong narrative driven experience, and the multiplayer made up for any action deficit. Updating the game with Survival and more just kept making it an even better package.

That's where #2 and #3 fell down. DOOM had a great single player but a truly shitty multiplayer that almost tanked the whole game what with it being the thing shown first. Overwatch has a great popcorn fun multiplayer, but it lacks anything else. If you get bored of the core loop, thats it you're out. Doubly so if the loot lotto fucks you over and over. They may be cool character designs but I can't give a shit about them as actual characters as their stories will never actually play out inside of the game.

Other thoughts on the results are that Gears 4 not getting even into the top 20 is pretty bad news for Xbox. They told an entire studio they'd be making nothing but Gears games and ambivalence has already set in on this enthusiast forum.

YES! Uncharted 4 was the only game that deserved it. Wasn't a great year for gaming. Although I didn't play The Last Guardian, which was definitely at a disadvantage coming so late.

GAF got it wrong last year putting Bloodborne over TW3.

No they got it right this year and last year(I didn't vote).

silva1991

This is a long ass list of recomaandation:

silva1991
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227133282&postcount=96
1. [XB1][PS4] Doom (FPS) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [XB1][PS4] Overwatch (FPS) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
3. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witness (Puzzle) = 6 points
5. [PS4] World of Final Fantasy (RPG) = 6 points
6. [PS4][PSVR] Batman: Arkham VR (Adventure) = 4 points
7. [PS4][PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 4 points
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 4 points
9. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 4 points
10. [XB1][PS4][PC] Abzu (Adventure) = 3 points
11. [XB1][PS4][PC] Watch_Dogs 2 (Adventure) = 3 points
12. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls (RPG) = 2 points
14. [PS4][PC] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 2 points
15. [PS4] Gravity Rush Remastered (Adventure) = 2 points
16. [XB1][PS4] Firewatch (Adventure) = 2 points
17. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (Platform) = 2 points
18. [XB1][PS4] Hitman (Action) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
19. [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (Strategy) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
20. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (RPG) = 1 point
21. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dishonored 2 (Adventure) = 1 point
22. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 1 point
23. [XB1][PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = 1 point
24. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Fighting) = 1 point
25. [XB1][PC] Gears of War 4 (Shooter) = 1 point
26. [PS4] Bound (Platform) = 1 point
27. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] Nights of Azure (Adventure) = 1 point
28. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Batman: The Telltale Series (Adventure) = 1 point
29. [PSV][PS4][PC] I Am Setsuna (RPG) = 1 point
30. [PS4] Stories: The Path of Destinies (Adventure) = 1 point
31. [XB1][PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (Fighting) = 1 point
32. [XB1][PC] Forza Horizon 3 (Racing) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
33. [3DS] Pocket Card Jockey (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
34. [PS4] Enter the Gungeon (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
35. [NWU] Star Fox Zero (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
36. [XB1][PC] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

I already played the bolded ones. Other than those, the only games I have interest in are WoFF, Trails and Enter the Gungeon.

BiggNife

Can't say I'm particularly surprised, though I was hoping Doom or OW would take it. And yes, I played through all of UC4, and I still think those two games are better.

Ah well. Nice to see them so high up regardless.

Endo Punk

Uncharted has come a long fucking way. The original received modest reviews and sales, a lot of criticism before and after release calling it dude rader, lara rip-off, didn't agree with those criticisms but others regarding length, linearity were right for the most part. The game feels ancient compared to what UC has become now. Cant think of another franchise that improved so extensively in the last 10 years. As far as I'm concerned it's another great piller for the third person action adventure genre.

Loudninja

Uncharted has come a long fucking way. The original received modest reviews and sales, a lot of criticism before after release for being dude rader, lara rip-off, didn't agree with those criticisms but others regarding length, linearity were right for the most part. The game feels ancient compared to what UC has become now. Cant think of another franchise that improved so extensively in the last 10 years. As far as I'm concerned it's another great piller for the third person action adventure genre.
Yeah ND should be very proud of themselves

silva1991

Uncharted has come a long fucking way. The original received modest reviews and sales, a lot of criticism before after release for being dude rader, lara rip-off, didn't agree with those criticisms but others regarding length, linearity were right for the most part. The game feels ancient compared to what UC has become now. Cant think of another franchise that improved so extensively in the last 10 years. As far as I'm concerned it's another great piller for the third person action adventure genre.

I still remember one of the UC 1 trailers back in the day. I thought it was cool balancing Nathan on the log or something by using sixaxis.

Celegus

Dang lol, wrote up my list but forgot to post it in time. It certainly didn't contain Uncharted 4, but oh well people seem really into it for some reason.

Fat4all

Banned
Thumper at 37, Rez at 52, Rhythm Heaven at 57

Not a bad showing for rhythm games! Nice to see newcomer Thumper get the top spot of the category as well.

Another year, another vote I didn't cast because I was too lazy lol. I agree with the top 5, just not the ordering. I will say I'm pleasently surprised that both TLG and DS3 made it in. The former is technically faulty and the latter sort of came and went post launch. Both great titles with a large enough following that hopefully they won't be forgotten

Forkball

I'm surprised Overwatch didn't at least get second. That game seems extremely popular on this board.

Also, Portal 2 in 2011 was the last multiplatform title to win GotY here.

----- NeoGAF 2016 VOTER CENSUS -----

rDJEm0m.png

O8gZJA0.png
Pretty impressive, 5 of the last 8 GOTY have been Playstation exclusive, 3 of which from Naughty Dog alone. I think its a safe bet to say ND are the best developer in the world right now.

Original ballot comparison with final results:
01) [005] The Last Guardian
02) [004] Dark Souls III
03) [055] Steins;Gate 0
04) [002] Doom
05) [007] Titanfall 2
06) [065] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
07) [287] Attack on Titan
08) [230] Shadow of the Beast
09) [107] Umineko: When They Cry - Question Arc
10) [019] Firewatch

Got to confess that it's really disappointing to see Zero Time Dilemma topping Steins;Gate 0, VA-11 HALL-A and Umineko in the visual novel department.

Affinity shout out!

Top Bottom