• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Comparing my Top 5 with GAF's:

1- Dark Souls III (#4)
2- Overwatch (#3)
3- FFXV (#6)
4- WoW Legion (#44)
5- SFV (#22)

Top 3 is similar, not surprised with the last two, since i played very few releases last year.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying it's not good (though I personally wasn't a fan), but GAF absolutely has a disproportionate amount of Sony fans who'll give exclusives a boost over multiplats. Same thing applies to Nintendo games, albeit to a lesser degree for obvious reasons.

Not sure if it's disproportinate when the system is dominating sales and games like UC4 and Bloodborne are critical darlings as well.

The surprise for me is Doom. Not because it isn't good - it was my number three behind The Witness and TLG - but I really thought it was between Overwatch and UC4.

McNum

Glad to see Doom do so well. That was one hell of a ride. I don't really play third person shooters, though, so I can't say if Uncharted 4 is better. I just wouldn't be qualified to make that call. It got enough votes to beat out Doom, though, so that's nice for it.

Also, while I start to worry if I'm becoming the game's champion here, I have to point this out: Gal*Gun: Double Peace is not a PS Vita exclusive, it has a PC version, too.

darklin0

Banned
4 Playstation exclusive winners in 5 years shows how strong Sony's exclusive line up has been not that NeoGAF is biased or anything silly like that.

Incidentally, the year Sony didn't win Nintendo got the top three. NeoGAF with that damn Nintendo bias/

It's Microsoft's fault for being shit

I agree, Microsoft hasn't done anything GOTY worthy in a while.

Personally some stuff would be swapped around but overall it is a great list.

Thoraxes

Great top 5.

I'll be sure to pick up DOOM one of these days. Same with Uncharted 4, when it hits $20.

And well, same with Last Guardian too, though it's the only one in the top 5 I ever had any intention of buying.

The only reason Uncharted 4 didn't place as highly on my list is while I loved the experience once I was done I haven't had any desire to go back and replay it. Compare that to say The Last of Us which I've played through 5 times.

It's a fantastic quality game but idk just didn't sink it's claws into me. Meanwhile other games like Titanfall 2, Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, and Gears 4 I just keep coming back to over and over again. But hey to each their own

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But serious: Can we talk about getting rid of genres and that platform stuff?

Not that I've found the perfect solution, but I think genres over complicate things in the modern era where games are such a mixed fruit salad. (And to break things down by platform I think is also silly because it should be about the games and developers and each other with the recommendations.)

Here are the E3 awards which I do which lack categories for the most parts:
2016 2015 2014

User Affinity
1. Lusankya (96)
2. Jamix012 (84)
3. Andrew J. (83)
3. Fireblend (83)
5. Zalman (76)
6. GustyGardner (73)
7. Xbro (72)
8. NSESN (67)
8. TWILT (67)
10. DNAbro (66)

My main recommended game being Zero Time Dilemma is funny since I was considering it as an honorable mention. Ended up not putting it on my ballot.

J 0 E

Deserved 100%

ND created a near perfect game and a new standard on storytelling and how to wrap up a series

9di2yzq4nz6y.gif

It's NeoGAF's most wanted game for 2015 and 2016 after all, ND delivered a happy ending to our expectations.

McNum

First Nintwndo game on the list is at #13... Not a good year for the company.
No, it really wasn't. Pokémon and Pokémon Go did fairly well, but there wasn't much from Nintendo in general.

I am pretty glad to see Fire Emblem Fates sneak in and grab 20th. My favorite game last year, so good on it for doing that.

Floody

5 of NeoGaf's 8 winners were published by Sony.

I don't know how you can read posts around here and not realize there's definitely a Sony slant.

How many of those games didn't win plenty elsewhere? If the answer is 0 it doesn't really prove anything.
There's unquestionably more PS4 fans here than XB1, but that's also true pretty much everywhere else too, comes with having a huge lead over the competition. I'm sure last gen a majority of users were Nintendo or 360 (though) slanted too.

First Nintwndo game on the list is at #13... Not a good year for the company.
Yeah, it's been a bummer. This was the only time ever that no Nintendo game made my list at all, not even as an honorable mention. I think only one Nintendo game was on my ballot last year too.

The last two years have been awesome too, but Nintendo has played such a small part in that awesomeness, for me at least. I really hope they can get back on track this year, I miss being excited for their games.

Stoze

why do people keep saying 2012 was a bad year?

when there are numerous games that get name-dropped for countless amounts of recommendations on this board when ever such topics get made

such games are

- sleeping dogs
- dishonored
- Kid icarus: uprising
- hotline miami
- Zero escape: vlr
- persona 4 golden
- xenoblade chronicles
- dragon's dogma
- spec ops the line
- forza horizon
- fez
- xcom

literally taken off the 2012 goty results thread
these are good, great games in their own capacity

oh but it must be a bad year cause a small budget game like journey one
would people say the same if inside won? that it was a bad year?

Also FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb, Chivalry, Torchlight 2, and The Walking Dead season 1. It was a ground breaking year for indies, but then again so is every year to an extent.

If you guys think a year is a "bad year" for games, try stepping away from the AAA space.

My recommendation list isn't as long as some people's but it's pretty solid, even if I've heard of every game:

1. Dark Souls III
2. Final Fantasy XV
3. Inside
4. Superhot
5. Rocksmith 2014 Edition Remastered
6. Monster Hunter Generations
7. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
8. VA-11 HALL-A
9. Ratchet & Clank
10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition
11. No Man's Sky
12. Pokémon Sun/Moon
13. Firewatch
14. Forza Horizon 3
15. XCOM 2
16. Hyper Light Drifter
17. The Jackbox Party Pack 3
18. FIFA 17
19. Mafia III
20. Abzu
21. Virginia
22. Day of the Tentacle: Remastered Edition
23. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS

Bolded are all games that I plan on playing (I've started a few of them). Did suggest two games that I've played and not enjoyed though (FFXV + NMS). The only weirdo rec here is Rocksmith which seems kind of out of left-field for my tastes and list.

The best game won.
This list makes sense out of every game of the year list i have seen,
Overwatch should never ever be considered game of the year over Uncharted 4, ever.

Steveo

Banned
How many of those games didn't win plenty elsewhere? If the answer is 0 it doesn't really prove anything.
There's unquestionably more PS4 fans here than XB1, but that's also true pretty much everywhere else too, comes with having a huge lead over the competition. I'm sure last gen a majority of users were Nintendo or 360 (though) slanted too.

Considering 5 of the years took place last-gen, with Sony taking 3 of the 5 years I guess there weren't more 360 fans than Sony on here even though the 360 was selling better.

Damn guys, thats one hell of an affinity list.

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - (#1)
2. The Last Guardian - (#5)
3. Inside - (#9)
4. Doom - (#2)
5. Dark Souls III - (#4)
6. Final Fantasy XV - (#6)
7. Battlefield 1 - (#18)
8. Watch_Dogs 2 - (#32)
9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - (#14)
10. Overwatch - (#3)

Not bad got the top 6 on my list.

AniHawk

good job again fellas. i really need to try overwatch - i just need a good computer.

also, uncharted 4 really wasn't what i was expecting. it's definitely easy and the drama/comedy/writing isn't anything special, but it feels way more like an action-adventure game than i expected (and from what i remember of uncharted 2), and like you're actually on this treasure hunting mission. there's dumb stuff like the non-test puzzles mostly being 'push [large heavy object] here' like naughty dog just played ocarina of time, but there's also fun videogamey stuff like swinging on a rope between pirate ships, and exploding three people with an rpg while you're still in the air (which made me want a new vanquish badly). the platforming generally is 'hold the stick in a direction and repeatedly tap 'x'', but then they mix that up with stringing together rope-swinging, needing to slide down hills the right way, and tossing in optional areas to explore for bonuses.

i kinda liked it.

also seems like i should play doom.

Radec

Sony was 3rd (or close at being 2nd) last gen on console sales and yet it did not stop its games from getting multiple goty awards. Even outside gaf too.

MisterR

I don't know how you can read posts around here and not realize there's definitely a Sony slant.

When's the last time Microsoft made a GOTY worthy game? Nintendo has won GOTY and they make great stuff. All the Sony GOTY winners were critical winners as well.

Geg

Thanks for all the hard work again!

Lol, my personal GOTYs for the last two years (Splatoon and FFXV) were gaf's #6 both years.

TheFatMan

Congrats to Naughty Dog for killing it yet again.

I think this is one of the stronger top 5 we have had in a few years. I think it's time I go buy Doom.

Pretty expected recommendations list for me. I struck out the ones I've already done and didn't make my list:

TheBigG753
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228191319&postcount=1829
1. [XB1][PS4] Overwatch (FPS) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Platform) = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions
3. [XB1] Forza Horizon 3 (Racing) = 4 points
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (RPG) = 3 points
5. [PS4][PC] Rise of the Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
6. [XB1][PS4] Final Fantasy XV (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
7. [PC] Stellaris (Strategy) = 2 points
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Slain: Back From Hell (Platform) = 2 points
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (FPS) = 2 points
10. [XB1][PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
11. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
12. [XB1][PS4][PC] Abzu (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
13. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (Platform) = 1 point
14. [PS4] Thumper (Rhythm) = 1 point
15. [XB1][PS4] Firewatch (Adventure) = 1 point
16. [NWU] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (RPG) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
17. [XB1][PS4] XCOM 2 (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
18. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
19. [3DS] Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
20. [PS4] Enter the Gungeon (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
21. [3DS] Picross 3D: Round 2 (Puzzle) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
22. [XB1][PS4][PC] Watch_Dogs 2 (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
23. [PS4] Alienation (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
24. [PC] Civilization VI (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
25. [XB1] Quantum Break (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

I already plan on doing Final Fantasy XV. I'd love to check out the Witcher III DLC at some point, but I wanted to give it some space from the main game. Probably should at least try Overwatch at some point and see if I can get into it.

I think Uncharted 4 is a remarkably average game with crippling pacing issues, but that's a fine list in my opinion otherwise.

Really glad Hitman made it into the top 10.

As others have mentioned all of those games won a lot of awards outside gaf also

Maybe Sony just makes really good games?

So FFXV gets fail of the year #5
I know it was a very small % of votes
and then gives the same game #6 GOTY?

Get your shit together, GAF! I certainly voted FFXV for my #1 GOTY and didn't mention it for FOTY.

woopWOOP

Great work like every year guys

The recommended games feature is pretty neat. My top 20 are all games I wouldn't mind trying out at one point or another... but why is some World of Warcraft expansion #1? I'm trying to curb my MMO addiction tendencies, don't pull me back into the world of endless grinding!

Also lol @ the horror winners. With all those horror indie games out there I figured a chunk of it would get some attention here. I guess those games mostly got their due in the indie game of the year voting.

jacobeid

Banned
Wow, I'm pretty far outside of the consensus this year.

All I see in these results is that more people need to play Hyper Light Drifter.

I honestly can't believe UC4 won, especially since I think it's the worst UC game. But, GAF has spoken. At least Deus Ex made the list down the line so it's a good list in general.

Korigama

Hm, not sure why Trails of Cold Steel II is listed as a Vita exclusive, particularly when the first one is listed for that and PS3. Also, Gravity Rush Remastered is missing from the overall rankings list in spite of having enough points to appear.
Great work everyone involved doing this!

SFV the best fighting game even without arcade mode?
Realistically, it was unlikely that any other fighter had the mindshare necessary to win in the same year that a new mainline SF released.

Looks like GAF agreed with most other audiences.

rDJEm0m.png

Naughty Dog has got 3 GOTY's from GAF. Uncharted is the only series to have 2 GOTY awards from GAF.

And damn, GAF's love for Bloodborne is unparalleled, as it should be <3
Bloodborne 2 would crash GAF.

the points make about as much sense as I expected. EVERYBODY loved Portal 2, Bloodborne, and the Last of Us and were on major consoles people on GAF owned(read: Playstation, lol SonyGAF). UC4 had enough across the board support to win even if it wasn't number one with a bullet like those aforementioned three, it definitely has its detractors(as they LOVE to announce themselves to everyone). Journey and Bayonetta 2 stuck out cuz the field for consensus favorites were weak...but Bayonetta was the only one who cracked a 1000 points that year lol. It would've lost to The Last Guardian in all likelihood if it came out this year.

Top Bottom