• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Seventh Generation Awards

mrmickfran

Galaxy made it over 2?

There really is justice in the world.

Heyyy, one of my comments finally made it into one of these things.

gadwn

I always miss the voting trends, and it seems I'm not alone with that. Kinda few votes huh? Or maybe neogaf is bigger in my imagination.

Thought TLOU would take this easy. It really should have imho.

Zia

I always miss the voting trends, and it seems I'm not alone with that. Kinda few votes huh? Or maybe neogaf is bigger in my imagination.

Nah. Also it placing over Dark Souls is criminal.

NeoGaf is pretty big. Some people just don't want to vote for frivolous reasons. I also thought he should have extended the deadline because the voting thread got buried during E3.

AniHawk

ballots per gen:

4: 121
5: 192
6: 479
7: 252

6th gen was the first thread, and then it started going backwards. the 7th gen had the second-most participation.

The voting thread wasn't stickied and it got kinda lost in the shuffle especially with all of the E3 threads recently. I only caught it a couple of times on the front page. I almost missed it myself.

NV is great, but I like ME-Trilogy more. NV certainly isn't top 5-7 WRPG in my book. Fallout 1+2 alone are still better games.

Depends I guess. Release day NV was so broken, I'd honestly sympathize with anyone who just refused to play that pile of trash. Content-wise I like NV over all other Fallouts and most WRPGs, including Witcher 3, for that matter. It's hard to just ignore the jank though. It's about on a level with Morrowind I'd say.

I feel like ME offered some weak WRPG content compared to New Vegas or even compared to what Bioware developed in the late 90s and early 2000s.

NYR94

Surprised to see Skyrim and especially GTAV as low as they are, otherwise the top choices are about what I expected. I guess being sales beasts doesn't impress GAF lol.

im the only guy who gave an honourable mention to splinter cell blacklist and conviction? what the fuck has the world come to.

there really should be a mp category, as good as single player games are they can't compare to the hundreds hours of fun to be had in multiplayer

Legitimately shocked dark souls didn't top the list, anyway an expected but solid top 10 of which mgs4 thankfully didn't make thus all is right with the GAF universe.

Great job with these threads Anihawk, now we have a well rounded collection of generation votes to refer to, take a well earned rest.

HMD

Surprised to see TLOU so low. /s

Anyway, do cross-gen games count in this vote? Cause I'm surprised to see no P5 or Destiny.

FLAguy954

Great job with the thread Anihawk.

That being said, this list is pretty terrible based on the games I put a ton of hours into last gen but opinions.

AniHawk

Surprised to see TLOU so low. /s

Anyway, do cross-gen games count in this vote? Cause I'm surprised to see no P5 or Destiny.

crossgen games counted. p5 is in the rankings since a few people played and voted for the ps3 version.

Permanently A

Whoa interesting, what's the rationale for Galaxy 1 above Galaxy 2? I thought the general reception was that Galaxy 2 was a sequel that improved on everything.

GamerJM

Banned
Thanks for all the hard work!

Good but somewhat predictable list. I would have expected Dark Souls to be higher than at least one Galaxy given the amount of people who would split their votes between the two but I guess now. I didn't vote for Galaxy (it was an honorable mention on my list), but I'm 100% glad with it being the number 1 of the generation. One of the standout games of our time and pure joy from start to finish.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
Whoa interesting, what's the rationale for Galaxy 1 above Galaxy 2? I thought the general reception was that Galaxy 2 was a sequel that improved on everything.

A good chunk of people voted for only one game per franchise. So I expect the choice of which Galaxy to put came down to choosing between the one that was more novel, and the one with better level design. For a lot of people Galaxy 2 also felt like an unnecessary expansion pack, so I could see why more people would put 1 over 2.

There's also probably a few people who preferred 1's story and charm over 2's "nothing but gameplay".

Don't understand Mark Of The Ninja being on the Xbox exclusive list when it's on PC also. Makes more sense to nake it exclusives only and not just console exclusives.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better, but that's like arguing 1a vs 1b.

Can't believe I forgot to vote. My quick list:

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Dark Souls
Metal Gear Rising Reveangence
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Halo 3
Pokemon Black
Spelunky
Rayman Origins
The Swapper

The top three are in that order, rest I dunno. A lot of games that would be there like Uncharted 2 and Gears of War I replayed recently and it's good, but notably surpassed and not as great as it once felt. Games like Super Mario Galaxy and Dark Souls 2 suffer from being amazing, just having a better member in their vein without being different enough to set them apart.

I miss Gen 7.

Sony

Nintendo
AniHawk, my compliments for the process and your efforts. I have to say that I'm very disappointed in this community for having ranked Halo 3 so low.

Thanks for your work, AniHawk. Seems like a very solid list...I wanted to vote, but I almost entirely skipped this generation due to school. I didn't think it was fair to vote on a gen where I barely played any of the big games. From what I did play, my list would have looked something like this:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. Bayonetta
4. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
5. The World Ends with You

Bold One

Amazing dedication and work OP - but:

Get Bayonetta out of the Top 10
rough1.png

jono51

Banned
First of all, thank you for the tremendous amount work you've put in here AniHawk. Thre thread has a really nice presentation to it.

----

The results have me questioning what went so wrong though. Not gonna lie.

57. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl - 19, 1 Honorable Mentions
95. Crysis - 10, 3 Honorable Mentions
I would expect at least one of the two best single player FPS to make it into at least the top 25.

196. Burnout Revenge - 4
283. Project Gotham Racing 4 - 2, 1 Honorable Mention

Neither of these making it into top 5 racers of the gen. GAF, what are you doing? No wonder the racing genre is dead. No wonder we will never get a new Burnout or PGR5.

176. Crackdown - 4, 6 Honorable Mentions
Stop, just stop.

66. Minecraft - 16, 4 Honorable Mentions
Like 100 million sales and only 10 of those to GAF.

To end things on a more positive note though, I do really like the way the following placed. Some of these are a real case of "I told you so" (for me, at least):

196. The Godfather: The Game - 4
228. Halo 4 - 3, 1 Honorable Mention
246. Dota 2 - 3
264. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - 2, 6 Honorable Mentions
274. DmC: Devil may Cry - 2, 3 Honorable Mentions
338. Battlefield 3 - 1, 3 Honorable Mentions
470. Blur - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

I guess like anything democratic, you've got to take the good with the bad. Until the next vote.

mxgt

Banned
Shame that New Vegas is that low, would be my #1

Then again I forgot to vote so can't really complain.

Top Bottom