• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2015 TV Show of the Year ~Results!~ (+Fail of the Year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

But, I mean, no one is going to watch Swamp People of Southern Florida Pawn Shop and Jesus Emporium because no one expects it to be good. It's not shocking when I put on a pilot for the Lifetime Original Series I Was A Happily Married Woman And Then My Husband Ended Up Being A Sex Criminal and then fifteen minutes later I spam you with turd emojis. Who wants to hear about that?

The more surprising thing is when something from a prestigious author fails (like the Newsroom, say) or a show abruptly tanks (see Downton Abbey, True Detective) or when a massive project projected to be a smash hit ends up being turdly (Terra Nova).

What are you talking about ? Downton Abbey tanking ? What ?

Thanks for putting in all of the hard work, Ratsky!

The results aren't too surprising for the most part, but it's a good template for recommending new shows for people to check out. It's a reminder to me that I need to watch Rectify and catch up on The Knick and maybe The Leftovers. Nice to see The Americans and Justified place reasonably high, too.

Hooray, I finally got a blurb posted in one of these "Of the Year" lists!

Glad to see Daredevil in the top 3 with Flash and JJ in the top ten.

I don't have any problem at all with the Fail of the Year. True Detective was a colossal failure compared to Season One, and was by far the worst thing I watched every single episode of all year. I came so very, very close to dropping TWD for the first time in a while because now I've noticed the writing starting to suck, and the characters have become more annoying than endearing. And don't even get me started on Glenn's "plot armor". If there were a vote for the worst TV moment of last year, that would be firmly my #2 just after True Detective's "Everything is Fucking".

I keep meaning to get into Fargo though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Don't really disagree with the top 20, but the order is all over the show.

Also I totally forgot to vote.

Daredevil #3 but Justified misses the top 10.

Somehow this miscarriage of both common sense and basic justice doesn't rate a mention in the Fails of the Year.

Truth.

Hmmmm....so am I the only one that likes Silicon Valley? That was definitely top 5 for me. I can't think of many shows I'd put above it. Maybe Rick & Morty, Daredevil, Better Call Saul, but SV is definitely the best non-animated comedy.

Jessica Jones in the Top 10, I see GAFs questionable taste is not confined to just games.

Uh, I think you misspelled Daredevil there. That's the comic show that has no place being in any top ten.

Sad to see no one voted for Hell on Wheels except me. Did people not like S5? I thought it was one of the better seasons. Even if it suffered from the AMC final-season-splitting crap they pulled with Breaking Bad. :\

It's not top ten material to me, but I enjoy Hell on Wheels.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks for putting this together Ratsky. I'm very glad that Fargo won, and also that my blurb was used.

I only watched like 6 shows out of the top 20... Time to get into The Leftovers, Hannibal, and give The Americans another shot.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for putting that all together, Ratsky.
(And for quoting me, I feel so special).

Top 10 doesn't surprise me too much, and it's nice to see some comedies in the top 20. I feel like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend would have done a lot better if voting was done now. There's been a big push since Rachel Bloom won the Golden Globe.

Siegcram

wait. is breaking bad over?
jvsIqgz.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sorry to anyone who didn't get their blurb featured! I originally had 3 blurbs per show, but it went way past the character limit, so I had to cut it down to 2 per show. :(

JJ made the top 10, seriously? -_- Thought it was a good show, surprised it made it that far up there. Pretty solid list. Best new show for me was definitely Mr Robot. Loved it, especially the 3rd last episode of the season which was my favorite tv show episode last year. :) Cannot wait for season 2.

Damn, just realized GoT is not even top 10. :eek:

Uh, I think you misspelled Daredevil there. That's the comic show that has no place being in any top ten.
Ehh? Daredevil is a superior show to JJ in every single way, far superior show.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Justified was so close to the top ten! Glad to see The Americans made it up there. Those two and Rectify are the three shows I voted for that I wish more people would check out. Flattered that you used a few of my blurbs too.

Thanks for all your hard work RatskyWatsky, I'm sure it's a pain to collate all that shit.

Raxus

Justified was so close to the top ten! Glad to see The Americans made it up there. Those two and Rectify are the three shows I voted for that I wish more people would check out. Flattered that you used a few of my blurbs too.

Thanks for all your hard work RatskyWatsky, I'm sure it's a pain to collate all that shit.

Justified and The Americans need more GAF love. It is a shame they weren't/aren't more popular and that they air so early in the year which makes a few forget about them.

I really don't get peoples hate for Jessica Jones but love of Daredevil or the Flash. They are fun shows but I personally felt JJ offered something a little more personal than both. It was a flawed package but it deserves more recognition as well as Agent Carter.

Still miffed everyone snubs animated shows

Comedy Central show got robbed as well.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
50. Making a Murderer - 36 - 6
52. Steven Universe - 35 - 4
53. One Punch Man - 34 - 6
54. Man in the High Castle - 32 - 7

Almost half of my top 10 bunched together. Steven Universe deserves way more love than it gets here.

I really need to watch Justified, Sherlock, Hannibal, Fargo (doubt I'll like it), The Flash, Arrow, Rectify, The Knick, The Americans, and The Leftovers.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Justified and The Americans need more GAF love. It is a shame they weren't/aren't more popular and that they air so early in the year which makes a few forget about them.

The Americans has been moving up since it started airing in these threads at least (one spot each year, woo :p). But yeah, agree with you for sure. I think some of my rankings might have been different if some of the shows were fresher in my mind, but not drastically so.

I really need to watch Justified, Sherlock, Hannibal, Fargo (doubt I'll like it) , The Flash, Arrow, Rectify, The Knick, The Americans, and The Leftovers.

Try to keep an open mind, it might surprise you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
btw, for next year's thread, I think I'm going to put a ban on anime - not that anime is overtaking the thread or anything, it's just that there's already a separate thread for Anime of the Year and any vote for an anime in here is -1 less vote for something else.

1 post per show!!

There's an idea! :D

And again I failed to make a list.

Forgive me, Ratsky.

NEVER

you are forgiven.
this time.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Eh anime is still television Ratsky. That thread is for people who watch a lot of anime, which I don't. I wasn't going to just post One Punch Man in there lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't end up voting as I missed too many of the "top shows" this year, but I was wondering how much I could have helped Rectify by placing it first, looks like it might have gained one spot.

A little surprised The Jinx was so low, and Making a Murderer too, considering how much hype is surrounding the show.

Raxus

btw, for next year's thread, I think I'm going to put a ban on anime - not that anime is overtaking the thread or anything, it's just that there's already a separate thread for Anime of the Year and any vote for an anime in here is -1 less vote for something else.

Personally, I like this thread is so inclusive. There are a lot of shows to watch and it would be a shame if we shuffled off shows to be ignored (more) than they already are. I try and make recommendations to have people try new shows outside of shows that are just popular on GAF/outside their comfort zone.

Ultimately it is your decision.
A little surprised The Jinx was so low, and Making a Murderer too, considering how much hype is surrounding the show.
If you come out too early in a year you risk being forgotten and too late you wind up being on the back burner for a lot of viewers (myself included). Damn shame too since I constantly hear good things.

LaNaranja

Because anime hasn't overtaken this list I feel it is ok to leave it as acceptable. Hell, it looks like only One Punch Man and Prison School made it to the top 100. If American cartoons count I don't see why Japanese ones shouldn't.

Sober

GAF's ongoing hatred for Jessica Jones is baffling to me. I don't see it anywhere else.

But I guess its placement on the list means it's not actually a majority of GAF, so it has that going for it.
Both DD and JJ are flawed in one way or another so it's odd people are willing to overlook the flaws of one show and not the other.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm fine with banning anime with the exception that RWBY is allowed because I refuse to recognize it as anime.

TripOpt55

Great job with the thread Ratsky. Always fun to see how the results shake out. And I'm always happy to get a blurb included!

ZombAid82

Fargo would've been much higher up on my list if the endings of its last two episodes were completely different. Didn't ruin the season for me as a whole, but
the UFO intervention and Hanzee pointlessly set up to become a different character
kicked it several notches down for me.

Good list. Really don't see the big deal about Game of Thrones or House of Cards' last seasons, but whatever.

Excatly how I felt about Fargo!
Why the fucking UFO, it was so shitty!!!
Ruined the whole season for me.
Also, why the
Fightclub-Ending
in Mr.Robot, seemed extremely "glued" on imo.
Was very promising as it started, but overall a letdown further in...
P.S.: GOT Awful!!!!

Blader

Didn't end up voting as I missed too many of the "top shows" this year, but I was wondering how much I could have helped Rectify by placing it first, looks like it might have gained one spot.

Making a Murderer came out at the very end of the year, though, didn't it? A lot of people may not have finished it in time. I'm still only halfway through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom