• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 Update: A Space Odyssey

Nymphae

Banned
I dislike change for the sake of change, and really loved the way old Gaf looked. This looks hideous to me in comparison, but I'm in the minority I guess.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hey it's pretty cool. Nice to see a visual overhaul that doesn't wreck usability. I'm personally more a fan of blockier UIs with smaller elements, but I can live with this.

Last edited:

Blam

Regarding being 'only ok' with.

Please examine the setup of your browser with which you are logged in. There is already a separator; something is interfering with your display of the site.

qgWPrzO.png

I mean imo I still think that this looks better then the above. Personally it stands out way more with the orange then it would with a little slab of red. Sorta the similar problem we had originally with the first theme that was put on XF.

i2LeLlN.png

Ichabod

Banned
Gonna take some getting used to but, so far, I dig it. Big ups to everyone who put the work in on the redesign. You guys rock :messenger_horns:

dirthead

Banned
I dislike change for the sake of change, and really loved the way old Gaf looked. This looks hideous to me in comparison, but I'm in the minority I guess.

Yup. It's the typical "butcher desktop for mobile" redesign. It looks fine on phones. It looks like a fucking content management system on a desktop. Did I just open up someone's Wordpress admin page, or something?

Nymphae

Banned
I'm not sure I like the idea to give every thread a thumbnail of the user who created it. It messes with where I want to look, whereas I used to just read the thread titles. This might sound nitpicky. Maybe it is.

Blam

Yup. It's the typical "butcher desktop for mobile" redesign. It looks fine on phones. It looks like a fucking content management system on a desktop. Did I just open up someone's Wordpress admin page, or something?
It's the spacing between posts.

Nymphae

Banned

Yeah I primarily use desktops to read Gaf, and this does not feel like an improvement.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
I mean imo I still think that this looks better then the above. Personally it stands out way more with the orange then it would with a little slab of red. Sorta the similar problem we had originally with the first theme that was put on XF.

i2LeLlN.png

I misunderstood what you were trying to explain; thank you for the photo. Sometimes worth a thousand... :)

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
L4Nx0oo.jpg

OlnAPZm.jpg

Not a big fan of the white lines in the alert window. If you have a lot of alerts, it becomes a bit cluttered. Maybe remove them or make them a bit darker? The old alert window was absolutely fine to read without them.

Still working through a lot of this feedback, but this particular issue has been remedied hopefully to satisfaction. The alert window in the dark theme now uses the same grey separator as the thread list.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm usually on an iPad and I miss the forum links being menu bar that locks to the top of the page when I scroll down. The one that lets me get back to the main page of the gaming forum no matter where I am in the thread with a single click. Now I have to open the hamburger menu to get to them. The extra click kind of sucks and adding extra clicks isn't the best Ux change. Is there a force desktop setting or is that gone?

But the look and feel is good. I like that.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Damn, I woke up to take a pee, grabeed my phone afterwards thinking I'll just take a look on GAF and BOOM HEADSHOT. Beautiful redesign, love it.

dhMeAzK.gif

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I haven't had a chance to check everything out in detail yet, but from I can see the update seems great! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Pallas

Looking sexy, was a pleasant surprise when I loaded up this webpage on my phone. You guys/gals ever thought about potentially making some form of mobile app for n the future?

It’s a lot better on phones by the way and love the modern touch. Best to use the dark theme on mobile.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My only feedback is I hate how much space is wasted at the top of the mobile site, you have to scroll pretty far to even start reading post. Very annoying. I also strongly dislike how the avatars show on the topic list. It looks cheap and ugly.

Pallas

Sorry if it’s been mentioned before and honestly it’s not a big issue, I’m just used to seeing notifications on the upper right corner, instead of clicking the tab on the left corner.

It’s not a big deal though, and not a deal breaker by any means, I’m just wondering if it’s intentional. I could easily see myself not realizing how many notifications I have since it’s hidden. XD

Maybe add the bubbly number of the amount of combined notifications and private messages that you have in the new area where its viewable so you don’t accidentally forget about it.

bitbydeath

Sorry if it’s been mentioned before and honestly it’s not a big issue, I’m just used to seeing notifications on the upper right corner, instead of clicking the tab on the left corner.

It’s not a big deal though, and not a deal breaker by any means, I’m just wondering if it’s intentional. I could easily see myself not realizing how many notifications I have since it’s hidden. XD

Maybe add the bubbly number of the amount of combined notifications and private messages that you have in the new area where its viewable so you don’t accidentally forget about it.

Yeah, turning the phone to landscape fixes that, but then you lose a lot more screen real estate. I’d much rather seeing notifications and maybe even subscribed posts higher than any other buttons.

Nobody PM’s me :-(

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
Please keep the feedback coming for things that may be important to you. I've used likes to try and indicate my position within the thread - and specifically for no other reason.

Every message to this point has been read, and every single message posted here will be read. We've received a considerable amount of constructive feedback; this will be used to refine our roadmap going forward.

It's been an exhilarating process - thank you all for being a part of it!

Domisto

the hamburger is good. the hamburger is my friend. watched threads, trending, communities, access is good. and good to have the flexibility to hide it, but i wont.

also v. interested to see what you have in store for communities

and everyone went on about dark theme so much i clicked it. yeah. that's the one. easier to read. and the reply box is like an orange neon playpen.

decisions

Wow great work guys! As someone studying web design I really like what's been done here, there are many clever solutions involved that make for a good UX.

I'll have more detailed feedback as I use the new site some more, but at first glance the only criticism I can really give is that the site's animations aren't very smooth like the old one was. Scrolling is a bit laggy and collapsing/opening hamburger menu just happens in what's basically a big chug. Safari, MacBook Pro 2018 here. These are relatively minor gripes though. I would say the site overall feels very responsive.

Last edited:
Whoa! Not sure what I think of this.

Way way way took much orange. At least give us access to change colors to our preference. ***This is theee biggest slap in my face. These orange color reminds me of my arch nemesis . <<<<<<Hissss! Roll Tide!!!!!! "Everybody wants BAMA"!, Evilore. 😄

+
Side bar is fantastic
Arrow up and down is godsend
Dark theme at the top looks great.

-
*Neogaf logo: orange and silver please. White don't look good on it.

*Way too much orange. it feels too domineering on this forums!

*Flip the colors:

1. User name in (orange) : report/like/quote/reply in (teal green).

2. User name in (teal green) : report/like/quote/reply in (orange).

#2 is easier on my eyes.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

TLZ

Banned
A little suggestion if I may. Any chance the colors of the likes be different to the blue beneath it? Just to separate them from each other. Orange or whatever else.

Corderlain

Banned
Any chance on mobile we can get some sort of zoom out or don't size options? I used to be able to view seven or eight posts without having to scroll and now I'm barely getting three.

Papa

Banned
Yeah the orange is a bit in your face imo. Any option to use the old GAF layout like reddit offers?

arhra

Press the hamburger menu in the top left; the navigation bar will minimize into the left of your browser window.
This doesn't seem to be working in Edge.

In a smaller window, when the sidebar is hidden, the hamburger does work, and pops out the menu, but in a fullscreen window with the sidebar shown, it does nothing.

edit: hang on, now it is working. So never mind.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Also, the politics subforum should have the red theme because everyone is always angry.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wow, definitely the biggest change since I've been here.
Overall I quite like it, looks fresh and seems there's some nice new features. I can also finally check notifications on my phone while holding it vertically (to be fair maybe it was doable before but I never figured out how).

The only things I'd change, though it's nothing major:
- I wish on both mobile and desktop I could avoid the top bar with the neogaf logo/search bar to scroll with the screen (didn't see an option to disable this after a quick look at the settings)
- A nitpick but I don't particularly like the look of every thread having a "thumbnail" with the avatar of whoever created it

Seems great, congrats to everyone involved. I didn't like it at first until I remembered to turn in the dark theme (and it is true what they say, you never do come back) and now it's peachy. One thing I noticed is that scrolling the thread really fast turns the screen white for a bit and that's not awesome (it could always be my shit laptop), I'm a believer on everything else.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
One thing I noticed is that scrolling the thread really fast turns the screen white

I believe this may be due to poor refresh rate / screen quality / page rendering, but if this might not be the case, please PM me with the non-personal specifics of your platform, including hardware, OS, and browser used so I can attempt to replicate the test environment and then the issue?

Thank you! Caught up to here!

Top Bottom