• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Improvements for NeoGAF Gold Live Updates

OverHeat

« generous god »
perfection GIF
Gold!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven’t delved into the settings once I was a gold member but can you turn off live updates?

I remember back in old gaf when I had gaf browser extension that had a refresh symbol at the bottom of the page where you can easily turn off live updates whenever you want.

However the live update only working once you are at the most recent page is a welcome change. It constantly messed me up while I was reading threads that were pages long as well as when I was typing a reply. Good work everyone! Thanks for making the browsing experience better.

You can now (there's a checkbox to disable it), you couldn't before AFAIK (I've looked for it, as I found the old behavior extremely annoying). But with how it works now I'll leave it on.

Fuz

Banned
Every time there's any sort of update I'm mortally worried you break something or add annoyances to my workflow.
2Rce3.gif

But this seems pretty cool and harmless.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fantastic updates. Really happy about the new replies only being shown if you are on the last page. If only we had E3 keynotes to fully enjoy the feature.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Palliasso Palliasso and EviLore EviLore

With the Chrome browser there is the ability to add a website to the home screen on Android so the website functions like an app. The last couple of days, my "app" version of the site no longer detects my rotation settings. I have my phone set up to not auto-rotate, because I lay in bed while perusing and I don't want it to move into landscape mode. It seems awfully coincidental that this stopped working around the same time that the changes were implemented. If I open the site in the browser itself, it won't auto-rotate. Just the "app" version has this issue.

Can one of you review this and see if this is something that was overlooked or accidentally removed?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
No Updates Unless You're On The Last Page

Previously, replies would get added to a thread even if you weren't on the last page. This led to replies sometimes being out-of-order for people who were reading earlier pages in a thread. With this new update, new replies will only be added to the page if you're on the newest page of a thread. The result should be perfectly ordered threads without any confusion.
Sorry to bump this thread but this does not work.

Just go to any of the Starfield Review Thread pages and you will get new posts at the bottom of the page, making everything out of order and a pain to follow, having to disable Live.

I tried clearing cache, disabling all extensions, private mode. It still updates on any page.

Gold Member
Well I disabled Live but it still updates... :(

EDIT : confirmed by monitoring this topic from the first page and posting myself.
Yeah it’s broken for me as well mate. I’ve had it disabled since it came out but it acts the same. Tried clearing cache etc like you but no dice. Figured someone would fix it sooner or later lol

I've been gifted gold but I don't know where to go to pay for it myself. Where be the link?
Edit - I found it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Just go to any of the Starfield Review Thread pages and you will get new posts at the bottom of the page, making everything out of order and a pain to follow, having to disable Live.

I tried clearing cache, disabling all extensions, private mode. It still updates on any page.
Same issue. Gold just expired but hesitant to resub as reading the forum is weird if you in an active thread. I'll sub in a heartbeat if it worked as intended.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Oh good, I was thinking about posting the same. When the Starfield scores went live the thread became hell. New posts popping up at lightspeed even if I wasn’t on the last page.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Well, at least the setting to disable Live does something : it disables the notification updates and you have to check manually or refresh, so I enabled it back as I like that feature.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, also noticed that today. Also got like 50 "There are more posts, do you want to load them?" in a row on one such page. Something isn't quite right.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So, will the live bug be fixed someday ?
Going into very active topics like the Xbox Developer Direct one is just awful, it shows loops of the posts again and again as they are posted too quickly.

And disabling the live stuff does not even work in threads, it only disable live notifications, which is what I want to keep...

Now I just wish I did not benefit from the gold stuff, I just wanted to support the forum and disable ads the right way, not make the forum a pain to use with a broken feature that you can't disable because the disabled thing is broken too.

mortal

Gold Member
There seem to be a few issues with the site. In addition to the live thread bug, page loading still tends to slow to a crawl.
I'm assuming an increase in visitors to the site has something to do with it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There seem to be a few issues with the site. In addition to the live thread bug, page loading still tends to slow to a crawl.
I'm assuming an increase in visitors to the site has something to do with it.
I heard the site was dying. 🤷‍♂️

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I was so annoyed by that live thread updates that messes up the posts in active threads (even when not on last page, and sometimes even scrolling the page) that I had to wrote a rule in uBlockOrigin.

As Gold doesn't have ads, having uBlock enabled or not it does not change much so to disable the live thread (but keep the live reactions and notifications), just add this line in My Filters :
Code:
||neogaf.com/threads/*/new-posts*$xhr

That's it, no more new post annoyance.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Palliasso Palliasso / EviLore EviLore

Small request/suggestion. When GAF sends a push notification about a post reaction, it would be cool if the actual reaction was written near the beginning of the notification.

sTZk5l2.jpg

So instead of “balls of snow reacted to your post in…”, it would be neat if it said “balls of snow Liked your post in…” since, more often than not, my notification cuts off the end of the text, which is where it says what kind of react it was.

Very small and not important, but it’d be a neat little QoL improvement the next time you guys are making changes to the notification system. 😁

Thanks for considering!

Last edited:
Top Bottom