• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Underground 2: RTX Remix Remaster Gameplay (4K 60FPS) — IGN

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like the mod loses a lot of the visual identity of the original. You want those persistently wet streets and tons of neon and bright city lights. The mod also makes the interior of the car look like it's filled with cum.
I also feel like nobody is mentioning the fact that it is reflecting the fucking guide arrow lmao

This shit sucks

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Hip Hop Netflix GIF by rhythmandflow

Mowcno

The remix looks great. Not sure why they chose to compare to crappy resolution old version though. Run them both at the same resolution so you can see what the RTX Remix is actually doing.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
There is no sense of speed whatsoever.

Also this game has the #1 worst rubber band A.I. of any racer ever made. You can be leading for over 5 minutes and have a flawless race and then screw up slightly on the last corner of a race and be immediately passed. The only thing legendary about this game was the car customization for the time and the soundtrack.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The paint is matte and there's some issues because it's still a mod in development. It's just like the GTA6 leak, people just don't understand it's not final and criticizes it...
Even in the video IGN said it's still in development.

Quote from the mod description :
Current limitations:
Player and opponent cars will have a matte material
Neons and other colored lights will appear white.
There can be some light pop-in. Fixes for these will be implemented in the next release.

Larxia

I absolutely hate how these comparison are always done, with a low resolution for the older version, it's completely unfair. Put the original at a decent resolution and it looks way better than the mod.
It seems like a lot of people think rendering a game in HD is actually additional work or something.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is pretty solid evidence that artistic style is almost always more striking than photorealism. Now, obviously the models in the RTX version aren’t photorealistic, but the lighting attempts to be.

When you compare that to the stylized lighting of the original, it’s clear that the RTX version looks so much more watered down and homogenized. diffusionx diffusionx got it right, soul vs soulless.

This is one of the reasons why the constant pursuit of closing the gap on photorealism in games has never excited me (past the PS2 era). It turns out most of real life looks pretty tame and boring compared to what an artist can create.

Buggy Loop

It’s nowhere near done, why bother comparing?

GTA San Andreas come to mind, huge progression from early attempts and now (still not done)

Top Bottom