• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 16 Demo and Facescan live!

ViciousDS

Banned
EA has launched a demo for NBA Live 16 on Xbox Live and will soon be available on PlayStation Network.
The free demo for NBA Live 16 features the brand-new LIVE Pro-Am mode, competitive LIVE Run, and cooperative Summer Circuit. The demo also offers an offline experience as players can choose one of six NBA teams to play in an exhibition game or learn the small nuances of the game in the Learn LIVE tutorials.
The demo also allows players to customize and progress their in-game character by playing LIVE Pro-Am and then transferring their progress to the full game when it launches on September 29. All unlocked skills, upgrades, gear, and more will be transferrable, allowing players to get a two-week jump ahead of the competition.
NBA Live 16 will launch on September 29 on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/91...now-available-transfers-progress-to-full-game

After a one-week delay, NBA Live 16's face-scanning app hit mobile storefronts yesterday, and you know what? It's not half-bad! Certainly nowhere close to the trainwreck of an experience I had trying to get my noggin scanned into NBA 2K15 last year.

The app is available for Android and iOS devices. It launched for Android devices first (which I don't have) and I'd heard rumblings about problems late in the day on Monday, so I braced for the worst. While I can't speak to the Android version's capabilities, using my iPhone 6 was about as easy as it looked when the app was demoed at E3 2015, minus a couple of lock-ups that were easily resolved by dismissing the program and restarting it.

There's also a tutorial video if you're having trouble. This is my very first attempt, shot in my office against a blank wall with the window blinds open and fluorescent overhead lighting.

co85ribwgaazf-m.jpg-large.0.jpeg

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/15/9330629/nba-live-16-face-scanning-app

Can't wait to get home and get to it!

post your face scan here and for those who don't know the polygon editor......here is his amazing video of the nba 2k15 facescan attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuW2aFx_1Oo

I also did facescanning and it was a brutal experience. Hopefully using a much better camera in a smart phone will ease the process and pain of transferring your character over.

Also ALL PROGRESS CARRIES into the full game from this demo!

I'm not that excited into NBA live due to the amazing changes to 2k16 this year. But a demo is always welcomed to let me know how good the online is going to be and how the gameplay is.

US PS store link

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=UP0006-CUSA02099_00-NBALIVE16DEMOEAS

ViciousDS

Banned
Face is rendering now......holy shit it's fast at taking the pic and then it sends photo to server farms to render. Even just taking the picture took seconds, if it renders decent they easily have 2K beat in the face scanning department because that was a joke last year.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anyone try the demo? How's the gameplay?

I can actually say it's not Bad. Much smoother and more friendly. Some of the animations for dunking and lay ups look weird but that's because your character can make contact with anyone anytime without being stuck in an animation. I literally piled three guys on lebron as he tried trucking his way through and it honestly looked really good. New shot meter and player marking is pretty cool, a cone near the base of your character will tell you if the player is close enough for contested, guarded or open shot.

I only played one match but wow I actually have faith that EA can turn the live name around. It's still not the greatest but I don't think I've ever been able to play my first game and dominate against the AI like I did for an NBA love title.

Also teammates for the most part do not stop moving they constantly set off ball screens to get shooters and slashers open lanes....no one sits still and that was the biggest problem last year.

I still think 2k is going to be better just on production alone. But EA is getting really damn close to reaching them in such a short period. They just need to fix animations

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Is the demo online MP only? Store description says that it includes two multiplayer modes

Mik317

The game is playable this year. Still a little laggy (2k suffers from this too tho) in the controls and defensively it feels random. Also 3s are super easy..then again KD gonna KD. It is still missing something tho..but for the first time in damn near a decade, EA has something here.

so of course they will scrap it for gimmicks next year...

PrinceKee

I'm looking forward to all the abominations people create with the facescan! Last year was hysterical.

That was NBA2K15 facescan this is NBA Live. Live uses your cell phone and is shockingly pretty accurate considering 2K's used the PS Eye and Kinect and weren't as good. That said judging from this Live 16 demo EA is making strides, but there's still too many things wrong with it for it to be worth $60 to me. It is fun in it's own way though...

Bizzquik

Tried to like this demo, but as an NBA Seattle Sonics fan, that required unskippable start is like shoving the knife deeper in my wound. Immediately uninstalled.

I think I will like the new Relocation feature of 2K16. Time to Re-Relocate a team....

ViciousDS

Banned
Is the demo online MP only? Store description says that it includes two multiplayer modes

there is still the standard full game offline play. I only hit play last night, so I'm not sure if its more than Cavs and OKC

but yes, 3's are really easy in this.......KD had like a 65% chance of making them at the height of his shot lol.

Korezo

i was all hype for this game to then find out it don't have a park mode with 2v2 or 3v3, but only 5v5... please tell me im wrong.. whats so hard about adding a 3v3. No basketball game for me this year.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well I'm screwed, my render is stuck in limbo, has been for 12 hours and you can't rescan until your current one renders lol. Wow!

jmizzal

Well I'm screwed, my render is stuck in limbo, has been for 12 hours and you can't rescan until your current one renders lol. Wow!

My skin got messed up too lol

But I have to say this is the best NBA live in a while, 2K better bring their A game

ViciousDS

Banned
My skin got messed up too lol

But I have to say this is the best NBA live in a while, 2K better bring their A game

it truly is......if EA can bring production to a career mode and keep amping up what they have been doing. I mean its amazing how big of a difference you see going from Live14-15-16 really is. NBA 2K you only notice it truly on paper for the most part or the change of direction in the story mode.

If EA can keep this up it hopefully will get 2K off their asses.

hbkdx12

it truly is......if EA can bring production to a career mode and keep amping up what they have been doing. I mean its amazing how big of a difference you see going from Live14-15-16 really is. NBA 2K you only notice it truly on paper for the most part or the change of direction in the story mode.

If EA can keep this up it hopefully will get 2K off their asses.

Im not a basketball connoisseur when it comes to video game releases so i don't really have a dog in the fight between 2k and live but as someone who played 2k14, i felt like playing the demo for live there's a lot that they do better but some things that are missing that would make it hard for me to want to make the transition to play live over 2k

The animations are great. The speed felt good. I find the onscreen indicators very informative and and intuitive. I liked being able to see how closely guarded i was. I liked the vertical jumpshot indicator. The commentary felt pretty authentic

But the things that'd make me want to stick with 2k is the fact that you can shoot with the right stick which i find more intuitive as you do dribble moves into the post. It felt weird to do dribbles with the right stick in live and get an open look to the basket but then switch my thumb to square to finish off the shot.

I also think the graphics in 2k are superior. The graphics in live are fine. They're not bad by any stretch but they look like a video game. Like, you can tell that's exactly what it is; a video game. 2k damn sure isn't photo realistic but on various occasions i've had people walk into the room while i played 2k14 and upon first glance they thought i was actually watching a real game on tv.

Lastly, i enjoy the mycareer mode in 2k. In fact, its the only reason i'd by 2k. I never play online as i suck terribly and i don't like playing exhibition games with regular teams because i don't like switching between players. So i was disappointed when i went through the trouble of making a character in live only to be able to use them online which i have zero plans to do.

But overall what's there was fun.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

dude i know this is giant bomb hahah i wanted to quote you but i saw the address giant bomb.

this is jeff gerstman right ?
what a powerfull tech he looks so real.
only thing that does not match is his real life sexy body :(

ViciousDS

Banned
Im not a basketball connoisseur when it comes to video game releases so i don't really have a dog in the fight between 2k and live but as someone who played 2k14, i felt like playing the demo for live there's a lot that they do better but some things that are missing that would make it hard for me to want to make the transition to play live over 2k

The animations are great. The speed felt good. I find the onscreen indicators very informative and and intuitive. I liked being able to see how closely guarded i was. I liked the vertical jumpshot indicator. The commentary felt pretty authentic

But the things that'd make me want to stick with 2k is the fact that you can shoot with the right stick which i find more intuitive as you do dribble moves into the post. It felt weird to do dribbles with the right stick in live and get an open look to the basket but then switch my thumb to square to finish off the shot.

I also think the graphics in 2k are superior. The graphics in live are fine. They're not bad by any stretch but they look like a video game. Like, you can tell that's exactly what it is; a video game. 2k damn sure isn't photo realistic but on various occasions i've had people walk into the room while i played 2k14 and upon first glance they thought i was actually watching a real game on tv.

Lastly, i enjoy the mycareer mode in 2k. In fact, its the only reason i'd by 2k. I never play online as i suck terribly and i don't like playing exhibition games with regular teams because i don't like switching between players. So i was disappointed when i went through the trouble of making a character in live only to be able to use them online which i have zero plans to do.

But overall what's there was fun.

you are pretty much dead on the money...........but switch from 2k14 to 2k15 and you will actually see an overall drop in fidelity but better facial scans. They traded off beautiful looking arenas and lighting compared to what was in 2k14.

Another thing is how much the crowd actually gets into the match in Live vs 2k..........I noticed EA really, really focuses on atmosphere really well in their sports games. But I could shoot a tie 3 in Live and the entire arena explodes. In 2k I could tie the game and it just doesn't have the same feeling.

dreamfall

I want more impressions! Haven't been by my console yet, so I won't get to it until tomorrow. Competition is always good, excited to see what they bring to the table - Live has been a pretty terrible series for awhile. I think Mike Wang in 2010 brought it to a good level, and everything went downhill after that.

Excited to see how they've tried to revive the franchise!

beasty

The new NBA 2k actually looks pretty interesting.

For this demo, I like the quickness of the online match making. You can get a 5 vs 5 running in 2 minutes without even having a crew. Rebounding actually works in this game. The animations are a little funky but its not as bad as the previous games. Its a good game.

jmizzal

The new NBA 2k actually looks pretty interesting.

For this demo, I like the quickness of the online match making. You can get a 5 vs 5 running in 2 minutes without even having a crew. Rebounding actually works in this game. The animations are a little funky but its not as bad as the previous games. Its a good game.

Yea I tried Live 15 on EA Access and it was awful I just couldnt play it, I have been down on Live for a while. I was a big Live person, didnt like 2K until 2K5 and been there ever since.

This is by far the best Live in years, but the issue for them is 2K16 is gonna have Pro AM this year with quick matches too, and also with have full customization of your team, arena and logos.

I will still be 2K16 first but will def keep an eye on Live 16 and play it fully once its on EA access, its a good game this year.

I wish Madden and comp to get them off there butts

ViciousDS

Banned
They really had a chance to steal at least the online community from 2K. The problem is the game suffers from major frame rate issues and has the same input delay as 2K does. I don't understand how hard it is to make it so the input is client-side. why The fuck does everything need to ring to a server and back before your shot goes off.

Progression for the series is nice.

Patches this season should really add a lot.

They have to re-animate all animations around the rim though.

Summer Circuit is fun. I can only imagine the teams in the Terminal 23 bracket.

The team did a solid job this cycle. They should be proud. But going up against Mike Wang and Rob Jones is a tall task.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
NBA Live is trending on Twitter from people using the facescan feature and complaining about the player likenesses. Since when has a game ever trended just from complaining?

jmaine_ph

Jesus Christ NBA Live. Just hang it up.

Edit: Actually no don't hang it up because competition is good but please scrap this and start from scratch.

Top Bottom